Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Yeah! Grow the game. Alow headshots to take out stars of the game in the most important games of the year!

Go NHL!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/BretHart/status/1505728866442043393

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bret Hart can eat poo poo

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I hope he does but mostly so that Nemeth has to play
That's very cruel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shinjobi posted:

Bret Hart can eat poo poo

I'm afraid the greatest wrestler to come from Dallas is dead, and so is most of his family.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Edward Mass posted:

I'm afraid the greatest wrestler to come from Dallas is dead, and so is most of his family.

This is a topic that came up today

My landlord came over to fix a ceiling fan himself, as he is a tinkering sort. He saw I was watching wrestling, then chose to tell me about how his son once pulled over on the highway because a Von Erich was violently beating his girlfriend outside their (presumably) beaten down car. He then tells me he thinks that Von Erich killed himself later. With all that said, he felt the ceiling fan was officially fixed (it was), and he left me sitting there bewildered as to why he felt like sharing that story as his outro.

And then the Stars pooped their pants. Happy Wednesday.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Saw the Caps were up 3-0 before I went to bed. Knew there was a 70% chance I'd wake up and they'd have blown it.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1524601271251918851
https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1524602294473424896

That bar-down noise and the crowd reaction... so good.

Just hook it to my veins.

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 12, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Got a ticket for leafs g7, super fuckin hoping to not attend

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Gonna be real interested to see what Jake Oettinger gets paid on his next contract

TeamJesus posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1524602294473424896

That bar-down noise and the crowd reaction... so good.

Just hook it to my veins.

That PING sound has shades of Sundin's OT winner against the sens from nearly a quarter of a century ago: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxdky7ycccg

aejix fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 12, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

aejix posted:

Gonna be real interested to see what Jake Oettinger gets paid on his next contract

That PING sound has shades of Sundin's OT winner against the sens from nearly a quarter of a century ago: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxdky7ycccg

I think he's been part of the reason they've been competitive, I gotta think they'll offer him max years at like 6-8 million aav

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1524741560813957121

gently caress you Trouba. gently caress you New York Rangers. gently caress you NHL.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
guess I need to find a better video of this than one still screen and one video that barely shows it

looks like he did get his arm out there a bit so not great

on the other hand if it turns the series around for the rangers then "playoff hockey" it is

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Levitate posted:

guess I need to find a better video of this than one still screen and one video that barely shows it

on the other hand if it turns the series around for the rangers then "playoff hockey" it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL-CelREvkA

Pens broadcast so heads up on that.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://twitter.com/tberny7/status/1524746620918673408?s=21 different angle, can barely see anything tho

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think he's been part of the reason they've been competitive

Personally I think he's the only reason they've been competitive this series... Dude is lights out and has to be because Dallas is creating absolutely nothing out there.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I"m biased as hell but that 2nd angle sure looks like elbow to head and then collision not that it should matter.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That would have been a nice legal hit if you just kept the elbow down.

Some hits have a raised elbow because the hitter raised his entire torso to reach the hitee. But in this case, Trouba raises only his elbow. His elbow gets above his shoulder. There is no natural reason for that kind of movement. Pure headshot attempt.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

It’s all just the one angle and I can’t make up my mind on it. Which means there’s a good chance that it’s not going to be anything. The head contact hit to Bennett the other night before Washington scored was much more clear and head contact first, but nothing has come of that at all. I wouldn’t expect they do anything about it when you look at the others that have happened this week. I’m not sure the elbow doesn’t come up after the contact either. Tough when you can only see one camera angle and you can only see the aftermath of the contact clearly because Trouba’s back is in the way.

E: look at how the elbow comes out when the stick gets caught on Crosby’s trailing leg. Really surprised there are 4 different cameras out on this.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think he meant to hurt him but he meant to get a piece of him and used his elbow to do it. At some point it's got to be like boarding where the onus is on the hitter and not the dude getting brained.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly who cares. If Trouba get suspended or if he doesn't he already did the damage. Trouba for Crosby is a trade the Rangers make 10/10 times.

Would be pretty irritating to lose the series in this fashion, but that's how it goes sometimes. I honestly don't think the Pens have good enough depth to win the cup so ultimately whatever I guess but this is still an awful way to go out if indeed they do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about we advance to the stage where we don't try to judge intent of a hit and use that to inform punishment. If there's head contact or an injury, it's a suspension.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

kinda looks to me like he tried to turn his shoulder into crosby but when you're reaching forward like that with the stick and then try to move your shoulder forward, it's gonna rotate the elbow up (as I sit there trying to mimic the movement and looking dumb)

I mean, if you're not targeting the opposing teams top players and trying to punish them game in and game out then you're doing it wrong in the NHL playoffs but this feels a bit less "intentional head shot" and more "got careless trying to get a piece"

which in theory should still be punishable and all but definitely have doubts the NHL would do anything at this point

e: in general I'm pretty irritated with the Rangers this series in that they obviously have not learned how to raise their game for the playoffs and the Pens are doing so. If they can come back and at least force a game 7 I guess that's at least good learning experience for them

Igor definitely looks like he has nerves for whatever reason...whether it's playing on the road in the playoffs or what

Levitate fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 12, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

Personally I think he's the only reason they've been competitive this series... Dude is lights out and has to be because Dallas is creating absolutely nothing out there.

Pavelski probably deserves some credit, he has almost half their goals

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

e: in general I'm pretty irritated with the Rangers this series in that they obviously have not learned how to raise their game for the playoffs and the Pens are doing so. If they can come back and at least force a game 7 I guess that's at least good learning experience for them

Igor definitely looks like he has nerves for whatever reason...whether it's playing on the road in the playoffs or what

Pretty good chance they'll win it if Crosby is out. Carter looks like trash and this injury would bump him way too high up the depth chart. Shesterkin still looked nervous to me last night but he was a bit better than earlier in the series and the Rangers defended better than they have recently.

We'll see what happens but this injury has series turner written all over it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Looks like a clean hit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1524760566283358209

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It rules how the NHL doesn't give the slightest poo poo about defending its stars

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

It rules how the NHL doesn't give the slightest poo poo about defending its stars

Neither does the NHLPA apparently.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Maybe he can get Guentzel too by game 7, the first period attempt wasn't quite on target

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
winning despite Matt Tkachuk turning into a pumpkin is glorious. God can you imagine this team with a healthy Sean Monahan?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Trouba’s had a few of these hits this year, notably murdering Khaira.

https://youtu.be/rX3LzKY0TlE

https://youtu.be/n4ClxlW6fZM

https://youtu.be/xQ88DqtWoAE

He’s kind of mastered it, all pretty good hits besides the Sid one imo

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

aejix posted:

That PING sound

Gretzky had it, and lost it.
https://youtu.be/d8RdJrzNHHg

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The NHL does care about its stats. The NHL also thinks it’s stars are Tom Wilson, Brad Marchand and other “tough guys” because that’s what makes hockey hockey. Those are the real men that people watch playoff hockey for, not wusses like that crybaby Crosby and that complainer McDavid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Head contact's not illegal, making it too obvious is.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Gotta protect yourselves out there boys it's your own fault if you get brutally murdered.

Sucks for Sid but this is karma for *checks notes* maiming Marc Methot's finger??

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

poo poo rear end loving league.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

How about we advance to the stage where we don't try to judge intent of a hit and use that to inform punishment. If there's head contact or an injury, it's a suspension.
This makes the most sense, especially because you can still use intent to say things like "he was very clearly doing his absolute best NOT to hit the head but for X reason he did" as a mitigating factor. Like he was shoved or the hit person moved his head to make it head contact.

E: if you wanted to. Not saying you should.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 12, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I’d honestly be surprised if Crosby doesn’t play tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He missed a game when Niskanen got him in 2017, then came back for game 5 iirc, who knows with concussions.

e: well everyone knows, he probably shouldn't have come back that quickly back then but he did and they won the Cup and he didn't die so everyone forgets about it I guess