Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Levitate posted:

I’d honestly be surprised if Crosby doesn’t play tomorrow

Yeah Sid has a history of hot brain and he's not getting any younger, may not want to risk it but hey it's da playoffs baby. If it goes to 7 though I think he probably plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

winning despite Matt Tkachuk turning into a pumpkin is glorious. God can you imagine this team with a healthy Sean Monahan?

I really think the idiot broke his hand on Klingberg's helmet... he went in on a partial break last night and let a muffin of a wrist shot go.

such a stupid fight that meant nothing at that particular point in that game

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This is my read on that play as well but I doubt PAS are going to buy it. Doesn’t really matter.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Just like a high stick the intent doesn't/shouldn't matter and he hit the player with his elbow in the head and caused an injury that meant the player missed the rest of the game.

It's stupid bullshit that causes injuries and long term brain damage that the league doesn't give a poo poo because lol forever at 'player safety'

Edit: it just seems insane to me that you have to be in control of your stick at all times no if ands or buts (other than the follow through of a shot) but flailing elbow gets a pass

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 12, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/3306538/2022/05/12/jack-campbell-maple-leafs-teammates/?source=user_shared_article

Jack Campbell threw a birthday party for his teammate / friend’s cat.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

pseudodragon posted:

The NHL does care about its stats. The NHL also thinks it’s stars are Tom Wilson, Brad Marchand and other “tough guys” because that’s what makes hockey hockey. Those are the real men that people watch playoff hockey for, not wusses like that crybaby Crosby and that complainer McDavid.

This is unironically pretty much what the league office, DOPS, and NHLPA believe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I fervently hope to see a healthy Crosby in Game 6 but if he's concussed enough that he can't make it then he's concussed enough that I hope he retires. CTE is not a fire anyone should play with. You've done enough Sid, please walk away so you're still around and able to enjoy joining us in celebrating your career in the decades to come.

Malkin was completely out of control in the third period last night and I'm genuinely kind of worried about what he might do in these next two games. I think there's a pretty good probability that his agent has already worked out a deal in the KHL for next year, in which case Malkin knows this is the end of his NHL career anyway and he has nothing to lose

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Just like a high stick the intent doesn't/shouldn't matter and he hit the player with his elbow in the head and caused an injury that meant the player missed the rest of the game.

It's stupid bullshit that causes injuries and long term brain damage that the league doesn't give a poo poo because lol forever at 'player safety'

Edit: it just seems insane to me that you have to be in control of your stick at all times no if ands or buts (other than the follow through of a shot) but flailing elbow gets a pass

Ok sure but they aren’t going to implement that rule change in the middle of the playoffs. You are also never going to convince the league to put the onus on the hitter when “keep your head up” is still the prevailing thought.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Eric the Mauve posted:

I fervently hope to see a healthy Crosby in Game 6 but if he's concussed enough that he can't make it then he's concussed enough that I hope he retires. CTE is not a fire anyone should play with. You've done enough Sid, please walk away so you're still around and able to enjoy joining us in celebrating your career in the decades to come.

:yeah:

Letang too, between the blood clots and concussions that guy should not be playing hockey anymore.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't want Sid to retire just yet but if he wants to take next year off so the Pens can get Bedard I'm ok with this

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look, I am all for Pitrsburgh’s stars retiring and the team starts tanking.

But I know what you all are secretly advocating: Crosby, Letang and Malkin all retire, Pittsburgh tanks and gets Bedard next year.

And I am here to state , if that happens, it would confirm to me that God is both real, and a vengeful , merciless god who only wants suffering and pain.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Look, I am all for Pitrsburgh’s stars retiring and the team starts tanking.

But I know what you all are secretly advocating: Crosby, Letang and Malkin all retire, Pittsburgh tanks and gets Bedard next year.

And I am here to state , if that happens, it would confirm to me that God is both real, and a vengeful , merciless god who only wants suffering and pain.

God makes us suffer temporarily so that we then can get the beautiful bliss of three stanley cups in 15 years and generational hockey players

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would rather continue to watch Crosby play hockey for the Penguins for at least a few more years yet. Realistically the Pens probably aren't getting Bedard in any scenario.

If Sid were to retire though, sure, at that point it doesn't make sense to take any other tactic but to blow it up immediately.

I really hate the thought of a 50 year old Crosby drooling in the press box and if the Penguins have to enter the desert a year or two early to help prevent that, so be it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

WeaponX posted:

Ok sure but they aren’t going to implement that rule change in the middle of the playoffs. You are also never going to convince the league to put the onus on the hitter when “keep your head up” is still the prevailing thought.

I am aware. That doesn't make it suck any less and should have been the league addressed ages ago, but never will.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Duckman2008 posted:

Jack Campbell threw a birthday party for his teammate / friend’s cat.

quote:

"He loves dogs, too," Forbort noted. "I have a dog and he would come over and he's so nice he would just sit there and pet my dog for an hour and a half straight -- no breaks"

:laugh:

Me too Jack.. me too.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
People who watch hockey for the fights are worse than people who watch nascar for the crashes.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is unironically pretty much what the league office, DOPS, and NHLPA believe.

For all the hate the league/DOPS gets, I put this on the players. They’re the ones that hold the cards on discipline during CBA talks and appealing everything. If the PA comes in and is like “yeah, suspend the poo poo out of everyone”, the league isn’t likely to say no.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Have we considered the possibility that Crosby was actually elbowhunting Trouba with his temple and the Rangers are the real victims here?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1524819309536722945?s=20&t=sT3fhHemTbmy1Zhwm4K_1w

So this Leafs core is:

Bad after a win
Awful when leading a series
Winless with the opportunity to advance

Said this in the GDT but I think their best bet is that some playoff nonsense happens and Tampa just comes out like they forgot how to tie their skates. I don't believe there'll be some sort of turnaround, punctuation mark effort where the Leafs prove all their haters wrong, I think they just have to hope for the non-zero chance that the Lightning just forget how to play hockey for a day. It's not impossible!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hahaha I mean they could also just play well and win the game

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

-Somebody somewhere, 1968-now

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This is true but I consider it far less likely than, say, Tampa's entire blue line getting food poisoning or something

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Edward Mass posted:

-Somebody somewhere, 1968-now

Lies, no Leafs fan has ever said this

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Levitate posted:

I never said it was a Leafs fan.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Levitate posted:

Let’s be fair, the Gilmour/Burns years were a genuinely good team and the Sundin/Quinn Leafs weren’t bad either. It’s just been this last fifteen years that the absolute choke imperative has descended.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Legit half the reason Mike Sullivan is such a good coach is he yells at the Pens players whenever they do anything but play hockey. If they ever get distracted by stuff he gives it to em good.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

A Pred had his stick jammed into the facemask of the Avs goalie and kept pushing because he wasn't paying attention and nothing happened.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Agreed on all points.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Arivia posted:

Let’s be fair, the Gilmour/Burns years were a genuinely good team and the Sundin/Quinn Leafs weren’t bad either. It’s just been this last fifteen years that the absolute choke imperative has descended.

Yeah, the Gilmour squads were probably the best of my lifetime. They had depth and a good top 6, and a good head coach. They also got screwed on a superstar call, although ultimately if they'd won the next game it wouldn't have mattered.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I do have to say it’s great to see Kakko and Laf stepping up in the playoffs
They gotta get a more prominent role next season to start taking ownership of the team

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Kuemper was fully healthy for the Avs practice today and has been cleared for game 1 of round 2 whenever that is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1524792426451415046

woah

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Seems dumb but that could be a big help

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really want Caps/Cats and Pens/Rags to both go to game seven and then for the Caps/Pens to both advance. They have to meet up in round three, it’s been way too long without a Caps/Pens playoff series!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

I really want Caps/Cats and Pens/Rags to both go to game seven and then for the Caps/Pens to both advance. They have to meet up in round three, it’s been way too long without a Caps/Pens playoff series!

That'd be cool. I don't think the Pens would get past Carolina or Boston. Both of those teams give them problems. Then again the Rangers also gave the Pens problems coming into this series and it hasn't played out that way for the most part so who knows.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

N: A podcast I like did a 3 part crime story where the Calgary Flames run a drug ring and worship a fire demon named Gord.

V: https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1524840861414084633

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Stiev Awt posted:

N: A podcast I like did a 3 part crime story where the Calgary Flames run a drug ring and worship a fire demon named Gord.

V: https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1524840861414084633

Unnecessary, extra, but I'm frankly flattered they went the distance

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

This is like, hell zone timeline.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1524896028931104769?s=21&t=iAINO_cUgLJEEtJobzq7Wg

I can hear the Good Charlotte blasting in the background of this picture oh my god lmao

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1524896028931104769?s=21&t=iAINO_cUgLJEEtJobzq7Wg

I can hear the Good Charlotte blasting in the background of this picture oh my god lmao

Teemu going to absolutely dumpster you for that music choice. And he'll be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu going to absolutely dumpster you for that music choice. And he'll be right.

I’m sure the discord will hear all about it for the next 2 days