Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Freelance isn't the best way to play destiny, but it's an old game now. It's normal for active players in your circle of friends to fade out, so a lot more solo play happens than it used to. With D1 I could hop on any day of the week and get into an already built 6 man crucible team. My friends list has been slowly draining as D2 ages.. there's certainly people to play with, but it's not common to be able to drop in and Do Stuff, it's gotta be planned in advance.

I feel like freelance is accepting the reality of the game now, it may not be the best fix but it is a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Freelance and regular not having differences is so disingenuous and flat out wrong you're not helping at all.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks for the Exotic advice goons. Yeah, I'm probably messing up the various Engram names. The meta moves so fast in this game it's hard to keep up with the content. I mostly just like shooting aliens.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I have a clan I play with on occasion, but I actually like Destiny as a "single-serving friends" kind of experience. My long-term friendship needs don't really overlap with my gaming hobby, but I don't really need them to -- and my hours change around enough that it's pretty hard to schedule poo poo with others.

But mostly, I like the LFG weirdos I run into. I remember running Vow last week with a guy who was squeezing in a game right before picking his wife up at the hospital, hope everything's okay for them still. I still remember the kid who suddenly said "oh poo poo mom alert" during VOG and we had to cover his oracles while you could still faintly hear him getting chewed out for some bullshit on his mic. I remember when a group I was with finally got through the vault in Last Wish and a dude was like, "time to crack open a cold one boys" and then two guys were like, "actually I'm an alcoholic and I just play destiny now lol" but then it turns out all six of us were smoking weed! That was a good one.

I've had horror stories too, of course, and I'd be happy if I never heard lovely LFG opinions about women or ethnic groups ever again. But that has been rare in my experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like having a base set of Destiny goons to play with, because I have absolutely zero IRL friends who play. My brother getting into the game is so loving sick, because Destiny is such a big part of my interest and hobbies and I can’t share it with anyone. Being able to joke around with Meiteron or NegNord and compare godrolls and transmogs with da homies is the reason Destiny feels more like a real world I like to spend time in

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bust Rodd posted:

I like having a base set of Destiny goons to play with, because I have absolutely zero IRL friends who play. My brother getting into the game is so loving sick, because Destiny is such a big part of my interest and hobbies and I can’t share it with anyone. Being able to joke around with Meiteron or NegNord and compare godrolls and transmogs with da homies is the reason Destiny feels more like a real world I like to spend time in

Yeah!!!! Busty Rodd gets it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

On the flip side aside from a raid a week my gaming time is super sporadic and pick up and play so chances of people just happening to be around for the few matches or strikes I plan to do are slim so freelance is perfect for wanting to do something competitive without getting matched against a 3 stack.

https://i.imgur.com/ZbqsqN1.mp4

From sunday in the kid pool. freelance and flawmore is perfect for bad players like me .

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 11, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

freelance is perfect for wanting to do something competitive without getting matched against a 3 stack.

Man, I really do value hearing these alternative voices because my experience with Freelance is nothing but absolute blowouts all weekend long,

whereas I can solo drop into Normal Trials if I want to chill & know that most games will probably be 5:4 with lotsa Revives each round and 2-3 supers per player

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From sunday in the kid pool. freelance and flawmore is perfect for bad players like me .

I noticed this weekend that Flawless Dodgers were making a HUUUGE showing in Freelance. I had a teammate who was on a 33-game win streak, no flawless, but he was in the Flawless Pool with me in Freelance on Monday. Expect a word from Bungie this TWAB about an anti-Flawless Dodger system!

I feel like that's one of the very last puzzle pieces before Trials ascends to a true 3rd pillar mode of Destiny (until Rift bumps it to #4)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah dodging has been getting worse, I think. Thankfully I don’t think I ran into many of them. Then again I enjoy freelance from a very casual gaming point but I can see how it’s not for everyone. I’m more of a PVE player but between starting late and not having a lot of time, I’m going to go the entire season without being able to do grandmaster because I’m still not 1575. I might get lucky and get there… next week? I’m hoping next season sounds interesting because I’ll definitely invest a little more time then and do more of the poo poo I want to do rather than be stuck doing other poo poo.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The spoiler farm discussion bought up a nice memory, my first DSC clear on my warlock was pre-unlocking the sparrow and I only had the void power tree unlocked(or whatever default new light is), so I did the entire first section of DSC using the raid provided speeder. I did it because I needed to clear security to afford Anarchy lol

My hunter and warlock only exist for the purposes of farming raid loot so all of their armor is just a random hodgepodge of the best raid armor for that class i've had drop.

Is Templar still considered the fastest/most efficient farm method?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
On second thought

https://i.imgur.com/sycHA0P.gifv

Let's NOT wipe

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I like to bring people to the Lighthouse for the first time!!! And it's really hard to find someone to carry when they can just launch Freelance & put a rubber band on the controller for tokens

Might have to reach out on the Discord sometime. I'd like to at least get 3 wins for a weapon one of these days.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I queue solo for trials a lot while I still need the pinnacles, and getting to 3 wins isn't usually that big a deal. But last weekend's freelance queue did feel much, much tougher than usual. Especially with that map, where you have to be able to snap headshot with a sniper or you lose.

Normally you just queue until you luck out and get matched with two good players who just want a 3rd for the numbers. The hardest thing about it is knuckling down and not taking getting steamrolled by the other team too personally. But last weekend the losses definitely fely harsher and a lot more common.

Honestly the biggest issue with trials is that there's not more of a division between competitive groups, but then when Bungie tries to do that you end up with a ton of complaints about how bad the lag is, so there's no 'easy' fix for it.

I feel like if there was a seperate kids pool for players who've broken their streak and can no longer go flawless (and just want to rank up with saint to get some non-adept weapons or the armour), that might help?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I went solo flawless 4x last weekend (twice on hunter, once each on titan and warlock) but unless you are a 2.0+ k/d player with similarly skilled friends or get really really lucky with RNG freelance weekend means regular queue is to be avoided, especially after flawless pool is turned on. I like freelance occasionally but it absolutely pulls a lot of the 'normal' people out of the regular queue and leaves only the sweatlords. Like Chris said I just turned down most offers to play with a team because we were only winning maybe 25% of our matches. You will still occasionally run into someone in freelance who is some kind of 3.5 k/d freak but it's pretty rare, and most of them are farming people in the flawmore queue anyways.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
Happy to help anyone go flawless once dad pool kicks in on Sundays.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Bust Rodd posted:

:)

Having the community is definitely the strongest draw for me for sure, I doubt I would have put nearly as much time into D2 without the solid, reliable host of cool people that are around to do Content when I'm around as well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there's no reason for the laurel limit to be so low and to have basically no way to spend them faster than you earn them

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
freelance was kind to me even though I didn't go flawless

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

YEESSSSSS got the Hawkmoon catalyst while doing Guardian Games stuff. Sorry Malfeasance, I went through Gambit Hell for you and you've been great, but it's time to bench you for a while.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

RBX posted:

Freelance and regular not having differences is so disingenuous and flat out wrong you're not helping at all.

Indeed. It's almost as if having a team you communicate and play with .. and not is some kind of fundamental difference!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Whats with step 2 of what we survive? I def killed some people with Frontiers Cry and it shows 0 kills

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
hnnnnnnnnnngh this is the most HYPE I've been in a good long while

Rift, PvP Map, less gambit required, and 1 more Trials weekend per season :toot:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

drat, you can't cheat Hawkmoon's Paracausal Shot by refilling the magazine with something like the Sealed Ahamkara's Grip's special effect. It gets cancelled out. Any other big conflicting things on Exotics or perks in general that I should be aware of?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
There's still guardian games next week right? I wanna grab some of the outfits but itd be best to wait til I get paid again

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Bungie posted:

Most importantly, entering any non-ritual activity has no effect [on your activity streak].

FINALLY

THANK YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/destiny_thememe/status/1524927986411126785?t=Uje94hWY5H883O4XQiMB4w&s=19

GG email is apparently doing this to all warlocks.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Apologies if this has been asked in the thread already since GG started but has anyone done the math as to how many medals have to be dropped to light the plat torch for medal turn ins? I've been doing a shitload and just barely cracked silver so far this week.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Apologies if this has been asked in the thread already since GG started but has anyone done the math as to how many medals have to be dropped to light the plat torch for medal turn ins? I've been doing a shitload and just barely cracked silver so far this week.

I don’t think anyone’s bothered since platinum medals are worth so much more than the others. You can pretty easily grind out “nightfall” cards in the GG training playlist; this week it’s about two strikes to fill a card plus whatever medals you earn from strike performance

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mine showed 100% on warlock.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Hunters are secretly winning because we switched the signs on the medal baskets.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That is a nice Postmaster you've got there

It would be a shame if

https://i.imgur.com/WTJp3FE.gifv

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

I don’t think anyone’s bothered since platinum medals are worth so much more than the others. You can pretty easily grind out “nightfall” cards in the GG training playlist; this week it’s about two strikes to fill a card plus whatever medals you earn from strike performance

It's something around 16 platinum medals to complete. I didn't track it obsessively but that's close.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just asking to confirm this, I did google and it seemed to be the case but want to make sure, Vox Obscura isn't going away when the season ends right? It'll be the next expansion? Just never got round to doing it and have been meaning to, just want to know if I need to actually pull my finger out and do it in the next week or not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thebardyspoon posted:

Just asking to confirm this, I did google and it seemed to be the case but want to make sure, Vox Obscura isn't going away when the season ends right? It'll be the next expansion? Just never got round to doing it and have been meaning to, just want to know if I need to actually pull my finger out and do it in the next week or not.

Right. The only reason to rush and do it next week is the Season of the Risen seal and title, which becomes unobtainable on the 24th.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

thebardyspoon posted:

Yes. Activities introduced by seasons currently last for the life of the expansion it's released in.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Grinding away at legendary lost sectors trying to get this exotic chest I need for my titan build and man it just feels really bad to keep getting nothing over and over, particularly because soloing these fuckers is not easy and is frequently very frustrating!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

VanillaGorilla posted:

Grinding away at legendary lost sectors trying to get this exotic chest I need for my titan build and man it just feels really bad to keep getting nothing over and over, particularly because soloing these fuckers is not easy and is frequently very frustrating!

What class are you on? Bay of Drowned Wishes is a great one to farm since it only takes about ~4 minutes to clear with a good build.

Are you high enough to do it on Master? For short ones like this it's worth it to do Master for the higher drop rate, but obviously don't do it if you're under 1575ish because it'll be slower than just speeding through Legends.

Lean in to the Arc Burn for the +25% damage. You only have to break 1x void shield and you only have to kill 2 (or 3, if master) Overload champions, so run a Void subclass with Vortex Grenades and "Overload Grenades".

A pulse or hand cannon to stun the Unstoppable, and ideally First In, Last Out (the arc slug) to absolutely MELT champions, and any Arc Heavy you like using!

Don't run double primary, DO make sure to wear damage resist mods, and you'll be crushing this one in sub-5 minutes, guaranteed

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

near the start of the season this guy made a post for recommended loadouts for every lost sector of the current season

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/tahbqu/the_best_loadout_for_every_legend_lost_sector/

hopefully he does it again for the next one, since I found this very helpful

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I finally got The Title with Stats and One for All on it. Gotta say, it is pretty fun. I wish it had a master work in range or reload, but the stability feels OK.

Will it replace my Funnelweb? Not sure about that, but it does feel good enough for me to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got a godroll Title and it has for sure replaced my Funnelwebs, of which I have 5-6 MWK’d.