Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You won't get me saying anything about how shelters solve homelessness in here, but shelters are bad is not a sufficient reason to not include them (or another intervention aimed at the immediate needs of those experiencing housing insecurity) in a system of care. When I was a kid I stayed in shelters when I really needed them. If I had gotten hurt or robbed on the street or in my car those nights I was in the shelter, my trajectory would have been worse. This can happen in a shelter too, but likely not as frequent or severe. Also, there's food, clothing, showers, phones, and bathrooms there. The California shelter experience is extra bad for people who touch it because there's such a tiny ratio of beds available that it's totally swamped.

Basically, the entire experience of becoming unhoused is often a decade long experience with a shitload of opportunities to help. We could intervene anywhere along the spectrum of that experience to improve poo poo (eviction control, mincomes, rent aid, debt relief, shelters, SROs, police record expungement or prevention of bullshit background check flags, improved unemployment, transportation subsidies/provision, daycare), but we don't or we only focus on the most intense solutions at the end of the experience.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Long post

I was on the streets between 2010-2019, mostly Venice, SM and the Palisades.
Through mainly my own fault/actions, from a mixture of depression and anxiety, but it actually turned out to be some of the most enjoyable years of my life.
Really, I was having fun sitting on the beach playing video games through most of it, I would go back to my old work and do some IT work because they (for some reason) never replaced me when I left. So eventually poo poo would break down and I would get some quick cash.
If you ever made it to the north end of the bike path, this was me.

But as some people have said, many people out there are generally a mix of drugs, criminals or just plain insanity.
Whenever someone would go missing it was always trying to figure out if they had gone to jail or OD'd.
Now there absolutely are a lot of people who are simply down on their luck and this pandemic has made that so, so much worse. I was lucky to get out months before it hit.
I had a group who was trying to get me housed for years, but gently caress I was enjoying it.
It wasn't until some poo poo for brains cop started harassing and threatening me that I finally relented.
And the whole process was actually pretty loving easy.
I had known people over the years who would be put into housing and be back out on the streets within a year or so. But it was to be expected, they usually had major drug/alcohol problems where they just couldn't adjust back to normal.
I was pure luck for these people though, no drugs/alcohol/non smoking/no criminal record.
But I was a rare exception, mostly no one even wants to take someone that has any sort of problem.
And its all standard apartments, you get a housing voucher and you have to try and find a place that'll take it.
A lot harder than you think, especially if they find out you were homeless.

But the actual homeless shelters, pure hellholes full of people trying to steal from you while you are sleeping or just moaning/yelling all night.
There are some decent ones, but as mentioned, they had some bizarre restrictions like picking you up in a bus before sunset to get there, and then dropping you off in Venice before dawn.
Therefore you can only own what you could carry. Want to have a bike to get around, nope, cant take it in and it would only get stolen if left anywhere near where they pick you up.

But to round it up, there are a ton of places out there to really help you if you want, not saying they'll get you a job or anything, but the one I hooked up with did a great job of getting me back to pseudo normalism.
Though there are times I wish I could have just been left there, if there hadnt been a pandemic.

This was the red headed stepchild well known for taking someones belongings and trashing them to try and chase you to somewhere else.
In a way, it WAS because of him that I became non homeless, but not because he actually wanted to help.
https://www.palipost.com/officer-redican-says-farewell-to-pacific-palisades/
That was standard fare for cops, they didnt want to have to deal with you and just wanted you to move to the next district.

e: this was MY experience with being homeless, this doesnt (and most likely wont) reflect most peoples experience being homeless.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 11, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Infinite Karma posted:

edit: Like the puritanical lifestyle dig - that's a realistic thing that means-testing shitheads will 100% say thinking they're being smart... but what do you do when you give someone a free apartment and they strip the copper wire from the walls? Do you kick them out? Leave the apartments unpowered? Try and put a security apparatus in place? Eventually, you either end up inventing prisons, or refugee camps. I don't think anyone in this thread wants either one for homeless people, so we need some new ideas.
Tell me honestly, do you think the cost of universally housing the homeless and providing a UBI, including replacing wires or whatever else you want to imagine, actually costs more than what we pay to combat homelessness?

Cops aren't the answer to homelessness.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also to be frank what exactly makes a hooverville different from a refugee camp other than the state presumably providing food and stuff lol

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Idg this reference and gis didn't help

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

El Mero Mero posted:

You won't get me saying anything about how shelters solve homelessness in here, but shelters are bad is not a sufficient reason to not include them (or another intervention aimed at the immediate needs of those experiencing housing insecurity) in a system of care. When I was a kid I stayed in shelters when I really needed them. If I had gotten hurt or robbed on the street or in my car those nights I was in the shelter, my trajectory would have been worse. This can happen in a shelter too, but likely not as frequent or severe. Also, there's food, clothing, showers, phones, and bathrooms there. The California shelter experience is extra bad for people who touch it because there's such a tiny ratio of beds available that it's totally swamped.

I brought up the conditions of shelters because your earlier post ended at "more beds".

El Mero Mero posted:

NYC, Atlanta, DC, Detroit all provide more than .8 beds per homeless person (it's still under 1, which is bad!). The bay area and Los Angeles are fewer than .3. This has nothing to do with weather. Honolulu, Tampa, and Miami all do better. In fact. Every city in America that's outside of California does better.

"Progressive" Liberals (not calling you a lib, you later acknowledged they're hellholes) not addressing the underlying conditions and system, relying on religious charity and "non profits", then pointing at a 1.0 beds number exclaiming "welp we tried! time to send in the troops and ship the lumpen to concentration camps" is a real thing happening right now. I've heard people say this, people running for political office literally say this when trying to get votes from them. So when I see a "more beds" post with no other context or follow through can come across like this.

I like the idea of immediately implementing safe camping zones where services are offered but under our current system that may just help the cops round them up in one convenient location. Didn't they try this concept in socal a couple years ago?

It all seems like bandaid on a severed leg when we need to end the reason it was cut off in the first place. Not only will this stop people bleeding to death it will stop 99% of everyone else choking to death from unbreathable air

droll fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 11, 2022

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

OgNar posted:

e: this was MY experience with being homeless, this doesnt (and most likely wont) reflect most peoples experience being homeless.

Oh wow we've summoned OgNar. I remember when you liveposted about this on another forum in like 2016. Glad to hear you've got a place that you're comfortable in now.

I think one of the things you raised is an element that I find really interesting, which is that folks outside of that world refer to anyone living without housing using the same word. Internally though, there are whole categories and castes of folks living without suitable housing. People come to living without housing from a huge variety of places, and there's no inherent solidarity that comes with the experience. Just the opposite really.

When I was touring Oakland encampments for instance, there was one I visited where folks in broken RVs had built a gated compound complete with barbed wire, cameras, and flood lights. The folks in there loving despised other unhoused folks outside the compound.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IMO anyone who talks about solving homelessness without mentioning the state of mental healthcare is not a serious person.

Jaxyon posted:

LOL I legit don't remember why you're so mad about me but this grudge is pretty funny.

I'm not mad at you. You're just factually a bad poster who previously had the most liberal-brained takes in the thread. It's not a grudge, I'd sit down with you at the French Laundry :)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not mad at you. You're just factually a bad poster who previously had the most liberal-brained takes in the thread. It's not a grudge, I'd sit down with you at the French Laundry :)

Oh yeah you were complaining that I was like a Sacramento lobbiest or something when I'm actually a leftist, I imagine because I disagreed with you on something.

It's that you keep bringing it up out of nowhere that makes me think you have a grudge. This is like the third time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

Oh yeah you were complaining that I was like a Sacramento lobbiest or something when I'm actually a leftist, I imagine because I disagreed with you on something.

It's that you keep bringing it up out of nowhere that makes me think you have a grudge. This is like the third time.

I have a working long-term memory, and it's noteworthy that this is the first time I've seen you argue as a leftist, rather than against a leftist. Hence it's relevant as it implies OP is to the right even of you. You should take it as a compliment that your posting was egregious enough to remember!

I think you're reading too much hostility into it. The French Laundry was just a topical California reference, not a jab at you personally.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have a working long-term memory, and it's noteworthy that this is the first time I've seen you argue as a leftist, rather than against a leftist. Hence it's relevant as it implies OP is to the right even of you. You should take it as a compliment that your posting was egregious enough to remember!

I think you're reading too much hostility into it. The French Laundry was just a topical California reference, not a jab at you personally.

I've been a leftist as long as I've been on this forum. I argue with everyone. It's a debate forum.

I think you got some terminal "everyone I disagree with is a filthy liberal" brain going on but whatever keeps you going.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’m at the leftist thread. I’m at the liberal thread. I’m at the combination leftist liberal thread.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone I disagree with is a liberal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m at the leftist thread. I’m at the liberal thread. I’m at the combination leftist liberal thread.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
On the ground reports of homeless people creating post-apocalyptic compounds >>>>>>>>>>> posters pot shotting each other

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally sat down and researched the mayoral candidates in San Jose, very cool positions from all of them on law enforcement:

Davis: More cops.
Mahan: More cops.
Peralez: More cops but they should be on foot instead of in squad cars.
Chavez: More cops but they should be nice cops.

Sorry, you're on the side of not lighting even more of the city budget on fire so the SJPD can fly their helicopter around twenty times a week (I actually just heard it now as I was typing this, lol) and run a thinly-veiled protection racket by strong arming businesses into "donating" to the cop union to get stickers for the front of their business? Eat poo poo I guess, you picked the wrong city to live in.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Sydin posted:

Finally sat down and researched the mayoral candidates in San Jose, very cool positions from all of them on law enforcement:

Davis: More cops.
Mahan: More cops.
Peralez: More cops but they should be on foot instead of in squad cars.
Chavez: More cops but they should be nice cops.

Sorry, you're on the side of not lighting even more of the city budget on fire so the SJPD can fly their helicopter around twenty times a week (I actually just heard it now as I was typing this, lol) and run a thinly-veiled protection racket by strong arming businesses into "donating" to the cop union to get stickers for the front of their business? Eat poo poo I guess, you picked the wrong city to live in.

Yeah, hard to tell some of these dipshits apart. That said, Davis is the mega-NIMBY republican and Mahan is the techbro, so it’s a bit of a tossup between Chavez and Peralez.

Ultimately, Peralez is the only one who actually supports SB9 and I believe Chavez was involved in the “strong mayor” debacle from a couple years ago, so I figure he might be marginally better. Chavez is gonna win though, seems like she’s got all the institutional support and knows where all the bodies are buried.

Definitely Sajid Khan for DA though over the other two tough on crime dipshits. Public defender trying to do the restorative justice thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I've been getting insane amounts of mailers and texts and poo poo for Chavez. She also picked up a ton of nominations that I would have expected to go to Peralez so he's probably toast.

And yeah I fully expect any of the candidates to try to revive a softer version of the strong mayor bullshit. I honestly think that if Liccardo had been less aggressive and just sought to claw back some powers from the city manager rather than also trying to tack two years on to his term, he would have gotten the measure through with little fanfare.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Mitsuo posted:

Definitely Sajid Khan for DA though over the other two tough on crime dipshits. Public defender trying to do the restorative justice thing.

There is some batshit backstory to this race: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...est-blog-posts/

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So now that a handful of mega-mansions in the OC burned down due to faulty powerlines (allegedly) are we FINALLY going to nail these loving utility companies for burning our state to the ground?

https://abc7.com/laguna-niguel-fire-brush-homes-destroyed-coastal/11840352/

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Does anyone have any opinions on Knock LA? It seems like they are a lefty organization, and are one of the only ones with endorsements for most of the LA area, but also I've never heard of them before so I'm a little hesitant to take them at face value.

https://knock-la.com/los-angeles-progressive-voter-guide-june-primary-election-2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've only read a few articles from there, like this glorious piece about the LASD who went camping and shotgun blasted the foot of one of them because he got his sheriff gang tattoo wrong or something.

https://knock-la.com/deputy-gang-tattoo-shot-off/

"Deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department attempted to shoot a deputy gang tattoo off of a man during a camping trip in Kern County in 2015. Department sources say the deputies shot the tattoo off because an unauthorized change had been made to the design. All deputy gang tattoo changes must be cleared with deputy gang leadership, several sources told Knock LA."

"The shooting occurred when a group of deputies held down the tattooed man while another fired off several rounds of his off-duty weapon and attempted to burn the design off the man’s ankle with the hot barrel of the gun. When the deputy was unable to burn the tattoo off, he fired the gun directly at the other man’s tattoo, according to a source familiar with the incident. The injured deputy was transported from Dove Springs to the Antelope Valley Hospital in Lancaster in a private vehicle, according to lieutenant Bill Smallwood.

A source within the LASD says that the deputy who was shot recently received a medical retirement for the injury, despite the fact that the deputy was wounded while he was off duty.

A source familiar with the incident identified Wyatt Waldron of the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station as the deputy who pulled the trigger. Waldron was promoted to sergeant in 2021 under Sheriff Alex Villanueva. Waldron is local to the Antelope Valley area, and graduated from Quartz Hill High School. "

Good ole Sheriff Villanueva

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 13, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

They also did a big exposé on the LA sheriff gangs https://knock-la.com/tradition-of-violence-lasd-gang-history/

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

OgNar posted:

I've only read a few articles from there, like this glorious piece about the LASD who went camping and shotgun blasted the foot of one of them because he got his sheriff gang tattoo wrong or something.

https://knock-la.com/deputy-gang-tattoo-shot-off/

"Deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department attempted to shoot a deputy gang tattoo off of a man during a camping trip in Kern County in 2015. Department sources say the deputies shot the tattoo off because an unauthorized change had been made to the design. All deputy gang tattoo changes must be cleared with deputy gang leadership, several sources told Knock LA."

"The shooting occurred when a group of deputies held down the tattooed man while another fired off several rounds of his off-duty weapon and attempted to burn the design off the man’s ankle with the hot barrel of the gun. When the deputy was unable to burn the tattoo off, he fired the gun directly at the other man’s tattoo, according to a source familiar with the incident. The injured deputy was transported from Dove Springs to the Antelope Valley Hospital in Lancaster in a private vehicle, according to lieutenant Bill Smallwood.

A source within the LASD says that the deputy who was shot recently received a medical retirement for the injury, despite the fact that the deputy was wounded while he was off duty.

A source familiar with the incident identified Wyatt Waldron of the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station as the deputy who pulled the trigger. Waldron was promoted to sergeant in 2021 under Sheriff Alex Villanueva. Waldron is local to the Antelope Valley area, and graduated from Quartz Hill High School. "

Good ole Sheriff Villanueva

violent and stupid. excellent combo.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
KnockLA is a great group working mainly on homelessness and police violence

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Something Else posted:

:yeah:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1525163962538643457

Wasn't this motherfucker just wringing his hands over the cost of the single-payer bill that got shelved?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
God imagine how many cops that could buy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VikingofRock posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Knock LA? It seems like they are a lefty organization, and are one of the only ones with endorsements for most of the LA area, but also I've never heard of them before so I'm a little hesitant to take them at face value.

https://knock-la.com/los-angeles-progressive-voter-guide-june-primary-election-2022

It's a good guide. I'm not super aware of their organization.

Something Else posted:

Awesome

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
If the enhanced APTC for Covered CA/ACA plans expires this year and the federal government doesn’t extend it, Gavin is going to pretty much have to use at least some of the surplus to keep it going in California. Going back to pre-COVID ACA subsidies after next year’s rate hikes (which are not out yet for California) and back to the 400% federal poverty level cutoff would be very very bad.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 14, 2022

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1525163962538643457

Wasn't this motherfucker just wringing his hands over the cost of the single-payer bill that got shelved?

Build housing you bitch.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can California buy Twitter?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Goodpancakes posted:

Can California buy Twitter?

Twitterfornication yes I want Gavin To have the top job at Twitter. Gavin is a big believer in international workers revolution so I support his dictatorship of Twitter being a thing so we can bring forth the communist revolution

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Buy me some bottles of water to get through the summer.
Or pay my AC bill at the end of it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boot and Rally posted:

Build housing you bitch.

they should imminent domain some of the many empty investment properties at tax assessment price (so probably like 1% of market value lol). would be faster and much funnier

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Boot and Rally posted:

Build housing you bitch.

building housing is a big project that you have to scope out and do over a couple years, with inevitable delays, and then after you gotta keep it maintained and manage tenants! cops you can just shove more into the academy and declare a win for public safety now, cause lol if anyone's gonna track stats to see if it actually lowers crime

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
lol that guys second post is california should invest it in the stock market

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jaxyon posted:

lol that guys second post is california should invest it in the stock market

I don't think fiscally conservative types understand government budgets are not in any way like personal finances

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quarantinethepast posted:

I don't think fiscally conservative types understand government budgets are not in any way like personal finances

Always love the ol' "I'm running because I'm a successful businessman who can eliminate government waste by running the government like a business" dipshits who flood every goddamn election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wonder if any of them realize that if someone actually ran the government like a business they'd raise taxes as much as possible, cut all services, and pocket all the profits. Like, isn't that the point of a business? People don't run businesses to be as small as possible and never grow.