Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the man is obsessed

https://twitter.com/LabourAccel/status/1525014039461609472?s=20&t=cz27IMlWkZEnHmDBh9Vg_w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chocolate spread

chocolate spread

chocolate spread

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

But you already need to provide biometric data to get a work visa / leave to remain. This is surely just creating further bureaucracy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that's his fetish.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Like you can't claim benefits already without being documented with home office approval. Employers who use undocumented workers already know that they're breaking the law, and still do it anyway. This wouldn't change anything.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol at the idea of Starmer coming out with a coherent line on anything.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Except cold, dreary authoritarianism, I guess.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
What 'woke' politics does he think the party is pursuing right now anyway lmao

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Even if Starmer Labour do come out with a coherent set of policies, he's already told us he'll lie to get elected. If the next Labour manifesto contains anything good at all, why should we believe it will be implemented?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Not taking a hard stance against trans rights?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Starmers dream job would be in charge of the society in Brazil

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

yes, can anyone tell me a single "woke" thing that Starmer has said or done? Genuine question.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stood in the general vicinity of the detestable corbyn. unforgivable!

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

keep punching joe posted:

omfg lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

nawilo_420 posted:

yes, can anyone tell me a single "woke" thing that Starmer has said or done? Genuine question.

Starmer has e.g. said that he believes trans women exist. Extremely woke.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
here's an idea: instead of pandering to the votes of the centre right, maybe pander to the votes on the left that already voted for your party under a different, popular leader? just a thought.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I hate when they use aspirational because they mean it in a very specific zero sum way. It means joining the 'gently caress-you got mine' club. It means loving over everyone around you in a desperate rush to escape the coming squeeze.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

nawilo_420 posted:

*Angry gammon voice*

"What, you mean Sir Keir kneeler?!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gonadic io posted:

Starmer has e.g. said that he believes trans women exist. Extremely woke.

Wes Streeting has said he doesn't (see the article), so he'll probably be leader for the next GE

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

amazingly, the best case scenario for the next election is Ed loving Balls as Labour leader, and even then he's going to absolutely fail

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do Labour still have that pay :20bux: to vote in leadership elections?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Balls don't fail me now!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

i dont know what youre talking about i was referring to this

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDWAVE/status/1522650007798644736

Another blackface scandal rocks the Commonwealth

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What's the "centre ground" on transgender rights again? Acknowledge their existence but not their right to exist?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What's the "centre ground" on transgender rights again? Acknowledge their existence but not their right to exist?

That's where Labour are currently so move a bit more to the right.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

conversion camps, not death camps

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pick a piece of bureaucratic cruelty and smack transpeople with it to earn happy op-eds from the Guardian.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

that one desmond tutu quote about neutrality meaning you side with the oppressor but are too much of a coward to own that you're doing that, but framed as a motivational poster

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that one desmond tutu quote about neutrality meaning you side with the oppressor but are too much of a coward to own that you're doing that, but framed as a motivational poster

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

its like some mark of the beast type poo poo, if i was a religious nut job this would confirm my theory that blair was the antichrist

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1525047151033782272?t=_9G2pGZObhOXT_sZi-sVFA&s=19

You love to see it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Thank ye kindly :tipshat:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

nawilo_420 posted:

here's an idea: instead of pandering to the votes of the centre right, maybe pander to the votes on the left that already voted for your party under a different, popular leader? just a thought.

They
Have
Nowhere
Else
To
Go

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
What's "funny" is that New Labour least realised they had to give some indication that they would do left wing stuff to string unions and leftists along as part of their coalition, even if they never had any intention of doing that and many said so at the time. Obviously this is a pretty big part of why New Labours support collapsed very quickly after they took power

Starmer & co seem to actively not want leftists to vote for them and would rather lose with 20% of the vote from Tory swing voters than win with 35% of the vote that includes anyone to the left of Margaret Hodge

Basically the only real hope for Starmer is a Lib Dem resurgance that nicks loads of seats from Tories which, lol

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

MikeCrotch posted:

They
Have
Nowhere
Else
To
Go

Another actual question: why is there no new leftist, or even center-left, party in the UK?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
There are a few nascent parties of that ilk but rather small at the moment. There isn't one that's captured the hearts and minds in sufficient quantity yet to be considered 'the' party.
I'm quite liking Breakthrough Party (following on FB) but nowhere near signing up.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

nawilo_420 posted:

Another actual question: why is there no new leftist, or even center-left, party in the UK?

because as soon as a figurehead appears for any such movement, either the character assassination death star is powered up and fired indiscriminately until they are reduced to dust and echoes, or they are permitted to exist and must therefore be part of the apparatus of the state

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There are a few nascent parties of that ilk but rather small at the moment. There isn't one that's captured the hearts and minds in sufficient quantity yet to be considered 'the' party.
I'm quite liking Breakthrough Party (following on FB) but nowhere near signing up.

This, plus the brain disease of left-labourism that leads otherwise good people to insist being marginalised inside a party led by people who would happily have you lined up against a wall and shot if they could get away with it is better than striking out into the wilderness and 'throwing away your vote' on a new party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

What's "funny" is that New Labour least realised they had to give some indication that they would do left wing stuff to string unions and leftists along as part of their coalition, even if they never had any intention of doing that and many said so at the time. Obviously this is a pretty big part of why New Labours support collapsed very quickly after they took power

Starmer & co seem to actively not want leftists to vote for them and would rather lose with 20% of the vote from Tory swing voters than win with 35% of the vote that includes anyone to the left of Margaret Hodge

Basically the only real hope for Starmer is a Lib Dem resurgance that nicks loads of seats from Tories which, lol

yes and also the greens taking more votes from the tories than labour