Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

No judgement, but the idea that modular synthesizers, eurorack, etc are not primarily tools for writing music for other people to consume is baffling to me. I'm not saying that its not a thing, or even the main driver of eurorack sales in 2022 (in the several versions of this post I've typed and deleted, I've gotten *really* curious about this, actually), but it's an attitude I only ever encounter on the internet, and a relatively new one at that.

We could automate the whole drat thing and cut out the middleman, you know. The "middleman" being the recording artist, the one person standing between all the music industries and their profits. In this production chain the composer/performer is the weakest link by far, and the person most easily replaced with a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

It’s gonna happen but god the idea of having a portable suitcase dwelling 2000 dollar toy scares me.

It's only like that when it's new. I'm regularly lugging thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment through rain and long hikes.. it was terrifying the first few times and now it's just like "eh, whatever" as I set it down on a rock because I ran out of hands to changes lenses.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

It's only like that when it's new. I'm regularly lugging thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment through rain and long hikes.. it was terrifying the first few times and now it's just like "eh, whatever" as I set it down on a rock because I ran out of hands to changes lenses.

Good enough for me, I got my order in :goleft:

I’m going to sell the music stuff I don’t play with anymore (and my OP-1) over the next few weeks. Should get close enough to being even.

After the downsize I’ll be down to the Moog Minitaur, OP-2, PO-20 and PO-12. I don’t see myself selling the Minitaur ever it’s soooo funnn.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 12, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

I don’t see myself selling the Minitaur ever it’s soooo funnn.

Are you saying it's fun because of the sound, or because it's immediate, one knob per function and no menu?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
ngl I’m cackling at everybody dropping two large on what is essentially OP-1.5

I remember lusting after OP-1 back in 2014 when it was like $899 ($1199? I can’t even remember) but ultimately finding that price kinda high, especially vs something like an iPad which was really starting to show serious hardware capability despite Apple’s best efforts at hobbling the software along with further going down in price.

then seeing OP-1’s price further rise and understanding the limitations that TE has as a tiny company that keeps $1 mil in collector supercars on display in their office for “inspiration” with limited manufacturing resources, but deciding “well that’s just not for me I guess. But I respect it”

but seriously lmao at OP-1 field costing $2k and double lmao at lining up to pay for it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

my take on teenage engineering is that i don’t begrudge anyone for buying ikea stuff, but i don’t trust any company who collaborates with them. this isn’t the scanpol thread tho so i’m not gonna get into their heinous track record as a corporate landlord and forceful evictions

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I'm just glad people are panic-dumping their OP-1s and driving prices down. Just scored one in fantastic condition with hard and soft cases for $700, when a week ago I was pondering picking up a busted one for $600 and repairing it. Thanks, TE!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i guess everyone has different priorities, i can’t believe people will spend 2 grand on a monosynth like the matrixbrute but obviously a lot of people do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

inferis posted:

i guess everyone has different priorities, i can’t believe people will spend 2 grand on a monosynth like the matrixbrute but obviously a lot of people do.

cool. I can’t either.

IDK why you decided that there’s a big dichotomy between one limited, very pricey (arguably overpriced) piece of hardware whose functionality is largely supplanted by much more affordable software/controller arrangements and another limited, very pricey (arguably overpriced) piece of hardware whose functionality is largely supplanted by much more affordable software/controller arrangements

like OP-1 exists here on one end and Matrixbrute on the other.

Also at least with Matrixbrute you can make the argument that you’re paying $2k for a physically large hard-wearing instrument with premium enough touch points like a decent keybed, wood construction elements, etc meant to work for many years, kind of like an electric or acoustic piano/organ/etc.

Even behringer with all of their cost-cutting and shady corporate practices and arguable savings in R+D can only make their big synthesizers so cheap, they still run in the $700-$1400 range.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My logic is I’m gonna like making music with it. Fart fart fart here’s my card number.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Rolo posted:

My logic is I’m gonna like making music with it. Fart fart fart here’s my card number.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

looks like perkons orders are opening up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2Aycx_E9c

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I would jump on a OP-1 Feels immediately but i get the feeling i'm going to get hosed on australian import duty and probably just want to wait until they're in store so i can see how much i'm actually going to get charged and have a local warranty and poo poo because man TE support won't do poo poo

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also at least with Matrixbrute you can make the argument that you’re paying $2k for a physically large hard-wearing instrument with premium enough touch points like a decent keybed, wood construction elements, etc meant to work for many years, kind of like an electric or acoustic piano/organ/etc.

Whoa hang on their friend, I love my Matrixbrute but the keybed is the least premium thing on it. when you release the keys they go boioioioioing and aftertouch is extremely lol especially compared to hydrasynth

my current keybed tier list for big synths:
1. super 6
2. moog granny
3. hydrasynth
4. wavestate and matrixbrute

I was real gung ho about Polybrute then I tried the keyboard. Making me think what I really want is a Hydrasynth Deluxe, although that stupid empty space on the right is so stupid

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

seriously i just took this video look/listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7hMg0NJsk

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

although that stupid empty space on the right is so stupid

its for putting other synths on. not joking. literally my biggest beef w/ my 61 key flagship is it doesn't have one

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

JamesKPolk posted:

its for putting other synths on. not joking. literally my biggest beef w/ my 61 key flagship is it doesn't have one

hmm i do love other synths

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

hmm i do love other synths

Whoa, same

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m at the home shake concert and the opener was a cool girl with all hardware synths and a sampler for drum loops if I could only sing I could do that. She was awesome tho

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I heard that the best polysynth is Prophet 10, and the best monosynth is Minimoog. And those are the only two synths anyone would ever need.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Ordered a Yamaha MG12XU. Shopping for a mixer sucks when there are a bunch of synths and/or drum machines/groove boxes in play. You sacrifice EQ to get a more stereo-oriented set of channels. Product lines with readily-accessible EQ tend to only add mono channels as they increase in inputs. It's hard to find sweepable mids in what I would consider to be a reasonable sized mixer for hobbyist desktop use. I settled for an upgrade in input count and build quality in the vein of what I was already using. Maybe I'll pick up a stereo-oriented thing as a sub mixer in the future, but I'm happy to be done looking for now.

I also don't think I can pre-order any shiny new things recently announced. I'm moving to another country in July and slow rollouts have me weary.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m at the home shake concert and the opener was a cool girl with all hardware synths and a sampler for drum loops if I could only sing I could do that. She was awesome tho

Run your voice thru some pedals like Dan Deacon

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Having spent part of the day resolving a weird issue where HALion was showing me all kinds of content in Artist 12 that I couldn't access and I thought my licenses were messed up and reinstalled everything, but it turned out it was that Cubase had installed extra HALion content I didn't own without me realizing it . . . one sympathizes.

Funny enough, one stretch of said rabbit hole was writing a 2500-word guide on getting HALion and Groove Agent presets to work. That's literally the sixth article I've published over the years on how to get presets/library content working in Steinberg plugins. I'm ride-or-die for Cubase, but Steinberg has got to figure this poo poo out.

You may have solved one underlying mystery for me, though. See, I've been trying to repro that exact issue you describe- unusable Pro content when running Artist- but this lovely new licensing system of Steinberg's keeps forcibly (but silently) activating Cubase Pro on the computer where I installed Artist. I have seen that Pro content gets installed by the Artist content installer, but didn't have any issues loading the Pro presets. I think the reason I've never seen the problem you describe because I'm never really running artist due to this Steinberg Licensing shitshow.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Run your voice thru some pedals like Dan Deacon

I’m pretty sure they were rocking the ehx voice box for most of the vox, sounded exactly the same as mine at least. They closed with a sick deftones cover lol

Good show. The wiltern is always a beautiful venue. Just have to sit upstairs to avoid the college kids

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

A MIRACLE posted:

just scream loud and call it punk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just talk into the mic about your hangups like James Murphy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Question about sampling. I know back in the day when your sampler had like 30 seconds of memory at high sample rates, people would game the system by increasing the source speed (like sampling a 33 at 45rpm or artificially higher, then playing back the sample at a lower pitch to get the hardware to artificially stretch it back out. This basically crushed the sample which was a distinct sound as well.

My question, or problem -- being more accurate, is that I'm struggling to understand the math here. 33 is 70-something percent of 45, but when you wrap this in the context of having to apply musical notation I'm not sure how you would figure out "ok I played a 33 at 45, if we assume middle C as a "start point" for this sample, how do I know what 70-something percent of middle C is, without resorting to "ok that sounds right" by ear?

Does this make sense? I feel like the question made sense coming in, but now that I re-read it I'm.. like only 70-something percent sure it does ;)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Table of note frequencies
Frequency to Pitch calculator

C4 = 261.63Hz

261.63 * 33 / 45 = 191.862

191.862 = G3 -37cents

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh there you go, I’m glad I wasn’t totally nuts. Thanks!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I only paid $1000 for my OP-1 and I’m probably gonna sell it in a few months, so if I only get $700 I won’t be too upset, but secretly I’m hoping the OP-1 being discontinued will bring prices way up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Half the internet is obsessing over new TE gear, the rest of it is obsessing over the new Polylend toy. I was hyping myself up to get a Deluge and then that thing launches and I don't know what to do with myself now.

They're comparable but not the same, and the worst part is each one has features I really want that the other doesn't.

That korg oscillator looks pretty cool too, if they ever sell it without a book that's a sure buy.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

xzzy posted:

Half the internet is obsessing over new TE gear, the rest of it is obsessing over the new Polylend toy. I was hyping myself up to get a Deluge and then that thing launches and I don't know what to do with myself now.

They're comparable but not the same, and the worst part is each one has features I really want that the other doesn't.

That korg oscillator looks pretty cool too, if they ever sell it without a book that's a sure buy.
Having an OP-1 and liking it quite a bit for what it is, but also having had the "Teenage Engineering support experience", I:

1.) find the company name absolutely on point, but not in a good way,
2.) don't really think they do great electronics, but do think they're an interesting & successful design firm, first and foremost,
3.) will probably never buy another one of their products, at least not their electronics, and almost certainly not new/direct from them (versus used).

This is all subjective, of course: YMMV. That said, I was impressed that they shipped USB audio in the OP-1 firmware a while back, something like almost 10 years (or nearly so) after the OP-1 originally shipped. (That, though, was after a long period of nothing doing in the firmware, IIRC. Which is probably what made it at all notable; everyone had more or less given it up as "done" through lack of updates, but not due to an actual statement.)

In other news, I'm probably gonna buy an OB-X8, aren't I? God dammit.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

minidracula posted:

In other news, I'm probably gonna buy an OB-X8, aren't I? God dammit.

Just saw they hired the guy who did the other much-maligned OB-Xa clone as a DIY project, which is kinda cool

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
TE:

Arturia:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

JamesKPolk posted:

Just saw they hired the guy who did the other much-maligned OB-Xa clone as a DIY project, which is kinda cool
The real kicker is I'm also waiting on my VS-1.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

xzzy posted:

If its an updated/variant version of the Patch And Tweak hardback it's a decent book if you don't have a copy, at least the original version I have is.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

Too bad this never went anywhere: https://www.soundonsound.com/news/shear-relic-6-modernised-ob-x-made-18-year-old

The mix of savvy businessperson, good engineer and good musician is truly a unicorn thing; most manage one, few manage two.

minidracula posted:

The real kicker is I'm also waiting on my VS-1.

oof

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Happened to be in Detroit and checked out Detroit Modular. Very cool shop with a good inventory as well so if you're in the area I'd recommend checking it out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

FWIW I like my Deluge a lot, and they're still putting out big firmware updates (ie making their current product better instead of constantly launching new hardware). The biggest complaint I have, and it's not a small complaint, is that the "screen" only shows four (4) (less than 5) (yes, really, four) characters at a time, which makes browsing samples and presets and songs etc a real chore. Otherwise, A+, strong recommend.

I've never used an OP1 though, and like you say they do different things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ColdPie posted:

I've never used an OP1 though, and like you say they do different things.

Oops, I wasn't trying to compare Deluge to OP1, I'm comparing it to the Polyend Play.. which definitely fixes the screen issue.

But you lose out on the synth so it's a give and take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

some kinda jackal posted:

Oh there you go, I’m glad I wasn’t totally nuts. Thanks!

the easy thing to do is double the pitch of the source then play back at half speed which returns you to the original pitch of the sample. conveniently, octaves are 2x. ie. original sample at c4, pitched up to c5 (double speed), mapped to c5 as root pitch will, if I didn't gently caress up the example, play c4 at c4.

audacity should have a pitch shift, sound forge does