Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, is lacing herb with fent an actual thing? What dealer would even do that?

I can't imagine it ever gets done intentionally, my assumption if it ever happens is that it's accidental cross contamination. Could definitely see a dealer being sloppy, but to do it on purpose just doesn't seem very conducive to business to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, is lacing herb with fent an actual thing? What dealer would even do that?

The same dealers who were cramming halloween candy full of drugs to hand out to children, clearly.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

I can't imagine it ever gets done intentionally, my assumption if it ever happens is that it's accidental cross contamination. Could definitely see a dealer being sloppy, but to do it on purpose just doesn't seem very conducive to business to me.

Some of the best weed is packed in used zip lock bags... heck, people will pay extra for it if you market it as laced.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I am beginning to think that a lot of sudden but intense unrest we saw in the US in 2020 and 2021 was facilitated by COVID shutdowns. People were frustrated and also had less things to do. I doubt anything like that can be managed now even as things get worse on the rights and liberties front.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
So what kind of action changes things sooner than the allowable electoral timetable? In order to protect the rights of women (and all gender/sexual/racial/religious/human rights), in order to do that ASAP in our country, what do we do? Because from my admittedly limited electoral understanding it's now state vs state, with an uncertain timetable of two years! lol. Hell, what do we do ASAP to honestly and earnestly deal with climate change and its associated fallout loving decades ago.

I know we're all distraught, but reading some of this I just hope that we can see the system has abandoned us, humanity, and this planet... by loss of control or design. How can advocating to abandon it and regain control be wrong?*

Every political conversation in your life should include the caveat that voting is not a solution, that without "radical" change little will be accomplished. Nothing if you count climate change, though we may log some interesting accounts of the collapse for the surviving pockets of civilization to enjoy. Providing they aren't feudal capitalist bunker communities or the group from the end of "don't look up", in which case boy they better loving die and give another species a chance.

*The order of those actions is deliberate and a mindset.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 13, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BRJurgis posted:

So what kind of action changes things sooner than the allowable electoral timetable? In order to protect the rights of women (and all gender/sexual/racial/religious/human rights), in order to do that ASAP in our country, what do we do? Because from my admittedly limited electoral understanding it's now state vs state, with an uncertain timetable of two years! lol. Hell, what do we do ASAP to honestly and earnestly deal with climate change and its associated fallout loving decades ago.

I know we're all distraught, but reading some of this I just hope that we can see the system has abandoned us, humanity, and this planet... by loss of control or design. How can advocating to abandon it and regain control be wrong?*

Every political conversation in your life should include the caveat that voting is not a solution, that without "radical" change little will be accomplished. Nothing if you count climate change, though we may log some interesting accounts of the collapse for the surviving pockets of civilization to enjoy. Providing they aren't feudal capitalist bunker communities or the group from the end of "don't look up", in which case boy they better loving die and give another species a chance.

*The order of those actions is deliberate and a mindset.

Protecting the rights of women sooner than the next election? There is no legal way to do it, given the current Senate. Maybe an armed and violent revolution if you don't count that as being illegal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BRJurgis posted:

Become active in your state's politics and encourage them to pass abortion sanctuary and anti-SB8 laws. There is no way to fix the federal level without an election and no way to call an off-schedule election.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

Protecting the rights of women sooner than the next election? There is no legal way to do it, given the current Senate. Maybe an armed and violent revolution if you don't count that as being illegal.

and the fact that the Democratic Party does not consider abortion rights a priority, yes. this is also a minor issue standing in the way.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Paper of Record asks: Why does Connor Lamb Suck so Much?

quote:

Representative Conor Lamb was supposed to be a Democratic rising star — a Marine veteran, former prosecutor and Pennsylvania moderate who had won in Trump territory and swing suburbs alike. Scores of Democratic officials endorsed him in his run for Senate, eager to pick up a Republican-held open seat and have him roll into Washington next year to bridge the partisan chasm.

It hasn’t quite worked out that way.

Mr. Lamb now heads into the state’s Democratic primary on Tuesday on a much less competitive footing than he or his supporters had hoped. He trails by double digits in polling behind John Fetterman, the shorts-wearing lieutenant governor whose outsider image has resonated with the Democratic base.

Two distinct forces appear to have worked against Mr. Lamb: his campaign’s strategic missteps and his misfortune to be running at a time when Democrats, much like Republicans, are rejecting their party’s centrists.

quote:

Some Democrats appear more eager to elect fighters than candidates who might be tempted, like party moderates, to block their priorities.

“ look at him as another Joe Manchin,” said Elen Snyder, a Democrat and member of Newtown Township’s board of supervisors in Bucks County, referring to Senator Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, the Democrat who has stymied the White House on many issues. Her local Democratic committee interviewed Mr. Lamb but declined to endorse him.

quote:

Still, his progressive politics — he was an early backer of Bernie Sanders — and iconoclastic style have made him well-liked by the party base and created an online fund-raising juggernaut. Mr. Fetterman’s approval with Democrats in the state was 67 percent in a recent Franklin & Marshall College Poll, compared with 46 percent for Mr. Lamb.

“Fetterman astutely ran a campaign focused on Democratic voters more than Democratic elites,” said J.J. Balaban, a Democratic strategist in the state.

My stepmom was a really big Lamb booster in 2018 (she's from Pittsburgh.) She is exactly the kind of person who supports the Lamb types - she's old and she's him as a nice young man. I cannot get her to understand what the appeal of Fetterman is.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

The Paper of Record asks: Why does Connor Lamb Suck so Much?

My stepmom was a really big Lamb booster in 2018 (she's from Pittsburgh.) She is exactly the kind of person who supports the Lamb types - she's old and she's him as a nice young man. I cannot get her to understand what the appeal of Fetterman is.

he has the same target demographic as Buttigeig; people who say "oh what a nice young man" in total sincerity. the ones who democratic fundraising emails actually get to open their wallets.

intellectually I know the second wordcloud analysis and machine learning were invented, someone was going to start applying them to "what fundraising emails produce the most bang for your buck," but emotionally there is a part of me that wants to go back and see what, if anything, changes if the person who introduced Hillaryworld to this bold new technique for maximizing fundraising dollars gets stuck in traffic on the day of their fateful meeting.

there is a systemic bias in the democratic party towards the kind of person who makes comfortable upper-middle-class ladies open up their wallets, and it probably plays more of a role in its consistently picking atrocious losers than we'd like to admit.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

ex post facho posted:

reminder that Nance as house leader said "we shouldn't primary Democrat incumbents" and then went on to support a Senate primary for Joe Kennedy against Ed Markey lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/bostonglobe/status/1296485356502765568

She came up with a killer excuse that she was supporting Kennedy because he was a House member and she has to support her members (over Senators)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/23/pelosi-defends-joe-kennedy-endorsement-400307

*checks notes* What’s this? Markey was a House member for 37 years? Including during all 8 of which Pelosi was minority leader?

Euphoriaphone fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 13, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7vzmp/telegram-far-right-doxxing-judges-calling-for-assassinations

The Far-Right Is Doxxing Judges and Calling For Their Assassinations

Peaceful activists have been camping out near homes of Supreme Court justices in protest over Roe v. Wade. Meanwhile, the far-right is calling for assassinations of Democrat-appointed judges.

quote:

The posts, which appear on a far-right Telegram channel, feature the names and addresses of federal court judges (among other public figures perceived as enemies to the far-right) alongside a bio and a slick red graphic with a Kalashnikov rifle.

The image of the channel on Telegram—the popular encrypted messaging and posting app known in the past for being a safe haven for neo-Nazi terror groups—is the profile of an unidentified militant in a balaclava pointing an assault rifle.

“Remember, change starts with you,” the channel said in its top-line, pinned post. “No one is coming to save us.”

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/mgwin46/status/1525095641705336832?s=21&t=jbwKnwomYuRZqyhBsIwjqw

So who does the thread support to primary this ghoul in ‘24. I think a Draft Fetterman movement might work.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

selec posted:

https://twitter.com/mgwin46/status/1525095641705336832?s=21&t=jbwKnwomYuRZqyhBsIwjqw

So who does the thread support to primary this ghoul in ‘24. I think a Draft Fetterman movement might work.

in retrospect I'm impressed he made it through the protests of 2020 without saying anything worse than 'cops should be trying to maim protesters, not kill them'

ah, to be inside that head, where it is 1982 forever.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

in retrospect I'm impressed he made it through the protests of 2020 without saying anything worse than 'cops should be trying to maim protesters, not kill them'

ah, to be inside that head, where it is 1982 forever.

In retrospect Biden winning over Trump set back a number of movements and emboldened liberal ideology, allowing the further march to fascism.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

selec posted:

It’s amazing how much of a failure he’s been. I mean, anyone who could look at things objectively basically saw all this coming, but it’s still amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’s amazing how much of a failure he’s been. I mean, anyone who could look at things objectively basically saw all this coming, but it’s still amazing.
Agreed

I had low expectations to begin with and he’s somehow not even reached those

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

selec posted:

I don't understand how anyone can defend Biden at this point. Pretty amazing to simultaneously encourage defunding a pandemic that is still killing and maiming enormous numbers of Americans, especially poor and minorities, while advocating to increase funding to police forces who oppress and kill those same minorities.

poo poo, I have COVID right now and it loving bites. It would have been neat if there were funding for more boosters and new vaccines targeting variants that actually still exist.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

The accelerationism was coming from inside the party! It’s just…my god, we are on rails for a huge loving blow up of some kind.

Baby formula shortages, inflation, financial markets going nuts, kicking off wildfire season, demented attacks on any kind of gender or sexual minority, roe v Wade repeal, we have all the makings of a long hot summer rolling right into elections.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Congratulations, you all voted - and votescolded - for this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

selec posted:

So who does the thread support to primary this ghoul in ‘24. I think a Draft Fetterman movement might work

The fact that so many cities severely increased their police budgets the past two years makes this bonkers.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Nucleic Acids posted:

The worst thing about being a leftist is knowing exactly what's going to happen, warning everyone, and having it all fall on deaf loving ears.

Imagine being in the middle of a fascist coup and thinking "we should help staff and militarize the Trump aligned fascists who can legally kill and carry out political violence as a force of habit"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cat botherer posted:

I don't understand how anyone can defend Biden at this point. Pretty amazing to simultaneously encourage defunding a pandemic that is still killing and maiming enormous numbers of Americans, especially poor and minorities, while advocating to increase funding to police forces who oppress and kill those same minorities.

poo poo, I have COVID right now and it loving bites. It would have been neat if there were funding for more boosters and new vaccines targeting variants that actually still exist.

People online or people in reality? Because the people in reality who aren't plugged into all this poo poo think that there is a massive crime wave going on because that's all that they ever hear.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

selec posted:

Didn’t California already get called out for shuffling huge amounts of their Covid funds to cops? Was that just not enough and we gotta increase the pipeline?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Of the available choices...

I think the real message should be "deal with the fact that this is the best your culture can do''

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

CuddleCryptid posted:

People online or people in reality? Because the people in reality who aren't plugged into all this poo poo think that there is a massive crime wave going on because that's all that they ever hear.

That’s just an argument toward the media being complicit in the Dems rightward sprint, which is another thing leftists have been sounding the alarm on for years. We knew MSNBC took marching orders from the DNC back in 2016.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

Of the available choices...

I think the real message should be "deal with the fact that this is the best your culture can do''

Not my culture. I'm a fuckin wop my dude. I'd rather be called that than an American.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Considering the alternative, I'm still happy with the results, such as they are.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RBA Starblade posted:

Considering the alternative, I'm still happy with the results, such as they are.

Yeah. Donald Trump could literally be President right now. People pretend things can't be worse, despite the fact that we have been very aggressively reminded by Justice Alito that they very much can.

I mean I think the thing that makes a squish like Biden or other Democratic leaders a lot easier to take is accepting that not all political messaging is aimed at you. They are trying to mitigate a potentially historic election loss, and crime is of national concern. It's craven political messaging, and you all act like it's a serious policy pronouncement.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 13, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i mean even that is giving him too much credit. he said "shoot them in the leg," you know, where your femoral artery is.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm still happy with the results

Say you aren't a starving Afghan child without saying you aren't a starving Afghan child.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 13, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

RBA Starblade posted:

The results are Trump with slightly more decorum, as many of the same policies are being kept or expanded upon.

The problem with this country is the populace being offered a choice between a poo poo sandwich and a poo poo sandwich with sprinkles and choosing the latter instead of flipping the table and demanding to know why they're being fed turds.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"at least my face isn't being eaten by a tiger" I say as I am subsumed to drown into a boiling brown vat labelled "fertilizer"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah. Donald Trump could literally be President right now. People pretend things can't be worse, despite the fact that we have been very aggressively reminded by Justice Alito that they very much can.

I don't know there's something almost worse to the "you had your shot and royally hosed up... now it's our turn again." That sort of raw understanding that "your side isn't doing anything better" really entrenches apathy and enables the enemy to gain a stronger foothold than if they just would have one a second term.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean I think the thing that makes a squish like Biden or other Democratic leaders a lot easier to take is accepting that not all political messaging is aimed at you. They are trying to mitigate a potentially historic election loss, and crime is of national concern. It's craven political messaging, and you all act like it's a serious policy pronouncement.

Ukraine would be in a very bad state if Trump had won in 2020

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Now do this for "defund the police"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

And certainly the most effective way to counter that disinfo is by giving cops more money to "fight crime."

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Bishyaler posted:

The problem with this country is the populace being offered a choice between a poo poo sandwich and a poo poo sandwich with sprinkles and choosing the latter instead of flipping the table and demanding to know why they're being fed turds.

They're taught from day one that a poo poo sandwich is the only way to go. They're also told every other options are broken glass and acid sandwiches.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I have this weird thing where doing a bad thing is bad, and even if the other guy would do something worse you should still call out said bad things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I don't know there's something almost worse to the "you had your shot and royally hosed up... now it's our turn again." That sort of raw understanding that "your side isn't doing anything better" really entrenches apathy and enables the enemy to gain a stronger foothold than if they just would have one a second term.

It's this. The Presidency swings back and forth between the parties in a fairly predictable cycle. To have our turn wasted on someone like Biden is infuriating. Biden's actions in Afghanistan (specifically the sanctions) will kill more people than the entire occupation / war did. "But Trump would have done worse" is a bullshit claim that's purely a distraction from the fact that Biden is killing thousands of people in Afghanistan right now.