Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox posted:

Lotsa layers here; a summary follows. At the outset, note because of exactly this sort of microbiological contamination issue, infant formula is one of the most heavily regulated food areas. Conversely, FDA's been able to do very little inspection work during Covid (and is of course incredibly, stupidly underfunded).

1. The shortage is caused by a combination of supply chain issues, the recall, and layers of bullshittery by Abbott, the manufacturer. FDA's actual recall was for a relatively small set of brands/products (though still enough for it to cause problems), and didn't include any of the real specialty medical food products that Abbott is the exclusive manufacturer of, and which are the most pressing supply issue.

2. The degree of general infant formula shortage appears to be getting magnified by anti-regulation groups like Cato and the right wing, which are trying to blame this on Biden, somehow. Stats reporting on actual shortage rates are pretty mixed, and as above, it's unclear how much is supply chain issues and how much is the recall.

3. Abbott performed some separate voluntary recalls before the formal recall occurred. "Voluntary" here means FDA told them to issue the recalls, which is a practice the agency usually follows first to let companies save face and let the agency save money on enforcement actions and defending against lawsuits from the companies.

4. Abbott is blaming the FDA recall for all shortages of all product lines, in part by taking advantage of how the agency has very little ability to legally talk about the details of an ongoing investigation. I can't actually tell if production has halted on all of the products being tied to the recall or not. It's possible that after the initial recall, Abbott discovered that their lovely practices were affecting a much broader set of products, which would explain why there's shortages of these other products.

5. FDA's being blamed for all this, but you can see how they're in an impossible bind: they're being blamed for both restricting access to the formula with all their damned safety regs, and for not enforcing the regulations harder/keeping the products safe.

6. FDA ran a routine inspection of the facility last fall. This resulted in warnings about needing to improve bacterial infection monitoring and safeguards, but no serious disciplinary action. According to a whistleblower, Abbott was manipulating or misrepresenting their safety practices during the inspection, complete with some "I can't believe they fell for it!" correspondence.

7. FDA isn't coming out of this clean, either- the whistleblower warning was supposedly sent around to a few people at FDA last year, before the outbreak and deaths, and it's not clear the agency was acting on it. From what indirect coverage I've seen, the warning was accurate and serious, but it looks like the sender sent it direct to random officials rather than through the proper channels, which may be why it wasn't followed up on fast (if at all).

8. An additional layer of messiness is that the whistleblower warning coverage is...very suspiciously timed. There's been a recent set of moves to promote the idea that the food division of FDA is badly organized (true) and should instead be structured entirely under a particular executive at the agency (a guy with deep industry ties and an advocate for things like "let's privatize inspections!" and "supply chain tracing on the blockchain!"). The main thrust of this push was a big article in Politico a few weeks back. I discuss the issues with the article here. Politico also got oddly exclusive, detailed reporting on the whistleblower, who supposedly sent their information to every one of this guy's rivals, but not him.

9. The first coverage of the whistleblower from Politico (which is where I got the content that made the warnings look accurate and serious) immediately tried to tie it to this whole effort to promote the exec. All the subsequent articles about the shortage/recall dropped that angle, which suggests the situation's changed behind the scenes somehow.

Korthal posted:

I work for WIC, so here's what I have gleaned. The factory that produces all the Alimentum and some other formulas shut down because there were reports that two infants died from salmonella. No formula that was sealed had been found with any contamination, but they recalled it all just in case. Alimentum is a gross formula for babies (and some adults) who are allergic to everything. It's actually kind of gross, because all the proteins and carbs are predigested so it actually smells like vomit. Anyways, this meant that all the parents who had this ultra specialized formula had to turn to Enfamil's Nutramegin. Unfortunately there wasn't enough Nutramegin, and then some rumors started that there was a shortage of all formula. Remember Toilet Paper in 2020? Panic buying has to be the #1 reason for the shortage.

To follow up, it was Cronobacter and Salmonella, two deaths and a handful of other sicknesses - CDC traced it back to the plant, I believe (though they've not confirmed presence of the same strains there). Panic buying is a great contributing factor I hadn't thought of. From other congressional comments on this (there's now a subcommittee investigating), the FDA actually interviewed the whistleblower and started investigating within a couple months, which is pretty good process based on the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If Stantis'd ever actually worked for a campaign before, they might have some interesting conversations to draw from, humorous characters they've met or bizarre interactions. But this is good, too, I guess. I mean, it's not good, it's loving poo poo but

um

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Brawnfire posted:

If Stantis'd ever actually worked

Tarragon
Sep 30, 2013

God drat that's a bad cartoon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Korthal posted:

I work for WIC, so here's what I have gleaned. The factory that produces all the Alimentum and some other formulas shut down because there were reports that two infants died from salmonella. No formula that was sealed had been found with any contamination, but they recalled it all just in case. Alimentum is a gross formula for babies (and some adults) who are allergic to everything. It's actually kind of gross, because all the proteins and carbs are predigested so it actually smells like vomit. Anyways, this meant that all the parents who had this ultra specialized formula had to turn to Enfamil's Nutramegin. Unfortunately there wasn't enough Nutramegin, and then some rumors started that there was a shortage of all formula. Remember Toilet Paper in 2020? Panic buying has to be the #1 reason for the shortage.

This is good information to have, thanks for posting. Hopefully all the people who need that special formula manage to find it.

If this is a panic buying situation then stores really need to start doing the whole "one per customer" thing ASAP because that was what finally got the toilet paper situation under control during the pandemic (or at least that's what happened where I was living at the time). Even if there's enough for everyone if just a handful of people believe there's a shortage and start hoarding then suddenly there's none.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Angepain posted:

also holy poo poo kirschen what the gently caress made you think drawing a dead journalist like that was a good idea

a dead "palestinian journalist." it doesn't occur to him that someone might think a person died, and anyone who thinks that is not someone with whom kirschen will ever interact anyway

E: there's a comment thread on that tweet which will elucidate what kind of people support Kirschen's work and why. I do not recommend reading it.

Epic High Five posted:

Why's he even feel the need to claim it wasn't the IDF that shot her? Like they themselves haven't even stated as much as far as I've seen and they literally just raided her funeral. Kirschen's a real POS out loud whenever it's a day he can't just copy+paste a drawing of himself dancing because it's a holiday

I dunno if there was ever an official IDF statement, but there have definitely been claims by the prime minister and certain verified Twitter accounts that she died to friendly fire.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 13, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don’t listen to those chumps, Tina Garrison knows the real reason behind the shortage:

Tina Garrison posted:

AMERICAN BABIES GO HUNGRY AS PELOSI SENDS 40 BILLION TO UKRAINE

Nancy Pelosi’s House voted to send Ukraine 40 billion dollars in aid. Only 57 congress members voted against the bill. This shows us what Congress thinks of the American people and our country. America comes last.

Apparently, American babies come last, too.

Part of the aid package included sending baby formula to Ukraine while store shelves in America remain bare. There are also reports of pallets of baby formula stacked up at our southern border waiting to be distributed to illegal alien mothers who need to feed their children.

Reports are starting to come out about an impending diesel shortage about to hit the east coast. American truckers will have no fuel to run their trucks, which means no deliveries and no products on the store shelves.

You think the incompetence of Joe Biden is causing all this? It’s not. He’s just a puppet. This has all been planned as part of the “Great Reset,” a way to destroy America from within.

You would think the Democrats would at least try to pretend they care about Americans with the midterms rapidly approaching, but they don’t. They are not even making an effort. The Democrats must be so confident in their ability to rig elections that they think they have the midterms in the bag. The American people know what the Democrats are up to and their eyes are wide open and watching. The midterms will be the most closely watched elections in American history. “2000 Mules,” the documentary released by Dinesh D’Sousa, is proof positive the 2020 election was stolen. The Democrat mules were caught red handed. They were tracked by cellular data and caught on video as they stuffed the ballot boxes with thousands of fraudulent ballots. The proof is undeniable and you would have to be a brainwashed Democrat cult member or a mainstream journalist (I repeat myself) not to believe the evidence.

Joe Biden has been the “Resident” for only one and a half years and not only do we have the highest inflation in 40 years, a possible World War III, skyrocketing gas prices, and a diesel fuel shortage—but a baby formula shortage as well?

How is this possible unless it was all planned? It sounds crazy and it IS crazy, but nevertheless it’s the reality we must now face.

Meanwhile, a leading manufacturer of formula, Abbott Laboratories, said that it is working to restart its manufacturing plant in Sturgis, Michigan, after it was shut down amid a Food and Drug Administration investigation.

Biden’s FDA shut down a baby formula plant and now we do not have baby formula for American infants.The fat baby in the incredibly corrupt country of Ukraine guzzles up 40 billion in “aid” which is really a nice way of saying kick backs and money laundering.

There are no coincidences.

So when you hear hungry babies cry, think of Nancy Pelosi and her 25 thousand dollar ice cream freezer as well as her fat little Zelensky chugging down your tax payer dollars.

As of this posting, Senator Rand Paul is temporarily blocking the passage of the bill in the Senate.

Never forget they hate you…Never forgive!
Some truly wild fetishes the Garrisons are into.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nomination: Laziest NonGorrel

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Brawnfire posted:

If Stantis'd ever actually worked for a campaign before, they might have some interesting conversations to draw from, humorous characters they've met or bizarre interactions. But this is good, too, I guess. I mean, it's not good, it's loving poo poo but

um

Not gonna lie, I can't help but be jealous of the grift. I mean, goddamn, at this rate we're going to have to rename the Laziest Non-Gorrell category.

I would kill to be able to make a living doing absolutely jackshit like Stantis does with PC.

DalaranJ posted:

Nomination: Laziest NonGorrel

I really think that you'd have to include all of these "We should go door to door" repeats just to really contextualize how lazy this nomination is.

Fabulous Freebirds rule, but for bad politoons

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah they're called power lines you dipshit.

I think you'd want a rechargeable battery for a car?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lots of towns and cities managed to combine cars, railroads, and power lines together, but the auto companies hated it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Pants Donkey posted:

Don’t listen to those chumps, Tina Garrison knows the real reason behind the shortage:

Some truly wild fetishes the Garrisons are into.

So Garrison is in favor of the government providing poor women with baby formula? https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slack...-making-you-mi/

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I love how none of these conservative cartoonists understand (acknowledge?) that what occurred to cause this was capitalism and greed, it's because of poor equipment maintenance at a facility that was allowing bacteria into their baby formula, needing to recall that and shut down their plant, but no, it's obviously Biden's policies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I think you'd want a rechargeable battery for a car?

Well yeah that too. This is like complaining that gas engines couldn't possibly work because you'd need a hose directly from the oil derrick to your car.

It's incredible how much willful ignorance is needed to pretend like renewable energy is some impossible fantasy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Oh yeah that's the one, it's probably not intellectually honest of me but I default to whatever the worst possible interpretation could be with this guy because, well, how often would I be wrong in doing so

Look at The Lion's lil smile, how can he be the bad guy of the comic :3:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shugojin posted:

Hey, guess who isn't dead yet! Unfortunately!

https://twitter.com/drybonescartoon/status/1524819697774080002

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

Can I second a nomination? Because I second Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Biden’s FDA shut down a baby formula plant and now we do not have baby formula for American infants.

jesus H christ

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The worst part of posting Garrison is coming back to the thread and wondering when the hell you said something so terrible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wondered when we'd see the first "deregulate the baby formula industry" take.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson’s security assurance to Sweden and Finland – The PM has pledged military support if needed to defend the two countries as they consider joining Nato"

Telegraph:

Split between Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak emerging over tax on energy firms' excess profits

Matt:

Wagatha Christie trial: Coleen Rooney turned sleuth after details about reconciliation with Wayne were leaked

Independent:

Times:

Russia warns of ‘military-technical’ response if Finland joins Nato

Evening Standard:

Jacob Rees-Mogg defends plan to cut 90,000 civil servant jobs; Massive black hole at heart of Milky Way seen for first time

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Hey, guess who isn't dead yet! Unfortunately!

https://twitter.com/drybonescartoon/status/1524819697774080002

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

I would make it a life goal to piss on his grave once he's dead, if I wasn't certain that he's an inhuman ghoul already.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Syfe posted:

I love how none of these conservative cartoonists understand (acknowledge?) that what occurred to cause this was capitalism and greed, it's because of poor equipment maintenance at a facility that was allowing bacteria into their baby formula, needing to recall that and shut down their plant, but no, it's obviously Biden's policies.

You fool! Capitalism can't fail! It can only BE failed! :argh:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:: One week to go to the election

Pope:

The left board is the election pitch of the moderate Liberals who risk getting many of their federal members wiped out in a teal wave. (NSW treasurer) Matt Kean warns of Trump-like shift in Liberal party if teal independents oust moderates (Guardian).
The right board is Scott Morrison's reinvention of himself, after campaigning that Australia needs to stick with what it knows he now is saying he can change: 'Bulldozer' Scott Morrison changes his pitch to voters, promising to change his ways (ABC analysis).

Rowe:

With Albanese is Penny Wong (Labor senate leader and foreign affairs) and Jim Chalmers (shadow treasurer). Albanese grew up in a council house in the Sydney suburb of Campertown.
Defence Minister Peter Dutton says a Chinese spy ship has been seen near secretive naval facility off Western Australia (ABC).

Leahy:

Scott Morrison calling himself a bulldozer was always going to get some play in the cartoons.

Dyson:

Knight:

In response to Morrison calling himself a bulldozer Albanese called himself a builder (and reiterated that if you really want a change in leadership style then vote the Coalition out).

Moir:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Deputy Labor leader Richard Marles. The conservative media are running stories about how he visited the Chinese embassy ten times in five years. The wannabe deputy PM and his 'concerning' meetings with China: Senior Labor MP met with Communists multiple times - including AFTER Beijing froze out the Government and attempted to 'destroy' Australia's economy (Daily Mail).

Leunig:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I think a bunch of the conservative responses to the baby formula shortage are disgusting. They blame Biden/FDA/etc and not the company for selling poisoned baby formula. Aren't these the same people pushing for a total ban of abortion, you'd think they would be similarly upset some company is negligently killing infants, but instead they are pissed at the government for stopping the factory from producing poisoned baby formula. Apparently a lot of conservatives just straight up stop giving a poo poo about the life and health of anyone as soon as they are out of the womb. Like as soon as a child takes their first breath conservatives switch from "precious life that must be protected" to "worthless drain on society that shouldn't be allowed to get any handouts from MY tax dollars!".

You would think I'd eventually grow numb to just how big a bunch of assholes conservatives are, but they seem to always find some new way to surprise me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Making a comic about social distribution and government handouts to own the libs.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I think a bunch of the conservative responses to the baby formula shortage are disgusting. They blame Biden/FDA/etc and not the company for selling poisoned baby formula. Aren't these the same people pushing for a total ban of abortion, you'd think they would be similarly upset some company is negligently killing infants, but instead they are pissed at the government for stopping the factory from producing poisoned baby formula. Apparently a lot of conservatives just straight up stop giving a poo poo about the life and health of anyone as soon as they are out of the womb. Like as soon as a child takes their first breath conservatives switch from "precious life that must be protected" to "worthless drain on society that shouldn't be allowed to get any handouts from MY tax dollars!".

You would think I'd eventually grow numb to just how big a bunch of assholes conservatives are, but they seem to always find some new way to surprise me.
Yeah turns out they don't give a poo poo about birth or babies, they just want to control women. Who knew.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Indiana_Krom posted:

As the late great George Carlin once said, "If you're pre-born, you're fine. If you're pre-school, you're hosed."

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 14, 2022

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Who ever guessed that PC was going to use the general election to rerun the exact storyline of the primary election arc down to the individual comics completely nailed it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Syfe posted:

They understand perfectly. They’re excited to use it as an opportunity to deliberately foment hatred of immigrants and democrats.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Do it you coward.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Matt Davies

Phil Hands

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Hunger Games: Mothers across America can’t find essential baby formula for their infants but there’s plenty stashed at the border.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I know I keep saying this but KAL has such great art, even if they're fairly decorum poisoned.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'd love to know what source they're getting this specific "stashed at the border" part of the infant formula attack from. It's a really weird place to draw a line of connection between the recall and immigration.

SirSamVimes posted:

I know I keep saying this but KAL has such great art, even if they're fairly decorum poisoned.

Ya gotta love how they make things look angular through a crosshatched edge.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I AM GRANDO posted:

They understand perfectly. They’re excited to use it as an opportunity to deliberately foment hatred of immigrants and democrats.

Also it's a win-win as far as talking points go for them for how government is bad. The FDA shut down a plant producing baby food? This shows how government regulations are tyranny and must be abolished. The FDA didn't shut down a plant producing poisoned baby food? This shows how government is useless and might as well be abolished.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to know what source they're getting this specific "stashed at the border" part of the infant formula attack from. It's a really weird place to draw a line of connection between the recall and immigration.

It’s because they want to create a false dilemma that links the emotion of concern for children with feelings of hatred for immigrants. It’s like how they’re always saying that homelessness people take resources from needy veterans. It redirects genuine concern toward handy targets and makes anyone trying to explain what’s really happening look like they hate pure white babies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s because they want to create a false dilemma that links the emotion of concern for children with feelings of hatred for immigrants. It’s like how they’re always saying that homelessness people take resources from needy veterans. It redirects genuine concern toward handy targets and makes anyone trying to explain what’s really happening look like they hate pure white babies.

That's a great read on the design of the message, sincerely- I hadn't thought of it at all- but I just mean, usually, when they try to make that sort of connection about a specific resource like infant formula, they've got some specific right wing media source or narrative that gives them a (bad or disingenuous) fact to hide behind. This is about as credible as saying there's no infant formula because Hunter Biden snorted it all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think I remember hearing some right wing media figure saying that Biden or someone from the White House stated that they were legally obligated to send baby formula to kids at the border, because the host was like "Oh so now the Biden administration cares about following the law?"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"Illegally." What law are they breaking, rear end in a top hat?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Murdstone posted:

"Illegally." What law are they breaking, rear end in a top hat?

Republicans think it's illegal to protest things they think are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

If he gave an actual answer and didn't just dodge the question I feel almost certain he'd claim that the protesters are trespassing on the justices' property, which is illegal. But I think Lemming is right, it's just "Things I don't like are illegal," like how an immigrant walking up to the border and saying "I would like to seek asylum in America" is perfectly legal, but Republicans claim it's illegal immigration.