Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pungry posted:

For the first time, in 26 years, the Florida Panthers have WON a playoff round! Three straight comeback wins! So happy.

You’re never going to guess who takes over first place in the drought list.

They could keep that first place tomorrow night, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Powershift posted:

You’re never going to guess who takes over first place in the drought list.

They could keep that first place tomorrow night, too

My question is who is now second. Buffalo?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Levitate posted:

Rangers/Pens very much feels like "whoever can sustain offensive pressure the most will win"

Neither team is defending worth a poo poo and goalies have been "eh" for the most part

Pens go bananas and put the Rangers back on their heels. Rangers respond and score in bunches, back and forth

It's more fun than watching somethign like the Islanders but man the Pens system is irritating as hell too since it's constantly just trying to slip someone behind the D and hit them with a stretch pass. Very pond hockey overall

Pens defense has been exceptional. New York has been massively bailed out by injuring players, their vezina goalie, and shooting on some one slightly better than a shoot tutor.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lol yea, Igor really stealing this series

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

My question is who is now second. Buffalo?

Yes, at 15 years to Toronto’s 16, but in their defence, they haven’t lost a playoff series in 11 years either.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens defense has been exceptional. New York has been massively bailed out by injuring players, their vezina goalie, and shooting on some one slightly better than a shoot tutor.

You forgot the refs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

Pond hockey? They do stretch passes but Sullivan's system is about as grindy as it gets short of playing like Trotz hockey or something.

meant the overall feel of the series. like I said neither team is really playing defense and the goaltending hasn't been great so it's kind of whichever team is putting on pressure goes bananas

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

meant the overall feel of the series. like I said neither team is really playing defense and the goaltending hasn't been great so it's kind of whichever team is putting on pressure goes bananas

Yeah both teams have been pretty bad in their own end and the goaltending has been rear end too. Shesterkin has gotten a little better the past two unfortunately for the Pens but Louis is still playing like Louis.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
ah yes, there are the Calgary Flames I know and love.

Has anyone seen Matthew Tkachuk? I desperately hope he is making $10M a year somewhere else next year. He's a true fuckin brick head.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah after this disappearing act in the playoffs I’d be kinda fine if they looked for someone else. He played great in the regular season but he’s doing absolutely nothing now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Probably shouldn't have broken his hand trying to be a tough guy

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers went 0 for 18 on the power play and won the series in 6 games. The most recent team to win a series without a PP goal was in 2020 when the Lightning went 0 for 10 against the Blue Jackets in their 5 game series win. As far as I could find, the record for most ineffectual power play in a series win was the 2011 Bruins when they beat the Canadiens in 7 games after going 0 for 21.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Rangers or Penguins could theoretically make it to the SCF (you never know, especially considering Montreal and Dallas in the past 2 years), but watching a Rangers team whose star forwards generally aren't performing and whose MVP goalie has been average at best butt heads with a third string goalie and dead Sidney Crosby really feels like the winner will eventually lose to Florida or Carolina or whoever eventually, but good for them.

You can probably copy->paste the same thing about a few teams in the West getting to face Colorado too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I haven’t been happy with their play, gone back a bit to how they were before the trade deadline, but still good experience for a young team to rally from down 3-1 etc

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Probably shouldn't have broken his hand trying to be a tough guy

does breaking a hand make you stop looking where you pass it or are some people just born that way

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tonight was the 2nd time in Rangers history they came back from multiple goals down in an elimination game to win.

Game 5 was the first.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Jesus I saw people on twitter talking about how the Flames mortgaged the future to bring in Jarnkrok, Carpenter and Toffoli but I didn't realize it was this dire for them.. They only have 13 of their original 21 selections in the next three drafts... and no picks from other teams either. I don't know if I've ever seen a team on that few picks in their outlook on cap friendly.. Down to their 2nd, 5th and 7th round picks in the 2022 draft

They really need to win on Sunday lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 14, 2022

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Is there anything that the Stars love more than forcing game 7 in the playoffs? Is this what they meant by them “being built for the playoffs”?

Stiev Awt posted:

N: A podcast I like did a 3 part crime story where the Calgary Flames run a drug ring and worship a fire demon named Gord.

I am bad at internet and would like a link to this.

e:

Starsfan posted:

Jesus I saw people on twitter talking about how the Flames mortgaged the future to bring in Jarnkrok, Carpenter and Toffoli but I didn't realize it was this dire for them.. They only have 13 of their original 21 selections in the next three drafts...
:catstare:

Kupo! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 14, 2022

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Kupo! posted:

Is there anything that the Stars love more than forcing game 7 in the playoffs?

Yes, extremely long overtime games.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

FunOne posted:

Yes, extremely long overtime games.

Oh, yes, excellent point. That is indeed their favorite thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tomorrows game between the Leafs and Bolts might be the most excited I’ve been for a game that doesn’t involve my team in years. Both outcomes are just great stories… you either get two teams that struggle to get out of the first round facing eachother and guaranteeing one gets to the third, or a second round of the Baffle of Florida which could be incredible.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Starsfan posted:

Jesus I saw people on twitter talking about how the Flames mortgaged the future to bring in Jarnkrok, Carpenter and Toffoli but I didn't realize it was this dire for them.. They only have 13 of their original 21 selections in the next three drafts... and no picks from other teams either. I don't know if I've ever seen a team on that few picks in their outlook on cap friendly.. Down to their 2nd, 5th and 7th round picks in the 2022 draft

They really need to win on Sunday lol
Avs are pretty close there too also with only 13 of 21, though I think have more high-quality prospects in their system than the Flames do and have a little bit more of the core locked up for a little longer.

Flames draft picks for the next 3 years are
2, 5, 7
1, 2, 4, 6, 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 6

Avs picks are:
3, 5, 6, 7
1, 3, 5, 6, 7
1, 4, 6, 7

though Avs get the 2024 3rd rounder back if they don't win the cup this year or if they do but Kuemper for some reason doesn't play in 50% or more of the games.

I like a team going for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EL BROMANCE posted:

Tomorrows game between the Leafs and Bolts might be the most excited I’ve been for a game that doesn’t involve my team in years. Both outcomes are just great stories… you either get two teams that struggle to get out of the first round facing eachother and guaranteeing one gets to the third, or a second round of the Baffle of Florida which could be incredible.

I am very excited for it :D

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
PANTHERS YESAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I want the stars to win, but I also want them to burn the organization to the ground. I'm a man of extremes

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I want the stars to win, but I also want them to burn the organization to the ground. I'm a man of extremes
This was what it was like being a Canucks fan once we hired Boudreau.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Well, at least the Caps didn't blow a multi-goal lead this time or do it extremely late in the game. So I guess that's an improvement. But man what a weak team. They just lose straight away into overtime every time it happens.

Thank god the cup in 18 happened. Cause if it hadn't the Ovechkin era(not meaning the dude himself) would be considered one of the biggest wastes of a career in history in terms of postseason success. It's baffling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Thank god the cup in 18 happened. Cause if it hadn't the Ovechkin era(not meaning the dude himself) would be considered one of the biggest wastes of a career in history in terms of postseason success. It's baffling.

Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders would like a word

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Except for the years of success cumulating in the franchise's first championship after 45 years of waiting, what a waste the Ovechkin era was and will be for the remaining four years of his contract as he chases the all-time goals record.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dude , I am stoked.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Some guy on here tried dunking on me that Calgary was a better team than St Louis lmao

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I am also looking forward to the big game. I hope it's a good one!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

DJExile posted:

Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders would like a word

Totally different sports and football has a postseason way more prone to flukes with its one-and-done playoffs. And again, I don't mean ovechkin himself I mean the inability to build a team around him that could succeed in the postseason.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Kawalimus posted:

Totally different sports and football has a postseason way more prone to flukes with its one-and-done playoffs. And again, I don't mean ovechkin himself I mean the inability to build a team around him that could succeed in the postseason.

Ok, Henrik Lundqvist would like a word.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Except they did! The Caps won a cup. Hockey is one of the most luck based sports on earth. The 2nd all time leading point scorer won a pair of cups as a bit part on the early 90s pens as a teenager then spent the remaining 22 years of his career when he emerged as the best winger in history wining nothing and returning to the finals just once aged 41. The NHL's sixth highest scorer Marcel Dionne never won a cup, in fact he appeared in just 49 playoff games over 18 seasons and never made it past the 2nd round. Ray Bourque, probably the 3rd best defenceman in history, had to be traded to a super team aged 39 before he finally won a Stanley Cup. The best player in the league today in Connor McDavid (and arguably since Lemieux) hasn't won squat yet.

I get that Ovi hasn't won as many cups as his archival in Crosby, but not many guys in history have. Ovechkin and the Caps have done petty well all things considered and statistically should've won like maybe one more cup. Overall I don't know how you can call the Ovi era anything other than a success unless your baseline expectation was "80s Oilers dynasty in the cap world somehow."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Matt Zerella posted:

Ok, Henrik Lundqvist would like a word.

He's right over there, talking to Carey Price

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Another Bill posted:

He's right over there, talking to Carey Price

And Luongo. And the Sedins. And Sundin. And Iginla. And Oates. And Hawerchuk. And Perreault. It's really hard to win in hockey. Individual accomplishments have relatively little overall impact on a game.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The take of "if Washington HADN'T won the Cup (that they did win, they won the Cup) then Ovechkin would be a historically great player to not win a Cup (even though he did, he won) is not a good one

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Meanwhile Colin Fraser won 3* Cups in 6 seasons.

* Technically 2 since he didn't play enough games for the 2014 Kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

And Luongo. And the Sedins. And Sundin. And Iginla. And Oates. And Hawerchuk. And Perreault. It's really hard to win in hockey. Individual accomplishments have relatively little overall impact on a game.

I'd forgotten that Oates never won, that's wild.