Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Those posts a couple pages ago about the Sabres are basically me, every offseason, about the Sens' hot finish to the season

And then they draft Brian Boucher's kid and play .300 hockey in the first few months of the following season

Don't fall for it, Sabres fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
As a Minnesotan, I'd just like to say that: I'm depressed

Edit: Last time any Minnesota big four sports team won a championship I was one year old. Kaprizov looks amazing but the Parise-Suter cap hit feels like it's going to prevent us from building anything around him, thus ensuring further misery. If the weather hadn't finally gotten out of winter mode I don't know what the hell I would be doing right now.

Double Edit: Though there is, as always, a silver lining. Because we lost, Chicago doesn't get that pick. This is correct as the Blackhawks deserve nothing good.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 14, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Minny was one of my fun longshot bets, I thought this could be a year they made some noise.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Hello fellow losers.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Minny was one of my fun longshot bets, I thought this could be a year they made some noise.
Well they're crying pretty loud. Crying is noise.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don’t see a path forward for the Caps to exit the first round in the remainder of the Ovechkin era. Like we’ve been posting about for a while now we’ll just enjoy the regular season and watch Ovi rack up more records and awards and keep chasing Gretzky. Next year he’ll pass Gordy Howe at 801, probably around Christmas, and then he’ll begin the long slog towards 894. He’s at 780, so that’s 115 to pass him. It’s :psyduck: mind boggling that he had another 50 goal season, I won’t predict that he can do it again. But he’s on track to catch Gretzky in 3 more seasons.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ovi will surely slow down (especially as the Caps get gradually worse, allowing opponents to focus more and more attention on shutting Ovi down) but 4 years of averaging 30 goals gets him there. Like 40, 34, 29, 24 goals over the next four years puts him past Gretzky at age 41 with 12 goals to spare. Even if starting right now he does nothing whatsoever but just standing on the dot on power plays he'll surely sock 25 dingers a year, which catches Gretzky in four and a half years. Unless injury abruptly ends his career or he decides he doesn't want it that bad and fucks off to get paid all the money in Russia before retiring, he's going to get there.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 14, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There is absolutely a chance for the Caps to go on a nice run in one of the next few years. This is hockey, it's little more than a mildly weighted coin flip as to who wins each series. The absolure highest odds a team can have to win a series is around 7 in 10.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You have to make the playoffs first, and that's going to grow increasingly challenging for the Caps. Plus Going On A Run and actually winning the Cup are very different things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

I don’t see a path forward for the Caps to exit the first round in the remainder of the Ovechkin era. Like we’ve been posting about for a while now we’ll just enjoy the regular season and watch Ovi rack up more records and awards and keep chasing Gretzky. Next year he’ll pass Gordy Howe at 801, probably around Christmas, and then he’ll begin the long slog towards 894. He’s at 780, so that’s 115 to pass him. It’s :psyduck: mind boggling that he had another 50 goal season, I won’t predict that he can do it again. But he’s on track to catch Gretzky in 3 more seasons.

I mean the Caps have a 1 in 7 chance of drawing the Leafs in the first round, a guaranteed first round win.

We will see tonight how well that joke ages.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Eric the Mauve posted:

get paid all the money in Russia before retiring, he's going to get there.

There's at least a chance, that there won't be all the money to pay in there soon, or money that does anything outside the country.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ovi's buddy Putin still has plenty of dosh, I promise.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ovi's buddy Putin still has plenty of dosh, I promise.

Since you couldn't use that money for all too many things there, many normal, common people had, actually, a lot of money in the bank/bedsheet when the Soviet Union collapsed. Then it was all stolen, oligarchized and became worthless. Complete (if) systemic collapses don't necessarily respect wealth before it.
But, who knows and this is very offtopic.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
this thread about to get a whole lot busier

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think Washington can make a smart retool this offseason and still be relatively competitive next year. Their days are being top contenders are likely over, but they can still keep making the playoffs.

They'll have some dead-weight coming off the roster: Schultz and Kempny in particular, but also Hagelin is likely done (either LTIR or trade). I think they are likely to trade Eller given his poor season and the fact that the need to get McMichael or Lapierre into the lineup at some point as well. All of these guys can and should be replaced by league minimum or ELC guys and that should leave them able to make some smart acquisitions to at least keep them in the playoff picture.

I also wonder if they are going to consider trading a core player. They probably shouldn't, but 4 straight first round losses may cause some desperation. Ovechkin is untouchable of course, but I wouldn't be shocked if they fielded offers on John Carlson for instance.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 14, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I have zero issue with a John Carlson trade only if we get value out of it. If it costs us good prospects, then gently caress no.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I have zero issue with a John Carlson trade only if we get value out of it. If it costs us good prospects, then gently caress no.

1. There is literally no way it is going to cost them prospects or picks or whatever to trade a 70+ point defenseman.
2. I don't have an issue with it in theory but they'd need someone to come back and replace him. Not sure if that's doable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'd bridge Zacha on something cheap tbh if possible if only so you can flip and retain later if it doesn't work out or he puts some semblance of decent hockey together and you can reassess.

I've seen MORE than enough of Pavel Zacha, thanks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I think the Caps are fine with a re-tool. Like, not win another Cup fine, but have a good chance to make the playoffs again and perhaps sneak into the second round fine. They were a couple bounces and injuries from ousting the President's Trophy winners after all. They could just as easily fall off a cliff because it's hockey, but they were a solid club this year.

Honestly don't see them trading Eller or Carlson this offseason. Maybe Eller if they are a poo poo heap before the deadline next season, since he will be a pending UFA. But he's fine for a 3C and I don't know who else you go out and get for ~3.5M. Lavy also hates young guys, so I'm not seeing McMichael or Lapierre getting much in the ways of looks. They seemed to almost like Protas more because he's a big body.

Carlson is more of an HFBoards kind of consideration because I think the front office/ownership really looks at him as part of the core to ride it out with Ovi, Kuzy, Backstrom and Oshie.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In 1997 Mark Messier signed with the Canucks and demanded the captaincy from Trevor Linden. Feeling he wasn't being respected enough, messier demanded linden be traded which he was to the Islanders for among other things young defenceman Bryan McCabe.

McCabe stuck with the disappointing Canucks for a couple years but messier and co underperformed and the team decided to rebuild which it did by trading its best young asset in McCabe for a top pick which became the Sedins.

Looking to build around prime power forward Mats Sundin the 2000 Toronto Maple Leafs made a trade to acquire Bryan McCabe after he spent just one year in Chicago flashing but not reaching his potential. McCabe found his footing in Toronto and the team went to the conference finals in 02 falling just short of their first cup finals in 35 years. The Leafs remained a good team that couldn't quite get over the hump and after the lockout decided their aging group had another couple kicks at the can. However, they stuck with now 40 year old Ed Belfour instead of acquiring a new, younger starter. Belfour struggled and the Leafs missed the playoffs by a few points in 05/06 in part due to the strong offensive play of Bryan McCabe who emerged as one of the top powerplay defencemen in the NHL.

Desperate to make the playoffs again the Leafs moved their recently drafted goaltender of the future in tukka Rask to Boston for Andrew Raycroft who'd won the Calder a few years prior but had struggled since. It wouldn't work out for Toronto as raycroft would never get back to his rookie season highs and the team entered a tortuous stretch with no playoffs.

In Boston Rask was quickly established as the Bruins new starter sharing the load with European import Tim Thomas, an American who finally made the nhl aged 32.

Rask was the Bruins intended long term starter but Thomas had an incredible season in 2009 winning the Vezina. However the Bruins still wanted to go with Rask as he was much younger and went back to him in 2010. He had amazing year until, up 3-0 in the second round the Bruins became just the third team in history to be reverse sweeped by the Flyers in part due to Rask struggling. So rather than trade Thomas as they intended, the Bruins went back to them as their starter. Thomas would go on to win the Conn Smythe and stanley cup defeating the Canucks in 7 games.

tl;dr it's Mark Messier's fault the Canucks lost in 2011

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah realistically the only thing the Caps have going on the next few years is Ovi's hunt for Gretzky so they might as well go all-in on All Offense, Screw Defense, and be entertaining while helping Ovi sock his dingers. Which means keeping Carlson who is the very epitome of that philosophy.

And they have the right coach for it too, probably, if the Return of Bruce wasn't an option.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

Well they're crying pretty loud. Crying is noise.

They certainly are.

But it’s not nearly as loud as it’s going to be in other places today and tomorrow.

It’s going to be tight for a couple years, but Kaprizov is a joy to watch and the team was actually a lot of fun for big stretches of the season. They went quiet at a time they couldn’t afford to do. I do expect St Louis to take Colorado to 5-6, but as long as Colorado continues to have multiple lines that can produce they’ll win the series.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also the Caps should play super shithead hockey with more than just Wilson, because due to the hosed up warped nature of NHL officiating that will guarantee them lots of power plays.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mcmagic posted:

I've seen MORE than enough of Pavel Zacha, thanks.

Happy to have him and in return New Jersey can have also RFA Kasperi Kapanen! 1 for 1 and everything!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I wish the Caps would find a better coach than LaViolette but there's not a lot out there.

I'm fine with a retool, but honestly until they fix the goaltending there's no chance of a deep run. Both Samsonov and Vanecek can do great things, but they seem to only be able to do it in small chunks of time and inevitably both turn into pumpkins within a few games. If someone could just teach Samsonov to stay in his loving net and stop flailing he could be great.

I think a retool is the way to go, but I'm also down with the strategy of "gently caress it, just get Ovi to 895 and screw the cup", too. I think a few young, fast prospects who move the puck well could do very well in that department and compensate for the fact that Ovi spends 70% of his shifts just standing on the blue line waiting to enter the zone.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

They certainly are.

But it’s not nearly as loud as it’s going to be in other places today and tomorrow.

It’s going to be tight for a couple years, but Kaprizov is a joy to watch and the team was actually a lot of fun for big stretches of the season. They went quiet at a time they couldn’t afford to do. I do expect St Louis to take Colorado to 5-6, but as long as Colorado continues to have multiple lines that can produce they’ll win the series.

yeah honestly getting to watch Kirill and Zuke torch lovely teams for the next three years will rule regardless of whatever else happens. i watched a lot of Minnesota this year because Zuke is my all-time favorite player and it was a real treat. I hope they can keep most of their team and bring in some dudes on good contracts. they might be able to get a few neat KHL guys or something.

ThinkTank posted:

bryan mccabe words

that very same year in 2011, the Rangers traded for Bryan McCabe as THE MISSING PIECE to their longstanding power-play quarterbacking issue since when they traded Brian Leetch.

they proceeded to feed him about 10 shots a game, all of which went way aside/over/beyond the net. they lost to the Caps in like 5 or 6 games.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

tl;dr it's Mark Messier's fault the Canucks lost in 2011

The devil is always there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

I wish the Caps would find a better coach than LaViolette but there's not a lot out there.

I'm fine with a retool, but honestly until they fix the goaltending there's no chance of a deep run. Both Samsonov and Vanecek can do great things, but they seem to only be able to do it in small chunks of time and inevitably both turn into pumpkins within a few games. If someone could just teach Samsonov to stay in his loving net and stop flailing he could be great.

I think a retool is the way to go, but I'm also down with the strategy of "gently caress it, just get Ovi to 895 and screw the cup", too. I think a few young, fast prospects who move the puck well could do very well in that department and compensate for the fact that Ovi spends 70% of his shifts just standing on the blue line waiting to enter the zone.

Ovi got 9 empty net goals this season, I think he can do better.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

The devil is always there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Wasn’t this someone’s av for a bit? gets me every time :lol:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Wasn’t this someone’s av for a bit? gets me every time :lol:

Yeah I can't remember who but someone had it a while back lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How can you possibly go so long talking about Bryan McCabe without posting this gem?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

yeah honestly getting to watch Kirill and Zuke torch lovely teams for the next three years will rule regardless of whatever else happens. i watched a lot of Minnesota this year because Zuke is my all-time favorite player and it was a real treat. I hope they can keep most of their team and bring in some dudes on good contracts. they might be able to get a few neat KHL guys or something.

Who does Minny even need to re-sign over the next couple years? A lot of the guys who "broke out" don't seem particularly integral to the team in my opinion

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

We could definitely update the Leafs Victory Flowchart with Keefe, Clifford, and Holl in place of Quinn, Tucker, and McCabe

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Who does Minny even need to re-sign over the next couple years? A lot of the guys who "broke out" don't seem particularly integral to the team in my opinion

Boldy will be RFA in two. Fiala is UFA this summer, but w/e. There’s some decent prospects that got good high minutes in Iowa this year, but it’s all entry level for the best prospects. There may be issues on D, but that should be okay if they can keep Addison and move him up too.

It’s going to be 3 years of good enough for now because there’s no cap to improve. The sky isn’t really falling and the buyout is still the right move because it means they aren’t running Parise around on the 4th line and having Suter wanting top pairing minutes when we need that ice time for the next bunch of guys. As soon as you start looking 2-3 years ahead a lot of these moves start making sense.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

eXXon posted:

How can you possibly go so long talking about Bryan McCabe without posting this gem?

EVERY time I see or hear his name, I sing the chorus to this song: https://youtu.be/CRSSjqfFfYM

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
E: double post.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Ok who still has the edit that adds “but we put MCCABE on this poster ANYWAY” to the bottom?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

May I be the first to say "welcome Bruins"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

eat poo poo bruins