Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Someone better start posting some Star Wars anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly i appreciate that even bad movies are simply movies, and will end in 1-3 hrs instead of the current tally of 16 hours of mostly crap i have watched called Gundam SEED

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

dogsicle posted:

honestly i appreciate that even bad movies are simply movies, and will end in 1-3 hrs instead of the current tally of 16 hours of mostly crap i have watched called Gundam SEED

But did you follow it up with Gundam SEED Destiny?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fluffdaddy posted:

Will this suffice as tribute? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GRYa_3gno

dogsicle posted:

Idk, I liked that at least to me, as my previous foray into Gundam at the time was Gundam Wing, that Gundam Seed seemed to be doing something very different; with the Gundams being more like really advanced prototypes instead of merely being made with a magic metal. It leaned more into my tastes for Clancy style military thriller than Wing did.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

the star wars anime looked bad to me

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

homeless snail posted:

I do, and so does in*gami k*rone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah the middle one was legitimately the more interesting one even though it was held back by the events of the previous film.

Then of all of the EU to content mine they had to go with "Idk Palpatine comes back?" for the 3rd when they could've done virtually anything else and been better off for it. Have Darth Revan and the Starforge make a return, that's way more plausible. I couldn't take 1,000 Superstardestroyers each armed with a planet killer gun seriously; but the fully restored starforge endlessly able to produce Star Destroyers? That would've been a reasonable high stakes threat.

e: On that note, Rey being the long lost descendent of the Player Character in KOTOR 1/2/the MMO instead would've been better and more fun than being a Palpatine. Maybe actually have it that Revan's genetic memories are locked inside her and she gets captured/turns herself over and turns into Revan and takes over the First Order while a redeemed Ren has to try to succeed where Solo failed and get her to fight it maybe could be kinda neat(er) way of trying to do that kind of plot.

I am pretty sure that bringing back Palpatine had nothing to do with the expanded universe and everything to do with him being a familiar character from the original trilogy. Because from their perspective the whole point of making these movies was to cash in on that nostalgia, not to appeal to the hyper-nerds.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

star wars is loving cringe gundam is the superior toy commercial
hathaway part 1 is so good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm experiencing SEED through SRW and i'm assuming that is the correct way to go about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

should've put in more asterisks so fluffdaddy couldn't figure it out

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Star wars loving SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
been watching gundam the origin

not really enjoying it that much honestly. probably gonna finish it and never watch it again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

But did you follow it up with Gundam SEED Destiny?

i haven't even finished SEED, it's that long. also consensus seems it only gets worse...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Idk, I liked that at least to me, as my previous foray into Gundam at the time was Gundam Wing, that Gundam Seed seemed to be doing something very different; with the Gundams being more like really advanced prototypes instead of merely being made with a magic metal. It leaned more into my tastes for Clancy style military thriller than Wing did.

i mean i don't see how it even gets praise as an anime irrespective of its franchise, unless you're going to caveat the awful pacing, writing, and how it looks like poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can only understand it at as something people may have (naively?) enjoyed at the time, or like through a lens of nostalgia and selective memory that lets you do the fun stuff like drastically rewrite characters into something more worth shipping than they are in canon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait I thought that the black dude who sounds white was the original audio track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEPeJzjk558

I think that's Beau Billingslea doing the English dub? Jet and Spike having a disagreement.

You're probably right, I just got confused and thought "English voice in Japanese anime = dub."

In any event, I use dubs for everything, video gams and anime. I mentioned Cowboy Bebop earlier, and with all the talk of Yakuza, I'm reminded of discussions of Dubs vs Subs which talked about how anime like CB and stuff like that worked best with dubs while "super Japanese" stuff like Rurouni Kenshin worked best in original language. I do recall the VAs could never keep Hiko Seijuro straight, they'd constantly switch between that and Seijuro Hiko. I'm not sure which is right.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i haven't even finished SEED, it's that long. also consensus seems it only gets worse...

i mean i don't see how it even gets praise as an anime irrespective of its franchise, unless you're going to caveat the awful pacing, writing, and how it looks like poo poo.

Those people are absolutely wrong, SEED is way better by the end than it was in the beginning when it was just a very bad copy of 0079 with replays of the exact same two lines ad nauseam.

I do love SEED's first OP, though. One of my favorites in Gundam.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i watched a lot of dubs years ago but now that I watch stuff as it comes out I watch subs. video games mostly dubbed i guess, except yakuza. would be weird hearing anyone but kuroda come out of kiryu

baccano! still is best dubbed, though

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fluffdaddy posted:

It's called oban star racers. It's literally just star wars ep 1 podracing: the anime

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Jp op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHkv1NnXwI

us op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9YTr8gBPI

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vizuyos posted:

been watching gundam the origin

not really enjoying it that much honestly.
rofl

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

NikkolasKing posted:

Those people are absolutely wrong, SEED is way better by the end than it was in the beginning when it was just a very bad copy of 0079 with replays of the exact same two lines ad nauseam.

I do love SEED's first OP, though. One of my favorites in Gundam.
19 years ago, NPR’s “To The Best Of Our Knowledge” had an anime segment and used “Invoke” for the outro but credited it as the “Theme from Gundam Wing” and im still mad about it.

all those emails i sent correcting them… for nothing!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The uk are going to win Eurovision

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Get hype

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fluffdaddy posted:

Why don't you post a fitness log bitch

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

Here, OP.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ninth Jedi was probably the best part of Star Wars: Visions. The only downside was Masi Oka. His performance was pretty terrible in the dub.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

I'm not really praising it per se, only that as a kid there were things I liked about it enough even if I could vaguely tell it wasn't as good as Wing. Which generally informs my general tastes with anime, I'm willing to watch a "bad" anime, if it has or executes novel ideas. And then Destiny was also one of the first few animes until like Wixoss that had like a sequel with a new cast that crossovered with the old cast and as someone who was really into the 90s era Marvel cartoons that had these big crossover events like Secret Wars that it scratched an itch that I needed scratched.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm sad at what could have been, the nu trilogy was just crippled

boy let me tell you about nutrek,

maybe instead let's talk about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Manga

marumaru
May 20, 2013

mycophobia posted:

ive only seen wing and its also very boring

IBO is loving dope
Hathaway is beautiful (but the required* 30-year-long backlog of context you need* to understand it can put you off)

*optional

hathaway's intro is seriously good. watch that and then turn it off if you want

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

goodbye larry

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thats the place you work at, and the place that reports exclusively about you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

The Podrace section was kinda cool though. :shobon:

Duel of the Fates and the fight with Darth Maul is the standout part of TPM for me.

mycophobia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Fluffdaddy posted:

give us a weird star wars anime like that one samurai batman anime we got

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want Lady Une to kick me out of a plane and brutally headshot me as I plummet to a painful death

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kirbysuperstar posted:

I want Lady Une to kick me out of a plane and brutally headshot me as I plummet to a painful death

there are worse ways to go, it's true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Perhaps he wondering why you would shoot a man AFTER throwing him out of a plane?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel like shooting a man after you've tossed him out of an airplane is a lot safer for the shooter than doing it the other way around

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be extremely painful. For you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
is this where we go to talk about korone?