Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

if you watch it you will find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

if you watch it you will find out

Oh I will, I just wanted to be clear on that one detail since the promos made it look like things could possibly go either way

Edit: Looked it up just now and yes they do (going full Rayearth in the process)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 15, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

timeskip bylaws demand that everyone must have a different haircut

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Holy poo poo. Good ending.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
A great, bittersweet ending to a great animated show.

I'm feeling feelings 'bout these frogs, man.

sequel series following Sprig as he explores the new continent when

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Everyone's gonna be on their poo poo about canon queerness and ships and stuff but I'm going to be off my gourd about the existential trip that is Anne being literally dead as hell and returned as a copy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally watched this, decent yet bittersweet ending and I kind of liked the timeskip at the very end and the girls going full anime with the Calamity powers. Also ballsy move to (at least temporarily) kill off the main character

If Matt ultimately decides to continue this in some format I wouldn’t say no to that honestly. But otherwise it was a good (albeit somewhat rushed in a few places) show and I’m going to miss it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

how a snail and bird gently caress tho

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

kidcoelacanth posted:

how a snail and bird gently caress tho

love finds a way

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like Andrias is no longer king and is at least trying to rebuild the land so that’s something at least. I like Frog Polly as well and I guess whatever Loggle did to himself during the rebellion wore off eventually, also Yunan and Olivia are a couple now and no one can tell me otherwise

A pity the box was destroyed but I imagine Polly and Sprig will figure something out (like I said, there’s still potential to continue this in some format should the creators feel up to it). Anne becoming a herpetologist in the future made a lot of sense as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 15, 2022

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I’m about ready to collapse into a puddle of tears emotionally. Feels weird to have a cartoon actually stick the landing for once, not even Gravity Falls did that!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while I still think a few of All In’s plot points could have gone down better had they been pushed to earlier in the series that was overall a satisfying ending to a really good series (the finale hit most of the notes I wanted it to as well)

Also to be clear, Anne actually died back there and some sort of backup clone was made in her place right?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 15, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I legit feel the ending was almost perfect. My only issue was the existential issue of Clone!anne.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
:sueme:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Covok posted:

I legit feel the ending was almost perfect. My only issue was the existential issue of Clone!anne.

I am living for this poo poo. What a move to stone cold kill your protagonist and make the result existentially messy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Too bad, if Sasha would've got the kill shot on the Core helmet instead of getting distracted over something as silly as her friend's life (:v:), everybody could've just gone back and forth between worlds forever and Anne wouldn't have had to deal with the existential crisis of being a copy.

I kind of would've liked an epilogue (or an epilogue to the epilogue I guess) where an old Anne (got a good lol when Anne got to find out when she's gonna die... again) goes back to God Domino and becomes the new Guardian

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Didn't Terri create a portal that worked? Granted they would need a lot of power to make a big enough portal, but it's doable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also nice little detail: an instrumental version of “No Big Deal” was playing during the final battle (also Andrias did a callback to one of Anne’s lines from back in Reunion).

A pity Calamity Sasha & Marcy only lasted a couple minutes total but at least we finally got them (Marcy forgave Andrias pretty quick though but then again that’s kind of in character for her to be fair). Speaking of, I wonder who if anyone is running things back in Newtopia now (assuming it’s still standing that is)

If anyone was in doubt about aspects of this series being a love letter to Magic Knight Rayearth this episode pretty much clinched it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 15, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
A+ ending, beautiful series. The only thing it was missing was An implied sequel hook suggesting Anne and co. might be able to return to Amphibia at some point. I felt like they were even kind of setting that up with the final lines of the show but didn't follow through.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m impressed that what started as primarily a goofy (albeit somewhat dark humored) comedy show naturally evolved into this grand adventure with actual stakes while at the same time never straying too far from its roots.

I’m going to miss this series and hope that Matt and his team have something else planned for the future (be it a sequel/spinoff or a wholly original IP)

As I’ve said before, Brenda Song did great in what was essentially her first ever voice acting job and I hope she keeps at it. Though some of them were old pros like Bill Farmer, Troy Baker, and Keith David the rest of the cast did a phenomenal job as well (I honestly don’t think there was a single bad/lackluster performance among them)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 15, 2022

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I wouldn’t mind a comic miniseries or something about Ivy, and Polly exploring that hidden continent

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Upon reflection, one thing I'm glad they didn't do in the epilogue is have any of the characters hook up or have them have kids or something (at least, on screen). Like, if you want to ship them that's fine, you do you, but to me the story's always been kind of a celebration of strong platonic friendships and how they can change over time.

If you are super into shipping though, Sasha's bi so have fun with that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
"I've already waited thousands of years. What's another 78?"

TwoPair posted:

Upon reflection, one thing I'm glad they didn't do in the epilogue is have any of the characters hook up or have them have kids or something (at least, on screen). Like, if you want to ship them that's fine, you do you, but to me the story's always been kind of a celebration of strong platonic friendships and how they can change over time.

If you are super into shipping though, Sasha's bi so have fun with that.

Well, they're only 23, which would be pretty young to do that by contemporary LA standards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The digital version apparently had an extended credits sequence with a few extra scenes:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NKe8Ko8jDDk

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YOH1zrwxllI

Also while it would have been nice to see them reconcile in person I’m glad Sasha at least mentioned Percy and Braddock towards the end at any rate

As others have said, pretty ballsy move to in a sense kill off the main character and replace her with a clone

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 15, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
gently caress you all. I'm not crying. You're crying.

*sob*

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That was really good! Strongest finale I've seen in a cartoon in a good long while.

When are we getting the Amphibia/Owl House crossover film where they team up to find a way to reunite with their respective friends? The multiverse is big right now, Disney! You could make thousands of dollars!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Everyone posted:

gently caress you all. I'm not crying. You're crying.

*sob*

No joke. That was a great finale.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I've gotta say, I think this is the most satisfied I've been with an animated series as a whole in a good, long while. Some stray thoughts about the finale now that I've had time to reflect:

I'm assuming the pose of that Anne statue was backup choice after the version with her dabbing caught fire too many times.

I do wish Percy and Braddock had showed up in person at some point during the finale, I feel like Sasha had kind of earned the chance to make peace with them by series' end.

Given his lack of appearances later in the series I can only assume Aldo of the Toad Lords just completely decomposed into dust at some point offscreen.

General Yunan and Lady Olivia hooking up was really cute.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RIP Anne’s two missing shoes

I’m kind of curious now where Percy and Braddock went after leaving Grime’s army in Season 2 and what the government did with the giant mantis arm left behind at the end of Escape to Amphibia.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 15, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The pacing of the ending was a bit rushed and may have benefited from the epilogue being an entire episode but it was really drat good. I agree with people saying we need a Sprig spinoff series.

Larryb posted:

Did she like, intentionally ditch her other shoe offscreen when she returned to Amphibia or did I miss a scene of her losing it again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Answered better below

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 15, 2022

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Larryb posted:

I’m kind of curious now where Percy and Braddock went after leaving Grime’s army in Season 2 and what the government did with the giant mantis arm left behind at the end of Escape to Amphibia.

I thought the government captured the one-armed mantis when Anne opened the portal.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I liked that Sprig turns into Dipper from Gravity Falls at the end, with a cypher decryption chart on the wall. Has anyone used that to translate the final word on the last screen?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the government captured the one-armed mantis when Anne opened the portal.

Ah, I forgot if the mantis itself stayed on earth or got sucked back into the portal. We don’t see it again to my knowledge so the question still stands though (maybe it’s locked up in some top secret lab or something).

Also I’m kind of curious who’s in charge of Newtopia/Amphibia in general now considering that Andrias gave up his crown (and probably would have been stripped of command anyway if he hadn’t considering all the poo poo he pulled)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I liked that Sprig turns into Dipper from Gravity Falls at the end, with a cypher decryption chart on the wall. Has anyone used that to translate the final word on the last screen?

The final word is just The End but in Thai. I too stared at the cipher for too long trying to figure it out until just going to the internet and having it told to me.

readingatwork posted:

Did she like, intentionally ditch her other shoe offscreen when she returned to Amphibia or did I miss a scene of her losing it again?

It's in Commander Anne in the montage of Anne leading everybody poorly on her first resistance mission. The Plantars fall into some quicksand (or I guess a bog or whatever), Anne tries to save them only to start sinking herself, and then Sasha and the resistance get them out. In the next scene, the shoe's gone. Presumably it's at the bottom of the swamp. There's a joke at the end where Anne hasn't noticed until Hop Pop points it out and she goes.

Scene happens here

KingKalamari posted:

I've gotta say, I think this is the most satisfied I've been with an animated series as a whole in a good, long while.

Agreed. A lot of shows either feel too stretched out or too rushed but this one nailed it pretty much just right. Do I wish there was more? Of course, but it's better to end according to plan than to risk things getting too long in the tooth, or to overexplain something/focus too much on one character instead of leaving things to the imagination.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 15, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e:doublepost

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Hop Pop finally achieved his dream of growing avocados

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Godamn, that was a great finale and a great show. I was a latecomer, but thankfully that meant I could just binge the earlier seasons until I caught up. But now, alas, I've reached the end of Amphibia content.

Now to twiddle my thumbs until Marcy's Journal comes out and we get more lore! That or check out the forbidden well of fanfiction...

Really hoping Matt also gets to do an Amphibia version of Lost Legends, too.

We never did find out who wrote that book on Earth that first lead Marcy to the Calamity Box, did we?

Also I too would be 100% happy with Amphibia: Distant Lands or whatever.

I guess I might also dig up Pepper Ann on Disney+, since that was apparently an influence on the series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Godamn, that was a great finale and a great show. I was a latecomer, but thankfully that meant I could just binge the earlier seasons until I caught up. But now, alas, I've reached the end of Amphibia content.

Now to twiddle my thumbs until Marcy's Journal comes out and we get more lore! That or check out the forbidden well of fanfiction...

Really hoping Matt also gets to do an Amphibia version of Lost Legends, too.

We never did find out who wrote that book on Earth that first lead Marcy to the Calamity Box, did we?

Also I too would be 100% happy with Amphibia: Distant Lands or whatever.

I guess I might also dig up Pepper Ann on Disney+, since that was apparently an influence on the series?

I assumed the book was a record of Leif’s writings that a human researcher later compiled together (I think Hop Pop had a similar book in his library). We don’t know exactly how long she stayed on Earth before returning home and settling down in Wartwood after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This was really sweet. I do like that Anne and Sasha just kinda fell into different groups of friends. That feels real to me.