Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

my hot take is that the leafs shouldnt blow up anything and they are actually a very good team who got poo poo luck with the seeding this year.
The collapses of the past seem very different than losing to Tampa :shrug:
i know this is the exact line management will probably use but i think its actually correct this time

Under the old playoff format, the Leafs would have played Boston this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Here's my Toronto buddy's take:

Honestly might be the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Lol

The half crop on ur reply is :discourse:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
James Mirtle pre-emptively celebrating the Leafs after they went up 3-1 on Montreal last year gets better every time this happens.

https://theathletic.com/2613685/202..._shared_article

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Outside of throwing the bank at Barry Trotz I'm really not even sure what moves get made.

Kessel is going to officially off the books lol

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

gonna go for 6 in the six next year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Outside of throwing the bank at Barry Trotz I'm really not even sure what moves get made.

Kessel is going to officially off the books lol

After three or four summers of "stay the course, it'll all come together I promise" you gotta figure the Leafs do something significant to the core. I don't know if that means moving Tavares, Marner or Nylander or just using assets to jettison bigger contracts like Muzzin, Mrazek or Brodie, but something will happen. I know Reilly just signed a big extension, but maybe he's the odd man out. I figure any trade will move dollars out for picks/prospects and the cap will be reallocated in free agency. If they can clear up some space I can see them being players for a quality veteran like Bergeron, Trochek or Giroux. One of Keefe and/or Dubas will get axed to show that ownership isn't satisfied.

It seems unfathomable that they can convince the fanbase that seventh time is the charm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

Here's my Toronto buddy's take:

Honestly might be the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Lol

Nothing wrong with doing drugs to forget about the pain.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1525853510444756995?s=20&t=7_mDPHiYu3iSycbPfntGow

Man this sucks. He was visibly laboring this year but he still gutted out a decent enough playoff performance. Kind of crazy that this might be it for him?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

WeaponX posted:

The half crop on ur reply is :discourse:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wondered why I saw WORLDSTAR in the thread title.

Did I miss the link between this and the Leafs losing in 7 once again?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wondered why I saw WORLDSTAR in the thread title.

Did I miss the link between this and the Leafs losing in 7 once again?

i am guessing i copied the wrong tweet link, high off of the euphoria of the leaves losing, and whatever hilarious thing i had lined up is lost to time forever

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/rmnb/status/1525857107488251904?s=20&t=7_mDPHiYu3iSycbPfntGow

Tom Wilson injures himself because he tried to avoid making a big hit.

He won't make the same mistake next season. Everyone better watch their heads!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1525853510444756995?s=20&t=7_mDPHiYu3iSycbPfntGow

Man this sucks. He was visibly laboring this year but he still gutted out a decent enough playoff performance. Kind of crazy that this might be it for him?

Sad and a tragedy but it’s for the best, health comes first. We’ve all suspected it was bit something not getting any better after watching him deteriorate over two seasons. Unless there’s some massive milestone for him to hit next season by gutting it out one more time, he should hang up the skates. Retire and it will free up some badly needed cap space. But it will be the end of an era for sure.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Bergeron is going to retire and the Bruins are going to be Not Great for a while. No #1 and arguably no #2 center either yikes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man...
Caps with Backstrom, Bruins without Bergeron, Pens possibly without Malkin

League is going to be weird as all hell next season

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Am I too late for a lmao leafs?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nah, you’re just really early for next year.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's evergreen, so don't worry

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think Bergeron is going to retire and the Bruins are going to be Not Great for a while. No #1 and arguably no #2 center either yikes.

This is the team that the Wngs can catch next year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

This is the team that the Wngs can catch next year.

Monkey's paw curls

25th: Detroit Red Wings
26th: Boston Bruins

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

drat. I've actually always liked watching him, except against the Pens. He has a calmness to his game that I've always liked.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Powershift posted:

Monkey's paw curls

25th: Detroit Red Wings
26th: Boston Bruins

"Drag down the Boston Bruins" is a good goal, all the time.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Nicky is my favorite Cap and to lose him will be the end of an era. He can still make incredible plays with open ice, but he's too slow and stiff to do all the things you need a center to do. I suspect he'll try to come back at least another season before giving it up though.

Would be very interesting if he were to retire. There was a time when you could have gotten Eller to play up to a 2C, but I don't think he's that guy anymore. Maybe more opportunity for McMichael than I thought!

I'm not even sure what they would do with that $9M. They have to go out and replace Schultz for sure, but I'm not sure if they'd spend that extra cap on a center, more defensive depth or even a goalie.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://nypost.com/2022/05/14/expec...=site%20buttons

quote:

They need to add a young threat for Barzal, who will become a restricted free agent with arbitration rights following next season and is only two seasons away from unrestricted free agency. Let’s hope the British Columbia native didn’t swath himself with Canucks pajamas when he was growing up.

barzal and a 1st for miller

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Fans have been clamoring for a Wahlstrom/Barzal/Bellows line for the past two seasons, but both those two prospective wingers have been pretty underwhelming as of recent.

As far as the coaching side goes, will Trotz be taking the rest of his staff with him? Lane Lambert did a good job coaching the team while Trotz was out for his mom's funeral.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In what universe do the Canucks have the cap space to take on another massive contract?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Not Important posted:

As far as the coaching side goes, will Trotz be taking the rest of his staff with him? Lane Lambert did a good job coaching the team while Trotz was out for his mom's funeral.

He'll probably take at least Mitch Korn along with him.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ThinkTank posted:

In what universe do the Canucks have the cap space to take on another massive contract?

you're right. barzal for miller + oel. easy

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Hi friends, good to be back.

Very pleased with the Kings season. No one realistically expected anything other than a mid lottery pick and we took Connor to 7 games.

Also, its 24 hours later and I cannot stop thinking about

https://twitter.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1525667807102480384

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Here's that handshake quote in pic form

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MaoistBanker posted:

lmfao

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

But hey Matthews had fifty goals in his last 50 games.

Yeah, this was a real cool part of the season. Really fun to watch.

MaoistBanker posted:

The power of a good handshake cannot be underestimated.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are 12,500 people at the NLL game in Buffalo tonight.

Considerably more than the average Sabres game.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Powershift posted:

There are 12,500 people at the NLL game in Buffalo tonight.

Considerably more than the average Sabres game.

NLL playoffs are loving nuts. If you think hockey refs don't call anything in the playoffs, watch these lacrosse refs ignore dudes getting cross checked in the throat, axe chopped in the head with sticks, and rolling around on the ground brawling while play continues. Lacrosse loving rules.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Leafs shouldn't blow up the team. They looked good against the back to back cup champs that look good enough to win again.

Hockey is really loving random. The leafs are cursed. The players are really good and noticeably improved this season. There is nothing to gain by replacing anyone except the fringe and maybe the coach. Although Toronto for the most part was a great team all around this year.

This loss sucks and in the context of team history makes it insane and makes blowing things up seem like the right decision emotionally, but the issues of past teams were not present this year. It was just a tough draw and a close series.

Also I love all the players and they all had personal best years and are top players in the league. Also Kyle Dubas is a good general manager. They could use a different coach though I think.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That team with a different coach and a better defense could make some huge strides.
Make huge office changes and shuffle what you can roster wise. Maybe swing for the fences on nabbing Klingberg or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think they take a run at Trotz for sure. The team's better but they need to get out of the first round.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That team with a different coach and a better defense could make some huge strides.
Make huge office changes and shuffle what you can roster wise. Maybe swing for the fences on nabbing Klingberg or something

They already have Morgan Rielly about to make $7.5M, they don’t need a taller version

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

They already have Morgan Rielly about to make $7.5M, they don’t need a taller version

Don’t blame you for not watching the Stars/Flames series, but Klingberg is also an enforcer now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Don’t blame you for not watching the Stars/Flames series, but Klingberg is also an enforcer now

Sheldon Keefe’s ears have perked up