Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

fit em all up in there posted:

Is The Forest any good ? It's a weekend deal.

That's the horror survival game? I didnt care for it but only played multiplayer which is buggy.

I do like shotgun king:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1972440/Shotgun_King_The_Final_Checkmate/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KoNABpGauYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jumping in on the metroidvania conversation - are there any that put more focus on exploration and less on combat? I love exploring and unlocking/discovering new areas. I am also extremely poo poo at platformers but I can deal with the jumping better than I can combat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Jumping in on the metroidvania conversation - are there any that put more focus on exploration and less on combat? I love exploring and unlocking/discovering new areas. I am also extremely poo poo at platformers but I can deal with the jumping better than I can combat.

Environmental Station Alpha maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wuppo, maybe, but the split is still like 60/40 iirc

Tunic has an optional god mode

Yoku's Island Express has pinball instead of combat if that'd be an improvement

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 15, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fit em all up in there posted:

Is The Forest any good ? It's a weekend deal.

It's fun in coop but janky and weird. I hope you like killing babies!

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

The Ori games. I also hear this is true for Axiom Verge 2, but haven't played it myself. I didn't think the recent Haiku, the Robot's combat was very hard, and it's a decent game, though perhaps a tad too much "Hollow Knight but robots".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bad Seafood posted:

La-Mulana's another, though difficult to recommend. It's very obtuse, though in a creeping way. I played through it with a notebook, drawing maps, recording lore, and while that served me well for the first half of the game, the back half steadily got more and more confusing, until I finally broke down and checked a guide. Still not sure I'd believe anyone who told me they solved the mantra puzzle without a guide without brute forcing it.

I recently picked up the sequel, and so far it's smoother sailing. I'm still early on though, so that could change.

The sequel is fantastic. I wouldn't talk anyone out of playing the original first, especially because so many of La-Mulana 2's best surprises come from subverting expectations you have from the first game, but if you wanted to like La-Mulana and found it just a little too obtuse or mechanically just a little too unfriendly, La-Mulana 2 nails the balance without sacrificing any of the mystery or difficulty. There are still some stumpers in there, but the way the game is structured you typically have a few different directions you can go in to progress at once, so if you're stuck on a puzzle or a difficult boss you can usually go do something else instead of just hitting a brick wall.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the Assassin's Creed disclaimer is funny but the one they had to put on Ghost Recon Wildlands because a whole country got mad at them is hilarious.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

La-Mulana's another, though difficult to recommend. It's very obtuse, though in a creeping way. I played through it with a notebook, drawing maps, recording lore, and while that served me well for the first half of the game, the back half steadily got more and more confusing, until I finally broke down and checked a guide. Still not sure I'd believe anyone who told me they solved the mantra puzzle without a guide without brute forcing it.

I recently picked up the sequel, and so far it's smoother sailing. I'm still early on though, so that could change.

I solved the mantra puzzle without brute forcing it and it's my favorite puzzle. Fite me.

Though I did play with some friends and we'd bounce ideas around, so I wasn't entirely without help and I definitely cheated in other aspects of the game.

Still, I love that every puzzle in La Mulana has a very clear and real logic to it. There is no 'use rubber chicken on banana' puzzles, though the logic can be hard to find.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 15, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I enjoyed The Forest at first but as time passes the enemies become progressively more and more powerful until at one point the ground started shaking and a gigantic mutant spawned inside my base and destroyed the entire thing (like tens of hours of work) in a few seconds. I reloaded the save and disabled enemy aggression and just played it as a chill building and exploration simulator from that point on.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The 7th Guest posted:

here are the metroidvanias i've played (either beaten or played partially) that you can find on Steam

Have you posted your favorites anywhere?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

kirbysuperstar posted:

IIRC it runs like buttass in windowed-fullscreen but is alright in exclusive fullscreen

.Ataraxia. posted:

Switch to DX11.

Turns out the sinner was MSAA. Completely throttled everything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

goferchan posted:

The sequel is fantastic. I wouldn't talk anyone out of playing the original first, especially because so many of La-Mulana 2's best surprises come from subverting expectations you have from the first game, but if you wanted to like La-Mulana and found it just a little too obtuse or mechanically just a little too unfriendly, La-Mulana 2 nails the balance without sacrificing any of the mystery or difficulty. There are still some stumpers in there, but the way the game is structured you typically have a few different directions you can go in to progress at once, so if you're stuck on a puzzle or a difficult boss you can usually go do something else instead of just hitting a brick wall.
I've been enjoying it a lot, just with this kinda game I wanna finish it before making a public declaration.

Agent355 posted:

I solved the mantra puzzle without brute forcing it and it's my favorite puzzle. Fite me.

Though I did play with some friends and we'd bounce ideas around, so I wasn't entirely without help and I definitely cheated in other aspects of the game.

Still, I love that every puzzle in La Mulana has a very clear and real logic to it. There is no 'use rubber chicken on banana' puzzles, though the logic can be hard to find.
You figured out the locations where the front and backside wedges line up on the 4x5 grid without needing to spam the proper mantra in every room? Color me impressed.

Regrading the game's puzzles, for the first third or so of the game, I completely agree. Studying everything, connecting the lore to the mechanics, is enough to solve everything. I found the middle third more obtuse, with the hints more spread out, but that's where my note-taking came to the rescue. I definitely had a few lucky breaks, but nothing outlandish for a perceptive player.

The last third though, and sprinkled about here and there in the middle, were a few puzzles that stumped me to the point that learning the answer just made me irritated (as opposed to "Oh, I see!"). By the time I ran into the mantra puzzle, I knew broadly what I was supposed to do, but was too tired to figure it out after running around the ruins for so long, so I brute forced it. Weirdly, my most hated puzzle was a comparatively minor thing: getting the Lamp of Time; ah yes, I must destroy this wall - which is completely impervious to all other forms of damage - with a bomb - which practice has taught me bounces off surfaces, except this time it doesn't. After that, if a puzzle seemed to elude me for too long, I'd look up a hint, and if there's a hint in the game that tells you how to solve that one in particular, I must've missed it.

Still a good game though! Got a lot going for it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I've been enjoying it a lot, just with this kinda game I wanna finish it before making a public declaration.

You figured out the locations where the front and backside wedges line up on the 4x5 grid without needing to spam the proper mantra in every room? Color me impressed.

Yes, the explanation of why it works is You have to drive the nails (use the mantra) at the location opposite the symbols in the front/backside of each area. Think about it like hitting an X on one side of a plank of wood from the backside of the plank. The challenge then becomes figuring out which room is on the other side of the wall from the symbol that you have to drive the nail at.

Then there is a symbol in both the front and back sides that basically tells you 'this is the equivalent room in the other side', it looks a bit like a compass. So you have 1 room that you know lines up on both sides. Then you just have to count out the spaces from that room to the symbol room. E.G. if the wedge is located 1 room east of the compass in the front, you go to the backside, go 1 room east of the compass, and chant the mantra there.

However the world is not bound by normal physics and it wraps both horizontally and vertically and you can learn this both from some ingame lore and the fact that lots of short cuts in the game will go out the left of the map to appear on the ride, or top/bottom. If you're a geometry nerd or w/e you can think of it as the maps all tessalate. So you could place them next to each other and ontop of each other and they'd fit together tightly.

For example you can see how you could copy this and paste it side by side and there would be no gaps or overlaping.

So sometimes you'll see a wedge that is 4 rooms east and 2 north of the compass, and on the backside 4 rooms east and 2 north would put you off the map, but since it wraps you will still count 4 east, 2 north, but when you hit the edge of the map you wrap around. Or if you think of it as a tessalating map you'd just drive the nail on a different tile but still equally relative to the compass!

I no joke think this is the coolest puzzle in the game because it requires understanding ALOT about the game world and it's logic. But these rules apply for all the mantra locations, they aren't about solving a riddle, but are literally an understanding of the physical space of the ruins.

The worst thing about La Mulana and it's sequel is that you can realistically only play it once, but man I wish I could play them again and get that same experience.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The biggest hint to that puzzle is that the manual straight-up tells you the most important part.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Trickyblackjack posted:

I copied this list for future reference come sales time, but which would you say are the ones that you would at least consider as"good and worth your time". I'm only familiar with maybe 1/5 of these titles and I love this genre(s)! Or are there any particular duds to avoid?
My favorites: Environmental Station Alpha, Alwa's Awakening/Legacy, Ori 1, Strider 2014 (while very linear it's super fun to play), Castlevania Advance Collection, and oddly The Mummy Demastered (just another very fun one to play except the dying penalty). And this one isn't really a MV but often gets lumped in with them, but I will always shill for Creepy Castle, a combination of world-exploration and battles with WarioWare mechanics.

Pretty darn good also: Hollow Knight, MindSeize, Grime, Recompile, Guacamelee, Cathedral, Momodora Reverie, After Death, Super Panda Adventures, Castle in the Darkness (Astalon dev's previous game), Kunai, Supraland, Blaster Master Zero series, Rocketron, Lenna's Inception, Unsighted, Infernax, Timespinner

Worth playing for their uniqueness: Vision Soft Reset (Time travel Metroid), A Robot Named Fight (the closest thing to an actual Metroidvania roguelike though it is very derivative with its visuals), Axiom Verge 2 (completely different focus on melee than the original, different setting), Yoku's Island Express (pinball), Visual Out (very strange minimalist cyber aesthetic), Spud's Quest (though janky it's interesting seeing Dizzy adventuring mixed with Wonder Boy-style world, just note the inventory limit)

Not worth playing/bad: Arkham Blackgate HD, The Waste Land, UnEpic, Dark Matter, Aerannis, Momento Temporis, Valdis Story (couldn't stand the jump cancellation on being hit)

While not a Metroidvania you might like Knytt Underground as it is entirely about exploration. Supraland is about 80% exploration 20% combat.

Venuz Patrol posted:

Full Bore is absolutely a metroidvania, it's just one in which learning game mechanics allows you to access new areas, rather than receiving explicit upgrade
I shy away from 'knowledge upgrades' because that opens the genre definition up too much I think. that would include Toki Tori 2+ and Outer Wilds which I'm okay with, but it'd also include just about every other time loop game, and games in which you learn door keycode passwords from post-it notes, and open-world puzzlers like The Witness or Talos Principle or Draknek's games. Also it's been a very long time since I played through Full Bore but did it actually stop you and teach you mechanics or was it just something you figured out as you went along? Because I kind of consider Full Bore to be in the same category as The Witness.

I will say that Chronicles of Teddy has both ability AND knowledge upgrades as you have an instrument that speaks in alien language and you gain both the syllable buttons for the instrument over time (as well as more conventional ability upgrades) as well as learn new words just from talking to people.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 15, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

While not a Metroidvania you might like Knytt Underground as it is entirely about exploration.

also check out Knytt Stories and Within A Deep Forest

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

The 7th Guest posted:

And this one isn't really a MV but often gets lumped in with them, but I will always shill for Creepy Castle, a combination of world-exploration and battles with WarioWare mechanics.

I played this one last week and can vouch for it as well, it's good. Nice how the different chapters all focus on different aspects of the game.

I think Outbuddies DX is a little underrated, too, it's very open in structure, there's a lot of potential for sequence breaks (though you won't necessarily even know you're sequence-breaking). There are a couple of annoying puzzle bosses, the map isn't the best and the fast travel system takes a relatively long time to get online, but I thought it was overall very good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

also check out Knytt Stories and Within A Deep Forest
Knytt Stories is great, it's free, it is a Metroidvania, it's very chill and exploratory, and it has additional fangames that you can access from inside it. It's got those 2000s small-window-size ambient music and adlib sound effect vibes.

Nifflas made the very good $5 game Ynglet last year that is well worth playing if you like 'vibe' games, it's a basic "anti" platformer (not conventional jumping) but the design is good, the length is short and sweet, and the music is soothing

Sway Grunt posted:

I think Outbuddies DX is a little underrated, too, it's very open in structure, there's a lot of potential for sequence breaks (though you won't necessarily even know you're sequence-breaking). There are a couple of annoying puzzle bosses, the map isn't the best and the fast travel system takes a relatively long time to get online, but I thought it was overall very good.
Outbuddies is in my okay but flawed category... I do have some issues with the general flow of exploration and getting around, but I like the "if Metroid was an MS-DOS VGA game but in HD" look. The button binding I am uncomfortable with too, utilizing the robot friend tends to be a bit annoying. Unfortunately it's one of the games my defective deck crashes while playing (every 2-3 minutes even) so I have to wait until after the RMA before I can go deeper with it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 15, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Knytt Stories is very chill.

Agent355 posted:

the explanation of why it works
Okay, that is really cool. I think the part I got hung up on was how to determine the anchor point, by which point I figured solving it normally would take about as much time as simply spamming the mantra in every room.

John Murdoch posted:

The biggest hint to that puzzle is that the manual straight-up tells you the most important part.
I actually thought that was pretty cool, and there were a lot of earlier puzzles I was able to solve thanks to that.

Again, I still mostly like La-Mulana, and I'm really enjoying the sequel, but it definitely comes with certain caveats that make it hard to just recommend to a general audience.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel like Aquaria was much more focused on exploration than combat, but that may just be because the combat was pretty shallow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chaotic evil answer: Outer Wilds is a metroidvania with information instead of items

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Agent355 posted:

I no joke think this is the coolest puzzle in the game because it requires understanding ALOT about the game world and it's logic. But these rules apply for all the mantra locations, they aren't about solving a riddle, but are literally an understanding of the physical space of the ruins.

That is extremely cool. I played the original a loooong time ago on the Wii but even after looking up a solution for that part I'm pretty sure I never really understood the Why until now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

chaotic evil answer: Outer Wilds is a metroidvania with information instead of items

you never unlock new movement/exploration abilities so it's more of a Search Action Game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nah that comes in how you treat your ship over the course of your first playthrough :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Yes, the explanation of why it works is :words:

i was using your LP as a hint guide* when i played it the first time, and the explanation for this blew my goddamn mind at the time

i'm relatively unspoilt on la mulana 2, still on my list of bought-but-unplayed games; thinking i might bump it up the list

* more 'instruction manual' by the end lmao

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I'm already a big fan of Nifflas' games and basically just trying to find more stuff like Knytt Underground. I should really get around to playing Ori. Environmental Station Alpha and Supraland look really cool too.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Which mvania game feels the most like an wrpg? I guess I mean strong character progression over arcade skill if that makes sense at all?

(the only one I ever played is the one where the nerd gets sucked into the world and makes lame gamer jokes. Aside from that I thought the game was pretty fun)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGA style games (like the GBA Castlevanias, which are on Steam as the Castlevania Advance Collection) aren't necessarily WRPG-y but they have weapons, armor, stats, leveling, XP, spells, merchants, and other systems

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chubby Henparty posted:

Which mvania game feels the most like an wrpg? I guess I mean strong character progression over arcade skill if that makes sense at all?

(the only one I ever played is the one where the nerd gets sucked into the world and makes lame gamer jokes. Aside from that I thought the game was pretty fun)

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, for sure. It still has some need to like jump around and avoid attacks, but it's way more about getting better equipment and cooking all the food for permanent buffs. And grinding! So much grinding, for shards and rare materials and weapons.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i was using your LP as a hint guide* when i played it the first time, and the explanation for this blew my goddamn mind at the time

i'm relatively unspoilt on la mulana 2, still on my list of bought-but-unplayed games; thinking i might bump it up the list

* more 'instruction manual' by the end lmao
I didn't know there was a La-Mulana LP.

Time to read it, now that I'm done.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like Aquaria was much more focused on exploration than combat, but that may just be because the combat was pretty shallow.

Also you can mostly just swim past most of the non-setpiece/boss encounters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Trying to get some friends into Elite Dangerous but: what can you actually do as a team? And is it easy to meet up right off the bat or what?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2022

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Mordja posted:

Trying to get some friends into Elite Dangerous but: what can you actually do as a team? And is it easy to meet up right off the gate or what?

Meeting up is annoying and then you can't work effectively as a team.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordja posted:

Trying to get some friends into Elite Dangerous but: what can you actually do as a team? And is it easy to meet up right off the bat or what?

If they were really your friends you wouldn't do that to them

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mordja posted:

you can do all of the same stuff with your friends that you can do by yourself:

- nothing

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mordja posted:

Nothing

I also had this problem when trying to play with friends

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

It's old now, but Within a Deep Forest was very fun with no combat, occasional bad guys, platforming but insta-repsawns, and a very chill atmosphere. Its based around changing the type of ball you are to get different bounce/control/speed properties appropriate for the situation. The dev went on to make Knytt and Knytt Underground which I didn't get into as maybe they where too sprawling for me.

It's also free, so yea.

e:f,b

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Anybody have an issue getting their d-pad to work on their xbox controller?

It's not a problem with the controller or cable or anything, as if i go into the steam settings it will detect d-pad inputs. However many games don't recognize its inputs, which can get pretty awkward in platformers where I'd really prefer the precision of the d-pad compared to the analog stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got bloodstained recently and it's quite good! Just like C:SOTN. I think they give you too many abilities too quickly. They really should have scattered the recipes all around the castle and lowered the shard drop rate. I'd say unless you're sure you're gonna play it twice, start on hard mode. They just give you so many tools to deal with enemies, but there's no reason to use most of them when there's no challenge.

Blasphemous, for me, is the perfect level of challenge. It feels tuned really tight and it's throwbacky, feels like something that would have been released for the Gamecube if devs had never given up the SNES style of platform action games.

Overall it's not my genre so I don't seek em out, FWIW I didn't like hollow knight, and bounced off Metroid samus returns and castlebania mirror of fate recently because Belmont and Samus felt a liiiitle slow and heavy. They'd probably feel good on an emulator if you boosted the clock speed 5-10%? Idk if that's easy to do. I played em on 3DS.