Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

MaoistBanker posted:

Very pleased with the Kings season. No one realistically expected anything other than a mid lottery pick and we took Connor to 7 games.
While without Doughty and Arvidsson.

Still disappointing not being able to close it out while up 3-2 playing in LA. Then I think Kings could have taken Dallas if they get through.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

Sheldon Keefe’s ears have perked up

It's been almost 24 hours, how the gently caress is he still employed?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's been almost 24 hours, how the gently caress is he still employed?

I don’t doubt that Dubas is going to campaign for him hard in end of season discussions, and I’m not sure that if it came down to it Shanahan would have the stones to force the issue.

Now that it’s the next day and I’m significantly more sober I’m really interested to see what this team could do with a different coach. I don’t know for sure that it would push them forward, obviously, but there’s wrinkles in Keefe’s systems that I think are inimical to playing a series. It’s a good team that I think succeeded mostly on talent in the regular season, they’re going to need to tinker around with the roster to work the cap but imo they’re in a good spot if they can do the needful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Goddamn it Penguins.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If that was the last run with this core, thanks for the memories Letang/Malkin/Rust.

Should be an interesting off season I guess.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Sup offseason. Playing almost the whole series with an AHL backup in net will get you here. I'm expecting full on weird for the Pens this offseason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Powershift posted:

There are 12,500 people at the NLL game in Buffalo tonight.

Considerably more than the average Sabres game.

The Bandits are actually good. And they won.

The Rochester Americans game also sold out, 10k+ people. Rochester won, too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

If that was the last run with this core, thanks for the memories Letang/Malkin/Rust.

Should be an interesting off season I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DjHKqb365A

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Pens are going to do really dumb things like promote JD Forrest who coached a team to blow a 4-1 lead in an elimination game, miss the playoffs, and not draft top 10

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

Pens are going to do really dumb things like promote JD Forrest who coached a team to blow a 4-1 lead in an elimination game, miss the playoffs, and not draft top 10

I sincerely think Malkin might be gone at this rate
he was sleepwalking in that series

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hello darkness old friend

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I sincerely think Malkin might be gone at this rate
he was sleepwalking in that series

I'm about 99% convinced he agreed on terms with the KHL months ago

e: we'll probably find out about it within days

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 16, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/bobgrove91/status/1526022527566348289

.Spec posted:

Sup offseason. Playing almost the whole series with an AHL backup in net will get you here. I'm expecting full on weird for the Pens this offseason.

Yeahhhhhhh, but you put the NHL starter in net tonight annnnnnnnnnnnnnd...

Looking forward to years for now when Louis Domingue is still this year's Ron Hainsey, Mark Streit, Mike Johnston, etc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jarry was very clearly still injured and only played because the Pens were desperate not to run Domingue out there again.

Domingue tried his damnedest but boy howdy is he not an NHL goalie. His positioning just made you cringe to watch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know it's a devastating way to lose but you can't complain about pushing the Rangers to the brink with a third string goalie and Sid missing a game and a half. The Islanders losses stank way more than this

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What a dumb sport

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pens were just too beat up, if the core weren’t on its last legs it would be a shrug it off kinda series but I get why this one hurts

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Jarry was very clearly still injured and only played because the Pens were desperate not to run Domingue out there again.

Domingue tried his damnedest but boy howdy is he not an NHL goalie. His positioning just made you cringe to watch.

Jarry played well
I honestly think that was a fine game by all involved, given what we know about their health

There's probably some valid bitching to be done about reffing or whatever but the health just didn't line up and winning a cup is an arcane combination of incredible luck and motivation and whatever else
It's hubris to expect it so frequently. I think this was the best showing the pens have had in probably 4-5 years. I wouldn't change much of anything. Keep who you can, try again and hope for the best. Make better what you can

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I know it's a devastating way to lose but you can't complain about pushing the Rangers to the brink with a third string goalie and Sid missing a game and a half. The Islanders losses stank way more than this

I agree in principle but the Crosby headshot just pissed all over everything about this series for me.

Koopa Kid posted:

Pens were just too beat up, if the core weren’t on its last legs it would be a shrug it off kinda series but I get why this one hurts

Yeah, they would have gotten crushed by Carolina anyway. As the Rangers also probably will be.

I honestly am not that worked up about it, I don't like to see the Penguins lose and especially not like that but I do have two Cups to cry into. It's funny as hell watching RAS crow like they just won the Cup when their team only avoided an ignominious 5-game defeat to a team with no goalie because of a fortuitously timed cheapshot to knock Crosby out.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 16, 2022

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I loving hate refs. Extremely obvious board isn't called, Son gets away with an incredible elbow then theatrics a sending off, and apparently straight headlocking a player so they absolutely have to leave the ice and benefitting from that just gently caress the Rangers. gently caress the refs. gently caress the NHL. This is loving dogshit pedestrian bullshit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ginette Reno posted:

This is a rational way of looking at it.

Koopa Kid posted:

I realized part-way through this series that part of the reason I was pulling for Pittsburgh was it could be the end of something I witnessed which was something special, much like the end of the Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Holmstrom/Franzen Wings era.

And drat, even though I hated the gently caress out of the 2016 and 2017 Cups, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2009 Cup.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also if cheating wins then explain Tavares’ goal being called off it’s also because refs are bad, refs are always bad

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I agree in principle but the Crosby headshot just pissed all over everything about this series for me.

Yeah, they would have gotten crushed by Carolina anyway. As the Rangers also probably will be.

It sucks but whatever. Would they have beaten Carolina anyways? I kinda doubt it. Canes are so young and now rested too.

In terms off season moves...man I don't even know. Depends what Malkin and Letang wanna do I guess. Rust is probably gone regardless. That Carter contract is brutal and is only gonna look worse next year. I don't even want to imagine this defense without Letang either.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mcmagic posted:

Goddamn it Penguins.

When one team gets to blatantly cheat and the other doesn't well turns out that creates an imbalance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I love you but go home rex, you're drunk :yotj:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

And drat, even though I hated the gently caress out of the 2016 and 2017 Cups, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2009 Cup.

Yeah that was an awesome series

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

It sucks but whatever. Would they have beaten Carolina anyways? I kinda doubt it. Canes are so young and now rested too.

In terms off season moves...man I don't even know. Depends what Malkin and Letang wanna do I guess. Rust is probably gone regardless. That Carter contract is brutal and is only gonna look worse next year. I don't even want to imagine this defense without Letang either.

I think they'll be ok without Malkin who isn't that great a player anymore now that he's possibly the worst defensive forward in the league. But if Letang walks then they are hosed and blowing it up right now and going into Suck Hard For Bedard is the only play. If Letang re-signs, sure, run it back and be fun for one more year.

My nightmare fear continues to be that they will let Letang walk and sign Tony D to replace him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm still waiting for a 30 for 30 someday where Drunk Tim Peel reveals some seriously egregious dirt on NHL officiating/the league as a whole, like "Yeahhhhhhh, there was a directive that we were to help (team) get through, I'm surprised you're surprised at this. Gary Bettman's a good guy, gimmeanothershot".

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Yes. The Penguins are exceptional at creating high danger opportunities. Carolina isn't great at getting saves in those situations. Had Pittsburgh not been utterly hosed over I do legit think this team could have competed. Idk what Sullivan is going to say but I really hope he swings for the fences. He won't. But I wish he would.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The pens should craft Crosby a personalized helmet with a 3 foot diameter that totally cushions his brain.

Also the fans like big head mode, it'd be a fun unlockable for a great career.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

A speedy "scoring" winger in the name of Kasperi Kapanen is available for all parties interested this summer :cloudnine:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think they'll be ok without Malkin who isn't that great a player anymore now that he's possibly the worst defensive forward in the league. But if Letang walks then they are hosed and blowing it up right now and going into Suck Hard For Bedard is the only play. If Letang re-signs, sure, run it back and be fun for one more year.

My nightmare fear continues to be that they will let Letang walk and sign Tony D to replace him.

I kinda feel like they will sign Malkin and that Letang will get his 5 year deal from someone else but I dunno. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. New ownership group, and Hextall and Malkin/Letang were supposedly far apart when they talked.

I've heard nothing about Rust which suggests to me that he's gone for sure. Detroit or someone will probably throw him a huge deal.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yes. The Penguins are exceptional at creating high danger opportunities. Carolina isn't great at getting saves in those situations. Had Pittsburgh not been utterly hosed over I do legit think this team could have competed. Idk what Sullivan is going to say but I really hope he swings for the fences. He won't. But I wish he would.

Maybe. And they do well against Tampa/Florida too so definitely sucks. What are ya gonna do. Not the first heartbreaking loss they've had, won't be the last. Well...maybe the last for this core :(

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The pens should craft Crosby a personalized helmet with a 3 foot diameter that totally cushions his brain.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

A funny thought but it wouldn't actually help much, the concussion happens from the brain banging against the skull not the helmet.\

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda feel like they will sign Malkin and that Letang will get his 5 year deal from someone else but I dunno. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. New ownership group, and Hextall and Malkin/Letang were supposedly far apart when they talked.

Man if they do that they'll end up in the Bedard sweepstakes without even trying.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

They need Letang. Sid needs to be nearly 100%. Malkin can be replaced via committee IMO, but it was stick or twist this season. This core should be done though. Get in the tank. gently caress it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Carver posted:

A speedy "scoring" winger in the name of Kasperi Kapanen is available for all parties interested this summer :cloudnine:

I hate him so much and he sucks rear end.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly I think Letang and Malkin are both gone. If they were going to re-sign they would have by now. And Malkin in particular appears to be 100% over Sullivan's bullshit.

Agreed that Rust is gone too and is going to sign for way too long a term with some random team like Detroit or Columbus or Anaheim. E-Rod, probably the same, though I wouldn't be shocked if the Pens overpaid him.

I began to entertain a sneaky suspicion that Crosby may retire before his latest hotbrain happened. The suspicion is still there and slightly less sneaky.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 16, 2022

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Pens traded away all their futures for garbage by holding on to JR too long and now they are going to have no one going forward because of who is left. That Matheson boat anchor of a contract isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

The Pens traded away all their futures for garbage by holding on to JR too long and now they are going to have no one going forward because of who is left. That Matheson boat anchor of a contract isn't going anywhere any time soon.

GMs are probably rock hard for Matheson. If he was put on the market he could be flipped for picks in a heartbeat.

It's just a matter of if Hextall knows enough to get him the hell out because good god that series was partially lost on his skates

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They need Letang. Sid needs to be nearly 100%. Malkin can be replaced via committee IMO, but it was stick or twist this season. This core should be done though. Get in the tank. gently caress it.

I'm not really eager to rush into the tank while Sid still looks this good. They won't be bad enough to get Bedard even if they let everyone go. Sid and Guentzel alone would keep them out of the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I am just now looking at this Jeff Carter thing on capfriendly

WHen did this happen, who authorized this. what the hell kind of contract is that