Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Metro fans can finally rejoice, the Crosby and Ovechkin eras have ended

Not you, Philly fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Jarry's also going into his contract year, so they need to carve out $6M or so of cap space for him in the near future if they want to keep him.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not really eager to rush into the tank while Sid still looks this good. They won't be bad enough to get Bedard even if they let everyone go. Sid and Guentzel alone would keep them out of the basement.

Well, if everyone walks and Sid takes a year offretires they're the worst team in the league. But that only gets you what, like a 20% shot at Bedard. Not really worth chasing if continuing to be a fringe playoff team is an option IMO.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carver posted:

I am just now looking at this Jeff Carter thing on capfriendly

WHen did this happen, who authorized this. what the hell kind of contract is that

He was on pace for like a 30 goal season when h signed.
Which is still stupid and short sighted but I guess there was at least a gamble associated with it at that point

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

WHen did this happen, who authorized this. what the hell kind of contract is that

They not only did that but did it instead of signing McCann. Double oof

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I for one, am happy to see the Pittsburgh Penguins here, and hope to see you here earlier in the years to come.

In the end it doesn’t matter, Carolina was gonna wipe the floor whether it’s Penguins or Rangers. Which is good , because both teams can go gently caress themselves.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

e: I'm bad at reading

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Carver posted:

Hextall and before the deadline. Not stoked on it. Tbh I think it means Geno is donezo and Carter exists as a cheap 3c while Ron tries to find a 2c.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It probably means Pens management knew Geno wasn't coming back a long time ago. I think I brought this up on the day the Carter extension was signed.

I think Blueger might be a fine 2C with decent wingers but that might be a reach.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

They not only did that but did it instead of signing McCann. Double oof

McGinn is signed for 3 more years? You mean Heinen?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MikeDeFabo/status/1526027232333991937?s=20&t=d70WEkQWXzmilxXZXlAOyw

Thought he played pretty well. Better I think than Louis would have. He made some big saves on some of those pks.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Jared McCann. They protected Carter instead of him. Could have kept McCann and extended him.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It probably means Pens management knew Geno wasn't coming back a long time ago. I think I brought this up on the day the Carter extension was signed.

I think Blueger might be a fine 2C with decent wingers but that might be a reach.

Great bottom 6er imo please no at 2c.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think it's near 100% they keep Matheson, trade Pettersson, and look to acquire a cheap LD.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

McCann not McGinn, lol.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Rip reading. Pitt kept Kapanen over McCann not. Carter

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm OK with keeping and extending Kapanen if it's part of a tanking strategy.

And I mean imagine a world where your top defensive pairing is Matheson/Marino. In that world you're tanking whether you admit it to yourself or not.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If Geno walks, god speed to him. He gave his best years to a franchise content to give him the leftovers and spun gold out of them.

At this point I would understand if somewhere wants to give him the #1 treatment with some star wingers

Or if he's ready to do the Datsyuk thing and play at home, all the better.

Either way, #71 is his and it will hang in the rafters as soon as he calls it a career

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm OK with keeping and extending Kapanen if it's part of a tanking strategy.

And I mean imagine a world where your top defensive pairing is Matheson/Marino. In that world you're tanking whether you admit it to yourself or not.

It depends what they decide to do with the cap space. If for some reason they aren't able/willing to sign their free agents you'd think they use that money elsewhere. Not like they're gonna just let 21 million in cap space go unused.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Malkin could go from a team about to implode to an entire league about to implode

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1526032309358673920

this is the only acceptable answer for where they play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs60EZHL384

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Alizee posted:

Leafs shouldn't blow up the team. They looked good against the back to back cup champs that look good enough to win again.

Hockey is really loving random. The leafs are cursed. The players are really good and noticeably improved this season. There is nothing to gain by replacing anyone except the fringe and maybe the coach. Although Toronto for the most part was a great team all around this year.

This loss sucks and in the context of team history makes it insane and makes blowing things up seem like the right decision emotionally, but the issues of past teams were not present this year. It was just a tough draw and a close series.

Also I love all the players and they all had personal best years and are top players in the league. Also Kyle Dubas is a good general manager. They could use a different coach though I think.

What has Dubas done to prove he's a good general manager aside from not trading away the Leafs best players???

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What has Dubas done to prove he's a good general manager aside from not trading away the Leafs best players???

He acquired a bunch of players that played on the Soo Greyhounds for him and they’ve ranged from not bad to good.

Don’t ask about most of the rest of the players he’s signed or drafted though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Did any of the Wings posters here realize that our legendary Swedes were all going by their middle names? I never knew this, and my mind is blown.

Erik Lidstrom, Carl Zetterberg, Hans Kronwall.

Wild stuff.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I was astonished to learn today that Lidstrom never missed the playoffs in his entire 20-year career

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Sup.

It was fun while it lasted but it's officially over.

Really only thing that pisses me off are all the blown leads (in each game and the series overall).

No killer instinct does you in.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Did any of the Wings posters here realize that our legendary Swedes were all going by their middle names? I never knew this, and my mind is blown.

Wild stuff.

Apparently this is a common thing? To the point that when full names are spelled out they indicate which given name is the one they’re called by with an asterisk?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_name

This is a good an opportunity to share William Nylander’s full name which is:

William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Koopa Kid posted:

Apparently this is a common thing? To the point that when full names are spelled out they indicate which given name is the one they’re called by with an asterisk?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_name

This is a good an opportunity to share William Nylander’s full name which is:

William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius

I did not know either of these two things! Especially the asterisk thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So OEL is actually OOEEL

I'm also a little upset that Erik Karlsson doesn't go by Gunnar.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If Jim Nill is still GM for the Dallas Stars in 2023 I'm just gonna stop watching for a while

1 step forward, 3 steps back when it comes to team building is not a recipe for any kind of success.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Crosby playing with Ovie for Dynamo Moscow during the lock out would have been rad as gently caress. They would have torched that whole league. Still bummed it didn't happen.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Stars are kind of locked into being mediocre at best (and probably worse than that) for the next few seasons while Benn and Seguin's contracts bleed off and some of their hyped prospects make the league..

Believe it or not the Stars have stumbled into finding some elite offensive talents of the future in the last couple drafts.. guys that have destroyed the Canadian juniors in scoring at a young age. I think it's kind of serendipitous that the team will have all these anchor contracts expiring 3 years from now (Benn, Lindell, Suter, Faksa.. thanks Nill). The aim should be on competing for a Cup 4 seasons out from now and you do whatever you need to do to rebuild the team in the meantime.

Unfortunately we can't pull the chute on these contracts because they are all virtually buyout proof, but they can start down the right path by giving the youth in this organization the reps to get established in this year for once.. stop signing veterans, start building the team around the young talent.

I am cognizant that this is like sending up a prayer that Putin and the US will come together to achieve world peace tomorrow, but whatever the first night of the offseason is a good time to dream.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

Stars are kind of locked into being mediocre at best (and probably worse than that) for the next few seasons while Benn and Seguin's contracts bleed off and some of their hyped prospects make the league..

Believe it or not the Stars have stumbled into finding some elite offensive talents of the future in the last couple drafts.. guys that have destroyed the Canadian juniors in scoring at a young age. I think it's kind of serendipitous that the team will have all these anchor contracts expiring 3 years from now (Benn, Lindell, Suter, Faksa.. thanks Nill). The aim should be on competing for a Cup 4 seasons out from now and you do whatever you need to do to rebuild the team in the meantime.

Unfortunately we can't pull the chute on these contracts because they are all virtually buyout proof, but they can start down the right path by giving the youth in this organization the reps to get established in this year for once.. stop signing veterans, start building the team around the young talent.

I am cognizant that this is like sending up a prayer that Putin and the US will come together to achieve world peace tomorrow, but whatever the first night of the offseason is a good time to dream.

the Central is in a weird place. I feel like the teams are in three groups:

Contenders: Colorado, St. Louis

will feel compelled to go for it for the next few years or are at least pot committed due to bad contracts/roster, even if they shouldn't: Minnesota (though I think they will remain the best of this bunch)/Winnipeg/Dallas/Chicago/Nashville

Arizona lol

Should be a fun couple of years, then who knows. in four years I think the team that bites the bullet and commits to a rebuild will be in the best shape. I think the only ones who might do that are Nashville. I think they might regress hard next year without resurgences from Duchene/Johansen, losing Forsberg, Saros not carrying, and Josi not going insane. I would start it off this offseason IMO.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

So OEL is actually OOEEL

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oettinger should get paid

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jesus Christ, Stars, you couldn't win for Oettinger after he made 64 saves?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

AsInHowe posted:

Wild stuff.

Lars Nicklas Bäckström, too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Metro fans can finally rejoice, the Crosby and Ovechkin eras have ended

Not you, Philly fans

Arguably they ended in 2018. Neither has won a playoff series since.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Not sure what else Crosby still has to play for (record or milestone wise), but the Ovechkin era doesn’t end till he surpasses Gretzky or retires due to injury.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Not sure what else Crosby still has to play for (record or milestone wise), but the Ovechkin era doesn’t end till he surpasses Gretzky or retires due to injury.

I think the point from the recent Jon Bois/dude from Chapo series on Dave Stieb applies: you'd give up all the records to just play another day*. Crosby's a shoo-in for the HHOF, but he's keeping going just because he wants to never stop as long as he can. Hopefully Game 6 wasn't the end to that.

*I think the only counter example to this I can think of is Jagr, who as far as I know from recent coverage is completely done and really just wants off but he can't or his team folds.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Jesus Christ, Stars, you couldn't win for Oettinger after he made 64 saves?

What score goals? What if I told you we could get another VETERAN player who scores 20 goals a year? Sure they're slow, but if we act now we can only overpay a little.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FunOne posted:

What score goals? What if I told you we could get another VETERAN player who scores 20 goals a year? Sure they're slow, but if we act now we can only overpay a little.

would you like one (1) john tavares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

I think the point from the recent Jon Bois/dude from Chapo series on Dave Stieb applies: you'd give up all the records to just play another day*. Crosby's a shoo-in for the HHOF, but he's keeping going just because he wants to never stop as long as he can. Hopefully Game 6 wasn't the end to that.

*I think the only counter example to this I can think of is Jagr, who as far as I know from recent coverage is completely done and really just wants off but he can't or his team folds.

Crosby has three more years on his deal after this. I think he'll play those out at least. After that, who knows.