Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd also guess English sources probably think Comic Yuri Hime is seinen cause it had more male readers briefly during Yuru Yuri's anime airing or something dumb like that

Also outside of like Jump and Nakayoshi the target audience of magazine is way more blurred especially with internet distribution taking over

As for the noralites video it also made the mistake of going Sailor Moon, Utena, CCS and than Madoka skipping over a few shows that kinda of also moved the needle before Madoka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh it's a lot more than a history gap, it's missing that magical girls for actual kids and magical girls for late-night adult audiences are related but basically wholly divergent things, with the decline in raw number of the former not really having anything to do with madoka being popular. it's like the isekai thing where the rise of reincarnation fantasy as the dominant narou template gets framed as somehow displacing 70s-90s shows about very alive kids getting zapped over to fantasy lands to save them.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 16, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah its like the articles saying magical girls have changed ignoring that Precure and Pretty Rhythm have been going for the past decade and even Late Night Magical girls haven't been all dark and suffering too...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Unlike other mecha anime, this one focuses on the humans

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Motto posted:

tbh it's a lot more than a history gap, it's missing that magical girls for actual kids and magical girls for late-night adult audiences are related but basically wholly divergent things, with the decline in raw number of the former not really having anything to do with madoka being popular. it's like the isekai thing where the rise of reincarnation fantasy as the dominant narou template gets framed as somehow displacing 70s-90s shows about very alive kids getting zapped over to fantasy lands to save them.

As somebody who watches barely any new anime, learning about isekai was so confusing because everybody talked about it like it was a new thing but it just sounded like Fushigi Yuugi or Inuyasah to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's some stylistic and thematic differences between old isekai and modern. but also i dont think most of the people upset about it have actually watched dunbine or rayearth

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm kinda of curious as to why shojo isekai dryed up in the 00's and switched over to just straight fantasy. Did the 80's and 90's stuff just burn out the audience so new series went straight fantasy or is there some other reason

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm kinda of curious as to why shojo isekai dryed up in the 00's and switched over to just straight fantasy. Did the 80's and 90's stuff just burn out the audience so new series went straight fantasy or is there some other reason

Usually with stuff like that it's Burn Out. The writers of the popular books finish up their series or just cancel them once they get too long and they're no longer selling well. I don't have access to sales numbers from the 00's but like any entertainment industry it's cyclical, like how Mecha anime wax and wane and Slice of Life gets popular and then dies off when the gimmicks get stale.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

there's some stylistic and thematic differences between old isekai and modern. but also i dont think most of the people upset about it have actually watched dunbine or rayearth
yeah but theres also the opposite group that all they want to do is inform you that mark twains a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court is an isekai

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The New Testament is an isekai because Jesus came to Earth from Heaven

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does Metroid and Kingdom Hearts count as an Isekai since you go to other planets?

If yes, then the Sci-Fi genre was also an Isekai series this whole time. If no, then Sonic and the Black Knight is an Isekai.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no but the episode of crest of the stars where they crash land on the planet that's racist against space elves and lafiel has to dye her hair and hide her pointy ears, and spends most of the arc sitting in her hotel grumpily reading magazines, i'm willing to concede might be an isekai

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yu Watase is still doing spinoffs of Fushigi Yuugi. Very good ones I hear, but they never get anime adaptations. I guess that could be proof of what you're talking about.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

homeless snail posted:

no but the episode of crest of the stars where they crash land on the planet that's racist against space elves and lafiel has to dye her hair and hide her pointy ears, and spends most of the arc sitting in her hotel grumpily reading magazines, i'm willing to concede might be an isekai

The planet isn’t racist against the Abh. The United Empire of Mankind took over the planet and they were the racist ones who want to kill Abh, so she has to hide her hair so they don’t get found out from the military. Give the people native to that planet some credit because all of those people help Lafier and Jinto out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

at least you didn't dispute she grumpily read her magazines

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

As somebody who watches barely any new anime, learning about isekai was so confusing because everybody talked about it like it was a new thing but it just sounded like Fushigi Yuugi or Inuyasah to me.

“Isekai” makes me feel old and crotchety because it’s like one of the oldest modern genres of fiction even ignoring the GOAT A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court there’s stuff like The Time Machine and The Sleeper Wakes that are basically just that. It just seems like such a broad genre that it seems easier to just call them fantasy/comedy/slice of live.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

it was weirdly dismissive of yuri, saying most of it was either 'murder lesbians' or 'purity lesbians' (she kept pointing at and framing the editing around Bloom into You as a latter example as well?? and grouping it with stuff like girls bravo) and that most yuri anime is "seinen" and made by dudes (ignoring the original manga authors) so she's not interested in yuri in general. and then she spent the last 10 minutes complaining about how the writer of madoka magica said "probably" rather than "yes" to a question about madoka and hamura being in love, in an interview that was doubly translated from japanese to german to english

i don't understand basically any of what you're talking about but framing anybody from Bloom Into You as a representation of 'purity' is pretty hilarious considering most of the cast is explicitly pretty seriously broken.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the main characters smash without being married at the end which is kind of complicated considering they're women but would probably be regarded as an impure action in probably any traditional religion or morality system you care to name, so i don't think im just lacking context on that part. i think.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pissekai.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

“Isekai” makes me feel old and crotchety because it’s like one of the oldest modern genres of fiction even ignoring the GOAT A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court there’s stuff like The Time Machine and The Sleeper Wakes that are basically just that. It just seems like such a broad genre that it seems easier to just call them fantasy/comedy/slice of live.

Most modern isekai is just "video game, BUT REAL" and loses a lot of the wonder and charm of stories that depend on actual characters and plot as opposed to creative ways to make number go up.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

isekai makes sense because 90% of the time its referring to a specific period style of novel, and the boom of anime based on them. im not sure people who like SAO or whatever are going around thinking that mushoku tensei invented the idea, so I've never understood the desire to point out how historical the concept is.

its like going hearing someone talking about law and order as a police procedural and going "well listen, back in the 1880s," trends in fiction tend to have broad names while theyre still occuring, and once the boom is behind us, the culture tends to assign more specific names to them. 80s action movies are a distinct genre, but were just action movies in the 80s

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Generally when Isekai's/another world fantasies started really doesn't matter but if your trying to do any crit or look at the work ignoring the past undermines your point a lot even if the current modern boom really has little to do with past works

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

This zombie movie focuses on the survivors and who is the real monster

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Varinn posted:

isekai makes sense because 90% of the time its referring to a specific period style of novel, and the boom of anime based on them. im not sure people who like SAO or whatever are going around thinking that mushoku tensei invented the idea, so I've never understood the desire to point out how historical the concept is.

its like going hearing someone talking about law and order as a police procedural and going "well listen, back in the 1880s," trends in fiction tend to have broad names while theyre still occuring, and once the boom is behind us, the culture tends to assign more specific names to them. 80s action movies are a distinct genre, but were just action movies in the 80s

I would argue that at this point even the "isekai' itself is vestigial, and it's just a modern genre of fantasy where the fantasy world resembles a video game for no particular reason. This is what makes it distinct from older isekai works where the protagonists being outsiders was actually very important to the plot or themes.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

I would argue that at this point even the "isekai' itself is vestigial, and it's just a modern genre of fantasy where the fantasy world resembles a video game for no particular reason. This is what makes it distinct from older isekai works where the protagonists being outsiders was actually very important to the plot or themes.

That can't be true because then it would exclude my favorite Isekai, Army of Darkness.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

The 7th Guest posted:

it was weirdly dismissive of yuri, saying most of it was either 'murder lesbians' or 'purity lesbians' (she kept pointing at and framing the editing around Bloom into You as a latter example as well?? and grouping it with stuff like girls bravo) and that most yuri anime is "seinen" and made by dudes (ignoring the original manga authors) so she's not interested in yuri in general. and then she spent the last 10 minutes complaining about how the writer of madoka magica said "probably" rather than "yes" to a question about madoka and hamura being in love, in an interview that was doubly translated from japanese to german to english
This kinda stuff is frustrating, I've noticed some folks lately making this unquestioned mental jump from "in a publication ostensibly marketed for men" to "by men for men totally blithe to queer interests" in a way that completely deletes women's agency in the field when in reality most approaches/patterns seinen publications use regarding queer themes can be directly traced back to women's yuri/doujin works. Kirara Carat has been all but taken over by yuri artists at this point. You can't really talk about queerness in madoka magica without talking about hidamari sketch and you can't talk about that without talking about Aoki Ume's roots in the doujin scene

There's a fascinating history to all of this stuff but I think really engaging with it requires actively wrestling with subconscious attitudes about japan being socially "backwards" and that's pretty tough

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't believe an anime YouTube video was superficial and poorly researched

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
japan is backwards as gently caress but so is the entire first world and hell probably the entire planet really. meanwhile i am an enlightened god gamer. uphold the eightfold path of the Xbox dpad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't believe an anime YouTube video was superficial and poorly researched

I'm not surprised tbh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Finished rewatching all of the Urusei Yatsura movies. I'm now ready for the new anime to be decent but underwhelming. Yeah!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

i am an enlightened god gamer

i am not alone..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh word?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1526201993353736197?s=20&t=JV6sjrU0Q_hXmVM62PWQMw

Oh right, this exists!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Was the Blade Runner show any good?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems fine if you like Blade Runner. I think the movies are good, but I wouldn't particularly call myself a fan of the franchise, so it didn't really do much for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terry van Feleday posted:

This kinda stuff is frustrating, I've noticed some folks lately making this unquestioned mental jump from "in a publication ostensibly marketed for men" to "by men for men totally blithe to queer interests" in a way that completely deletes women's agency in the field when in reality most approaches/patterns seinen publications use regarding queer themes can be directly traced back to women's yuri/doujin works. Kirara Carat has been all but taken over by yuri artists at this point. You can't really talk about queerness in madoka magica without talking about hidamari sketch and you can't talk about that without talking about Aoki Ume's roots in the doujin scene

There's a fascinating history to all of this stuff but I think really engaging with it requires actively wrestling with subconscious attitudes about japan being socially "backwards" and that's pretty tough

i once saw someone doing a youtube video about their dislike of vlad love compared to other yuri anime, that i generally agreed with in it not being a very interesting core relationship and them not really making a lot of funny jokes around the main two in particular, and then at the end it randomly segued into talking about class s and how class s casts a pall over all lesbian stuff in japanese art and media and makes us question if whether any of this is really gay.

and one of their examples they showed in video footage while talking about it was. the lesbian azumanga daioh girl who is specifically famous for having a gag in the anniversary chapters where she gets pressed on whether she's gay and says "the correct term is lesbian. NOT THAT I'M A LESBIAN." and then goes on to explicitly, without any room for doubt whatsoever, say that she's romantically interested in sakaki. one of their other examples was citrus.

at this point i'm convinced that doing youtube videos about niche stuff in anime casts some kind of mind curse that makes you incapable of discussing stuff on a more nuanced level with an actual understanding of what you're saying

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 16, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It feels like a lot of people keep internalizing the idea that Japan is entirely backwards when it comes to queer stuff and that gay people don't exist there, whether they think that's positive or negative.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

surf rock posted:

How do you feel about the third season of Ghost in the Shell SAC? Or how do you feel about Shini Aramaki CGI anime in general?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

surf rock posted:

Eh. There were some decent bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Arc Hammer posted:

How do you feel about the third season of Ghost in the Shell SAC? Or how do you feel about Shini Aramaki CGI anime in general?

Haven't seen it yet! I got good advice last year about the Ghost in the Shell shows and which hones to watch/avoid, but haven't gotten to it yet.

In general, though, I dislike the look of CGI anime.