Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I thought blasphemous was a drat bummer. It’s a beautiful game, but I don’t know that the parry-focused style of combat is very interesting in a 2D game. It felt so slow that I kept dying because I just took risks because I wanted to speed up the combat a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mordja posted:

Trying to get some friends into Elite Dangerous but: what can you actually do as a team? And is it easy to meet up right off the bat or what?

There are relatively few things you can actually do as a group.

If you all have kitted up combat ships you could grind shooty quests together. Everyone in the party gets a credit reward when someone turns in a "kill 8 pirates" quest or whatever so if you get 3 people together in a party/"wing" you get 3x the rewards. If you have a big ship with a fighter hangar you can also have them join by "teleprescence" and control your ship-launched fighters.

Other than that I guess you could group up to gank other players in pvp?

Most of the pve content (mining, exploring, trading, space trucking...) has little reason to group up afaik.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yakuza 4

Honestly, this is the one to skip. I know people try to say that about Kiwami 1 but this is genuinely a bad game from top to bottom.

For starters, there's 4 different playable characters you cycle through, each with their own combat style you have to learn, and it honestly seems like they didn't even bother trying to balance the combat beyond the first character you play as. Combat in these games was never it's strength beyond Yak 0, but it fails in a lot of ways here that it hadn't before.

The first character, Akiyama, has a standard weak-strong combo tree and you'll want to do heat attacks when you can for more damage. Nothing too bad there aside from his main trait being that he does more damage when drunk, so you need to constantly be drunk.

The next character Saejima is where the starts falling apart and where either I didn't engage with the combat mechanics enough, or the timing and inability of the game to let you accurately target enemies with the focus button was bad enough that it's not my fault. His big combat thing is being slow and heavy, so something as simple as swinging a sword is done in slow, massive cleaving strokes that constantly fall to hit people directly in front of you. You're also supposed to charge up your heavy attack, but based on literally every time I tried to use it on a boss 90% of the time they will block it as they instantly recover from the previous combo hits.

After him it's forgettable cop guy, who's supposed to be more martial arts, but the same problem with the parry ability is that you deflect the enemy attack and stumble them, but again the delay between the stumble and your ability to attack results in enemies easily able to guard against any subsequent attacks, so it's extremely useless in the one on one boss fights when a sidestep dodge allows you to at least get some hits in.

Kiryu is the last person, and plays like he did in Yakuza 3, so no problems there until the end when you get to boss fights that are so unbalanced they make Elden Ring look newbie friendly.

So, combat is absolute trash, having come off the entire franchise up to this point, it was not only terrible but insanely frustrating in that enemies are constantly stunning you, bosses getting constant heat modes, and a lack of effective heat actions for most characters (unless you grind up all their exp and combat missions) to do heat damage to anything other then a downed enemy. Oh, and for some reason they decided to make several boss encounters just fighting the same person over and over again.

The story is decent but wildly dumb, and every character is holding the idiot ball at all times. The entire plot, and this isn't an exaggeration, is based on two major "secrets"

- the moron who keeps $1 billion USD in a unlocked vault in his office because he doesn't trust banks
- characters given rubber bullets unknowingly and shooting people later shocked when they weren't dead

That's it, from start to finish those two things are the entire reason everything happens. It's the typical super heavy drama only this time you will start to get real bored by the 5th time someone is suddenly shot from off screen after getting ready to spill secrets, or a character asks a straight forward question and the response is "guess you have to fight me if you want to know". No one in this game is capable of basic human communication if there is an option to punch in the face of the person asking.

The rest of the game, all the nice side quests and little distractions, they exist and I guess if you weren't playing all the Yakuza games in the course of a few years it would be engaging to try them all. The side quests were pretty bad or boring, and after trying to do all of Akiyama's quests I never bothered with doing any more of them. Maybe I missed out, but going back to the combat being so bad it was a impediment to having fun I don't really care.

Seriously, if you want to play this series from start to finish, this one for sure is not worth it beyond easy mode, or some mod that trivializes the combat.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 16, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yakuza 0 was great but I couldn't get into any other Yakuza games because Majima isn't playable in any of them and Kiryu is less interesting than a bread-on-bread sandwich.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 16, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

pentyne posted:

The next character Saejima is where the starts falling apart and where either I didn't engage with the combat mechanics enough, or the timing and inability of the game to let you accurately target enemies with the focus button was bad enough that it's not my fault. His big combat thing is being slow and heavy, so something as simple as swinging a sword is done in slow, massive cleaving strokes that constantly fall to hit people directly in front of you. You're also supposed to charge up your heavy attack, but based on literally every time I tried to use it on a boss 90% of the time they will block it as they instantly recover from the previous combo hits.

Eh. Here I found Saejima to be the absolute most brain-dead easy-mode in the entire series. His chain of auto attacks does a ton of damage to multiple foes, and at some point you get a trait making you immune to cc as long as you have some degree of heat bar, so you keep the heat up and you just wreck everything.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see what you think of 5 the day you decide to keep going. I loved 4 personally, but 5 is (a lot) more of it, better, and probably my series favourite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

4 is probably the "worst" Yakuza game I've played. Meaning I still really enjoyed it, but man did it fumble the ball in some key parts. 5 is just fantastic, it feels like they learned all the important lessons from where they hosed up in 4, and used it to create what was basically the apex of the pre-Dragon Engine Yakuza games. It's probably my favorite next to Zero (maybe Kiwami 2 as well) though I have yet to play 6 or Like a Dragon.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saejima feels a lot better to play in 5 than in 4. Mostly because he has much more super armor in his attacks, has a giant health bar, his attacks charge up quicker and he hits like a truck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Saejima's story in 5.

Saejima beats up a bear with his bare hands, it takes off when a hunter shows up.
Hunter: Lucky I showed up, that bear is invincible and you'd die if you tried to fight it with your bare hands.
Saejima: Teach me how to be a great hunter too!
Later, after being trained how to be a great hunter too, Saejima...... beats up the bear with his bare hands again.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

pentyne posted:

Yakuza 4

Honestly, this is the one to skip. I know people try to say that about Kiwami 1 but this is genuinely a bad game from top to bottom.

My advice to you is to play as much as you can stand of Yakuza 5 and quit when it gets annoying. It's much better but the stuff that annoyed you in Yakuza 4 are still there in various guises.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, for sure. It still has some need to like jump around and avoid attacks, but it's way more about getting better equipment and cooking all the food for permanent buffs. And grinding! So much grinding, for shards and rare materials and weapons.

While I generally quite enjoyed Bloodstained, I unfortunately only realised after I beat it that the game actually has some decent mods that can do things like increase the drop rates and alleviate the grind. My other big issue were the Street Fighter-style inputs for the weapon specials, which I could never pull off when it mattered, and there's a mod to replace them with something really simple. I would've tried a bigger variety of weapons if I'd known.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Who wants some crap?

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
2WYA3-RBTHM-IL2K7

Sudden Strike 4
3A8GC-WI0BM-HCEAF

Commandos 2 - HD Remaster
3EK53-9E8CE-NDX83

Dungeons 3
2X8TB-IEEEW-L3WTH

Tropico 5
3A37X-B6CL0-AB70C

Tropico 6
3RG8L-JQCE8-JM33B

Railway Empire
3FCB2-B4LI6-AT9E9

Spacebase Startopia
2YCYG-TDX5B-BCBBC

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Grabbed Commandos 2 for a nostalgia trip, thanks!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whelp, they're all gone. Thanks for posting anyways man, good of ya.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Trickyblackjack posted:

While I generally quite enjoyed Bloodstained, I unfortunately only realised after I beat it that the game actually has some decent mods that can do things like increase the drop rates and alleviate the grind. My other big issue were the Street Fighter-style inputs for the weapon specials, which I could never pull off when it mattered, and there's a mod to replace them with something really simple. I would've tried a bigger variety of weapons if I'd known.

Well dang, thank you for the heads up though because I wouldn't have guessed there were mods for it myself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This game itself isn’t at all for me but this is one of the better video game trailers I’ve seen in awhile.

https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1526185742690664449

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They did the meme.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anno posted:

This game itself isn’t at all for me but this is one of the better video game trailers I’ve seen in awhile.

It's not one of the better, but it is one of the most videogame

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anno posted:

Seems odd to put a game of thrones character in this

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I liked Yakuza 4 more than 3, because the novelty of playing characters other than Kiryu for the first time since 0 was really cool to me. I admittedly liked Akiyama more than Saejima or Tanimura (who I do think is the worst playable protagonist in the series, but not total dogshit or anything like the consensus seems to be?), but the break from Kiryu made it way cooler when it was actually time to play him again at the end.

Jack Trades posted:

Kiryu is less interesting than a bread-on-bread sandwich.

Mods?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I like how Batman just attacks Bugs Bunny for absolutely no reason lmbo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

They did the meme.

I never imagined that I would ever see the perfect game

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

dr.acula posted:

It's the ultimate showdown.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

dr.acula posted:

Batman's reason is that he is the Batman.

Just to be clear because they forgot to show it in the trailer. His parents are dead.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 16, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Agent355 posted:

It's the ultimate showdown.

I'm going to be singing this all day now...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

They did the meme.

I CLAPPED, I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW IT

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Yakuza 0 was great but I could get into any other Yakuza games because Majima isn't playable in any of them and Kiryu is less interesting than a bread-on-bread sandwich.

That's not rad.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I liked Yakuza 4 more than 3, because the novelty of playing characters other than Kiryu for the first time since 0 was really cool to me. I admittedly liked Akiyama more than Saejima or Tanimura (who I do think is the worst playable protagonist in the series, but not total dogshit or anything like the consensus seems to be?), but the break from Kiryu made it way cooler when it was actually time to play him again at the end.

Yeah I think how much you enjoy 4 really depends on how much you like the new characters, both in their personalities and their fighting styles. Tanimura is the worst for both, obviously, but I loved Akiyama and Saejima, so I had a good time with it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I thought blasphemous was a drat bummer. It’s a beautiful game, but I don’t know that the parry-focused style of combat is very interesting in a 2D game. It felt so slow that I kept dying because I just took risks because I wanted to speed up the combat a little.

This is me but every Souls game.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Is there a mod to make the graphics look less like a low-resolution hand-me-down patchwork quilt? That's what I'm looking for.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You don’t have to parry most of the game. Only a couple bosses require it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

blasphemous owns, it was my favorite game from that year

i didn't include it in my MV list because i guess it's not truly one, but it definitely would appeal to MV fans with its style of exploration and world size... it's just more skill tree than ability upgrade

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's not rad.

For real, Kiryu is basically this but played straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JM7pPpfIPY

Majima was an infinitely more entertaining character in comparison.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If you want Fall Guys on Steam, you officially have one month to get it. https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1526252458443362305?s=20&t=TzEahkAIXLukZLI9wl7AoQ

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Kiryu is a hilariously dense gangster with a heart of gold who takes far too long to process situations, but responds with devastating and righteous force when he comes around to it.

Majima is just the joker.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pirate Jet posted:

If you want Fall Guys on Steam, you officially have one month to get it. https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1526252458443362305?s=20&t=TzEahkAIXLukZLI9wl7AoQ
Fall Guys numbers really fell off pretty quick, it's obvious Epic is hoping for a repeat of Rocket League but I wonder if they may have bought a lemon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Anonymous Robot posted:

Nah he's chaotic but firmly in "loveable scamp" territory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

Fall Guys numbers really fell off pretty quick, it's obvious Epic is hoping for a repeat of Rocket League but I wonder if they may have bought a lemon.

It was fun on PS+ but it got old quick

Fall Guys just didn't have enough variety for what it was

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kiryu, unlike Majima, has never killed a man.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I imagine Fall Guys will probably get a decent amount of mileage out of the Switch port due to so many young kids having them

Can't see it holding older demographics interest though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Kiryu is a hilariously dense gangster with a heart of gold who takes far too long to process situations, but responds with devastating and righteous force when he comes around to it.

Majima is smart, charismatic and good with ladies. Meanwhile I'm pretty sure Kiryu never learns what sex is.