Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Right. Note the distinction between game and game state.

Twilight Imperium is reset every time you play the game. It has no memory of previous games. The game state is reset every time you put it back in the box.

Gloomhaven has memory of previous games, but cannot be reset.[1]

Oath has a memory of previous games, and is never reset. The rules must allow for all victories to leave the game set up in such a way that the next game is playable. It's awesome, but it's a design constraint, in the same way that a million other things are design constraints.

As I understand it, ARCS comes from (in part) Wehrle's desire to make a game with "memory", but not a legacy game, but not be bound with memory forever. After ~3 games, ARCS forgets. The game state resets.

[1] (unless you buy new stickers or take special sleeving precautions or whatever, but that's not the intent of the game, and most people don't want to play a Legacy game twice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Kickstarter for Mutants in the Next is live... Now!

With Sophie Campbell and Fábio Fontes illustrating, Will Jobst editing, and creators like Crystal Fraiser, Darren M. A. Calvert, and Ewen Cluney lined up as stretch goals, take a look! Both Mutants in the Now and Mutants in the Next will be available as part of the Kickstarter, and there'll be furred fish, hellbenders, pro wrestling, and so much more. With the core established, I can start getting more wild with ideas, and I hope you'll join up.

Backed!
I missed the first campaign, so I'm glad there was an option to get both books.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Rowan, Rook, and Decard (of Spire and Heart fame) present DIE: The Roleplaying Game, by Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans (who wrote and illustrated the comic, which is about people who are really, really into role playing games).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/die-the-roleplaying-game

I don't know how much I actually want this, but I like giving Howitt, Taylor, and McJanda money, so I'll probably pick it up via Backerkit.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I looked over the beta version when that came out and it has an interesting set of mechanics which reflect the comics pretty well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Kickstarter for Mutants in the Next is live... Now!

With Sophie Campbell and Fábio Fontes illustrating, Will Jobst editing, and creators like Crystal Fraiser, Darren M. A. Calvert, and Ewen Cluney lined up as stretch goals, take a look! Both Mutants in the Now and Mutants in the Next will be available as part of the Kickstarter, and there'll be furred fish, hellbenders, pro wrestling, and so much more. With the core established, I can start getting more wild with ideas, and I hope you'll join up.

gently caress yeah I'm in again. I could spend all day just rolling characters in this system, it's so fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah I'm in again. I could spend all day just rolling characters in this system, it's so fun.

It's the exception to the rule I normally kinda hate random stats but ARB is so skilled with the system that I'm still 9 times out of 10 happy with the result.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Last few days - (Ends this Sunday - 15th) but....

HAVE YOU EVER WISHED YOUR TERRAIN WAS A PEN?

HAVE YOU EVER WISHED YOUR PEN WAS TERRAIN?

WISH NO LONGER.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/paint-your-own-tree-pen

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The DIE rpg kickstarter went live yesterday and is already at £175K of a £30K goal. :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/die-the-roleplaying-game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Way back in the day Kieron Gillen told me in an email that he had a habit of eating hobbit corpses in Nethack. Since then he's gotten more and more famous and frankly it's time I spoke out.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Way back in the day Kieron Gillen told me in an email that he had a habit of eating hobbit corpses in Nethack. Since then he's gotten more and more famous and frankly it's time I spoke out.

Not seeing the problem here, hobbits are good eating, fat and juicy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HopperUK posted:

seems like only yesterday he was in an article about Worst Videogame Articles of the Year on this site and he got incredibly pissed about it.

Reading the description to the game/characters and I'm not surprised it sounds like he wrote it lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NinjaDebugger posted:

Not seeing the problem here, hobbits are good eating, fat and juicy.

If you don't nibble they'll just go to waste

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Maybe someone here can help me remember a crowdfunding project, probably a KS. It was for a simple card game about post-apocalyptic cars in a convoy attacking each other, Fury Road style, represented by placing vehicle cards in a line. It was very yellow and has sort of a 80s-90s punk Tom Bunk / Geof Darrow but PG-13 aesthetic. I think it was launched about a year ago, but I don't remember the name of the project and I cannot find it by an description on the web. I think someone related to video games was part of the project, but I no longer remember who. Seeing everyone getting and playing Radlands made me curious if this project actually made it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Could it be the Thunder Road remake? It has toy cars but sounds otherwise similar.

E: This one, but I don't think it's it now that I'm looking again

moths fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 16, 2022

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
GMT games Apocalypse Road?

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe someone here can help me remember a crowdfunding project, probably a KS. It was for a simple card game about post-apocalyptic cars in a convoy attacking each other, Fury Road style, represented by placing vehicle cards in a line. It was very yellow and has sort of a 80s-90s punk Tom Bunk / Geof Darrow but PG-13 aesthetic. I think it was launched about a year ago, but I don't remember the name of the project and I cannot find it by an description on the web. I think someone related to video games was part of the project, but I no longer remember who. Seeing everyone getting and playing Radlands made me curious if this project actually made it.

Is it dust biters?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

by.a.teammate posted:

Is it dust biters?

That was it. Thank you kindly, and thank you to the other responders as well.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I was gonna say Death Roads: All Stars - the company making it is a game developer using Unity.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theknightsofunity/death-roads-all-stars

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Dust Biters is great btw, highly recommend it if you happen to find a copy.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dunno if anyone had backed Mint Mini, the latest in the line of mint tin games (that started with Mint Works), but it looks like the company (Poketto) dissolved out of nowhere and it's not going to fulfill.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poketto/mint-mini/comments

Quite a shame since it was to be the 6th game, kinda capping off the series with a lunchbox to store them all.
Just another small company death due to poor finances and shipping costs is my bet.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Welp, I didn't go in for the lunchbox, but I did go in for the promos, guess that's 45 bucks into the wind. Been quite a while since I had a Kickstarter fail to fulfill.

I think the one before that was Skull Diggers. Anything else would have been years ago. Stuff like the Machine Age Micro-Games or Monsterhearts: Second Skins.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 17, 2022

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dang, that's rough. I always thought their games had a nice little niche in that they looked economical to produce and there was demand for them. More to it than that for them, I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I enjoyed their games since I travel a lot for work. I’m out the game and the promos but what can ya do I guess. For as many games as I’ve backed I’m honestly surprised it took this long to get bit.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lol, that was the first mint game I didn’t back. Lucky me I guess :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

djfooboo posted:

Lol, that was the first mint game I didn’t back. Lucky me I guess :shrug:

Same!

Maybe it was our fault?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
oof

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

You have my sympathies... seriously, I received all their other campaigns and didn't expect them to fold, even with shipping costs. I mean, their product is wayyyy smaller and lighter than any other big-box kickstarter.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The only one that had them beat I think is Button Shy games.
~18 cards per game and a little plastic folder is hard to beat for low production costs and shipping density.

Still, must have been more to it for them to fold. I wonder if their games were small and cute but maybe not as cheap to product as I thought? Dunno and maybe never will.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Eyes Have It posted:

The only one that had them beat I think is Button Shy games.
~18 cards per game and a little plastic folder is hard to beat for low production costs and shipping density.
Button Shy is such a great little company. I have most of their wallet games and have been a loyal $10 Board Game of the Month member for like 3 years now.
They showed off how they order their cards in the most efficient way by buying large decks that cover multiple games and even the leftover cards from each order slowly make a single game over time (or are single promo cards to use for other games).

I do wish there was a good way to store their wallets so you could see the front cover, though. I have 3 of their boxes and one "Game Haul" zipper bag and you can't tell which game is which by looking at the spine. Maybe some sort of 3x3 card folio with really deep pockets to fit the wallets?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 17, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They can also fully produce in the US instead of relying on international production and shipping, which is infinitely cheaper/easier than if you have any other components besides printed pages.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I do wish there was a good way to store their wallets so you could see the front cover, though.

???This???
https://www.amazon.com/AKIRO-Busine...la-834521446713

Who is brave enough to see if this works?
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Photo-...ps%2C252&sr=8-6

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Scale75 kickstarter is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scale75/scalecolor-artist-smooth-acrylic-paints-2

I like it but idk how I feel about metal tubes...

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 18, 2022

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

Dunno if anyone had backed Mint Mini, the latest in the line of mint tin games (that started with Mint Works), but it looks like the company (Poketto) dissolved out of nowhere and it's not going to fulfill.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poketto/mint-mini/comments

Quite a shame since it was to be the 6th game, kinda capping off the series with a lunchbox to store them all.
Just another small company death due to poor finances and shipping costs is my bet.

That sucks! I liked the two games of theirs I’d gotten and had pledged for the new one and the rest with the lunchbox.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like it but idk how I feel about metal tubes...

Metal tubes are great. Your paint lasts forever inthem.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I know the mint game cash flow was borked, they used to engage in the time honored tradition of violating Kickstarter's rules on running a new project without fulfilling existing ones, and when I called that out, the email I got from someone from the company said they ran new KSes to keep money flowing in the pay for employment and fulfillment on prior projects -- guess it finally caught up with them

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Metal tubes are great. Your paint lasts forever inthem.

My only experience is with oil and even a slight squeeze means too much paint spent unless I just shove the paint brush in there and dig it out, and metal tubes (toothpaste or glue or w/e) tick me off because I know I'm not getting the last bits out of it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

Kickstarter's rules

hehe... he he he he Ha ha Ha Ha.... BWAA HA HA HA HA... hoooo *wipes tear from eye*

Seriously though it's probably the same thing that happened to TMG. Maybe the bull market was buoying a lot of these smallish publishers.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I wonder what my Blacklist Miniatures Series 1 are doing right now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I wonder what my Blacklist Miniatures Series 1 are doing right now.
Just continuing to sit in Quartermaster Logistic’s Florida warehouse as they have for like 6 months…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Magnetic North posted:

hehe... he he he he Ha ha Ha Ha.... BWAA HA HA HA HA... hoooo *wipes tear from eye*

Seriously though it's probably the same thing that happened to TMG. Maybe the bull market was buoying a lot of these smallish publishers.

I don't even know why they even pretended to have that rule at all. Best I could tell, it was completely ignored. More projects means more 10% cuts for KS