Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Re:Zero is total poo poo so don't feel bad about not getting into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nah re: zero is pretty good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Re:Zero is very much fine. It's not breaking some huge new ground that no other isekai or fantasy story has done, but it attempts the bare minimum of having actual character development with flawed people with some semblance of broader lore that posits that the setting exists beyond the POV of the protag. None of these are particularly earth shattering pluses but most isekai only do the limpest of overtures for them so it's at least something.

All of which is to say theres nothing wrong with not liking it because "a bit above average for an isekai" is not exactly a huge hurdle I think worth applauding.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What other good groundhogs day anime is there aside from steins;gate?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Was there any indication that there was an issue with that guy not liking it? Why is re:zero singled out from the half a dozen series they listed lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Summertime Rendering is airing right now, there's also the Saike Mata Shite mo manga (dunno if scans finished it yet).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

What other good groundhogs day anime is there aside from steins;gate?

The Tatami Galaxy

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

Was there any indication that there was an issue with that guy not liking it? Why is re:zero singled out from the half a dozen series they listed lol
I was just responding as part of the conversation of the previous two posts!! Geez!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Julias posted:

The Tatami Galaxy

You know somehow I have never heard anyone mention that that's an aspect of that story. I really should finally sit down and watch it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

You know somehow I have never heard anyone mention that that's an aspect of that story. I really should finally sit down and watch it

It’s very good, I put it off because of over recommending but what sold me was same animation style as devilman crybaby. Also it’s actually funny and in college and not middle/high school.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tatami Galaxy is a show I wish aired a few years earlier since it would have truly changed my life if it aired when I was still in college.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

ninjewtsu posted:

yes. the night is short, walk on girl is incredible too

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Hi guys, during the pandemic I started watching a lot of anime and now that I've finished several really long good series I'm looking for stuff that can kind of fill the void. I wondered what you might recommend based off my lift of most enjoyed series?

Yu Yu Hakusho
Demon Slayer
Full Metal Alchemist (both series)
InuYasha + Yashahime
Dr Stone
Evangelion

Revolutionary Girl Utena
SSSS.Dynazenon
Kyousogiga
Mob Psycho 100
RahXephon
Wolf's Rain

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Srice posted:

Tatami Galaxy is a show I wish aired a few years earlier since it would have truly changed my life if it aired when I was still in college.

I watched it in college and I definitely spent some time staring into the distance or at the wall/ceiling in contemplation lol. One of the dearest pieces of media to me + its companion walk on girl

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean it's not not groundhogs day but I'm not surprised nobody has described it like that, it's not a 'almost everything that happens is literally identical but the protag navigates it differently' show (it's still good).

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your recommendations, I'm really looking forward to checking some of these out at the weekend.

Julias posted:

Senki Zesshou Symphogear

Interesting synopsis! Added it to my list, cheers.

The Colonel posted:

I might not have given Hunter x Hunter enough time to get going, I think I stopped at episode 3. Do you think the original series or the newer one is better? Nadesico sounds wild, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Chiasaur11 posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

I can see the similarities just looking at the promotional materials haha. I'll give it a go (this will be my first look at anything Gundam related.) Fwiw I thought Shin held it together remarkably well to the point of being a little too stoic at times lol.

DamnGlitch posted:

It's not done but if you want sick animation Jujutsin kaisen.

AOT gets better after the first season.

HxH gets very very very good but it's a slow start.

Didn't put it on there but I liked Jujutsu Kaisen, looking forward to the movie when it's available dubbed. AOT I think I watched all the way until part way through the 2nd season. I ill revisit it again at some point.

ninjewtsu posted:

what you liked about those shows and why you bounced off the others would probably be helpful

Really hard to explain, I don't know why myself. I usually binge through series so it has to be interesting enough to hold my attention while not being so complicated that I lose the thread of who people are or what's going on in the plot.

I did actually watch a lot of Re:Zero and I think I fell off sometime in the second season, after Echidna is introduced. To begin with I quite liked it but it started getting a little hard to follow. I think the earlier episodes where he's just figuring out what is going on and how to exploit the return by death thing are the strongest points of the show. It doesn't help that I don't usually vibe with isekai that much (Inuyasha not withstanding).

Summertime Rendering looks cool, I get Shiki vibes from the synopsis so I'll check it out. :)

Tatami Galaxy doesn't sound like something I'd normally go for but I'll give it a try anyway and expand my horizons.

Pootybutt posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena
SSSS.Dynazenon
Kyousogiga
Mob Psycho 100
RahXephon
Wolf's Rain

Thanks, I see Revolutionary Girl Utena come up a lot so I'll check it out. I watched Mob Psycho 100's first episode and thought the animation was amazing but decided to leave it until I could give it the right level of attention. Wolf's Rain I remember watching a long time ago - I couldn't tell you what happens in it. The others are new to me, I'll do a little research on them. Thanks :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I might not have given Hunter x Hunter enough time to get going, I think I stopped at episode 3. Do you think the original series or the newer one is better? Nadesico sounds wild, I'll give it a try, thanks!

the 90s anime has a cool vibe and a much darker aesthetic but it's much slower, has a fair bit of filler, doesn't adapt chimera ant and it kinda falls apart at greed island. interesting for a revisit of the story but the 2011 anime is a more complete and consistent one

and by falls apart at greed island i mean this is the op for a chunk of the arc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGhqvAdQrs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you only watch the 99 version through the end of Yorknew (the first OVA series), but for that segment i think it's the better take thanks to the attention paid to stuff like lighting/atmosphere while 2011 just washes over everything with a light and brighter palette.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Nate RFB posted:

Re:Zero is very much fine. It's not breaking some huge new ground that no other isekai or fantasy story has done, but it attempts the bare minimum of having actual character development with flawed people with some semblance of broader lore that posits that the setting exists beyond the POV of the protag. None of these are particularly earth shattering pluses but most isekai only do the limpest of overtures for them so it's at least something.

All of which is to say theres nothing wrong with not liking it because "a bit above average for an isekai" is not exactly a huge hurdle I think worth applauding.

The main guy is incredibly annoying. I got through half of the first season and I couldn't handle all the screaming and bumbling around he does.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Monolith. posted:

The main guy is incredibly annoying. I got through half of the first season and I couldn't handle all the screaming and bumbling around he does.

One of the major points of the show is his slow development into a good person who actually does some pretty cool things with his ability. That said, I know what you mean, they really pushed his annoyingness to the limit in the first season, and I had a hard time getting through it.

But yeah, it's still better than most of the standard, boring isekai out there, I think.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm rereading Pluto and it reminded me that I wanted to read more Urasawa. What's his most well known work? Any recommendations?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm rereading Pluto and it reminded me that I wanted to read more Urasawa. What's his most well known work? Any recommendations?

Monster is definitely his most well known one, and it's very much worth checking out. Really can't go wrong with any of his work though I'll also recommend Billy Bat since it's as wild as it is ambitious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outside of Pluto either Monster or 20th Century Boys would be his most well known works I guess. Can't speak for the latter but Monster is great and has a pretty good anime adaptation too if you're into that sort of thing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I really enjoyed 20th century boys, it's a pretty good thriller with a great cast of characters and unexpected twists and turns. Probably it's biggest weakness is that it's obvious urusawa planned out the early volumes and the ending, but there's a large chunk in the middle where it feels like he's just "winging it".

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Monster is great, but at the moment I'm rereading Billy Bat and it's insane in all the best ways so I'm gonna recommend that.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

20th Century Boys is probably the second best manga I've read outside of Berserk.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If you want something more serialized, drawn by their hand, there's always Master Keaton. It wasn't specifically written by them, but one of the writers of Pluto was onboard. Got a friend that really loves the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Colonel posted:

and by falls apart at greed island i mean this is the op for a chunk of the arc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGhqvAdQrs

Lol oh wow that's pretty bad if that's what they decided to show off for their OP animation.

Onwards.

Are there any non gundam shows that match the sense of scale that the original show has? Among Gundam itself 0079 is still the only show (not counting the 90s UC ovas) where it intentionally feels like we're following one small but crucial part of a larger conflict. Other shows going forward all feel like every action of the war hinges on what the main cast is doing right now, so the wars end up feeling more tunnel vision-y. There's still some pretty large battles across these shows, but they don't invoke the same sense as the OYW stuff where there's always the hint of "yeah this is a big fight, but the wider conflict is even larger" vibes whenever stuff goes down.

I know legend of the galactic heroes does macro scale combat really well but I'm wondering what other shows are out there that invoke that same feeling of being part of a larger fight.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dunbine kinda has things hinging on show and neal given's crew for a bit earlier on but as the core conflict of that show gets bigger and bigger they end up basically just turning into another group of soldiers in the conflict whose individual contributions remain important but, aren't enough to turn the tides of the battle anymore, and they sink into the background of the way endgame conflicts because they've just grown so huge that even they can't keep track of what's going on anymore

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
It's not really the main focus of Crest/Banner of the Stars, but when they do get around to doing battle it's really effective at doing the "one small ship trying to do its part in a huge battle" thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kingdom presents its war battles from the perspective of the foot soldiers, though I have to note that the first season is half CG and looks like rear end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol oh wow that's pretty bad if that's what they decided to show off for their OP animation.

Onwards.

Are there any non gundam shows that match the sense of scale that the original show has? Among Gundam itself 0079 is still the only show (not counting the 90s UC ovas) where it intentionally feels like we're following one small but crucial part of a larger conflict. Other shows going forward all feel like every action of the war hinges on what the main cast is doing right now, so the wars end up feeling more tunnel vision-y. There's still some pretty large battles across these shows, but they don't invoke the same sense as the OYW stuff where there's always the hint of "yeah this is a big fight, but the wider conflict is even larger" vibes whenever stuff goes down.

I know legend of the galactic heroes does macro scale combat really well but I'm wondering what other shows are out there that invoke that same feeling of being part of a larger fight.

The first season of 86 has a bit of that. Spearhead gets the most dangerous missions, but they're just one cog in a larger war machine in one front of a much wider war. Of course, the wider stuff only comes up in season 2, when they're more central. For OVAs, there's Mellowlink, the VOTOMs spin-off all about one soldier's revenge quest in the shadow of the larger conflict, and maybe Power Dolls, two one shot OVAs that are vaguely part of a war that only gets covered in the games.

Of course, the best example of that I can think of is from novels, not anime. In the 40K "Gaunt's Ghosts" books, there's always an intro talking about the wider war. The general assessment is almost always about Warmaster Macaroth and his daring, risky strategies that decide the fate of billions in one nailbiting engagement. The protagonists, if they get mentioned at all, are just tossed in alongside the 10th Mardine Dog-kickers and the 18th Cadian Expendables as one of the contributing forces. And even the war as a whole is just for one cluster of worlds that most of the wider galaxy will never care about.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 17, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gods, jf there was an anime equivalent of Sharpe/Gaunt I would be all over that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

Gods, jf there was an anime equivalent of Sharpe/Gaunt I would be all over that.

Last Exile is a tiny tiny bit of that

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Last Exile captured that sense of watching a ps1/2 jrpg cutscene but a series quite a bit before Made in Abyss, and a lil bit better in my book.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tales of Woe posted:

mal scores are good at telling you what the sort of people who watch anime youtubers think is good and bad, that's about it

Fangz posted:

Yeah there's lots of 6/10 shows I like a lot.
alright, what are everyone's fav anime that are rated below 7.00 on mal?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Coaaab posted:

Samurai Flamenco
Concrete Revolutio
.hack//Sign
Overman King Gainer
Jashin-chan Dropkick
Kill Me Baby
Punch Line

most of these are at like 6.9 but still...

and its not really a favorite but mayoiga is a good show under 6.00. i havent watched blue reflection ray yet but thats also under 6 and people here said it was good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coaaab posted:

Gundam: Reconguista in G has a 5.77 which is insanely wild because it makes it the lowest rated Gundam series by a significant margin when it's actually one of the best.

I knew that one off the top of my head though. Looking around some more I mostly see low ratings for a lot of movies I enjoy a lot, which means that either everyone is wrong or I have the disease that makes me think bad things are good.

Here's some movies that I think are pretty good and/or interesting but have a rating below 7 on MAL because of the various ne'er-do-wells on MAL:

Urusei Yatsura: Lum the Forever (for my money's worth it's the second best UY movie!)
Aim for the Ace (Dezaki RULES and it is a crime that it's rated so low)
Ai City
Windaria
Pandora and Akubi
Seven Days War
Poupelle of Chimney Town

Could probably find more if I dug around but I figure that's a decent start!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh, and Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space. I can't forget that one, even if 99% of the people who've seen it want to forget it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Srice posted:

Oh, and Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space. I can't forget that one, even if 99% of the people who've seen it want to forget it!

I just looked this up and what the gently caress is that synopsis