Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I’d love to see Backstrom play it out. I’m skeptical, but maybe he just needs some injections, some magic pill.

https://twitter.com/rmnb/status/1525875871780900866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

glynnenstein posted:

I’d love to see Backstrom play it out. I’m skeptical, but maybe he just needs some injections, some magic pill.

https://twitter.com/rmnb/status/1525875871780900866

More "allergy medicine" for Backy, sure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1526209057790603264

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/pitchforkedpuck/status/1526210887832551425?s=20&t=L4sapGdNE6ZromiWrlykhA

Yes please.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Why is Hayes elected? I know Chara is old and Price has his personal problems.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Carver posted:

Why is Hayes elected? I know Chara is old and Price has his personal problems.

His brother died

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

His brother died

Oh right, dang. Somehow it's not on his wiki page.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

loving lmao if Dubas really offered Campbell $1M less than Mrazek and wants to use the savings to bring Giordano back. Just full on galaxy cluster brain.

e: and to clarify, I'm fine with the Leafs moving on from Campbell if they find a better replacement at a reasonable price, but I'm a little skeptical of Dubas pulling that off. Also maybe they shouldn't have let Campbell come back early from his injury just because the goalie depth was complete garbage.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 16, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is Chara coming back to play again next season at like 55 years old or whatever?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Carver posted:

Oh right, dang. Somehow it's not on his wiki page.

Yeah, both his brother died and he came back 3 separate times during the season with 3 different surgeries (possibly because the Flyers medical staff could be incompetent? But who knows there).

Both him and Price def earned it this year imo.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the Central is in a weird place. I feel like the teams are in three groups:

Contenders: Colorado, St. Louis

will feel compelled to go for it for the next few years or are at least pot committed due to bad contracts/roster, even if they shouldn't: Minnesota (though I think they will remain the best of this bunch)/Winnipeg/Dallas/Chicago/Nashville

Arizona lol

Should be a fun couple of years, then who knows. in four years I think the team that bites the bullet and commits to a rebuild will be in the best shape. I think the only ones who might do that are Nashville. I think they might regress hard next year without resurgences from Duchene/Johansen, losing Forsberg, Saros not carrying, and Josi not going insane. I would start it off this offseason IMO.

Yeah the Wild can pretty much run it back next season with the exact same roster.. I would expect them to finish 2nd in the division again, they have a very strong core and in the regular season at least have proven to be a very good team.

I would say that the two most comparable teams in that group are Winnipeg and Dallas.. Two teams that kind of had a premature end to their window to compete and now are stuck in limbo with all these legacy contracts and the ultimate upside if everything goes right for them in a season might just be a wildcard spot in the playoffs. Winnipeg might be in a slightly better spot because some of their big money contracts would be highly desirable players for other teams which is more than you can say at the moment about the Dallas veterans.

**I mean yeah the Stars could trade Miro Heiskanen easily enough but other than that the guys making more than 3 million a season are all pretty much bad money contracts lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 16, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Starsfan posted:

Yeah the Wild can pretty much run it back next season with the exact same roster.. I would expect them to finish 2nd in the division again, they have a very strong core and in the regular season at least have proven to be a very good team.

I would say that the two most comparable teams in that group are Winnipeg and Dallas.. Two teams that kind of had a premature end to their window to compete and now are stuck in limbo with all these legacy contracts and the ultimate upside if everything goes right for them in a season might just be a wildcard spot in the playoffs. Winnipeg might be in a slightly better spot because some of their big money contracts would be highly desirable players for other teams which is more than you can say at the moment about the Dallas veterans.

**I mean yeah the Stars could trade Miro Heiskanen easily enough but other than that the guys making more than 3 million a season are all pretty much bad money contracts lol

I could see a dumb team taking on Seguin thinking he's still the same guy

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Masterton nominee for “playing” hockey while old as hell

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The problem for Winnipeg doing a complete teardown and rebuild is that they have been very public about the numbers only working with consistent home sellouts and it’s real hard to get that if you’re going down to the floorboards.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

loving lmao if Dubas really offered Campbell $1M less than Mrazek and wants to use the savings to bring Giordano back. Just full on galaxy cluster brain.

e: and to clarify, I'm fine with the Leafs moving on from Campbell if they find a better replacement at a reasonable price, but I'm a little skeptical of Dubas pulling that off. Also maybe they shouldn't have let Campbell come back early from his injury just because the goalie depth was complete garbage.

Yeah, much like acquiring Gio at the trade deadline, a lot of the stuff that Friedman is saying sounds worse than staying pat imo. "More tenacity in the top 6" almost certainly means "get someone who sucks", it's gonna be real hard to do better than Campbell in this market and Mrazek is not an option, Gio is 38 years old and could fall off a cliff any time, and the issue in the D corps all year was mobility.

Like the worst scenario is that Dubas and Keefe stick around, decide that they need "heavier" guys and get a bunch of over-the-hill filler like they always do. Friedman also said he thinks they're considering a major move, I really hope it's not something like trading Nylander for magic beans and signing Bryan Rust for $6M because he had a good playoffs 6 years ago, but Dubas seems allergic to the idea that he might have to trade for players that are on the upswing instead of "proven" guys that are past it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/1526224076741779461

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Winnipeg will be either good or bad completely depending on their coaching situation. They have enough talent to be around the playoffs even if the locker room is a lovely place to be. No idea about Dallas though, a lot of them will be another year older in a bad way, but maybe they can bore the other team into giving up goals. The scoring situation is better in Winnipeg and if Trotz somehow ends up there then they'll probably make it.

Minnesota is losing someone this summer for sure. Maybe Fiala, there's only around 7m to resign him, Middleton, and find a second goalie. Talbot is also up the next offseason so there are goalie/cap issues coming. Maybe Guerin can sucker MAF to stay in St Paul for the next year for a little cheaper. So I appreciate the optimism, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Kaprizov has to drag them to a wild card spot because they only have one line that consistently scores.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Barry once again gets shitcanned for a bad reason only to be replaced by an assistant.

Hopefully it goes as well for NYI as it did for Washington.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I remember wanting Lambert before the Rangers got Gallant.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jhet posted:

Minnesota is losing someone this summer for sure. Maybe Fiala, there's only around 7m to resign him, Middleton, and find a second goalie. Talbot is also up the next offseason so there are goalie/cap issues coming. Maybe Guerin can sucker MAF to stay in St Paul for the next year for a little cheaper. So I appreciate the optimism, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Kaprizov has to drag them to a wild card spot because they only have one line that consistently scores.

I mean you don't need to re-sign Middleton or Fleury, they weren't on the team the majority of the season anyways. I don't think Fiala is that tricky.. if they can make it work for the next season Dumba and Kulikov come off the books in 2024 and the team can probably safely move on from them.

I don't think it looks so hopeless for the Wild. It's alot clearer to me how they are going to compete in the division than alot of the other teams lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Starsfan posted:

I mean you don't need to re-sign Middleton or Fleury, they weren't on the team the majority of the season anyways. I don't think Fiala is that tricky.. if they can make it work for the next season Dumba and Kulikov come off the books in 2024 and the team can probably safely move on from them.

I don't think it looks so hopeless for the Wild. It's alot clearer to me how they are going to compete in the division than alot of the other teams lol
With Suter & Parise gone they certainly have more wiggle room, and I expect Boldy to grow as a player

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
They have more wiggle room..... 3 years from now.

I get what you're implying, but having to account for 15 million in dead cap it's tough to describe that as wiggle room.

Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 16, 2022

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I know the Masterton is whatever but Chara would be a lame pick. He has had plenty of accolades and doesn’t need a Masterton as lifetime achievement award. Would love to see Hayes win.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Suter being so bad he got bought out at great cost to the team long term and them immediately getting a 4-year deal from Dallas owns

Jim Nill just can’t help himself when a veteran hits the market

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

The problem for Winnipeg doing a complete teardown and rebuild is that they have been very public about the numbers only working with consistent home sellouts and it’s real hard to get that if you’re going down to the floorboards.

The Thompson family are richer than all other NHL owners combined and that list includes Stan Kroenke and Phil Anschutz.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1526231180839895042

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

smart move! i hope he gets replaced by an even bigger trashcan

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I mean there's no way Vegas didn't just park the Brinks truck in Trotz's driveway, right?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol yessssss burn Vegas burn

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I can't see Trotz wanting to go there unless the money is astronomical

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i want to see mike babcock behind the knights' bench. i want to see the neon lights of vegas reflected in his dead eyes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

There's some good prospects, yes. I'd love to keep Middleton for sure. He's been really decent considering. He's also going to be reasonably cheap. He's not going to put up 50 points, but he also was good support and didn't blow coverage constantly. I appreciate Kulikov for the singular reason that I think he's been good to help Kaprizov settle in and feel comfortable. But I don't expect him to get extended. Dumba's situation is really disappointing because of how he was doing before the Flames decided he needed to continually fight after a clean hit.

I'd agree they also have a pretty clear path forward, but that 14m is a big dent in a time with a mostly flat cap.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mind_Taker posted:

I mean there's no way Vegas didn't just park the Brinks truck in Trotz's driveway, right?

Probably, but I hope he refuses anyways.

Travis Green is available!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

WeaponX posted:

I know the Masterton is whatever but Chara would be a lame pick. He has had plenty of accolades and doesn’t need a Masterton as lifetime achievement award. Would love to see Hayes win.

"Zdeno Chara, who persevered through the challenges of being too old and slow to play hockey anymore, scored 2 goals in April and avoided being shut out on the season."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Calling it now, Leafs will fire Keefe and hire DeBoer.

If the Leafs are dumb enough to keep Keefe then DeBoer goes to the Flyers.

Vegas will announce Q or Trotz, but probably Q, within a day or two. Probably waited on sacking DeBoer because they were negotiating with his replacement (and if it's Q, with the league office)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

shyduck posted:

I can't see Trotz wanting to go there unless the money is astronomical

Good news, Vegas has tons of money to burn

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Vegas is an excellent head coaching job because you are almost guaranteed a bounce back season and an easy playoff spot next year.. not sure if they can re-take the division from Calgary, but I would bet the bank account on them getting back into the divisional spot next year..

Vegas is also a terrible head coaching job because that roster is old as dirt and it's only a couple of years time before the results fall off and you are fired by the trigger happy ownership.

So yeah, a perfect spot for Travis Green

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

"Zdeno Chara, who persevered through the challenges of being too old and slow to play hockey anymore, scored 2 goals in April and avoided being shut out on the season."

Who’s the highest profile NHLer this season to score no goals?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
IIRC I did a post about what the Pens could possible do to improve and compete again and I was looking, but reading that many Rex posts was painful. Can't imagine how much it sucks for the rest of you :P

Big UFAs - Malkin, Rust, Rakell, Evan Rodrigues, Letang, DeSmith
RFAs - Heinen, Kapanen

Kris Letang - Can they retain him? How hard will he drop off and when and how hard? Please don't give him more than 3 years. The only player that is approaching his capability available on the market is Klingberg. Huge gambles either way this one. The D core needs some surgery though. With how things went with Dumo being out and the team looking more than capable without him...wonder if they consider moving him. I think Pettersson being moved is far far far more likely though and unless Pitt is landing a player such as Jakob Chychrun and Letang somehow continues to function as he has for this last 2 seasons it's kind of a moot point.

Malkin - 8 goals for 2 against 5v5. Also huge liability and directly at fault for multiple shorthanded goals against. I think it would really be best for all parties involved if everyone went their separate ways. He was an astonishingly dominant player until the last few years and now...he isn't :( Ends the season at PPG and 6 in 7 these playoffs. His numbers and production in the series were pretty good...his fancies are really good. I just don't know. So long and off into the sunset of the KHL suits all parties I think and there's no legacy tarnishing nor Pitt saddling themselves with a bad long expensive contract.

Rust - Let him walk. Or run. Please. He's cool and good and he's just turned 30 and please don't give Hyman money and term to him. A very good/nice complementary piece though....and completely replaceable which leads to....
Rakell - I'd like him resigned regardless of what the rest of the team is doing....of course depending on money and term. Slotted onto Sid's line very nicely. Played well on the 2nd line. Seems very much a Sullivan style player.
E Rod - multi year sub 2 million per please? Probably my favorite depth player in a long long time. Very quality utility player.
DeSmith - Ended the season .914. Played pretty well. Might win the series if he doesn't get hurt. IDK...if cheap maybe OK or the Pens look for an upgrade. UFA market is pretty sparse. Ville Husso is a gamble and I think others are more likely to overpay him. Not a whole lot else out there.
Heinen - 33 in 76 playing 12:30 a night and a ton of time bolted to Kapanen. I like him. I think he's capable and useful. Ideally he's more a 3rd liner than a 2nd liner though. Happy to have him assuming cheap'ish
Kapanen - 16 in 30 to start the year. 16 in 49 to end it. Finished with 8.5% shooting. Had one of his worst per 60 years. Finishing with 1.4 points per 60. Averaged 2 pts per 60 while in Toronto. His metrics are *fine*. The huge problems with Kapanen are 1. He can only do 1 thing at a time. 2. He does not read and react at a NHL level. 3. His skating is actually quite bad. Rex....how can you say that? Kapanen is fast I'm told! He is. ONLY if he is facing forward and can stride completely unimpeded in a straight line. He can not change direction laterally at all. It's actually quite incredible. He's very poor at exiting his own zone, the aforementioned speed of game means he can not play quick 1-2 short passes...he just fumbles the puck and has to stop and regroup. I truly believe that Kapanen is not capable of playing fast enough for the Sullivan system. He's slow to make decisions. He's poor at passing and he forechecks very poorly. The best outcome here is Pittsburgh flips him for another pending RFA IMO. Otherwise I guess they have to try and sign him cheap. Despite how deeply flawed he is I don't think you can let him walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Cartoon Man posted:

Who’s the highest profile NHLer this season to score no goals?

Mark Borowiecki or Danny DeKeyser I think.