Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the same team that did the CGI season of GITS did Blade Runner Black Lotus, and I've been less than impressed with Aramaki's CGI outings. He keeps making mediocre anime based off of movies I really like. The starship troopers anime movies are lame too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wasn't thrilled about Aramaki's CG Harlock movie though admittedly my beefs with it were generally over the script, the animation itself was fine and looks better than a lot of his CG stuff.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

surf rock posted:

Was the Blade Runner show any good?

I liked the movies. As a result, I also enjoyed the show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems fine if you like Blade Runner. I think the movies are good, but I wouldn't particularly call myself a fan of the franchise, so it didn't really do much for me.

Legit forgot there was more than one movie for a sec lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a franchise with a very narrow direction that stories can go. Replicants are more human than human and isn't it tragic how we treat our fellow man?

I love the hell out of Blade Runner and 2049 but it can't really grow as a setting without losing what makes the setting unique. Shinichiro Watanabe also made a Blade Runner anime short as a promotion for 2049 and all it did was explain why the blackout happened and have lingering shots on the dead body of a cute anime replicant girl to drive home how tragic it all is.

GITS has its fair share of problems but it is much better suited to television thanks to its setup and format. Blade Runners are detectives and assassins with one job. Section 9 handles multiple crime scenarios that lends the franchise a much wider variety of stories to tell. I'd rather watch the Major solving a mystery one week and crushing a tank the next week than watch a whole show about yet another hot girl who is also a replicant on the run for being a replicant story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved BR2049 but I don't even have much interest in more Blade Runner, like Ridley Scott himself is making a sequel series set fifty years after 2049 and that just seems kinda hosed to me (mainly because the world is so far gone in 2049 that it's hard to imagine it having even that much time left).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ridley Scott is also a weirdo who shouldn't be allowed to make sequels or prequels to any of his films. He'll probably make the future Blade Runner movie about a society of millions of Rachels and Deckards riding on unicorns with a big sign saying "HARRISON FORD IS A REPLICANT" flashing behind every scene in the film.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I dunno it would be weird if he did that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The teases about Deckard potentially being a replicant in the other cuts of Blade Runner add some interesting texture in the moment but really work against the central story of the film and I'm glad 2049 recognized this and went, "nah, he wasn't."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arc Hammer posted:

Ridley Scott is also a weirdo who shouldn't be allowed to make sequels or prequels to any of his films. He'll probably make the future Blade Runner movie about a society of millions of Rachels and Deckards riding on unicorns with a big sign saying "HARRISON FORD IS A REPLICANT" flashing behind every scene in the film.

He can do what he likes because even if it's trash it'll look good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yeah, there's nothing left plot-wise in the 2020 to 2049 timeframe and pushing it to 2100 makes a lot more sense, although it would be interesting to see how the setting changes.

Funny how both the new GITS and new Blade Runner have a central plot point of "the public can't know about this, it'll upend society!" thing going on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After using the Crunchyroll Android TV app again for a while, I've determined that the most effective way to prevent being constantly logged out is to always use the soft "Are you sure you would like to exit?" prompt when you're done with the app, and to never directly exit from a video using the Home button.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

He can do what he likes because even if it's trash it'll look good

:hai:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sb hermit posted:

Funny how both the new GITS and new Blade Runner have a central plot point of "the public can't know about this, it'll upend society!" thing going on.

Those kinds of plots are fine if the setting is comfortable with changing, but too often they're really lovely because they hamstring the stories you could tell by making the central plot a world ending threat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i once saw someone doing a youtube video about their dislike of vlad love compared to other yuri anime, that i generally agreed with in it not being a very interesting core relationship and them not really making a lot of funny jokes around the main two in particular, and then at the end it randomly segued into talking about class s and how class s casts a pall over all lesbian stuff in japanese art and media and makes us question if whether any of this is really gay.

and one of their examples they showed in video footage while talking about it was. the lesbian azumanga daioh girl who is specifically famous for having a gag in the anniversary chapters where she gets pressed on whether she's gay and says "the correct term is lesbian. NOT THAT I'M A LESBIAN." and then goes on to explicitly, without any room for doubt whatsoever, say that she's romantically interested in sakaki. one of their other examples was citrus.

at this point i'm convinced that doing youtube videos about niche stuff in anime casts some kind of mind curse that makes you incapable of discussing stuff on a more nuanced level with an actual understanding of what you're saying

Something about trying to analyze and interpret queer imagery and themes seems to bring out the absolute weirdest people who either want to write a thesis about some secret invisible hand of queer influence on the entire Japanese video game industry that has been deliberately suppressed or just completely fail to understand and interpret the most blatant of things.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

After using the Crunchyroll Android TV app again for a while, I've determined that the most effective way to prevent being constantly logged out is to always use the soft "Are you sure you would like to exit?" prompt when you're done with the app, and to never directly exit from a video using the Home button.

sounds better than crunchyroll on series x, which may log you out and then prevent you from logging back in unless you unlink the console from your account, remove the app, reinstall the app, and log back in/link to your account (and sometimes that still doesn't work).

one thing I'm hoping from the funi/crunchy merger are better apps but I'm not exactly holding my breath

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a new beta for Crunchyroll's site that seems pretty slick, so maybe a new app isn't entirely put of the question.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
More like Crunchy roll out a new app, please!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sleng Teng posted:

sounds better than crunchyroll on series x, which may log you out and then prevent you from logging back in unless you unlink the console from your account, remove the app, reinstall the app, and log back in/link to your account (and sometimes that still doesn't work).

one thing I'm hoping from the funi/crunchy merger are better apps but I'm not exactly holding my breath

I've given up trying to use the Crunchyroll app on the Xbox because it's still janky and slow to load videos even on my Series X. The videos themselves don't seem to look all that great either. And of course the aforementioned log out issue.

Instead, I load the site on the Edge browser with the Beta interface and it works great. I wish I could save it and pin it as a PWA like on my Windows machines (because of course the Windows 10 version of the app is poo poo and way out of date) instead of having load it like a regular web page but at least Edge can load your previous browser session. Also no annoying ads on Crunchyroll is nice since Edge on Xbox doesn't have support for plugins like Ad Blockers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe they will implement an audio language select feature, in their website exclusively dedicated to exporting foreign language cartoons around the world

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It is legitimately insane to me that Crunchyroll treats different languages as separate "seasons" of shows instead of as selectable audio tracks. Like, even Funimation, which has to do different video tracks as well for its "uncut" releases solved this problem ages ago. I guess it speaks to the fact that they weren't really in the business of dubs for a long time, but... still!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe they will implement an audio language select feature, in their website exclusively dedicated to exporting foreign language cartoons around the world

My understanding of such things is that for streaming it's far easier to just have two different videos for that instead of having one video with multiple audio tracks.

Since heck it happens even with the best streaming services like Criterion.

Arist posted:

It is legitimately insane to me that Crunchyroll treats different languages as separate "seasons" of shows instead of as selectable audio tracks. Like, even Funimation, which has to do different video tracks as well for its "uncut" releases solved this problem ages ago. I guess it speaks to the fact that they weren't really in the business of dubs for a long time, but... still!

But yeah also this

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Srice posted:

My understanding of such things is that for streaming it's far easier to just have two different videos for that instead of having one video with multiple audio tracks.

theres no excuse for that to not be transparent to the user. its just laziness/incompetence

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just annoyed because I'm watching both the sub and dub of Spy x Family, so when I want to watch the new subbed episode on Saturday I click on the next video in my watchlist and it takes me to the first episode of the German dub, because that's the episode in the next "season" after the last English episode I watched.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

I find that if I login every day on my xbox one (the 3rd generation xbox), it seems to not log me out

then again, I have to make several attempts at watching a show before one comes on. I call it "priming the anime pump" and it's annoying as heck

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arist posted:

I'm just annoyed because I'm watching both the sub and dub of Spy x Family, so when I want to watch the new subbed episode on Saturday I click on the next video in my watchlist and it takes me to the first episode of the German dub, because that's the episode in the next "season" after the last English episode I watched.

Actually, now I want to watch spy x family in german. This sounds pretty cool.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Edward IV posted:

I've given up trying to use the Crunchyroll app on the Xbox because it's still janky and slow to load videos even on my Series X. The videos themselves don't seem to look all that great either. And of course the aforementioned log out issue.

Instead, I load the site on the Edge browser with the Beta interface and it works great. I wish I could save it and pin it as a PWA like on my Windows machines (because of course the Windows 10 version of the app is poo poo and way out of date) instead of having load it like a regular web page but at least Edge can load your previous browser session. Also no annoying ads on Crunchyroll is nice since Edge on Xbox doesn't have support for plugins like Ad Blockers.

That sounds a lot better but needing to do a workaround like that sucks rear end. I decided I needed to use my playstation for something so now it's a crunchyroll machine (lol)

Now Hidive on the other hand seems to stay logged in but watching one episode of a show in my queue will remove it from my queue. what the gently caress

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At the very least, they could name the different seasons "S1 ENGLISH" and "S1 JAPANESE" instead of "KAGUYA: LOVE IS WAR SEASON 1 (ENGLISH)" so that I have to hover on that title and let it scroll around to find out which of the five dubs is the language I want to watch.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just listened to the Kill la Kill song, and somehow it was the first time I ever paid attention to the lyrics (other than DON'T LOOOOOOOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY) and realized that the song was written for the show and with the vocals supposed to be coming from the lyrics. Very silly, but the song still slaps.

Also, I'm only a couple of episodes into Gurren Lagann (which a lot of people here recommended watching instead of Kill la Kill when I asked about it a couple of years ago), and boy I hope it picks up.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

surf rock posted:

Also, I'm only a couple of episodes into Gurren Lagann (which a lot of people here recommended watching instead of Kill la Kill when I asked about it a couple of years ago), and boy I hope it picks up.

It does.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you find it unbearable now you probably won't ever like it but if you merely think it's kind of mid then you'll probably like it in the end. Episode 8 is the first truly great one so if you make it that far you'll definitely have an idea of whether or not the rest is for you

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Simon is meh, and then he's good, and then

Well, you'll see.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i remember liking it at the start and then cooling on it later except for a couple specific episodes, same as klk

2 cours is just too long for imaishi's style of storytelling

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i thought gurrenn lagann was unwatchable trash until it started getting very Studio TRIGGER(tm) and then i enjoyed it
klk already starts like that though

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched one episode of gurren lagann and it wasn't awful but when I was done I felt like I'd seen enough and never watched any more.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
These takes seem wild to me because TTGL is very much a show where things keep escalating in terms of scale throughout.

It might not be for everyone, but thinking or saying that you've seen all the show has to offer after a couple of episodes just feels misinformed.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have never seen TTGL and do not intend to start anytime soon.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

surf rock posted:

6/49 lmfao

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sb hermit posted:

what a mistake.

marumaru posted:

i thought gurrenn lagann was unwatchable trash until it started getting very Studio TRIGGER(tm) and then i enjoyed it
klk already starts like that though
and then what happens

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sb hermit posted:

godspeed :patriot: