Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

what a mistake.

hasn't been the first

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
make a meme of the crying stoned guy begging people to watch TTGL at least until ep 9

thank you

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

These takes seem wild to me because TTGL is very much a show where things keep escalating in terms of scale throughout.

It might not be for everyone, but thinking or saying that you've seen all the show has to offer after a couple of episodes just feels misinformed.

feeling like I had seen all of a show that I wanted to see and not watching more of it doesn't seem like that outrageous of a thing, it wasn't interesting or engaging to me. like I didn't hate it and it wasn't terrible but I had no desire to watch more, i.e I had seen enough.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I watched the new GITS sustainable war movie and it's just a remake of season 1 of SAC 2045 to better prep audiences for season 2. Which is good because I haven't watched season 1 and I feel like I haven't missed too much.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Everything Burrito posted:

feeling like I had seen all of a show that I wanted to see and not watching more of it doesn't seem like that outrageous of a thing, it wasn't interesting or engaging to me. like I didn't hate it and it wasn't terrible but I had no desire to watch more, i.e I had seen enough.

I mean I can't tell you you'd definitely like it but TTGL is not a show where you can guess at what the rest is like from one episode

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I should clarify that it's a 2 hr cut of the entire season 1. It didn't occur to me that it was a super cut until I got about halfway

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would really like for Sunrise to release the Gundam Witch from Mercury prologue already

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel burrito probably wouldn't like it enough to be worth bothering

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

sb hermit posted:

I have never seen TTGL and do not intend to start anytime soon.

row row, fight the power

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
"I don't want to continue to watch this"

"nooooo you can't drop this show without watching at least seven more episodes" :negative:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

"nooooo you can't drop this show without watching at least seven more episodes" :negative:
yes. exactly that many.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Not gonna twist your arm, lord knows I've ignored plenty of shows that people went nuts over.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Describe your situation better next time. You make it sound like you quite playing Bloodborne at the character creation menu because oh God imagine playing 28 hours of this

That said, I don't personally care if you do or do not watch the anime or read the manga, it's really inconsequential to my life.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
instead of just watching the whole series, just watch the TTGL movies

they cut out that whole big chunk of monster-of-the-day wheel-spinning in the first half of the series, and jump straight to the parts that everyone actually remembers

you miss out on a little character development and world-building, but it's sure as heck better than "oh you have to watch five or six more episodes and then it'll start getting good"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vizuyos posted:

instead of just watching the whole series, just watch the TTGL movies

they cut out that whole big chunk of monster-of-the-day wheel-spinning in the first half of the series, and jump straight to the parts that everyone actually remembers

you miss out on a little character development and world-building, but it's sure as heck better than "oh you have to watch five or six more episodes and then it'll start getting good"
i already said the number

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think that's a bad plan, with the caveat that if you do like the movies, there's a lot of stuff worth going back for in the series that didn't make the cut, or was just framed kind of worse in the movies. They're sort of two steps forward one step back

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
idk I've bailed on shows before the OP was over so I think watching a whole episode is pretty generous :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feel like pressuring someone to continue is just going to make them even less likely to.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Describe your situation better next time. You make it sound like you quite playing Bloodborne at the character creation menu because oh God imagine playing 28 hours of this

That said, I don't personally care if you do or do not watch the anime or read the manga, it's really inconsequential to my life.

Lmao, badass post

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

TenementFunster posted:

i already said the number

i'm here to post, not to read

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Life is short, watch what brings you joy!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I would really like for Sunrise to release the Gundam Witch from Mercury prologue already

i just want them to tell us who is directing and writing the show so i know how excited to be

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

with these exceptions:

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I have learned to simply not pay attention to anybody insisting a show gets better if you keep watching just a couple more episodes because 90% of the time it's coming from people who still liked the show enough to keep up with the early episodes in the fist place. I feel like it's almost always just based on a feeling of "surely if they get to THIS amazing moment then they'll come around on how great the show is!" rather than having any genuine reason to believe the person might actually come around on it.

Anyway I actually do think that Gurren Lagann gets astronomically better after a certain point, but most of my problems with the earlier episodes really came down to Kamina specifically and how insufferable he was early on. It really just depends on the person, if a person just flat-out doesn't care for any of the hot-blooded shounen mech fight stuff then I don't think "just wait until it gets even MORE hot-blooded!" is really all that enticing an advertisement, for instance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fluffdaddy posted:

Life is short, watch what brings you joy!

Don't believe this poster's lies

marumaru
May 20, 2013

no dude i swear it gets good 40-50 hours in

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol i thought i was exaggerating because i didnt remember the exact number but the ff13 meme is that it got good 35 hours in

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I watch TTGL up until like the last 3 episodes and then just stopped and never got around to finishing it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

good morning stair how are you doing

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

fair, imo

TTGL deffo suffered from overhype for me, having only watched it 3ish years ago I thought it was good enough but not something I’d ever reach for as a rec

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sb hermit posted:

I have never seen TTGL and do not intend to start anytime soon.

Same. It's not the show's fault of course but I used to post on a forum with the most aggressive, myopic anime fans who insulted everything I liked and watched back then like Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail. They would just insult everything that wasn't TTGL, JJBA, or One Piece and so I kinda grew an antipathy to those shows by extension.

Of course once I actually gave One Piece a shot I recognized how much better than any of the shows I liked back in 2010 were but oh well. I might do the same for TTGL someday. Some day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BlitznBurst posted:

I have learned to simply not pay attention to anybody insisting a show gets better if you keep watching just a couple more episodes because 90% of the time it's coming from people who still liked the show enough to keep up with the early episodes in the fist place. I feel like it's almost always just based on a feeling of "surely if they get to THIS amazing moment then they'll come around on how great the show is!" rather than having any genuine reason to believe the person might actually come around on it.

that's why I tried to frame it as "if you hate it it won't get better for you but if you kinda like it episode 8 is when it goes from good to great for most likers of the show"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

marumaru posted:

lol i thought i was exaggerating because i didnt remember the exact number but the ff13 meme is that it got good 35 hours in

First ff game I ever played and the only thing I took away from it was that the games make no sense and seemed weirdly geared towards the min mix super boss fights lovers.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

There are shows like Madoka that need 3 eps to get hooked, or two eps for school live, etc.

Might as well not watch those series if people are only going to watch one episode.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sb hermit posted:

There are shows like Madoka that need 3 eps to get hooked, or two eps for school live, etc.

Might as well not watch those series if people are only going to watch one episode.

Isn't 3 episodes 25% of Madoka? I have seen anime fans rave about it for years and I thought about checking it out but then I found out it isn't even a 26 episode anime. How do you do anything of note in 12 or 13 episodes? Most anime I watch, that's the beginning arc which is always the weakest part, but here it's the beginning, middle, and end of a whole, apparently quite compelling story.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't 3 episodes 25% of Madoka? I have seen anime fans rave about it for years and I thought about checking it out but then I found out it isn't even a 26 episode anime. How do you do anything of note in 12 or 13 episodes? Most anime I watch, that's the beginning arc which is always the weakest part, but here it's the beginning, middle, and end of a whole, apparently quite compelling story.

this is like asking how anybody can tell a story in a 90 minute movie

you just write a story that matches the time you have. simple as

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like it would be perfectly reasonable to make a good story that can fit into a 5 hour runtime.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you look at it the other way around, you could say that the first halves of 26 episode anime suck because they had more episodes than they knew what to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

A better way to think of that length is that it's like two movies and you can do plenty of note in one movie, nevermind two.

(This comparison is made easier by the fact that they literally did that though I'd still be saying it even if they didn't!)