Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck I'll even take that notion a step farther and say that there are plenty of anime movies out there where I think that they could have easily been padded out to a full tv series but are stronger for not doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't 3 episodes 25% of Madoka? I have seen anime fans rave about it for years and I thought about checking it out but then I found out it isn't even a 26 episode anime. How do you do anything of note in 12 or 13 episodes? Most anime I watch, that's the beginning arc which is always the weakest part, but here it's the beginning, middle, and end of a whole, apparently quite compelling story.

have you only ever watched 50 episode long shonen or something

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't 3 episodes 25% of Madoka? I have seen anime fans rave about it for years and I thought about checking it out but then I found out it isn't even a 26 episode anime. How do you do anything of note in 12 or 13 episodes? Most anime I watch, that's the beginning arc which is always the weakest part, but here it's the beginning, middle, and end of a whole, apparently quite compelling story.

It's very good, I finally watched it last year.

A half-hour episode is about 24 minutes without commercials, and maybe 20 or so minutes after opening and closing credits. So twelve eps gets you ~240 mins of content, and you can do quite a lot in four hours.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If we want to get all "nuanced" like lame people, we could say that a lot of anime are adaptations of long-running serialized stories that are started without an ending in mind and continue for as long as they're popular. And for those kinds of stories, it's definitely pretty common that the early chapters will be puttering around aimlessly until the writer finds their footing with some particular story arc or whatever. Even within that category though, the pacing will be very different for a manga adaption vs an LN adaptation because the length of a "unit of story" is different. A single LN volume tends to be at least 3 anime episodes, while a manga chapter might be half an episode or less.

Anyway, this is all to say that Madoka is not an adaptation so it can be exactly as long as it wants, no problem.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway gurren lagann's cool but it's extremely an old school hotblooded mecha anime story. whether you'll click with it depends on whether you're into that style of mecha. it's a good one of those but it's also tons of homage to other shows of that type and after watching more i don't think it's like, the most uniquely cool thing ever. but it's a p. good one

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

have you only ever watched 50 episode long shonen or something

I've seen a few 26 ep long anime like the Inuyasha sequel, Evangelion, Vandread, Trigun.... But these are most certainly the exception in my experience. And I don't recall any anime I've seen that had only 12 or 13 episodes. No wait, Haruhi was only that many episodes for its first season, right? I watched that back in 2010 or so to see what all the fuss was about and then forgot about it due to lack of impression.

I do expect an anime to be 50+ episodes based on the anime I've enjoyed in my life.

Agronox posted:

It's very good, I finally watched it last year.

A half-hour episode is about 24 minutes without commercials, and maybe 20 or so minutes after opening and closing credits. So twelve eps gets you ~240 mins of content, and you can do quite a lot in four hours.

Fair enough. I'm sure I'll try it someday.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 17, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

You can still get in quite a bit of worldbuilding before major plot points.

It's a bit like that movie, sixth sense, where things take a richer meaning when later context is applied.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I've seen a few 26 ep long anime like the Inuyasha sequel, Evangelion, Vandread, Trigun.... But these are most certainly the exception in my experience. And I don't recall any anime I've seen that had only 12 or 13 episodes. No wait, Haruhi was only that many episodes for its first season, right? I watched that back in 2010 or so to see what all the fuss was about and then forgot about it due to lack of impression.

I do expect an anime to be 50+ episodes based on the anime I've enjoyed in my life.

Most of the anime I've watched lately is only 12 or 13 episodes. I love slayers, cowboy bebop, nadesico, galaxy express, etc which had a lot of eps, but recent stuff like yurucamp, villainess, black lotus, dragon maid and flying witch are only 13 or so episodes long but certainly hold their own.

I feel that it's easier to adapt a lot of shorter stories than a few long ones.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
by the logic being put down nadesico and bebop are too short. if 50+ episodes is the norm for you then you really are just only watching specific kinds of shows, even lots of 50 episode shows start out shorter than that and only get longer because they get more seasons. it's not even as common to get a 26 episode season these days as it once was, 13 episodes has been the norm for years

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

13 - 26 episodes is the ideal show length imo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
anime should be shorter, imo
bring back the 3 to 6 episode ova

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everything Burrito posted:

THANK you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One cour is the ideal length

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh yeah, I did watch the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs.

sb hermit posted:

Most of the anime I've watched lately is only 12 or 13 episodes. I love slayers, cowboy bebop, nadesico, galaxy express, etc which had a lot of eps, but recent stuff like yurucamp, villainess, black lotus, dragon maid and flying witch are only 13 or so episodes long but certainly hold their own.

I feel that it's easier to adapt a lot of shorter stories than a few long ones.

The only "new" anime I've seen in years is My Hero Academia and Jujutsu Kaisen.

i've thought about trying Dragon Maid, I think it just got a new series or was getting one? I got this Funi subscription I only really use when I am in a certain mood or when new MHA or OP eps are dubbed.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

NikkolasKing posted:

I would like to introduce you to my good friend Planet With, anime of 12 episodes covering as much ground as at least double that, but still remaining good and comprehensible.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Some shows work as 12 episode, some works as 26 episode and some can use more or work as a movie or a short OAV.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

i've thought about trying Dragon Maid, I think it just got a new series or was getting one? I got this Funi subscription I only really use when I am in a certain mood or when new MHA or OP eps are dubbed.

The 2nd season of dragon maid came out last year and is more of the same ensemble cast with a new (albeit very divisive) main character and expanded storylines for everyone else.

Dragon maid gets the point across in 1 to 3 episodes. I would even say that its charm comes through in the first ep. If it doesn't hit by then, you should just skip it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the one divisive character in dragon maid

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the one divisive character in dragon maid

I would say a couple. But at least Kobayashi and Tohru and Emma are all super great.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I would say every anime is different. I wouldn't want more than say, a dozen episodes of Anohana, Orange, Astra: Lost in Space, etc. However for something that needs more world building, like Reincarnated as a Slime or Attack on Titan can use several seasons.

1 Cour with a sequel down the road is usually my fave though.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

NikkolasKing posted:

It's by having a short, compact story in the first place. Assuming you're going to need a couple episodes for introducing and setting up the story, and a couple episodes for the climax and epilogue, that still leaves 6-8 episodes to do all the in-between stuff. That's enough for a couple short arcs, and if the show has a clear idea of what story it wants to tell then that's often enough to feel complete.

Fitting the story to the number of episodes you have is pretty important, and the longer the episode count gets, the harder it is to get right. Even in 26-episode animes, it's not uncommon for the pacing to feel off at some point because they didn't quite have enough story to fill 26 episodes, so they have to drag things out or shoehorn in something extra to fill the time.

Madoka's pretty cleanly split into four three-episode arcs. One to set up the story and introduce things, one to set up some conflicts and develop the characters, one to start really driving home the drama and lay the groundwork for the big bads, and then a final arc to deal with the final bosses and challenges to wrap up the show.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
one cour tends to work really well for dramas because once the core premise of a drama is resolved it can be difficult or impossible to continue in a satisfying way. Whereas in an action show you can just keep making up new villains for as long as you please, or a comedy can just keep writing jokes forever

The successful two-cour dramas I can think of tended to accomplish it by having a massive turn at the halfway point where the initial drama is partially resolved and either new characters are introduced or previously-minor characters become more important as you learn that they're central to the now-modified premise. To the point where the second cour feels halfway to being a sequel

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Lmao, badass post

I just mean I'm not gonna try and argue them or anyone into watching anything. If someone's adamant that they're not interested in watching whatever then that's the end of the conversation as far as I'm concerned.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

netflix has been doing this, orbital children was 6 eps and vampire in the garden is 5 i think. i dunno how many people watch the straight-to-netflix anime though since they're pretty hit-or-miss even before they hide them behind a bunch of less appealing 3dcg shows

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah I have yet to see anything that looked like something I'd be interested in but I didn't realize they were making them that short. maybe eventually one won't suck.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

but yeah obviously any episode count is fine as long as you write and execute accordingly. when i got more heavily into tv anime a few years back i was avoiding shows longer than 2 cours becuase i wanted to catch up on as much stuff as quickly as possible, but as it turns out, the accumulated weight of a good 50-episode story e.g. the better gundam shows definitely feels satisfying in a different way than you can get from 25 episodes. on the other hand, something like flcl would wear out its schtick even at 12 episodes whereas 6 is perfect.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

I would say a couple. But at least Kobayashi and Tohru and Emma are all super great.

yeah.
kobayashi is definitely one of those animes that makes me go "yeah, i love it, but,"

i love tohru and i love kobayashi

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

netflix has been doing this, orbital children was 6 eps and vampire in the garden is 5 i think. i dunno how many people watch the straight-to-netflix anime though since they're pretty hit-or-miss even before they hide them behind a bunch of less appealing 3dcg shows

i distrust these just because the netflix tendency to release incomplete shows and then tack on parts later. sometimes it's more obvious than others that it's what they're doing

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Supremezero posted:

I would like to introduce you to my good friend Planet With, anime of 12 episodes covering as much ground as at least double that, but still remaining good and comprehensible.

yeah planet with is an incredible 12 ep run. moves at breakneck speed but never feels messy/incoherent

i do think more shows could use second cours than get them these days though. Back Arrow from last was kinda messy, but its weird ps2 rpg energy really benefited from having the episode count to do some really weird detours

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

Those kinds of plots are fine if the setting is comfortable with changing, but too often they're really lovely because they hamstring the stories you could tell by making the central plot a world ending threat.

it's a big reason why I refuse to ever watch s2 of psychopass lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i love the :3 maid in planet with

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway after i read Bloom Into You i was filled with great fury that the anime ends basically one or two episodes before the actual manga ends lol. what a weird place to stop.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
everyone watch teekyuu

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dogsicle posted:

i distrust these just because the netflix tendency to release incomplete shows and then tack on parts later. sometimes it's more obvious than others that it's what they're doing

these ones are more like chopped up movies so they're complete

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

everyone watch teekyuu
over 100 episodes? nice try

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

these ones are more like chopped up movies so they're complete

Heck with The Orbital Children it literally was that since it was two movies in Japan.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cheetah7071 posted:

i love the :3 maid in planet with

That was a good show, and Ginko is the best character.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

everyone watch teekyuu

Honestly having watched all of teekyu, you can probably just watch s1 of teekyu and skip the rest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you are about to invite the wrath here with these words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The official teekyuu analysis by your truly:

Julias posted:

Finally I have completed all 9 seasons of Teekyu, and with that my toxx is completed with a few hours to spare!

It's really obvious that Teekyu is meant to be enjoyed at a rate of 1 episode per week, and binging a bunch of them at once isn't really that fun. But even putting that aside, I feel like the concept looses quite a bit steam by the second season, and in s3 and especially s4, the episodes feel much less focused and cohesive, and way more "random" with regards to the ridiculous things happening on screen. S5 surprisingly gets a lot more focused again, and felt almost as enjoyable as s1 did. S6 and S7 were similarly about on par with S2. S8 was kind of all over the place, some eps feeling like S1 and S2, and others feeling like S4. It kind of averages out to a S3 in quality in that way. And lastly we get to S9, where suddenly we get an ED in addition to the OP! It actually really bops. But yeah S9 was about on par with S3, and ends rather suddenly with the characters wondering if they'll get a 10th season, and well, 3 years and 3 months later they still haven't, so it feels like Teekyu has finally retired.

Overall Teekyu ranking:

S1>S5>S6>S2>S7>S3>S9>S8>S4