Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

rantmo posted:

I've reached the point in my crafting journey where I find myself frequently capping out on crafting scripts. I don't have need of any gear so is there anything that converts to gil easily or something else worth spending them on?
If you can't think of anything else, crafting materia can fetch decent prices on the market board, even stuff lower than the newest tier, generally because max overmelds try to overcap as little as possible. You'd have to check the exact prices, but for lower tier materia, Craftsman's Cunning V and VII are popular. In current tier materia, Craftsman's Command IX is always going to be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sure isgreat to see another night of CCs MMR being bullshit

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

rantmo posted:

I've reached the point in my crafting journey where I find myself frequently capping out on crafting scripts. I don't have need of any gear so is there anything that converts to gil easily or something else worth spending them on?

If you haven't made one (or more) of the Heavensward Anima/relic weapons and there's even the tiniest chance you might in the future, I'd recommend picking up Blue Crafters' Scrip Tokens and/or the Gatherer version (if you're mixing the two, do it in batches of 5 since that's the turn-in amount). The Anima weapons are a huge Poetics sink, and using these tokens will reduce the cost of one of those steps from (at worst, there's some RNG) 11,250 Poetics to 4,500 Poetics and 150 tokens (3,750 Scrips).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Double post, but there's some news regarding FFXIV and Windows 7/Mac 32-bit.

They stopped supporting those a bit ago, but when 6.15 drops they're not going to be communicating with anything older than TLS1.2. Since those two OSs can't upgrade past TLS1.1, the game will be unplayable on them.

I don't think we have a date for 6.15 yet, but I wouldn't expect it to be too far out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The windows 10 update tool just crashes for me so I'm still on 7.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That one’s really on Windows for how they handle TLS compatibility. But sucks for those who stuck with 7 by choice or otherwise.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are obviously a lot of reasons to get off Win7 in 2022, but Windows 7 got TLS 1.2 support years ago :confused: (I remember because ages ago I had to make sure for a different software that wasn't using 1.0/1.1 anymore)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Onean posted:

If you haven't made one (or more) of the Heavensward Anima/relic weapons and there's even the tiniest chance you might in the future, I'd recommend picking up Blue Crafters' Scrip Tokens and/or the Gatherer version (if you're mixing the two, do it in batches of 5 since that's the turn-in amount). The Anima weapons are a huge Poetics sink, and using these tokens will reduce the cost of one of those steps from (at worst, there's some RNG) 11,250 Poetics to 4,500 Poetics and 150 tokens (3,750 Scrips).

Oh this is really helpful, because I am (very slowly) working through the Books of an Atma weapon so this will be useful eventually.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

orcane posted:

There are obviously a lot of reasons to get off Win7 in 2022, but Windows 7 got TLS 1.2 support years ago :confused: (I remember because ages ago I had to make sure for a different software that wasn't using 1.0/1.1 anymore)

Yeah that's a strange news post because TLS 1.2 is definitely available for Win7 and has been for a long time, though I forget if you need to explicitly enable it. It may have only been a recommended update rather than a required security update.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Thundarr posted:

Yeah that's a strange news post because TLS 1.2 is definitely available for Win7 and has been for a long time, though I forget if you need to explicitly enable it. It may have only been a recommended update rather than a required security update.

I had to make registry changes to enable it (was required to get the Windows 10 updater working).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If you're still on Windows 7 at this point, it's really time to stop thinking about updaters and just install your operating system over again.

Honestly, you should wipe your machine and reinstall the operating system once every year or so.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Wiping and reinstalling every year sounds like a lot of hassle compared to not doing that, which has worked fine for me for a decade now.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wiping and reinstalling every year sounds like a lot of hassle compared to not doing that, which has worked fine for me for a decade now.

You've used the same operating system for ten years?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

In-place upgrade from 7 to 10

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Qwertycoatl posted:

In-place upgrade from 7 to 10

Ahh gotcha, that makes sense.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hommando posted:

If I'm doing good damage I become the healer that will not hardcast raise. Swiftcast is for DPSing during movement and presence of mind is for casting hurt spells faster.

Are you doing more damage than what the debuffed party member would contribute? Will you do more damage in the 10 seconds it takes to cast than they will contribute going forward in the fight? The answer is no. The only reasons not to hardcast are: 1) it puts you in danger of dying to a mechanic--resolve the mechanic first; 2) it puts other party members at risk of dying--get them to the "won't die in 10 seconds" point before trying to cast.

These are the priorities I use when I'm playing SGE.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There's a happy medium between "reinstall every year" and "don't change for a decade" you know. You can do it every five years, for example. Or whenever you upgrade your motherboard or hard drive.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been using the same garbage programs to do the same garbage things for years so I'm not sure what starting fresh every 12 months would do. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, you should wipe your machine and reinstall the operating system once every year or so.

Haha, no.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I thought about doing that once due to some scares but since I have to upgrade every part of my PC I might as well just buy a new one (cause I'm a disaster with delicate pieces so I ain't building one, I don't mind paying the prebuilt tax).

And sooner than later since the graphics upgrade planned might not go well with my 970 at 2k...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was thinking about how 10 years doesn't seem THAT long but then I remember at work I have a 2012R2 server that barely works that I am yearning to scrap so I suddenly understand.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

sassassin posted:

I've been using the same garbage programs to do the same garbage things for years so I'm not sure what starting fresh every 12 months would do. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yeah I'd consider wiping if my system developed some issues that would be fixed by it, but I'm not going to do it on any kind of schedule just for shits and giggles

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

sassassin posted:

The problem is windows likes to break itself over time. It's like cancer but for computers.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I was thinking about how 10 years doesn't seem THAT long but then I remember at work I have a 2012R2 server that barely works that I am yearning to scrap so I suddenly understand.

One of the systems at work is straight out of the early 90s, text input/output only. Bright green text, and all. An international corp using ancient programs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hazardousmouse posted:

The problem is windows likes to break itself over time. It's like cancer but for computers.

I literally just did a fresh install after upgrading my mobo/processor and none of the screen/sleep poo poo works at all. Like, screen saver won't even save, every time I go in to check it's reverted to (none). Monitor won't turn off, computer never goes to sleep. There's some problems that seem to be caused by having an xbox controller plugged in but I've gone through just about every troubleshooting step I can find on the internet and still can't get the situation to resolve. It worked for 2 random days last week but damned if I know why.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

One of the systems at work is straight out of the early 90s, text input/output only. Bright green text, and all. An international corp using ancient programs.

That's probably AS400 and is more like 70s/80s tech.

I know a payment card vendor that has their backend still run entirely on that. But fintech is cheating in comparing old poo poo still in service.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My own PC is twelve years old at this point and is really struggling. Hopefully now that crypto is crashing I'll be able to afford parts.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

That's probably AS400 and is more like 70s/80s tech.

I know a payment card vendor that has their backend still run entirely on that. But fintech is cheating in comparing old poo poo still in service.

A lot of IBMs business is being able to sell super-expensive machines that can run stuff out of 70s along with modern stuff.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

was thinking of doing an NG+ run to refresh my memory on all the ARR/HW stuff I've forgotten since 2015 but starting with part 1 of ARR lacks the opening cutscene? I thought the whole point of NG+ was to be able to reexperience the story without using the unending journey.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The opening is probably a weird situation. Everything else works fine.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

My own PC is twelve years old at this point and is really struggling. Hopefully now that crypto is crashing I'll be able to afford parts.

:rubby:

Good luck. The only way my pandemic computer got finished was lucking into a 3080 when Nvidia was still selling FEs at MSRP.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I got my upgrades as a hand me down from a friend lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaggitz posted:

was thinking of doing an NG+ run to refresh my memory on all the ARR/HW stuff I've forgotten since 2015 but starting with part 1 of ARR lacks the opening cutscene? I thought the whole point of NG+ was to be able to reexperience the story without using the unending journey.

that's the only missing thing, probably because the idea of a cutscene that starts the instant you click the NG+ button was a technical can of worms

as a side-recommendation, ARR puts a lot of key cutscenes inside instances. I highly recommend unchecking the option to skip previously viewed instance cutscenes while you're in NG+ mode, or you'll have a lot more trips to the inn room

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

At my prior job with an international manufacturing company, among the systems I supported were some mills that ran off of DOS (German-language DOS!). And I got to figure out how to install network drivers on them, even.

Unfortunately there's lots of reasons why old OSes are still in use, and some of them are even reasonable (such as why pay in the high six figures to replace all these still-functional mills and their control software with the same, but runs on Windows instead). Not much reason nowadays to keep Win7 on a personal computer though, other than maybe on a VM to support a really finicky old program you can't do without.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Some of the systems I've used in various retail jobs were still DOS or Windows 98. poo poo is crazy.

My current job feels like the chrome future in comparison just by virtue of running on Windows 7.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

sassassin posted:

They could easily move the Machinist starter quests to Limsa Lominsa if they wanted to.

limsa already has all the cool stuff. gotta let the little guys have something imo

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do people even Melee in frontlines? Tried it as NIN and anytime I would jump in just ended in with me getting destroyed.

If you're talking about big fights, if you go in first you'll die (unless you're a pld/drk.) I mean, it's not super different from how PvP was before the last patch, except now you can't just fire off a ranged attack. As GNB I draw and junction from a tank so I can use Nebula, then I'll run in and throw out my lb (it's a little nuke,) immediately guard, then run back to safety, because there's no other way. It sucks for melee right now with all the damage people do and with Purify and Guard being kinda busted.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

finally i am free

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Warmachine posted:

:rubby:

Good luck. The only way my pandemic computer got finished was lucking into a 3080 when Nvidia was still selling FEs at MSRP.

Asus seems to have some stuff, which was how I got mine last year. Often they have pretty decent cards around, or good ones if you're willing to buy them bundled with something you don't want, which isn't great, but better than buying a bundle from a scalper.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
So I've been trying to follow advice for CC with DRK but uh...

I'm now at 45 wins out of 124 games. I'm losing 2 games for every 1 win still.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm even capable of doing better.

KoB
May 1, 2009
In a CC match, we wiped the team early and had a good push so I went to hit "nice Job" and accidentally hit 'Good Match' so I looked like a jerk and then we got wiped and pushed back to our first point.

Luckily we won so I wasnt also a big idiot who said good match and lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just how deep down does the elevator in Prae go if it’s long enough to have a monologue and full boss fight?