Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I thought Tuesday and Thursday was the email schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's Monday and (sometimes) Thursdays.

No email on my end. I think June's my only hope.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Loooool, so loving close for me apparently.
The rumor is the latest for US 512gb is 25:37 and I'm 25:51.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

JazzFlight posted:

Loooool, so loving close for me apparently.
The rumor is the latest for US 512gb is 25:37 and I'm 25:51.

Latest reported is that yeah.

I'm at 28:37 so it's Thursday, or next week for me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm about to write Gaben a stern email re: the status of my Steam Deck.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I must be a big dummy because I can’t figure this out. I got FFXIV all set up and it worked fine yesterday but they did an update today and I’m getting this screen

It’s a window that pops up over the game. If I go into desktop mode the I can select the second window with the game running just fine and the game is running behind it right now in gaming mode but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to switch off this screen lol

You should get a list of active windows when you press the Steam button, like it says; you can choose which one you want to get focus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

You should get a list of active windows when you press the Steam button, like it says; you can choose which one you want to get focus.

Is that maybe only on the beta? I’m not seeing anything about window switching with the current stable OS

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It only comes up when you have more than one window attached to an app.

Also a fun thing is that the deck will absolutely let you run >1 game at once, although it does prompt you about it before doing it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It only comes up when you have more than one window attached to an app.

Also a fun thing is that the deck will absolutely let you run >1 game at once, although it does prompt you about it before doing it

Ok well balls I followed all the steps on the site but it didn't say anything about attaching the FFXIV app to the launcher.

Weird.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TFW you realize you're elated because 512GB delivery minute moved by a whole 2 minutes and 19 seconds today instead of the 55s and 40s of the two days last week.

Deckbot says I'm a mere 4 minutes and 10 secs away from nirvana.

I'm not usually the type to go check on queues so well played, Steam Deck. It's mostly because I finally got around to Elden Ring and knowing I can play that decently on the Deck has me wanting it NOW.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well balls I followed all the steps on the site but it didn't say anything about attaching the FFXIV app to the launcher.

Weird.

I have to assume that it would happen automagically if it was working properly, since (I would think?) the only way for the steam OS to "know" what windows are associated with the game are because they're running in the same VM-- on a desktop, Steam thinks Elite Dangerous isn't running anymore when the launcher is closed because "the launcher" is the actual process it launches.

In this case I'd assume there's just some additional setting or file location in XIV launcher that needs to be set for it to find the game again and launch it after an update

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Figured out the dumb FFXIV issue.

Game runs great obviously and it looks like I’m getting a good 3.5 to 4 hours of battery life at 60fps.

I think once the 40hz update comes out I’ll run it at that.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

MarcusSA posted:

Figured out the dumb FFXIV issue.

Game runs great obviously and it looks like I’m getting a good 3.5 to 4 hours of battery life at 60fps.

I think once the 40hz update comes out I’ll run it at that.
I'm going to play it 100% like this, what extra steps did you have to do?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I prefer http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/

It's in the repos, there's a gui (f3-qt), and it does the job without fuss. If you have a fake card, f3 can also create a partition on it that represents the amount of storage it actually has.

Looks like the host is down right now but I'll check in on it later if I remember, thanks for the input!

Samopsa posted:

Man, about three weeks in and I love this thing. Basically great all around and getting significantly better with each update, and they're coming in fast.

Main use until now: hanging around the house playing dark souls, elden ring, platformers like Celeste and super meat boy, and some chill games like vampire survivors. Most with Spotify running as well, and frequently switching to chrome to look up stuff and browse.

It's also very nice to use as a YouTube-machine: larger screen compared to my phone and blocking ads is a big big plus.

The hardware is excellent and it's no problem to use for longer periods of time. I got the 256gb one with a 512gb sd card and i cannot tell any difference between them in terms of loading times, everything is smooth as hell.

Only two downsides so far: the fan is quite loud under stress (but really acceptable under light loads since the update), and in steamOS mode I frequently have trouble closing non-steam games/apps like chrome and such, requiring a quick reboot. Oh, and Bluetooth pairing is a hassle sometimes but that's not unique to the deck.

I would 100% recommend this thing instead of a gaming laptop if you want something to use on the couch. I did that for 10 years and now my laptop has been mostly gathering dust the past month!

I have a lot of the same thoughts as you. My one dilemma is figuring out exactly what I should play on the Deck; my Steam account is ancient and my library is ridiculous, but I can at least narrow the selection down to controller-specific games (in other words, I prefer playing FPSs with keyboard/mouse so I can just limit those to my desktop.) The other consideration though is if I have the games on other platforms; you mentioned Celeste, for example, which I already started playing on the Switch, which is a suitable platform for that game as it's lightweight (in terms of performance and storage.) Might as well limit the Deck games to ones that are more demanding.

I got the 512 version and installed a 1 TB card, which is mostly full; I absolutely don't have any performance issues with any games running off of the SD card, it's really quite transparent. I don't regret getting the 512 version even though I'm not currently using any of its local storage for games, but I do slightly regret the price premium for the relatively modest 512 GB SSD; if it used more ubiquitous 2280 drives then I could've just done the upgrade myself, but it's not like there's a huge selection of 2230 SSDs and that I could even find like a 1 or 2 TB drive to install.

The fan is definitely noticeable, but aside from it being rattly one day, it's mostly just a prominent "whoosh." My real curiosity about it however is why it's so active, or rather the Deck's under such a stressful load, when it's simply updating games. The fan is usually on when the system is doing nothing other than downloading at a modest 3 MB/s, which along with the associated file operations can't be that demanding for a modern system. And on top of that, with the performance stats displayed, it's actually mostly GPU activity, sometimes approaching 100%, with very low CPU activity during these game installs/patches. Anyone know why this would be the case?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Latching onto your post, I would love a filter for games that are not KBM-first. I really don't want to play a shooter on the Deck, but something like Hitman will be fine with my playstyle. It seems a lot of shooters are Deck verified.
Right now that's exactly what I am doing, sorting through my backlog and deciding on games that are better on controller anyway.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Has anybody tried using the Genki Covert dock with the Deck? I'm interested in getting a dock for my Deck (when it comes sometime in Q3) and since Valve doesn't seem to be exactly in a hurry to drop the official Deck dock I might as well see about getting a secondary more portable dock for my Switch in the process.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well Steam's had filters for controller support (partial and full) for awhile now and that's actually what I've used to narrow down what game to install on other handhelds (e.g. the Razer Edge.) Beyond that though, there's no easy way to figure out what games should be installed on the Deck versus other options, for the aforementioned reasons of performance, longevity, playability/control scheme, and storage considerations (i.e. it's easiest to manage storage on a PC, and the hardest on the Switch.)

And I forgot to mention this but with handhelds it becomes more than just "controller versus KBM" because there's the whole portability factor. So if I'm at home I'd rather play an FPS on the PC than a console, but being able to play the same game out of the house is an advantage despite the control scheme and perhaps performance limitations (say, for example, we're talking about the Doom reboots.) I actually installed Destiny 2 on the Deck (knowing that it won't currently run but likely will eventually) for another example since my brother started playing it again and I might join him if I could jump in while laying in bed or on the couch. All other things being equal, however, I'd absolutely prefer to play it on the PC. (I also installed Destiny 2 because I used the Backup & Restore feature to prepare currently installed games from my desktop and that was one of them, but the B&R feature doesn't work well yet that's a whole other story....)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Commander Keene posted:

Has anybody tried using the Genki Covert dock with the Deck? I'm interested in getting a dock for my Deck (when it comes sometime in Q3) and since Valve doesn't seem to be exactly in a hurry to drop the official Deck dock I might as well see about getting a secondary more portable dock for my Switch in the process.

It's made for the Switch so it outputs something like 40W, the Deck wants 65. When I use mine the Deck says that it's charging but slowly; I don't think the HDMI worked when I tried it but I didn't try too hard and Deck docking is a bit touchy since it's just "computer with an external output"

Deck does works fine with any generic USB-C laptop dongle, but the Switch is the odd duck so unless you find a dongle that claims to work with both the Switch and any laptop I think you're stuck in either/or territory if you only want to buy one.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

It's made for the Switch so it outputs something like 40W, the Deck wants 65. When I use mine the Deck says that it's charging but slowly; I don't think the HDMI worked when I tried it but I didn't try too hard and Deck docking is a bit touchy since it's just "computer with an external output"

Deck does works fine with any generic USB-C laptop dongle, but the Switch is the odd duck so unless you find a dongle that claims to work with both the Switch and any laptop I think you're stuck in either/or territory if you only want to buy one.

Anything capable of fast-charging Deck via USB C will charge Switch no problem, because it's USB PD2 or 3 compatible. Switch is not special at all, it's also USB-C PD standard. Deck just needs the 20V profile 4 which is 45W-100W to charge wile running. Switch uses the 15V profile.

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 17, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Atomizer posted:

Well Steam's had filters for controller support (partial and full) for awhile now and that's actually what I've used to narrow down what game to install on other handhelds (e.g. the Razer Edge.) Beyond that though, there's no easy way to figure out what games should be installed on the Deck versus other options, for the aforementioned reasons of performance, longevity, playability/control scheme, and storage considerations (i.e. it's easiest to manage storage on a PC, and the hardest on the Switch.)

And I forgot to mention this but with handhelds it becomes more than just "controller versus KBM" because there's the whole portability factor. So if I'm at home I'd rather play an FPS on the PC than a console, but being able to play the same game out of the house is an advantage despite the control scheme and perhaps performance limitations (say, for example, we're talking about the Doom reboots.) I actually installed Destiny 2 on the Deck (knowing that it won't currently run but likely will eventually) for another example since my brother started playing it again and I might join him if I could jump in while laying in bed or on the couch. All other things being equal, however, I'd absolutely prefer to play it on the PC. (I also installed Destiny 2 because I used the Backup & Restore feature to prepare currently installed games from my desktop and that was one of them, but the B&R feature doesn't work well yet that's a whole other story....)

poo poo, thanks for this, I could totally just copy over game files. This is just a PC running the PC version after all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vic posted:

Anything capable of fast-charging Deck via USB C will charge Switch no problem, because it's USB PD2 or 3 compatible. Switch is not special at all, it's also USB-C PD standard. Deck just needs the 20V profile 4 which is 45W-100W to charge wile running. Switch uses the 15V profile.

The Switch is special in the sense that it refuses to display with generic docks/dongles. You can certainly get a plug that charges both the Switch and the Deck, but you probably won't get one thing (right now, anyways) that you can plug into a TV and swap which console you have showing up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pretty sure the Genki dock will do that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The Switch is special in the sense that it refuses to display with generic docks/dongles. You can certainly get a plug that charges both the Switch and the Deck, but you probably won't get one thing (right now, anyways) that you can plug into a TV and swap which console you have showing up.

Switch absolutely works with generic docks/dongles, but the dongle (and the power brick) needs to be able to supply the 15V power profile for switch to start outputting HDMI mode (not DisplayPort or Thunderbolt) via USB-C 3. There's no proprietary nintendo stuff in the dock.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Had my 256 for a week or so and was messing around with emulators last night. This is gonna be my new portable PS1.

Weird thing though is that most of my regular steam games just don't launch any more. It pops up like it's launching, shows me controls, and then I'm back to the steam library. I've tried running under proton and still no luck. Guess it's a factory reset for me :-/

tensai fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 17, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

pretty sure the Genki dock will do that

because they literally built and advertised it as "for the switch", yes

Vic posted:

Switch absolutely works with generic docks/dongles, but the dongle (and the power brick) needs to be able to supply the 15V power profile for switch to start outputting HDMI mode (not DisplayPort or Thunderbolt) via USB-C 3. There's no proprietary nintendo stuff in the dock.

Not in the dock itself, no; in the Switch's recognition of "is this a valid HDMI out", absolutely yes.

quote:

- When connecting a dock-like device to the Switch’s USB-C port it calls on Nintendo Alternate Mode. That is looking for the vendor identity and product identity (VID/PID) of the connected device.
- If the VID/PID doesn’t match what the Switch is looking forward then it never moves on to DP Alt Mode, which is what allows for a video signal to pass through.
- The Nintendo Alt Mode prevents most third-party USB-C to HDMI adapters from working with the Switch, even if they support DP Alt Mode.
- The product verification process was cracked. Third-party docks marketed for the Switch are using this crack.

Generic (ie, "not advertised as for the Switch", bought from an Office Max with your laptop) dongles don't necessarily match "what the switch is looking for". It'd be great if they did, I've got like three of them I'd love to use instead of having "for nintendo switch only" crap laying around, but that isn't how Nintendo chose to implement their software layer so here we are. They all charge the switch just fine, but 0 of them trigger the "docked" mode on the switch itself.

Plenty of third parties do make dongles for the Switch but that's not what I mean when I say "generic".

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Not in the dock itself, no; in the Switch's recognition of "is this a valid HDMI out", absolutely yes.

Generic (ie, "not advertised as for the Switch", bought from an Office Max with your laptop) dongles don't necessarily match "what the switch is looking for". It'd be great if they did, I've got like three of them I'd love to use instead of having "for nintendo switch only" crap laying around, but that isn't how Nintendo chose to implement their software layer so here we are. They all charge the switch just fine, but 0 of them trigger the "docked" mode on the switch itself.

Plenty of third parties do make dongles for the Switch but that's not what I mean when I say "generic".

I did not know that, thanks! I've seen so many switch compatible dongles and portable monitors I assumed Nintendo wouldn't try to lock you out of using standard hardware protocols it's using anyway. How naive of me.

It's like needing approval for a walk in a public park.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I meant for steam deck also

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Anyone have any gamepad configs that they like for Project Zomboid?

It's at the top of my "games that run well on Deck but control like rear end" list.

On a related note, anyone have any slowish or turn-based strategy games that are working well for them?

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

tensai posted:

Had my 256 for a week or so and was messing around with emulators last night. This is gonna be my new portal PS1.

Weird thing though is that most of my regular steam games just don't launch any more. It pops up like it's launching, shows me controls, and then I'm back to the steam library. I've tried running under proton and still no luck. Guess it's a factory reset for me :-/

Search your library for the deck runtimes or smt and do the file check on them, ive heard that might help with poo poo like that.

Titanfall 2 is currently on sale for 4 € and change, I just got done with a playthrough and it ran just beautifully on the deck.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I meant for steam deck also

I'd only tried to use it to charge but hauled out a sufficiently long HDMI cable to verify; the Deck does not respect the Genki as an option for HDMI out.

I also tried with an apple-brand USB-C dongle for the sake of science, the Deck likewise complained about low power throughput despite the Deck's own power brick being connected so I assume there's something funky about low-power-for-unidentified-hardware going on in there since it's apple

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 17, 2022

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple has multiple different USB-C chargers, the versions that come with iPads are 18 or 20 W.

Looking at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700, most of the MacBook Pro (not Air) chargers are at least 67 W, except for the 2016 13" models which are only 61 W.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 17, 2022

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Did anyone bookmark the effortpost with the accessory recommendations? I'm missing it in my searches.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd only tried to use it to charge but hauled out a sufficiently long HDMI cable to verify; the Deck does not respect the Genki as an option for HDMI out.

I also tried with an apple-brand USB-C dongle for the sake of science, the Deck likewise complained about low power throughput despite the Deck's own power brick being connected so I assume there's something funky about low-power-for-unidentified-hardware going on in there since it's apple

Good to know!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

Apple has multiple different USB-C chargers, the versions that come with iPads are 18 or 20 W.

Looking at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700, most of the MacBook Pro (not Air) chargers are at least 67 W, except for the 2016 13" models which are only 61 W.

The odd thing being it's not the charger, just the dongle-- the brick plugged into it is still the official steam deck one.

e: I'd check with an apple brick to see if it's brick-to-dongle checking instead of dongle-to-computer, but the only one I have is from a 2015 macbook which is explicitly 30-35W iirc

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 17, 2022

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The odd thing being it's not the charger, just the dongle-- the brick plugged into it is still the official steam deck one.

e: I'd check with an apple brick to see if it's brick-to-dongle checking instead of dongle-to-computer, but the only one I have is from a 2015 macbook which is explicitly 30-35W iirc

Oh, by dongle you mean cable?

Cables also have to be rated for higher wattage otherwise they'll melt from the resistance heating.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Oh, by dongle you mean cable?

Cables also have to be rated for higher wattage otherwise they'll melt from the resistance heating.

Dongle

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yes the USB-C dongle also affects how much power is passed through to the device. I have a laptop that will not receive any power with its power adapter going through the standard Apple dongle but will with a cheapo KOOPMAN copy of the Apple dongle from amazon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have laid down my £4 blood sacrifice so that I might have a (64gb given how a friend said he never noticed a difference loading internal vs SD) Deck for Christmas.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was curious to see how demos would run on the deck and they seem to run fine (besides my defective deck's gpu issues). ran through the Supraland Six Inches Under demo with no issues.

one odd thing is that some games that have demos, don't have links to them in the SteamOS version of the store page even though they're available on the proper Steam store page. all that really means is you just have to go into desktop mode to install that way, I guess.

at some point I can throw up a list of demos of notable indie games if people want to test them out and see how they feel about playing them on the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i was curious to see how demos would run on the deck and they seem to run fine (besides my defective deck's gpu issues). ran through the Supraland Six Inches Under demo with no issues.

one odd thing is that some games that have demos, don't have links to them in the SteamOS version of the store page even though they're available on the proper Steam store page. all that really means is you just have to go into desktop mode to install that way, I guess.

at some point I can throw up a list of demos of notable indie games if people want to test them out and see how they feel about playing them on the deck.
I think the 2 hour return window made demos less appealing for devs, you can demo it without them having to make a special slice of stuff.