Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Replace Cody clock with a clock that ticks up showing you how much of your life you've wasted watching this trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Venomous posted:

I mean, that part always made sense to me: if he can't be like his father, the son of a plumber, the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes, then gently caress it, he'll embrace everything that's hosed up about America. The Rhodes family is now a royal family because gently caress you

basically, Cody became The Joker

It's simpler than that. He became Ric Flair. (The character, I mean)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Honestly, promoting Cody is one of the smarter things they're doing even if the Countdown to Cody is hilarious. Like he's actually pulling in viewers.

And after reading more on the situation, I'm now leaning on the side of this being a shoot and WWE being stupid and petty about what Sasha and Naomi did.

Now watch them have Toxic Attraction be the real women's tag champs.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Sports entertainer/wizard Jericho wishes he could come up with something as sports entertaining as the Cody Clock.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/_denisesalcedo/status/1526374397816107008?s=20&t=sbNG9cBl33ifNoXa-r0VxA

change my name to Countdown to Cody and make this my av please

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

blunt posted:

https://twitter.com/_denisesalcedo/status/1526374397816107008

Somebody who actually watches the show tell me if this is real or not?!

edit; it is! ??? !!!

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1526353247983869956

This is the exact type of poo poo that got him booed in AEW.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

JT Smiley posted:

This is the exact type of poo poo that got him booed in AEW.

What makes you think he has any creative control at all?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Elephant Ambush posted:

What makes you think he has any creative control at all?

I didn't say he did?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

whenever cody is not on the screen all the other characters should be asking "how much time is left on the cody clock?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://twitter.com/FightOwensFight/status/1526380475559907331

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It is a good that both MJF and Sasha Bank recognize and are using the leverage they have. Regardless of which company you prefer, its good to see workers regaining and using their power when valid competition exists.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Thanlis posted:

Definitely makes sense if he was willing to actually be a heel.

I think the name and that explanation worked very well when he was a bullet club member, heel foreigner in Japan. It makes less sense for a babyface.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1526573553554006019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re so loving lazy with every other part of their production I wonder why they even bother with the fake crowd noise.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is there some kind of recap on what exactly it was that made every fan of aew turn on Cody? I know about racism solved promo but is there more?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

Is there some kind of recap on what exactly it was that made every fan of aew turn on Cody? I know about racism solved promo but is there more?

Malakai Black was cool as gently caress and he’d have to have kicked an entire basket of puppies in the middle of the ring to get booed over Cody, and maybe not even then.

And it just stuck.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

He was acting like a heel, we thought he wanted to be booed 🤷‍♂️

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Regarding Sasha and Naomi, always side with labor. Sasha and Bayley pushed hard for Women's Tag Titles that they then had to drop to The IIconics, while entertaining in comedy stuff, didn't really elevate the belts. Again you have Sasha holding a belt that has been pretty important to her for the division as a whole and again you're told that the belts mean nothing for like the majority of the Summer, on top of having producers, allegedly, telling you that your attitude needs to be shifted.

Yeah gently caress it, walk out make your stand and statement. It just kinda sucks that Banks is a bit more secure in secondary career stuff than Naomi.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Naomi has been around since the FCW days, she might just be done and ready to do something else now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no one is done. people leave in wwf all the time.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Is there some kind of recap on what exactly it was that made every fan of aew turn on Cody?

i dont think anyone turned per se, he was just fun as hell to boo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Cody clearly wanted to be cheered, but he has an elevator where he rises between the heel and face tunnels, and then his wife comes from the heel tunnel and his manager comes out of the face tunnel. He also seemed like he wanted to be cheered which made it fun to boo him

Then by not wanting to be in the World Title picture, he was this weird gate keeper for new talent entering AEW. Which was polarizing, because the result was always "wow, Cody lost to that new guy?" or "I can't believe Cody buried that new guy!"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

not really, he only buried the absolute loserman Warhorse, everyone else got the shine

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The on TV breaking point was when Brandi cut an explicitly heel promo on Lambert/ATT that was received as bad as the Nightmare Collective.

The overall evaluation of what went on seems to be that when Cody signed on with AEW, he was under the impression he would not just have his own creative control, but would be a head booker for AEW. This led him to do the stipulation that he can never challenge for the world title so that he can be seen as fair and not putting himself over everyone Jeff Jarrett style.

Tony had never intended to make Cody head booker and basically let his stories exist in a vacuum with Cody having creative power.

Cody had been hinting at a heel turn on screen, teasing the pedigree in ring and "accidentally" walking towards the heel tunnel, but was apparently adamantly against it backstage. The Brandi promo seems to be the breaking point, as it was explicitly a heel promo and caused further conflict between Tony and Cody over his alignment, leading to him leaving.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Cody was part of the dumbest stuff in AEW, for good and bad. Arn Anderson showing up to his house and burning clothes in a barrel? Dumb in the best way. Cody trying to frame a match with a British guy as a "USA is the best!" thing? Dumb in the worst way.

As time went on that lever started going way more towards "dumb bad" and he sucked up a lot of TV time that could have been better spent on pretty much anyone else. All the while he seemed to kind of stagnate as a performer while the other Day One AEW wrestlers were growing by leaps and bounds.

His matches were pretty consistently good, though, although I think he won a bit more than he should have.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A lot of people just got bored of his act and his segments/stories tended to drag on and feel less exciting compared to the other very exciting programs on the show. The Ogogo feud was pretty bad because they tried to turn it into USA vs UK where USA is the good guy but nobody really wanted to buy into that, especially when the feud was literally never about that to begin with. He'd always seem to win either the majority of the feud or the final blow-off which left a bad taste in people's mouths. He beat Pentagon when it would have been much cooler for Penta to win. He did lost to Malakai Black (I think twice?), but then came back and beat him to finish the feud. I believe he also beat Andrade which I guess was probably fine in the long run, but again – would have been much cooler if Andrade won.

Much of his material was pretty far from what everyone else in AEW was doing and he clearly has a love for more southern style and "sports entertainment" style than anyone else, which again is kind of cool in that he's giving something unique that no one else on the show is giving but it was often hit or miss.

I think overall, people maybe got tired of a similar shtick happening with each feud. Maybe the best comparison is John Cena in WWE, but at like 10x speed. People enjoyed him for a while, but then he just seemed to always win in the end and nothing really seemed to matter or have any consequence so people (maybe) started to get bored or at the least, a little frustrated. It also didn't help that everyone he would wrestle or feud with (Penta, Malakai, Andrade) was much cooler than him but he was supposed to be the babyface.

For me, I was just getting a little bored with him but didn't outright hate him or dislike him or anything. He was always very cheesy and over the top which can go both ways very easily depending on how far you push it.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cody is great and was great, and keeps winning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

Cody is great and was great, and keeps winning

agreed op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
codys last promo and match were just great, imo

i think punks return also broke him a little (a lot)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Cody was also like a .7 on the Matt Stryker scale with the constant winks and nudges and cramming in weird quasi-shoot references anywhere he could

like lol, remember his final rambling AEW in-ring promo, he was like "Brody King, you got some nerve calling yourself BRODIE *glares at camera and pauses for crowd reaction*"

e:

graph posted:

lol... well ppl here were weirdly positive on that promo but i always hated it!!!

going back further though I remember his weird "invisible wall" promo when feuding with Jericho and it just felt out-of-place and shooty for the sake of being shooty

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I maintain if Cody had turned heel he would've probably have gotten bigger cheers than when he was a face

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Cody was playing a corny 1980's bleached blonde Babyface in 2020 and his main feud that summer was extremely tone deaf. Not to mention the personal elevator, three pregnancy announcement, the gender reveal, the ending racism promo, and the unironic Homelander gear.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
so, if sasha & naomi walked out, and could possibly be done with wwe. also, jeff hardy walked out.

....basically, this kinda makes ali out to be a chump.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

so, if sasha & naomi walked out, and could possibly be done with wwe. also, jeff hardy walked out.

I got screamed at for saying this back
when Ali was whining on twitter and called all kinds of names for it for suggesting he do exactly what Jeff and maybe Sasha and Naomi did, just like my hero Cody time is on my side.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Literally everyone who publicly asks for release gets denied. It genuinely the worst way to get out of your contract.

The ways that seem to work are just waking out like Hardy and Toni Storm, or doing was Zelina Vega did when she tweeted "I support unionization" and was fired within the hour.

Ali did the dumb thing and will be held in limbo or bad angles like Brodie Lee was for another couple years. Sasha will either get her release or a push.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Ali's doesn't have the leverage of Jeff Hardy or Sasha Banks.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Ali's doesn't have the leverage of Jeff Hardy or Sasha Banks.

You don’t need leverage to tweet “Vince McMahon is a stupid bitch” or “wrestlers should unionize” and get fired instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

graph posted:

It’s still very funny to me that CM Punk said Cody’s initial outreach to him for AEW was unprofessional and then Cody said “I wouldn’t be surprised if CM Punk goes back to WWE”, which in hindsight just feels like Cody was trying to keep Punk away