Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ginette Reno posted:

Rossi was apparently talking all kinds of poo poo on twitter:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1526312713483345923?s=20&t=FNIMaIARb07D4oWhPooMGg

https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/status/1526315870779236354?s=20&t=FNIMaIARb07D4oWhPooMGg

The contract stuff may be true. I don't know that I believe the bit about Crosby. Pretty sure if he wanted to play game 6 he would have.

I always figured they're gonna go for it every year as long as Crosby still can play but uh if this is the approach they may as well go full nuclear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I always figured they're gonna go for it every year as long as Crosby still can play but uh if this is the approach they may as well go full nuclear?

As others have pointed out it is coming from Rob Rossi who is like our Larry Brooks. He has connections and hears things but he's also extremely inflammatory and stretches the truth.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's still 22 hours to get in on round 2's red Xes. This round includes a guess for total penalty minutes in the second round.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000767&pagenumber=6#lastpost

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ginette Reno posted:

As others have pointed out it is coming from Rob Rossi who is like our Larry Brooks. He has connections and hears things but he's also extremely inflammatory and stretches the truth.

ah okay that makes sense thanks

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ginette Reno posted:

The Fan posted the clip when Rossi says it was Hextall and Rossi comes off as such a sleaze.

https://twitter.com/937theFan/status/1526371592414105601?s=20&t=_U97CIo1dvYC0wAGtQK6zg

"He's told no by the general manager."
"Hextall told him he wasn't allowed to play?"
"Yeah the Penguins told him."
"And you were told it was specifically that it was Hextall"
"Well that would be the general manager making the case, I'm not saying it was Hextall only decision"

Meanwhile he's spinning the narrative that Hextall and the ownership are clashing :jerkbag:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It sounds a great deal like he is making poo poo up based on the kind of guesses anyone can make (such as "Burke/Hextall were the previous owner's guys and probably won't stay long under the new owner", "Crosby wanted to play Game 6/7 despite being obviously hotbrained", and "Crosby isn't happy the Pens refused to pay his BFF Letang all the money") so he can claim credit for having Super Connected Sources when in fact he is just guessing and trying to take a hatchet to Hextall, presumably for telling him to gently caress off one too many times.

But that would be so out of character for him.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Marner got carjacked because he drove a nice car
https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/1526381682944786432?t=Zoto8RmSlp_ahMF8My8pbg&s=19

Just another kick to the balls of the buds.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
poo poo hatchet job too. Hextall's biggest thing in Philly was running a super tight ship without leaks and also being super controlling over it. If you're going to say someone was blab mouthing you gotta pick Burk'ie.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Feeling sorry for Mitch, that’s horrible :(

As someone who grew up in Etobicoke, I can say I choose to live downtown because that place loving sucks. It’s where to go if you want a giant house with nice surroundings though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Selke runner-ups this year are Barkov and Lindholm

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OtherNHLCrosby/status/1526577602256830464?s=20&t=lB7sX1y8gjxHQewvY6YcIQ

Was nice knowin ya Rusty. Thanks for the big goals in the cup runs.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 17, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They have Guentzel for 2 more years and then he'll be a 30 year old UFA too. Can't believe he's 27 already, gods I'm getting old. But at not quite 30 with his track record, particularly of pouring in goals in the playoffs, he is going to get a gargantuan contract, like 8x9 or something.

If they get in the tank this summer or next you have to figure he'll be traded. They can probably get a massive haul for him at the 2024 deadline, he's like the ideal deadline rental.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 17, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bergeron is a Selke finalist for the 11th year in a row, which breaks a Gretzky record (most consecutive years as a finalist for any award - not super exciting). The more staggering stat I saw was that Bergeron has been listed on 92% of all ballots cast for the award in that time period. They should name the trophy after him instead.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Alizee posted:

Dubas talk

Yeah, I think you can do a lot worse than someone like Dubas and I think too many people forget how bad Lou, and Nonis before him, were. That being said giving Trotz all the money in the world seems to be the obvious descision

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
It would be hilarious if Boston replaced Bergeron by trading for Scheifele.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koth posted:

It would be hilarious if Boston replaced Bergeron by trading for Scheifele.

I mean, depending on what they gave up I'd be fine with that. If Bergeron we're to retire right now, Boston's first line center would be Erik Haula or Charlie Coyle. They don't have a prospect they can plug in, and the best pending free agents are probably like Trocheck or Kadri. A trade is the only real option if Bergeron decides to hang em up.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean, depending on what they gave up I'd be fine with that. If Bergeron we're to retire right now, Boston's first line center would be Erik Haula or Charlie Coyle. They don't have a prospect they can plug in, and the best pending free agents are probably like Trocheck or Kadri. A trade is the only real option if Bergeron decides to hang em up.

So, you're saying Boston has the center depth of the 2014 Minnesota Wild.

I did like the way they played, but neither one is a 1st line center and you're right about it being really sparse on the market. Coyle will do a good impression of it at least, but you won't get more than maybe 40-50pts out of him.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

I hope he gets paid and does very well... elsewhere.

Edit: I think this summer Pittsburgh should do everything absolutely possible to not become a mess like Chicago. They've done very very well of having very few bad contracts. A few that aren't good value or questionable like Matheson, but otherwise nothing toxic on the books. After this UFA period though that may no longer be the case or their hand is forced and the team is priced out of their players anyways.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 17, 2022

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kadri take another hometown discount and be future-LW John Tavares’ new centre challenge

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jhet posted:

So, you're saying Boston has the center depth of the 2014 Minnesota Wild.

I did like the way they played, but neither one is a 1st line center and you're right about it being really sparse on the market. Coyle will do a good impression of it at least, but you won't get more than maybe 40-50pts out of him.

Ya pretty much. Boston was spoiled for a decade + with Bergeron and Krejci on cheap deals. But now their time is over, or nearly over, and being a constant contender meant they traded a lot of firsts around too. There are decent center prospects in the system but they seem more like bottom six guys at best.

Haula is actually the better of the two. Coyle can't even do a good #2 impression anymore. He's fine in his 3rd like role but he couldn't score even when he got to play with Hall and Pastrnak, which is kind of astonishing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Kadri take another hometown discount and be future-LW John Tavares’ new centre challenge

Have a heart, the guy only just got out of Toronto.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I hope he gets paid and does very well... elsewhere.

Edit: I think this summer Pittsburgh should do everything absolutely possible to not become a mess like Chicago. They've done very very well of having very few bad contracts. A few that aren't good value or questionable like Matheson, but otherwise nothing toxic on the books. After this UFA period though that may no longer be the case or their hand is forced and the team is priced out of their players anyways.

Matheson's fine in terms of his cap hit. It's the length that really sucks. I actually don't mind their cap situation. For an old team, they haven't really handed out too many egregious contracts. The Carter contract is meh, but not a huge cap hit or super long length so whatever. Zucker is a little overpaid and they need more out of him or to move him if possible. Kapanen sucks but I'm sure they'll move on from him or give him a prove it deal. Dumoulin is declining but is probably still more or less worth what he makes. He's also definitely tradeable I think if they decide to move on.

I think they're actually decently setup for the next while in terms of contracts. There's nothing that is really going to weigh them down for years to come. They can probably avoid being Chicago assuming their stars don't suddenly fall off a cliff and assuming they manage their cap situation.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Speaking of Dumo https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1526606367464767490

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God if he comes back even slower

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1526614546001149952?s=20&t=M26r0kUCQ1SLEUiddoxggA

There it is, the most “we’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas” front office in the NHL

e:

https://twitter.com/draglikepull/status/1526616036870701056?s=20&t=M26r0kUCQ1SLEUiddoxggA

The only person blaming the goalie this year (and I was very critical of Andersen in his time here) might be Kyle Dubas? I’m still betting they sign Jack because… what else have they got

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 17, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You want to see something gross?

.... are you totally sure?

Well, okay, I warned you.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1526616075332370433

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

why would you post that

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

why would you post that

Why would I watch Toronto Maple Leafs playoff hockey?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1526614546001149952?s=20&t=M26r0kUCQ1SLEUiddoxggA

There it is, the most “we’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas” front office in the NHL

e:

https://twitter.com/draglikepull/status/1526616036870701056?s=20&t=M26r0kUCQ1SLEUiddoxggA

The only person blaming the goalie this year (and I was very critical of Andersen in his time here) might be Kyle Dubas? I’m still betting they sign Jack because… what else have they got

"we're not gonna make a move just to make a move. We're gonna make a move because our team flamed out of the first round of the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season and at some point it becomes the definition of stupidity to go back with the same group again."

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya pretty much. Boston was spoiled for a decade + with Bergeron and Krejci on cheap deals. But now their time is over, or nearly over, and being a constant contender meant they traded a lot of firsts around too. There are decent center prospects in the system but they seem more like bottom six guys at best.

Haula is actually the better of the two. Coyle can't even do a good #2 impression anymore. He's fine in his 3rd like role but he couldn't score even when he got to play with Hall and Pastrnak, which is kind of astonishing.

Haula joining gave Minnesota 3 Finnish centers all at the same time. It was absurd. He was good at UMN and had some really good progress before having a great first season in Vegas. Then 4 years of injuries. He never quite had the finish (lols) that Grandlund had, but I was disappointed when he got taken in the expansion draft. I would have liked to see how he'd progressed in Minnesota, but Eriksson Ek was on the way into the team and the team had like 11 centers and 3 actual wings. I hope Haula stays healthy for a while, he's fun to watch.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Jack Campbell wasn't the reason they lost but he wasn't particularly good in that series either, he has less than a calendar year of looking like a good starter and he's already in his 30's. You go back to him if he's cheap and you can't find something better.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

If you thought Eberle or Greiss got a warm welcome when they came back to UBS, just wait until the next time the Jets come through. No way Trotzy's getting the Tavares treatment.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

2020 play-in round:

Game 4 the Leafs go down 3-0 to Columbus, almost being knocked out before a huge rally in the third for an OT win.

Game 5 the Leafs go down 3-0, never scoring.

2021 round 1:

Up 3-1 in the series, the Leafs go down 2-0 to start both games 5 and 6, coming back but losing in OT both times. They start down 2-0 once again in game 7 and can’t come back, only scoring one goal.

2022 round 1:

The Leafs go down at least 2-0 to start games 4, 5, and 6, managing a comeback once. In game 7 the Leafs only start down 1-0, but once again they can only manage to score once and they lose 2-1.

The Leafs haven’t scored first in an elimination game since 2019. They’ve started down multiple goals before scoring in every game in that span except for Saturday.

Management and fans say there’s no pattern here, that the team is different and there does not need to be a change in personnel and approach.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Mark Scheifele has 18 goals in 33 playoff games. Mitch Mariner has 7 in 39. Maybe they both need a change of scenery

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Mark Scheifele has 18 goals in 33 playoff games. Mitch Mariner has 7 in 39. Maybe they both need a change of scenery

Counterpoint: Scheifele is a fake tough guy dickhead who’d probably just get himself suspended Kadri-style

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg with Trotz would be interesting. They have enough talent there that they could probably be a consistent playoff team with a good coach.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Management and fans say there’s no pattern here, that the team is different and there does not need to be a change in personnel and approach.

I feel like Leafs fans have so little frame of reference for what a good team is in the salary cap world that it's paralyzing them with inertia. Sometimes you gotta be bold to get over the hump. The Canucks had bad goaltending their entire history so acquired Luongo and now they are a franchise goalie factory. Chicago added Hossa to their young core. Pittsburgh added Kessel and won two cups.

Maybe things will be better next year if nothing changes, but when you're at the point when the general fan consensus is "nothing that happens in the regular season matters" it's time to get aggressive.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I feel like Leafs fans have so little frame of reference for what a good team is in the salary cap world that it's paralyzing them with inertia. Sometimes you gotta be bold to get over the hump. The Canucks had bad goaltending their entire history so acquired Luongo and now they are a franchise goalie factory. Chicago added Hossa to their young core. Pittsburgh added Kessel and won two cups.

Maybe things will be better next year if nothing changes, but when you're at the point when the general fan consensus is "nothing that happens in the regular season matters" it's time to get aggressive.

Part of what bothers me about Dubas and Shanahan's comments today is that obviously nobody thinks they just need to blow up the team for no benefit. Even at my craziest I'm not out here like "trade Marner for picks and sign Nick Paul and Bryan Rust." But at the same time it's absurd to me that people can look at how consistently they've been ineffectual as series go late and think that bounces are the only issue here, there's obvious systemic reasons why the Leafs get locked down and counterpunched by every team they play.

I do agree that fans get comfortable with players and there's a lot of clutching with respect to this team, fact is that most guys should look good next to the Leafs core and it doesn't make them valuable or irreplaceable. People were incensed when the Leafs signed Bunting and didn't sign Galchenyuk last year, people defended Holl as a legitimate top-4 guy, they fell in love with Kerfoot for riding Nylander's coattails in the Montreal series. IMO there's a lot of guys you could ship off this roster and replace pretty readily. But most of all I'd still like to see what they can do with a coach whose systems don't promote the most dangerous chances against while limiting his own offence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodie and Holl had pretty much the best 5v5 defensive rate metrics (xGA, SCA, Fenwick against) of Leafs D in the playoffs. You can probably guess that Rielly + Lyubushkin were terribad. Holl's scoring chance against metrics were also very good at 4v5 whereas Brodie's were... not.

Maybe we all owe Justin Holl an apology?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2022