Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I looked up my grandparent's little town in north-central Kansas and everything that's turn-key livable is around $200k. The little towns with real jobs (e.g. a hospital or prison) are around $300k. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

WV will give you money to move there if you're a computer toucher.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

External Organs posted:

Not even West Virginia is free of this bubble.

Note: house is uninhabitable.

How much land is in that lot? 250k would be a good deal if it were like 3000acres or something.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Everyone Zillow your childhood home
Mine: $289,500 for a 4 bedroom ranch in a town mostly known for meth

~$720k for 3bd 2ba 2k square feet with a moderate yard (lot just under 1/4 acre) in an old PDX suburb (right where the county lines start to get blurry)

my parents sold it for $180k in 1998 lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How much land is in that lot? 250k would be a good deal if it were like 3000acres or something.

Just checked, it's 30 acres.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a mortgage at 2.875% with US bank, and they sent me a letter advertising a new 30 year mortgage at 5.5 lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1526625530136694784

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I, too, believe in the insulative power of pit house supremacy.

Make that roof into a deck with trellis, and you'd be GOLDEN.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

External Organs posted:

Just checked, it's 30 acres.

Not bad. It's not a good deal, but you are obviously buying it for the land, not the remnants of the house on the land. Whether 250k for 30 acres of land in WV is worth it, I can't say.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

err posted:

Is there any place in the PNW where things are cheaper?

East Oregon obviously has some semi reasonable places to buy, but as everyone mentioned It's CHUD land and you're out in the sticks away from everyone. Also you'll probably need to have a remote/WFH job since I highly doubt there is any form of "tech" jobs there minus what you'd see in gov't or hospital/public service sector... and I doubt that there's more than a handful of those jobs even in existance.

The area around Pendleton Oregon is beautiful, you're a semi short drive away from the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest which has some incredible hiking, and the Columbia River is only one town away (not that you can really do much in it, because Hermiston Oregon sucks).

So unless you love being isolated in your house and literally only going out to get groceries/stuff early in the morning before people rise, the places that are worth living in Oregon are going to be insanely priced.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Not bad. It's not a good deal, but you are obviously buying it for the land, not the remnants of the house on the land. Whether 250k for 30 acres of land in WV is worth it, I can't say.

I can!!!
It's not. they also don't say how much is just scrabbly mountainside. flat ground is a real commodity round these parts.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

utility must be insanely cheap, this is a steal

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

I'm imagining a Batman villain just loving lounging in there with some fancy name brand sweatpants they saw on Instagram

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

yeah that's a great price lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Lastgirl posted:

yes

in fact, I'm told that the house is half off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol how much rain does deer creek get

standing water in the realtor photos lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A real missed opportunity to advertise it as "tornado resistant"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Nothus posted:

A real missed opportunity to advertise it as "tornado resistant"

Seems like a real gamer min-max scenario with the flood threat and all.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
that just looks like a house that got blown away and the owner just said "gently caress it" and put down a flat roof over the basement

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Peanut President posted:

that just looks like a house that got blown away and the owner just said "gently caress it" and put down a flat roof over the basement

People used to (or maybe still do?) build like that when they couldn't get together enough money for a house but could afford the land. They build and finish a basement, put a temporary roof on it, and then start saving up for the rest of the house.

I've seen it a few times growing up in a rural part of the country where land was cheap and rentals were uncommon.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

euphronius posted:

Detroit to Toronto is only 230 miles so …. you’d save money by living in Detroit and commuting

You can take the tunnel bus to the train station!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nice and hot piss posted:

East Oregon obviously has some semi reasonable places to buy, but as everyone mentioned It's CHUD land and you're out in the sticks away from everyone. Also you'll probably need to have a remote/WFH job since I highly doubt there is any form of "tech" jobs there minus what you'd see in gov't or hospital/public service sector... and I doubt that there's more than a handful of those jobs even in existance.

The area around Pendleton Oregon is beautiful, you're a semi short drive away from the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest which has some incredible hiking, and the Columbia River is only one town away (not that you can really do much in it, because Hermiston Oregon sucks).

So unless you love being isolated in your house and literally only going out to get groceries/stuff early in the morning before people rise, the places that are worth living in Oregon are going to be insanely priced.

My mom would laugh so hard if she knew yuppies techbro scumbags were moving to the towns out there she spent her whole young adult life trying to get the gently caress out of

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rural Illinois is full of weird treasures. Lots of them seemingly affordable. Then the small town taxes kick in and you're paying more to the city and county than the bank on your mortgage payment.

There's a house west of Kankakee that has a grass roof. I can't find any pictures of it, despite being a local oddity. Concrete shell filled with dirt that connects the yard to the roof. An overhead aerial just shows a yard with a chimney and a wood framed garage next to it.

But there are loving cheap houses there. Completely liveable, almost certainly dated, some within reasonable distances from small cities. Even housing in some small cities is still reasonably affordable.

Example of weirdness:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24679-Empire-Ave-Sterling-IL-61081/84845550_zpid/

$85k.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
you reminded me of a house in rural indiana surrounded by cornfields that's built into a hill:

just up state road 65 from cynthiana, for any curious

edit: it's assessed at 174 grand but idk who'd pay that for it

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 01:57 on May 18, 2022

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Honestly if the foundation is in good shape and they ran plumbing, electrical and sewage already that seems like a pretty good deal. Just build a house on top!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I cannot imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to fix a leak in the middle of a grass roof like that. Illinois and Indiana seem like silly loving places to build that style earthen house just from the spring rains.

I get and love earthships, but those tend to be in loosely regulated counties throughout the southwest, not in the cornfields of the midwest.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Peanut President posted:

you reminded me of a house in rural indiana surrounded by cornfields that's built into a hill:

just up state road 65 from cynthiana, for any curious

edit: it's assessed at 174 grand but idk who'd pay that for it

I love it, I'll take it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

gently caress, I gotta mow my roof again. I hate late spring!!!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's pretty cool until someone runs off the roof not realizing where it ends. Pretty OSHA rear end lawn though.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I cannot imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to fix a leak in the middle of a grass roof like that. Illinois and Indiana seem like silly loving places to build that style earthen house just from the spring rains.

I get and love earthships, but those tend to be in loosely regulated counties throughout the southwest, not in the cornfields of the midwest.

There’s a building at the zoo in Seattle with a grass roof that seems to work pretty well, however

quote:

A vegetated roof system on the large curved upper roof (approximately 8000 square feet, measures 116' long and 69' wide, and slopes gradually along a 225' radius from 0:12 to 3:12 at the low edge on the east side of the roof). The added cost of the green roof and related structural requirements over a conventional roof was $241,668.

I’m guessing those people didn’t spend the extra quarter mil to do it properly.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I'm looking at paying 175k for a glorified mobile home, I would love an underground home. Do you know how much you save on heating and cooling when you use the natural ambient temperature underground for regulation? Also I think a green roof is only that expensive if you're doing it on a normal house frame that needs extra structural support for the extra weight on the walls.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hell yeah

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Illinois is a weird place. Set zillow to top out at $100k and have an evening of salmon pink toilets, shag carpet and wood paneling.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

In this house, it's 1971 forever

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Illinois is a weird place. Set zillow to top out at $100k and have an evening of salmon pink toilets, shag carpet and wood paneling.

you can change these things yourself !

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ive seen one of these!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Yeah I play minecraft.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

my ancestral lands are worth a cool 450k now, one acre and the people who bought it from my parents added 800 sq ft making the house a whopping 2200 sq ft
my parents sold it for roughly 100k in '02 (which was enough to buy two different houses), so roughly 300% inflation in 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

External Organs posted:

Not even West Virginia is free of this bubble.

Note: house is uninhabitable.

this is a great house to get murdered in