Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Flashback to Howard at the dmv being told that the "namaste" custom license plate is already taken in new mexico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

maybe i missed something but i dont really see why the judge having a broken arm messes with their plan because i can only picture howard flipping out and trying to prove the judge is faking his broken arm by physically grabbing his arm and looking like a nutcase

or at least it makes me laugh thinking that would be how it would go down

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

maybe i missed something but i dont really see why the judge having a broken arm messes with their plan because i can only picture howard flipping out and trying to prove the judge is faking his broken arm by physically grabbing his arm and looking like a nutcase

or at least it makes me laugh thinking that would be how it would go down

They took fake photos of the judge taking a bribe from Jimmy, and the fake judge's arm isn't broken in those photos.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Takanago posted:

Flashback to Howard at the dmv being told that the "namaste" custom license plate is already taken in new mexico

:lmao:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

withak posted:

Next episode will be 100% flashback showing all of the very terrible things that Howard has done in his life both personally and professionally.

Almond milk in the coffee. That's a one way ticket to the Bad Place.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

They took fake photos of the judge taking a bribe from Jimmy, and the fake judge's arm isn't broken in those photos.

i mean i got that, its just that it doesnt really strike me as throwing a wrench in the works

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

The cut from Kim and Jimmy kissing to an axe literally splitting something in two was pretty ominous.

Layers and layers :aaa:

massive spider posted:

I don’t think kims mother is a con-woman, she just doesn’t give a poo poo about shoplifting. Many people do but is not exactly a con.

It wasn't just the shoplifting, it was the whole song and dance about making her pay for it out of her allowance and pretending to try and pay for the earrings anyway and bad cop'ing her daughter so hard the store manager just lets them go. At that point I think you can safely consider it a con.

Golden Bee posted:

Better was the shot of the guy peeing —->>> the shot of the laundry being released.

I'm forever haunted by that cut in The Sopranos where they smash from implied gay sex to a model train entering a tunnel :zaurg:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

it is seen being taken out when the feds empty his house. obviously that doesn't preclude him from having copied the info down elsewhere, but he does not have the book. and yeah we're to infer that is how he is introduced to some of shady contacts in BB.

It's definitely the kind of thing I would want to take if I were going in to hiding from the law and/or cartel. Maybe by that point he's typed it all into a Word document using WingDings and emailed it to himself or something...

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

i mean i got that, its just that it doesnt really strike me as throwing a wrench in the works

Well he will know either the judge just broke his arm yesterday or so or the pictures were fake, and he probably wouldn’t be in work or would at least mention if it just happened.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The chemicals for the superlab were likely provided by Lydia, the same way she was going to get them for Walt and Jesse, not as a part of Gus's weekly laundry supply delivery. After Pollos Hermanos got exposed there was a scene where she pointed out the warehouse foreman or whoever and he got arrested.

Takes No Damage posted:

TBF he only didn't uncover it earlier because Walt drove into another car rather than drive him up there like Hank asked.

I doubt much would have come from an off-duty DEA agent who can barely walk and doesn't have a warrant watching place through binoculars for a couple of hours. Walt was just being panicky.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

I doubt much would have come from an off-duty DEA agent who can barely walk and doesn't have a warrant watching place through binoculars for a couple of hours. Walt was just being panicky.

I forget what turns him on to the laundry in the first place. Something about finding a purchase order for some piece of lab equipment that has no place in a laundry? Anyway it looked like he was actually just driving over there and wanted to look around, not scope it out from a hill 100 yards away.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think that's in Ed's bunker after Saul's already met with him, and he's telling Walt that he is no longer his attorney Saul Goodman, he's managing a Cinnabon in Omaha and will absolutely never want anything to do with Walter White ever again. I think Walt wants to use him to hire hitmen or something, and Saul is decisively telling him to gently caress off?

Walt tries to pin him back to the wall and do the 'we're done when I say we're done' thing, but starts coughing and nearly collapses, at which point Saul says "We're done." and bails out to Nebraska.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I forget what turns him on to the laundry in the first place. Something about finding a purchase order for some piece of lab equipment that has no place in a laundry? Anyway it looked like he was actually just driving over there and wanted to look around, not scope it out from a hill 100 yards away.

Walt tries to pin him back to the wall and do the 'we're done when I say we're done' thing, but starts coughing and nearly collapses, at which point Saul says "We're done." and bails out to Nebraska.

i think it might've been receipts for the filtration system he stumbled on

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

0 rows returned posted:

the photos are meant to come from the pi in one way or another, whos only been tailing jimmy for a week. very doubtful mr judge broke his arm in the last few hours

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Takes No Damage posted:

Right but they would have just booted him off the property. You can't just "have a look around" industrial facilities the same as if it's a fast food restaurant. Maybe he would have uncovered it eventually maybe not, but Walt didn't prevent him from uncovering anything by swerving into traffic.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Gus would have been pissed if Hank showed up at the laundry mat. there's no way it would've been good.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Just to make sure:

"We" do agree that Jimmy is manipulating Kim, right?

I mean his overly supportive "act" is a bit too thick to be genuine and he knows what he is doing in the way he talks to her.

I will give Jimmy that his manipulation might be somewhat unconsciously and that he genuinly wants Kim to be happy but he is still the one driving this whole thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For anyone who wanted a more personable Gus, from the preview, it looks like you'll be getting it next week.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

Just to make sure:

I mean his overly supportive "act" is a bit too thick to be genuine and he knows what he is doing in the way he talks to her.

I will give Jimmy that his manipulation might be somewhat unconsciously and that he genuinly wants Kim to be happy but he is still the one driving this whole thing.

You're insane

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mister Speaker posted:

This is funny too because AFAIK there's no chemical common in laundry products that's used to make any drug, let alone meth. A better cover would be a farming operation, or pesticide, since IIRC both of those industries use chemicals that are sometimes stolen to make meth. Near as I can tell, the only reason the industrial laundry would be a particularly good cover for the lab is the smell, but that's also sort of explained away with Gale talking about the state-of-the-art filtration system.

Isn't it a dry cleaning place, rather than a laundry?

Not saying PERC makes any more sense as a meth precursor than laundry soap, but it is more mysterious and chemical-y.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

LinkesAuge posted:

Just to make sure:

for sure man

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

LinkesAuge posted:

Just to make sure:

you can’t find this stuff anywhere else on the internet anymore

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There are two types of people who don't know how to watch tv; those who miss everything but know they missed it, and those who miss everything but think they're all caught up.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Honestly I feel worst for Howard. Like he's not completely innocent and a lot of his crimes against Jimmy and Kim were being spurred on by Chuck being vindictive and wanting to side with his friend but I feel like whatever they have in store for him is way beyond what he deserves. Like the guy has been on an endless downward spiral since Chuck's suicide. Like Jimmy agreeing with Howard blaming himself for Chuck's death felt so incredibly cruel. And yeah, Kim might have been held down from her true potential/her lover being held back by Chuck and Howard but Chuck ain't there to sink hate. He's getting nuked from orbit for being loyal to a mean rear end in a top hat who can't answer for all of his bullshit he inflicted on his brother and his brother's wife.

The kitchen scene just made me feel so bad for the guy. Like his wife is either tired of him or of all the crap the McGills have put him through and him not standing up. He's going to be a victim of seriously disproportionate retribution. I don't even know if he's gonna make it out of the show alive and it's honestly making me kinda turn on Saul and Kim

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It's kind of remarkable that they waited this long to make Jimmy unsympathetic. By this point in Breaking Bad, Walt was a monster.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Who took the photos? Shouldn't Howard's PI have photographed Jimmy and the 'judge'? How did Jimmy have them in his possession? If Jimmy took the photos then what was he planning to do with them?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Howard Hamlin is going to be the blood sacrifice for Rhea's Emmy.

howard is surviving. kim will be the blood sacrifice. accept it now so that the pain will be less when it happens. i am in denial. praise to hamlin.

lurker2006 posted:

I think it's kind of interesting that Jimmy and Kim were granted such a ridiculous coincidence as to run into their judge to tip them off to his cast. One of the pieces of writing wisdom you'll hear Vince repeat a lot is that a coincidence should ultimately never help the protagonist, it should only be unlucky. To be honest without knowing anything else it seems a bit sloppy for Jimmy to just run into the guy at a random place in the ABQ, maybe if he was scoping out the guy's stomping grounds or something.

we don't know that it has helped JimmyKimmy yet and kim did not have the reaction of someone assured and confident in their plan going through. plenty of ways for things to fail for em even with the heads up

e: drat there was a whole rear end other page and a half of posts after these ones i quoted

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 18, 2022

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Does seem a little sloppy that they hadn't checked up on the judge in advance lol.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

howard is surviving. kim will be the blood sacrifice. accept it now so that the pain will be less when it happens. i am in denial. praise to hamlin.

I politely disagree, I think Howard’s gonna get killed

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
someone said elsewhere that all of this is going to lead up to howard getting a heart attack and dying and honestly i can buy it

hes not on cocaine, but hes gonna be on some super energy drink bullshit, a bunch of meds, and worked up about the scheme that jimmys pulling.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's all going to work out for the best, trust the plan

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's kind of remarkable that they waited this long to make Jimmy unsympathetic. By this point in Breaking Bad, Walt was a monster.

With BB, it was established from jump street that Walt had a way out that didn't involve cooking meth, but he was too proud to ask for help. That hangs over everything that happens in the show. Jimmy's made plenty of mistakes, but he's also never had the easy way out that Walt did. He (and Kim, really) have found a measure of success despite all kinds of roadblocks placed in their path. It's only now that they're going after Howard, who is less the cause of their roadblocks than a symptom, that their scheming starts to turn unforgivable.

There's a passage from Les Miserables I think about sometimes about the difference between anger and outrage.

Les Miserables posted:

He recognized that he was not an innocent man unjustly punished. He admitted that he had committed a drastic and reprehensible deed. That he probably would not have been refused the loaf of bread, had he asked for it. That in any case it would have been better to wait, and rely on pity or work to obtain it. That it is not an utterly conclusive argument to say, ‘Can hunger be kept waiting?’ That in the first place it is very rare for anyone literally to die of hunger, and anyway, regrettably or not, human beings are so constituted that they are capable of suffering a great deal for a long time, morally and physically, without dying. That patience was necessary. That it would have been better even for those poor little children. That it was an act of madness for a miserable wretch such as he to take on the whole of society and to imagine that theft was a way out of poverty. That under any circumstances the gateway that led to criminality was a bad escape route from poverty. In short, he had done wrong.

Then he asked himself the following:

Whether he was the only one at fault in his fateful story. Whether, firstly, it was not a serious matter that, hard-working as he was, he had no work, conscientious as he was, he had no bread. And whether, after he confessed to the crime he had committed, the punishment had not been harsh and disproportionate. Whether there had not been greater wrong perpetrated by the law through the penalty inflicted than by the culprit through his offence. Whether one of the scalepans had not been overladen, the one that weighed expiation. Whether the excessively heavy penalty did not cancel out the offence, and did not result in reversing the situation, in replacing the delinquent’s offence with the offence of repression, in making the guilty man the victim, and the debtor the creditor, and in ultimately vindicating the one who had broken the law. Whether this penalty, compounded with successive supplementary sentences for the attempted escapes, did not end up becoming some kind of assault of the strong against the weak, a crime of society against the individual, a crime that recommenced every day, a crime that went on for nineteen years.

He wondered whether human society could possibly be entitled to inflict on its members both its unconscionable improvidence on the one hand and its ruthless providence on the other; and to trap a poor man for ever between want and excess, want of work and excess of punishment.

Whether it was not outrageous that society should treat in this manner precisely those least favoured by the chance distribution of assets, and consequently those most deserving of care.

Having raised and answered these questions, he passed judgement on society, and condemned it.

He condemned it to his hatred.

He held it responsible for the fate he suffered and told himself that he might not hesitate to make it answerable one day. He determined that there was no proportionality between the wrong he had done and the wrong done to him. Lastly, he concluded that his punishment was not strictly speaking a miscarriage of justice, but it was most certainly iniquitous.

Anger may be foolish and absurd. It is possible to be unjustifiably incensed. A man is outraged only when, one way or another, he is basically in the right. Jean Valjean felt outraged.

Sometime in Season 4, maybe, is when outrage started to turn to anger.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I politely disagree, I think Howard’s gonna get killed

I feel he might do a suicide or even possibly a murder/suicide after whatever poo poo they do to him. At this point it's clearly a plan that's meant to leave his life fubar.

Maybe Howard books a ticket to Belize.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

LinkesAuge posted:

Just to make sure:

Only in the sense that they're both manipulating each other. Just like every toxic relationship.

Kim didn't turn around because she wants this for Jimmy. Kim turned around because she wants this for her. If she had managed to get both the grant money and Jimmy's money, she'd be more than happy. But if she could only got the grant...well, she'd have to go in to work every day knowing that the money got to her because she got the assistance of Howard-adjacent big law, which she hates. (Remember how she hated her partner office.) She can't deal with that. If she has to choose, it's getting the money elsewhere.

Now, of course, the rational, ethically sound option is to suck it up and take the grant money that she would certainly get and use that for her practice. And eventually, if she let it happen, you expect she'd learn to live with it. It's for the greater good, and that's what her law practice is all about. But as good a lawyer as she is and as important as she sees herself and her clients, that's not what she really wants, deep down. She wants to make Howard pay, and if it has to be this way, she's willing to do it, drat the consequences. And there will be consequences. Will she "get away with it" this time?

Is this Jimmy's influence? Sure, to a point. But as we see in the flashbacks and as we see in how much she enjoys doing this with Jimmy, it's not all Jimmy. Jimmy is a bad influence, and he stokes the embers, sure, but that flame was already lit.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jimmy was given the easy way out when he got a high paid job at Davis and Main, and a share of Sandpiper worth millions. He decided to sabotage all that and return to Slippin.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

anime was right posted:

someone said elsewhere that all of this is going to lead up to howard getting a heart attack and dying and honestly i can buy it

hes not on cocaine, but hes gonna be on some super energy drink bullshit, a bunch of meds, and worked up about the scheme that jimmys pulling.

Deffo. Someone else upthread also pointed out that he may actually have a drug problem, just a very well-hidden one and Jimmy & Kim just happened to get (un)lucky and give him an overdose. But yes, it could also be as simple as his medication. I think the medical emergency angle is almost certainly what's going to go down and crash all the plans The Jimandor Kim had.

It would be funny if Saul's "ticket to Belize" euphemism did come from Howard just loving off to retire there in disgrace, though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jimmy was given the easy way out when he got a high paid job at Davis and Main, and a share of Sandpiper worth millions. He decided to sabotage all that and return to Slippin.

It's not just this, try both literally just got exactly what they wanted--booming business for Jimmy and Kim's dream opportunity. They don't need the Sandpiper case settlement anymore. Kim has completely broken bad, but I do believe Jimmy will go along more out of love.and loyalty than desire to gently caress Howard.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Oh, to be sure, there are no heroes in this story. It's a tragedy after all.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If anything I think Kim is more invested in the idea of ruining Howard and it's Jimmy that's just kinda going along. It was her idea, originally.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

If anything I think Kim is more invested in the idea of ruining Howard and it's Jimmy that's just kinda going along. It was her idea, originally.

Yeah his revenge was the petty bowling ball bullshit because deep down he knows that Hamlin isn't a bad guy. Just a proxy for Chuck, and the law establishment generally. He was never out to ruin him and honestly has seemed kinda reluctant about it the whole time. He would have been fine to pull out based on the broken arm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nuebot posted:

Watch it turn out that Howard actually does do hard drugs, he's just been a functional addict off screen

Howard: I keep telling you, I don't do cocaine.... I just pop Oxy like candy like a normal person! :mad:
Cliff: Oh my God I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

There are many posts and I cannot get to them all so I searched for the word "chop" and didn't find it.

So HEY, how about that scene transition of Jimmy and Kim kissing smash cutting to the guy chopping wood. Definitely some on-the-nose imagery there, eh?