Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

bofa salesman posted:

Do they have any kinda notes on how it’s supposed to work? Does it use your existing corporation cuz I’ll be mad if I’m locked out of trying it since mine is offline

I suspect it will only be for online play, but Dandy are such sweethearts that they may add a toggle allowing it for friend games if a single person complains on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I was just sifting through the Troubleshooter steam threads, and it really is amazing that they're still so active and responsive to the community. Lots of openness about the dev process, I'm feeling a lot of indie earnestness. I hope they release some paid DLC, it feels pretty wild that we've been getting so many content expansions for free. A whole expansion pack, and yet all they are selling is the tie-in artbook and OST featuring stuff you can freely access within the game they just gave you.

A friend and I are still very slowly making our way through this. Just unlocked the 4th party member, and those AoE skills from witch are pretty nice.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I actually decided to start a parallel game from scratch, since my friend and I play very intermittently. I'm right before the Irene recruitment mission, and I think I would like to do a little mastery grinding before I proceed further in the story on Normal.

Are there any particularly good stages for repeating early on? The boss of the lvl6 repeatable map has a full Shukuchi set, so it's obviously a strong candidate for getting that nice early speed and defense buff on your team. But that is just one unit, and I imagine there might be a better ratio of useful masteries gained to time spent on other stages.

Not sure where I should start looking, since I only just figured out the tactical camera view and the ability to get detailed unit info after you get enough KOs on that type.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
catharsis is a game changer and the first reliable way to get it is beating bianca in ramjist plaza. it's worth farming as soon as you can actually beat her. you don't even have to survive alisa's wrath or finish the level afterward.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ramjist Plaza... got it, thanks.

I don't know what Catharsis does other than hearing it gets used with One Shot One Kill for some kinda chained combo actions, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Tinkering around with these systems is really fun in Troubleshooter. It takes me back to some fun times minmaxing my team in Fire Emblem Fates, or doing charop exercises in 3.x D&D.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Catharsis reduces all your cooldowns by 1 turn. Its combo with 1S1K is that it lets you endlessly take out dudes if your basic attack is strong enough.

Honestly I feel the game is so easy before the mid-late game (and you get so many better farming options then) that there isn't really much of a point to farm stuff. That said, the Steam guide for mastery sets does open with a fast progress list.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I haven't played this game since shortly after it came out of early access. Should I just restart my game since I don't remember anything about it (both gameplay or story-wise)? I only got to the point in my first game where I'd unlocked a character that I believe used to be a teacher or something for the main character (their class is a sniper, iirc). I think i had done some mastery grinding, but who knows if builds from ~May 2020 are even relevant anymore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ihatepants posted:

I haven't played this game since shortly after it came out of early access. Should I just restart my game since I don't remember anything about it (both gameplay or story-wise)? I only got to the point in my first game where I'd unlocked a character that I believe used to be a teacher or something for the main character (their class is a sniper, iirc). I think i had done some mastery grinding, but who knows if builds from ~May 2020 are even relevant anymore.

They should be valid enough for where you are in the game, it is mostly end game builds that have dramatically shifted since. I'd say just pick up from you left of, because the early game is the least interesting part of Troubleshooter and you have just unlocked the Pokemon mechanics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
New builds are generally introduced through new enemies dropping new masteries, so anything that was once optimal should still be more or less optimal for that point in the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at some point they also gave everyone one more ability mastery slot.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Sweet thanks everyone. I'll just do some basic missions to reacquaint myself for now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main issue with starting over is that it takes a *long* time to get characters beyond Iris.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You can just replay all the story missions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it really doesn't take that long if you play on easy and don't mess with all the optional missions. but then, i'm biased since i exclusively play offline with that sql script to max out on all owned masteries. grinding for trash masteries to craft into intermediate masteries to craft into useful masteries adds a ridiculous amount of time. it's even worse if you want to maintain multiple builds since you need dupes for each board.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it really doesn't take that long if you play on easy and don't mess with all the optional missions. but then, i'm biased since i exclusively play offline with that sql script to max out on all owned masteries. grinding for trash masteries to craft into intermediate masteries to craft into useful masteries adds a ridiculous amount of time. it's even worse if you want to maintain multiple builds since you need dupes for each board.

Do you happen to have a link to this? I'm currently playing an online save, but I would be willing to start over just to do this.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What does this mean exactly?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you open the save file with an sql editor and run this script from the cheatengine forums
code:
update companyProperty
set cpValue = 9999
where masterIndex in (select masterIndex from companyPropertyMaster where masterName like '%Amount')
this maxes out the quantity for every mastery you have unlocked. it doesn't do anything for locked masteries, so the sole purpose is to cut down the tedium of mastery grinding and crafting. i don't remember if you need to have a copy of each mastery already, but that's not a big deal either way since you can run this as many times as you like. it maxes out drone programs, too. make a backup before you try it, obviously.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Picked this game up last week. drat, its a lot of fun. Also holy poo poo, there's a ton of weird systems and mechanics. I'm 20 hours in and I just discovered meal sets. I haven't crafted a single item because :effort: and now every time I go shopping at the market I get like 5 new sidequests so I can be friends(???) with the shopkeepers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fruits of the sea posted:

Picked this game up last week. drat, its a lot of fun. Also holy poo poo, there's a ton of weird systems and mechanics. I'm 20 hours in and I just discovered meal sets. I haven't crafted a single item because :effort: and now every time I go shopping at the market I get like 5 new sidequests so I can be friends(???) with the shopkeepers.

Crafting is a nightmare rabbit hole. You never have to interact with it unless you care about really minmaxing the gently caress out of your gear to do max difficulty optional content stuff, and if you do interact with it you're looking at hours and hours of time investment to grind money to afford materials and to collect elemental ingredients from missions in the wilds. Stay away from it until you're quite late in the game if you're interested, because starting in on it is easier once you're completely established.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also a lot of the best equipment in the game is often from drops rather than crafting, so it really is more of a post-game activity for when you are optimizing the hell out of your crew.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Does any one have any experience using this? https://github.com/K0lb3/TroubleTool

Any neat weaks people have made?

Unrelated: are there chase battles or things to grind for post storyline in this game? I'm all about these kind games but don't care about the story in them at all, it's all about the game play for me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There's so much bullshit to do in the post-game. The high level violent cases (which are not part of the storyline) have so much content to them that really push the game's systems to their limit and are 100% where the mechanics really shine if that's what you've signed up for. I am honestly baffled by how many unique enemies are in those compared to the storyline missions.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Awesome. I'm all about grinding the end game poo poo like in disgaea.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kanos posted:

Crafting is a nightmare rabbit hole. You never have to interact with it unless you care about really minmaxing the gently caress out of your gear to do max difficulty optional content stuff, and if you do interact with it you're looking at hours and hours of time investment to grind money to afford materials and to collect elemental ingredients from missions in the wilds. Stay away from it until you're quite late in the game if you're interested, because starting in on it is easier once you're completely established.

That's fine - I tend to lose interest once I get to post-game content unless its something really extraordinary. I'm happy just plopping mastery sets on my dudes and pressing spacebar a bunch whenever poo poo gets really anime. (although the writing is pretty decent! I was kinda worried it was gonna turn into some harem stuff).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Troubleshooter harem but it's just more girlfriends for Giselle

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Troubleshooter harem with Anne as the center but instead of anything at all harem-like it's a bunch of supportive friends. It's a friend group for Anne who is a good character.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

Troubleshooter harem but it's just more girlfriends for Giselle

We have Jane and Ray so far, I think we should add that tall blue hair model that is in the old concept art. Oh and Kyrie if she ever takes a chill pill.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Question: does the property limit for masteries increase with levels or is it fixed? And related, I'm guessing that the support abilities that increase property limit and mastery slots are pretty important?

E: Irene's lone hero gimmick is a really neat mechanic that I haven't seen in any other tactics games. I'm having a lot of fun stacking everything that reduces AT/increases speed/restores AP. It's cool as gently caress sending her on kamikaze missions, although I feel a little guilty ever since Sion guilt-tripped me about sending her into the blender. Also not super optimal because Irene runs into a brick wall if she encounters a group with multiple enemies she can't one-shot.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 18, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The flip side is that if Irene is built well, the enemies have also run into a brick wall.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I always get annoyed when she gets surrounded by gunmen and she ends up delayed into oblivion and there's not much she can do about it. Alisa is way funnier to go solo thanks to Wildcat Engine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Question: does the property limit for masteries increase with levels or is it fixed? And related, I'm guessing that the support abilities that increase property limit and mastery slots are pretty important?

Yes and yes!

Solo Irene can be pretty darn powerful and one of the characters that can achieve zero AT turns. Though I also love sending in Alisa solo, going berserk and just watching her kill everything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm partial to super tanky battlemage irene. i have other characters who can sweep through normal enemies with unlimited turns or reactive attacks. irene is the one who gets up in a boss' face and doesn't die, then fucks them up with a heavily buffed attack that ignores block. it took me a while to understand the point of all that concentrated magic power stuff, but it's just a bunch of mastery sets that make you gain stacks of a buff for doing pretty much anything. then you consume the buff on a single attack, which can still be irene's aoe to wipe out a crowd. but it doesn't work with catharsis/1s1k at all.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm partial to super tanky battlemage irene. i have other characters who can sweep through normal enemies with unlimited turns or reactive attacks. irene is the one who gets up in a boss' face and doesn't die, then fucks them up with a heavily buffed attack that ignores block. it took me a while to understand the point of all that concentrated magic power stuff, but it's just a bunch of mastery sets that make you gain stacks of a buff for doing pretty much anything. then you consume the buff on a single attack, which can still be irene's aoe to wipe out a crowd. but it doesn't work with catharsis/1s1k at all.

That sounds great. I've been hesitant to dig into that class so far because I'm relatively early(I think?) in the game, so I only have Albus and Irene for melee and they need to cover a lot of ground to keep mobs from getting to the back line of Heixing, Sion and Anne. Although Albus' version of this is basically "run into melee and never take a turn again because he's busy countering every single melee unit on the map".

I guess I could respec Sion into melee but his damage is absolutely ridiculous, plus his fall attack and overcharge let me nuke anything regardless of how much cover it has. In general, I'm really digging how you can go all in on a gimmick and become completely overpowered.

ZearothK posted:

Yes and yes!

Solo Irene can be pretty darn powerful and one of the characters that can achieve zero AT turns. Though I also love sending in Alisa solo, going berserk and just watching her kill everything.

Thanks!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I tend to run both Irene and Sion as tanky melee builds because you get a lot of characters who can do fantastic DPS but very few who can reliably anchor a line against overwhelming odds. Sion's damage build is absolutely horrifying and incredibly impressive but there are other people who can do almost as well(or even potentially better).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i use a bm sion build i found on yt that amps up the damage more instead of using catharsis. so he still does massive damage, but only in bursts. bianca's better when it comes to chaining infinite turns with either class, and there's no point in doubling up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That sounds great. I've been hesitant to dig into that class so far because I'm relatively early(I think?) in the game, so I only have Albus and Irene for melee and they need to cover a lot of ground to keep mobs from getting to the back line of Heixing, Sion and Anne. Although Albus' version of this is basically "run into melee and never take a turn again because he's busy countering every single melee unit on the map".

For what it's worth, you seem to be assuming that Battlemage is less of a melee class than Martial Artist. This is not true: either way she is a melee tank who runs right into the thick of it. The reason people prefer Battlemage is that it's actually tankier. Martial Artist is... a little undertuned maybe, but it can still work.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there an easy way to trigger Hero on Irene besides her individual mastery?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is that one that triggers when she is out of sight from any allies

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That’s her individual mastery. Despite it being her motif, my Irene isn’t tanky enough to send off on her own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I have heard you can trigger it just by hiding her behind a box or something to break line of sight... perhaps a smoke bomb or something could also work.

Maybe there's some tips in the Ashuram video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kEPwPyqdao