Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I genuinely think lying about all that is a bit beyond his juvenile capabilities. I think he just went loving bonkers.

The article itself, one of his mentors basically said he got an extreme case of successful person syndrome. For someone who's never had success, and achieved it, while having a lot of personal turmoil- it really went to his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just want bad things to happen to the wealthy and Republicans why can't this be delivered?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also worth noting that the trillion dollar tax cut to billionaires and super millionaires right before the world went to poo poo is never talked about as a factor but good fiscal sense.

That is also a trillion dollars back into "the economy" that mysteriously is never talked about in these discussions.

I mean, those tax cuts were spent on corporate buy-backs just like the pandemic "relief money" was.

Seems like buy-backs are the root of evil here; shame if something were to ha--hahahaha.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jaxyon posted:

That's more "telling people what they want to hear" than influencing them.

The business owners and finance bros already thought that

It's giving them the opportunity to pursue the most selfish end without feeling bad about it, it's a permission slip for evil.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

I just want bad things to happen to the wealthy and Republicans why can't this be delivered?

Because you need to pick a side.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

AsInHowe posted:

It's giving them the opportunity to pursue the most selfish end without feeling bad about it, it's a permission slip for evil.

It's America. They already had that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Speaking of buy-backs the Dow's down over 1,000 pts right now, presumably bc of bad retail quarterlies.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Jesus Christ, the Eastman emails are something else. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising how brazen they are, there probably aren't too many Republicans who've seen The Wire.

Garland has to realize we're standing on the edge of the abyss with this. They let these guys walk and the country's done.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1524228234191253505

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Jesus Christ, the Eastman emails are something else. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising how brazen they are, there probably aren't too many Republicans who've seen The Wire.

Garland has to realize we're standing on the edge of the abyss with this. They let these guys walk and the country's done.

looks like the decision to nominate a centrist dipshit to Garland's position as some kind of obtuse own on McConnell was poorly considered

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm legitimately shocked at how inept and out of lockstep with their voters the democrats really are. If Fetterman winning the primary, and if he goes on to win the general doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

I can understand the rational of choosing a candidate who can bring in money. But this isn't brunch anymore. Brunch is over if you want to remain a viable political party.

They don't care about voters they care about donors. We need to stop being credulous fools about this. They've shown us their true colors time and time again. poo poo, Lawrence O'Donnell talked about this in 2006.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's important to keep in mind when discussing inflation and "inflation" that the price is a reflection of what bean counters believe the market will bear and that's it

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's important to keep in mind when discussing inflation and "inflation" that the price is a reflection of what bean counters believe the market will bear and that's it

Inflation only becomes real if people continue buying things at the prices they're set at, and no one steps in to undercut and steal market share.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
doing a google search to learn about inflation

learned something alright

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
4 things are causing or caused the inflation

1. Supply chain disruptions and breakdowns including shortages on commodities or inputs like diesel, potash, microchips. Lead tines are also terrible with anywhere from 6-22 weeks cited in the ISM and pmi reports.

2. Increased demand caused by the locust horde called Americans who went crazy while under lockdown. This strained already low supplies are certain goods categories like cars and electronics.

3. BRRRRRRRing money printer dumped poo poo tons of free money into the markets and hosed up the valuations of real estate and equity. The fed has admitted to this.

4. Corporate greed. The wealthy have even told nonstop for a year that the American consumer has never been wealthier and has $2.5 trillion in savings. They is a lot of wealth that needs to be extracted.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Willa Rogers posted:

Speaking of buy-backs the Dow's down over 1,000 pts right now, presumably bc of bad retail quarterlies.

Rug pull on the retail baggies that cnbc and finance social media convinced to buy the dip because the bottom was in.

The retail quarterlies were very bad though. Confirmed what the numbers had started to show.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

-Blackadder- posted:

Is it actually illegal, though? A scary amount of things about elections rely on norms instead of hard laws.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Florida's transformation into "Red California" is almost complete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q16QVwxcbY

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Florida's transformation into "Red California" is almost complete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q16QVwxcbY

I'd like to invite you to come take a trip down to deep-blue Broward County and see just how well we're keeping people out of homelessness.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Republicans posted:

Is it actually illegal, though? A scary amount of things about elections rely on norms instead of hard laws.

Garland, stop posting

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm legitimately shocked at how inept and out of lockstep with their voters the democrats really are. If Fetterman winning the primary, and if he goes on to win the general doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

I can understand the rational of choosing a candidate who can bring in money. But this isn't brunch anymore. Brunch is over if you want to remain a viable political party.

The thing is, Fetterman works because he's authentic. He's a real person who you expect to start ranting about that AOC-person or illegals, but somehow he's not brain poisoned. But he's a big bald guy who wears basketball shorts and you'd never see a politician focus group that appearance. They want to look like successful businessmen in suits and nice haircuts, not your high school buddy who's a self-employed landscaper.

Trump worked the same way, as did Bernie. Americans lack an authentic feeling of connection to their representatives right now so people who actually seem genuine have a huge impact.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Morrow posted:

3) A lot of people did drop out of the workforce due to covid, and that's what they may be referencing, but generally they dropped out as they retired, had disabilities, needed to care for family members (reminder: some open jobs don't pay enough to justify the cost of daycare, and a lot of kids still intermittently teleschool), or went back to school. These people have not been offered appropriate incentives to get them back in the workforce.

I'll add a few more factors to this, as a tech writer/instructional designer who's been trying VERY HARD to rejoin the workforce without any success.

I get maybe ten emails a day about jobs, and often a handful of phone calls. 99% of those emails are from recruiting agencies that scooped my resume from Monster, Indeed, CareerBuilder or ZipRecruiter, matched a couple of keywords to it and fired off an email without actually reading or comprehending my profile.

Lots of these are for positions that are on-site in areas thousands of miles from my home, at which point the recruiter feigns surprise that I do not want to relocate my family for a four-month contract in Armpit, Wyoming. Lots more state "Remote Until COVID," which raises the question of who gets to decide when COVID is over and it's time to go back on-site? If I take such a contract and the boss says "Welp, your desk in Armpit is waiting on Monday," what am I supposed to do about that other than resign immediately?

Lots of these are for Exciting New Career Opportunities!(tm) in fields like insurance sales and Oracle consultancy and roles with very specific prerequisites, training, experience and needs that are nowhere to be found on my resume, or are completely outside of anything I have ever done before. I do enjoy explaining over and over that, no, I do not have the five years of experience with Application X that is listed as a firm prerequisite, because it's clearly stated that my professional experience is with Application Y and I cannot travel back in time and change that.

Lots of the remainder seem like pretty good matches, but the employers take one look at a work gap of any length and recoil in horror and vanish into the night, regardless of the validity of any reasons for it.

Some of them are legitimate matches for my skillset, experience and situation. I have a dozen recruiters who, over the last few months, have gotten as far as submitting resumes and work samples to employers and inquiring about interview availability and talking on the phone with me to verify details and qualifications. Ninety percent of the time, I can guarantee that I will never hear from those recruiters again, and they will not return my emails or phone calls; they will simply ghost me. Others sigh that the client they're matching me with never responded to them when I can reach them.

The problem with the COVID job market is that if you are applying for on-site work, you are competing with everyone with your skillset, your experience, and who finds that specific work location and lifestyle to be acceptable. If you are applying for fully remote work, you are competing with EVERYONE who's remotely qualified for that position, all across the nation and sometimes even in other nations. The amount of remote work available did jump up significantly due to COVID, by necessity; the amount of people looking for those remote work opportunities grew exponentially.

I have had two of these processes reach a conclusion other than a flat 'no' (which I'm fine with, if that's the answer; I like closure.) One involved three Zoom interviews, an in-person interview and a writing assignment over a month. Didn't get it, but it was good practice. The other involved two Zoom interviews, work samples, shop talk about the position, a lot of positivity... and then a month of being completely ghosted before being informed that, sorry, we're going in a different direction.

At some point, I would like to work in my professional field again. But I may end up stocking shelves at Target first, in an attempt to not lose our apartment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh cool, the 5th circuit just said that the SEC isn’t allowed to actually enforce securities law

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1527009488301170688?s=21&t=K5A8pbb8RSxT0iuiz-PkRQ

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Morrow posted:

The thing is, Fetterman works because he's authentic. He's a real person who you expect to start ranting about that AOC-person or illegals, but somehow he's not brain poisoned. But he's a big bald guy who wears basketball shorts and you'd never see a politician focus group that appearance. They want to look like successful businessmen in suits and nice haircuts, not your high school buddy who's a self-employed landscaper.

Trump worked the same way, as did Bernie. Americans lack an authentic feeling of connection to their representatives right now so people who actually seem genuine have a huge impact.

Trump is the least authentic person imaginable. Bernie isn't really a vibe a lot of people identify with.

What they said is why they were popular. Trump because he said the quiet parts loud, Bernie because he advocated good policy.

Tons of politicians have done "I'm just a normal guy not a slick business type" it's not new and not necessarily authentic. People are also responding to Fetterman because "imposing/intimidating male figure" works on a lot of people no matter what your politics, which is why there's some batshit LBJ comparisons happening in this thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh cool, the 5th circuit just said that the SEC isn’t allowed to actually enforce securities law

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1527009488301170688?s=21&t=K5A8pbb8RSxT0iuiz-PkRQ

They just keep digging that hole...

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

World Famous W posted:

doing a google search to learn about inflation

learned something alright
The problem is especially bad with certain fast food companies.

Lib and let die posted:

I'd like to invite you to come take a trip down to deep-blue Broward County and see just how well we're keeping people out of homelessness.
No better in Dade, lol.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 18, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The fifth circuit seems like a problem that needs t be dealt with. Why aren't democrats focusing on adding new districts, and tying the number of SCOTUS judges to the number of districts? That could fix two huge problems in one solution.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The fifth circuit seems like a problem that needs t be dealt with. Why aren't democrats focusing on adding new districts, and tying the number of SCOTUS judges to the number of districts? That could fix two huge problems in one solution.
Because that requires the Democrats to successfully pass legislation, something they have not demonstrated any ability to do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We’re probably a year away from the end of the modern administrative state, I would guess

I believe some of the Justices have said as much in some of their opinions

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Translation: "the dems refuse to slob my knob!"
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526997132858822658

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

FlamingLiberal posted:

We’re probably a year away from the end of the modern administrative state, I would guess

I believe some of the Justices have said as much in some of their opinions
Yeah, its pretty clear to me that there's no going back at this point. It also effectively leaves a power vacuum that states can fill - look at Texas.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

3. BRRRRRRRing money printer dumped poo poo tons of free money into the markets and hosed up the valuations of real estate and equity. The fed has admitted to this.

4. Corporate greed. The wealthy have even told nonstop for a year that the American consumer has never been wealthier and has $2.5 trillion in savings. They is a lot of wealth that needs to be extracted.

I am not an economist but I wanted to key in on this too. Housing and education aren't priced into inflation calculations, its still based on what an average American buy in their basket (fairly well explained here in this West Wing clip. But also our super low inflation with super low interest rates basically allow buisnesses to be super risky and just fund the dumbest poo poo possible and they can take the hit. all that crypto money and corporate money into real estate is because they want to a huge pay off and can take out ridiculous money with little consequence because they can pay it easily. Real estate gains clearly just are beating inflation because money is stupid cheap and offer bigger rewards than actually saving.

All this is to say our low interest rate policy basically created bassackwards incentives and is loving people over in new ways!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
isn't there a consistent effort to remove the ability of Congress to delegate authority to agencies as well? Seems like the end of the government itself and a return to the 1800s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

marshmonkey posted:

Who could've predicted this?

Everyone. Everyone predicted this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

isn't there a consistent effort to remove the ability of Congress to delegate authority to agencies as well? Seems like the end of the government itself and a return to the 1800s
Yes this is the long-predicted return to the Lockner Era

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

marshmonkey posted:

Ah yes, the party of division and hate, unlike the other party of *checks notes* calling your opponents pedophiles and advocating mob violence

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not an economist but I wanted to key in on this too. Housing and education aren't priced into inflation calculations, its still based on what an average American buy in their basket (fairly well explained here in this West Wing clip. But also our super low inflation with super low interest rates basically allow buisnesses to be super risky and just fund the dumbest poo poo possible and they can take the hit. all that crypto money and corporate money into real estate is because they want to a huge pay off and can take out ridiculous money with little consequence because they can pay it easily. Real estate gains clearly just are beating inflation because money is stupid cheap and offer bigger rewards than actually saving.

All this is to say our low interest rate policy basically created bassackwards incentives and is loving people over in new ways!

Housing and education are included in the CPI which is the most commonly referred to measure of inflation in the popular press. Granted, there are plenty of arguments to be had about how these are included and the Fed ostensibly pays most attention to Core PCE as their inflation metric. But here is a breakdown:

(from https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2022/05/13/components-of-the-cpi-april)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They don't care about voters they care about donors. We need to stop being credulous fools about this. They've shown us their true colors time and time again. poo poo, Lawrence O'Donnell talked about this in 2006.

This is a no brainer, but the notion that donors will flee is ridiculous. Look at how awful the republican party is, and yet it has absolutely no trouble finding donors. Even in a capitalist hellscape this is literally prioritizing extreme short term gains over long term profits. I'm willing to stake my life on the idea that a medicare for all system within 10-30 years of being fully functional will lead to a minimum of 5% increase in overall profits due to increased productiveness and spending (now that people aren't going bankrupt or paying exorbitant healthcare fees) from the consumer.

Winning elections grants you power, and donors might run away at first. But eventually they have to come back if they want their interests represented.

It just infuriates me that so many democrats can't see that good policy leads to good politics, and yes even on a capitalist level, good profit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A lot of GOP donors want exactly these kinds of politicians in office now because they get results for their donors in terms of making the government non-functional

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of course this same principle will not be applied to immigration judges for some reason, though from this decision they're pretty much saying bench trials are unconstitutional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xand_Man posted:

Ah yes, the party of division and hate, unlike the other party of *checks notes* calling your opponents pedophiles and advocating mob violence
I have to give some major raised eyebrow to the idea that Musk ever actually supported Democrats, and raise it up another 5 mm at the idea that he had done so because of kindness.

To clarify, I'm not arguing that bad people can't support Democrats (I saw the poll where 20% of Democrats believe in Replacement Theory), just that I don't believe Musk about it because I find it impossible to believe he's ever cared about anything but his tax rate.

Although when you go to the next page you will see VideoGameVet make a very good point about Musk and Democrats...

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 18, 2022