Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

midnight lasagna posted:

Incidentally, the plan was always for me to leave the route split in the Western Isles up to viewer vote and that's coming up fairly soon. I've got my own preferences, but before I say what they are I'd love to know what people think. I'll probably put a poll up either after Chapter 8 or 8x.

My first instinct was to go with B since Lot is turning out, but looking at an item list, apparently the upgraded visit rewards on those two houses are both items that you just get normally on A anyway. Failing that, I'd probably lean towards A for Echidna since you've killed/locked yourself out of so many swordies already, though on that note, no Fir means this would also lock you out of Karel for all that he matters. Gonzales is probably a nonfactor either way; on hard mode getting route A Gonzales mostly just means he rams his hp, strength, and speed caps even harder, and arguably the option to promote him sooner for that sweet, sweet +5 skill is a worthwhile tradeoff. TBH the worse axe rank is what would hurt the most.

Incidentally, I've been playing through project ember and went B route because I never had before, and for as much of a reputation as 11A has, I think the vanilla version of 10B that I'm imagining in my head might actually be more of a pain. I guess we'll see if/when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
There are too many bad, unfun or obnoxious chapters in this game. This is one of them. "Hey, how about we spawn in a unit who's all but guaranteed to die before he gets a turn unless the player knows how to counter it in advance?" Garbage. I don't blame you for not caring about either of those two - I used Noah on my first run and he was...fine? That said, I've never seen a Fir who doesn't get strength-screwed, so how much help she'd be is up in the air. It is a shame she doesn't even get the chance, though.

I don't want to make a formal vote of it, but uh, 11A is bullshit. High-order bullshit. It's really not worth it to go A for "better Gonzales" when he's going to ram all the caps he's going to come anywhere near anyway. Five more shots at 15% skill is pretty decent but it's not like the extra point or, if he's lucky, two is gonna be make or break for him. Especially since even in this, nobody else is really desperate for Secret Books. The real bullshit enemies are the bosses, and largely because of loving thrones.

I still think early-promoting Elen is a good idea - though if you want her to be your Aureola user you do need to be really careful not to let her staff rank hit S, since you only get one S weapon. But early promotions have always been basically the only way to get a real Light user, since you'll have them for like four chapters if you wait the whole time. And your Lot is looking pretty solid, so he's definitely an option too.

Other than that...welp, have fun in Sacae!

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

FE6 actually doesn't limit the number of S ranks you can have, probably since it doesn't give bonuses for them. You probably still won't get multiple without specifically grinding for them because weapon exp is painfully slow in this game, but you can't lock yourself out of Aureola by getting S staves.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shiny777 posted:

FE6 actually doesn't limit the number of S ranks you can have, probably since it doesn't give bonuses for them. You probably still won't get multiple without specifically grinding for them because weapon exp is painfully slow in this game, but you can't lock yourself out of Aureola by getting S staves.

Well, that and the fact that your only light magic attackers are promoted staff bots. There isn't anyone that has built up a light rank by using it all game, it's just something Ellen, Saul, or Yodel has to work at as a side gig. Which also explains why Bishops get light rank C at promotion, because you'd never see S otherwise

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Shame that you won't be able to get the Axe Magnet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

One route provides a worse Gonzalez. I will never see elphin and the stache.
:same: The split is an illusion.

e: On the other hand, might be interesting to see it here, especially if it's that much easier on Hard mode.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 7, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The only thing that really matters is Echidna.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like you would be best off immediately feeding that Crest to Lot, if only so you can have somebody with the Strength to one round a wyvern rider.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Aw, that's a shame, but that chapter is rough, even coming in with a full roster. Still, at least you got a nice

in! It's so much better when you capture it before the final E shows up... for some reason. :hai:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

I feel like you would be best off immediately feeding that Crest to Lot, if only so you can have somebody with the Strength to one round a wyvern rider.

Yeah, it seems like you're going to need it sooner rather than later

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
*hissssssss* early promoting :mad:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
early promoting is cool and ok :colbert:

just don't do it to everyone

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Since the use of the barrier staff for grinding staff rank was mentioned: that's not a thing in this game. You need 50 wexp per level, and gain 1 wexp per staff use. Of any staff.

It's the same for weapons but you get 2 wexp on a killing blow.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Lol that you lost the entire A-tier in a filler mission.

Ch4-5 in FE6HM are really fun maps and examples of why I like FE6's spin on the gameplay. In both cases, you're constantly on a timer to Pincer-o-Clock and you need to juggle wiping high-value units off the map with thinking ahead 4-5 turns to the inevitable clusterfuck that's going to fall on you.

Meanwhile your units all feel like they're built out of paper-maché with the coordination of drunk children. Any successful hit is a win. Every bit of chip counts. Every tiled blocked is your fortress. Marcus is at 11hp and three bandits still get to move oh gently caress oh gently caress.

FE7's focus on making gigaunits who 1-round everything on enemy phase isn't as fun. FE6 forces you to make diamonds out of coal while constantly jabbing you in the eye. It's great.

How are you planning to handle Leygance? Lot with a Hammer?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just wanted to post to say that whoever recommended Embers, thanks, because I hadn't heard of it and I am having a lot of fun!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Project Ember owns and makes fe6 a fun game.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Dance Officer posted:

Since the use of the barrier staff for grinding staff rank was mentioned: that's not a thing in this game. You need 50 wexp per level, and gain 1 wexp per staff use. Of any staff.

It's the same for weapons but you get 2 wexp on a killing blow.

I feel like while that lessens how useful it how useful it is for grinding staff ranks you can still use it for that purpose - if nothing else as filler while you don't need your staff user to actually do anything.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This is probably one of the games where the Barrier staff is actually at its most useful for its actual intended purpose, for whatever that's worth. The game does have a tendency of putting Bolting assholes in awkward locations where you have to take at least a couple shots, and there's a high # of units that do get one-shot by said Bolting assholes. So allowing said units to enter the range via Barrier is a use.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I played this map about a week and a half ago, will I still remember what I was doing or thinking while I was playing it? These helpfully named screenshots like "blerp" and "wut" will surely jog my memory.

Time to reunite. I hope it's not a reunion in the afterlife with all the characters I killed.

In other words, Ostia's military is primarily composed of what is usually the worst class in any Fire Emblem game. Sometimes second worst if Archers are even worse than usual. Unfortunately they cannot rely on Hector sitting on a throne to defend their castle anymore...

Time to go impregnate the castle. I wonder how many castles in the world could be called impregnable just because nobody ever invaded them to prove otherwise?

I'm still a little under the deployment limit here. That's okay though, some new people will be joining this chapter! Fresh meat for the meat grinder.

Lot is one of the few characters in my army I think will have a chance of hitting level 20/20, so I'd like to delay his promotion a little if possible. Chapter 9 is a Fog of War chapter and another minor difficulty spike so I'd prefer to have at least one promoted unit to charge into the enemies I can't see in the darkness, but that will probably be Lance. I might still promote Lot early if he's not at level 20 by the end of 8x though.

Here is the infamous Chapter 8! Not infamous because it's difficult or unfair, but infamous because it's just way too god drat big. You have to go all away around the outside, and then around again on the inside, and then you have to spent a few turns whittling down yet another boss with way too much defense and avoid, and then if you were fast in doing that you'll probably have to wait to grab all the treasures behind him too. There is some unique flavour about FE6 map design that I do miss in the other GBA games, but it does feel like it took this game for IS to learn not to make their maps way too large.

This map's got a few reinforcements, both enemy and ally. Some new units will be joining from the top left, and then they'll get chased out by reinforcements behind them a few turns after. There will also be enemies coming from the boss room and the stairs, but if you're not playing fast they're not too likely to catch you by surprise when they first start to appear. There are also going to be some thieves coming from the stairs to hurry you up a little, and unlike other thieves they're going to spawn in fairly close to the treasure so you might not think you have to hurry until suddenly you do. Otherwise this is a fairly good map for feeding EXP to weak units, so after the bloodbath that was Chapter 7 it'll be nice to have a breather! Although if Chapter 5 was anything to go by then that means I'm going to get all my best units killed here doing something stupid.

A lot of the enemies here have various keys that can be stolen. Door Keys are generally less valuable and only have one use compared to the Chest Key's 5, but they're still nice to have in situations where I want a slightly less fragile unit to be in charge of breaking and entering. I like that there's all these little stealable items, it's fun!

The Knights with Chest Keys also have some nasty lances I'll want to watch out for before I approach. A shame I can't steal those... The Killer Lance at least would be nice.

There's also this one guy with the Aircalibur tome, which deals effective damage against fliers... Good thing I made the strategic decision to kill my only flier so he wouldn't have any good targets! Boy I bet he feels silly now.

Legance is the first promoted boss in this game, and marks the point from which all bosses from now on will be promoted enemies. Like all bosses before him he will be incredibly tedious to take down, but at least he's inaccurate! Just be glad this isn't FE4 or 8 and Generals don't get the Great Shield ability.

The Ilian mercs were not skilled (they all died) and the Lycian army is much smaller than expected (the mercs and everyone else died). So Legance can only overestimate us at this point.

Here's your hint that Lilina might be in a little trouble and will need saving. She doesn't appear in battle prep, but she will be a contrallable unit from the get-go...

Here to help out is Astolfo. Not Astohl or Astore as some translations have called him prior... Can I have some of that intelligence you've been gathering? I'm not very smart.

Meet Astolfo, the second best reason why it's not worth feeding EXP to Chad. The first best reason is because Chad can't promote and starts with 3 strength.

HP: 90%
STR: 35%
SKL: 40%
SPD: 50%
LCK: 15%
DEF: 20%
RES: 20%

Affinity: Dark (Accuracy, Avoid, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Lilina, Bors, Barthe, Gwendolyn, Igrene

Astolfo is kind of like a prepromote Thief minus the part where thieves cannot promote. His bases are high and his growths are somewhat medicore... But when your thieves won't be leveling up anyway that just makes him the best one. He steals stuff and is less likely to die in the process, while also having pretty decent combat for this point in the game. Even if you have been feeding Chad kills it's very unlike that Astolfo won't outclass him regardless. Of course there's nothing stopping you from using them both, but he should always be the first Thief you consider deploying whenever you need one.

My Rating: 10/10. Thieves are good and he is the best one.

As you can see Lilina is in a bit of trouble. The boss has just talked at length about how he wants her killed... Thankfully it's just a case of moving her into the squares the Archer near here cannot reach. Boy it sure would be embarrassing to forget to move her and get her killed, denying access to both 8x and the golden ending!!

Lilina is much like Caeda from Shadow Dragon in that she's kind of the unofficial second lord of the game. She's very plot important and recruits a couple of units. Unfortunately she's nowhere near as good...

HP: 45%
MAG: 75%
SKL: 20%
SPD: 35%
LCK: 50%
DEF: 10%
RES: 35%

Affinity: Light (Attack, Defense, Accuracy, Critical)
Support Partners: Roy, Bors, Barthe, Ogier, Gonzalez, Marcus, Gwendolyn, Garret, Astolfo, Cecilia

Looking at Lilina's magic growth you might think "wow!". Looking at her base stats and all her other growths, you will then think "oh no!". Lilina does exactly one thing and that thing is hit people hard with magic. Unfortunately she for some reason starts at level 1... In a universe where Lilina started at a reasonable level she'd make good competition for Lugh, but unfortunately her terrible start means he's probably going to outclass her even in magic for a while. Eventually a trained Lilina will hit enemies absurdly hard for high hit (even with her bad skill), but it'll take a long while for her to get there. At least she's got a fast support with Roy! I'm still going to use her anyway though, I've always wanted to make her work but never managed to do it. Also Lugh is dead.

Funnily enough she does have a small niche in LTC runs. Her Roy support gives her both extra might and crit, and with her high magic growth she can eventually do silly things like OHKOing bosses from halfway across the map with a Bolting tome. Growth units and building supports are two things you normally never consider when going for low turn counts, so I think that's fun.

My Rating: 4.5/10. She was done dirty.

If only she had a weapon to use to get herself out of this situation. I'm sure Project Ember gives her her own Prf tome that deals effective damage against Knights or whatever. At least she starts with C tomes so the Elfire you can grab this chapter is kind of its own Prf weapon for her...

Normally this Archer will get bored quickly and make his way left to travel the spiral path to the rest of your army, but it is possible to lure him over to attack your units on the other side of the wall. There's no huge benefit to doing this, but it does mean you can fight him now and not later when more enemies might be rushing you.

Lilina claims she cannot see outside the walls and yet she somehow manages to stumble around to find the one tile where she's not in danger. Maybe if she turned her portrait around she could get a better look at the map behind her?

Lot's basically on par with Lance in terms of tanking now. Unfortunately he's still so inaccurate that he can't really do much to hurt Lilina's would be assassin, but unlike her he doesn't mind a few arrows sticking out of him.

A shame Dorothy's not strong enough to finish him off. Even with all her great levels...

It's okay, she's improving! She'll get good soon enough. In fact I'm pretty sure she's now at Marcus level strength and speed.

Lot's improving a Lot too. Way back I think he used to be doing about 4 damage per swing to these armours. Of course that's partly because they're only getting half of the bonuses...

I would like some spare Chest Keys. Later in the game there's going to start being powerful seige tome users infesting indoor maps like these, so I might start giving keys to units like Elen who don't care about getting magic exploded from a distance.

This opening hallway is just a free EXP ride. Knights are easy to hit, Soldiers are easy to kill, and Archers can be surrounded and poked to death. I've just talked about the danger of seige tomes and the benefits of high res so I can't be too mad at this level.

Look, it's the dead ends! They said Castle Ostia was impregnable, yet it appears to have given birth to triplets. I'd call these three the most forgettable units in the entire cast, but ironically Ogier's forgettability has given him quite the niche fan following.

Ogier AKA Oujay AKA OJ AKA Free Armourslayer is a guy with blue hair and a sword, and possibily the most generic looking FE character imaginable. He's the best of these three, but that's not saying much...

HP: 80%
STR: 40%
SKL: 30%
SPD: 45%
LCK: 55%
DEF: 20%
RES: 15%

Affinity: Wind (Attack, Accuracy, Critical, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Lilina, Barthe, Gwendolyn, Lalum, Bors

Ogier's base stats are quite good for his level, but unfortunately his level is not good for Chapter 8. His growths are pretty decent, he just suffers from not being Dieck, or Rutger, or Fir, or any sword guy with a mount. 8 CON is perfectly fine for a sword user, but even after promotion he's going to struggle to use axes without losing speed. Thankfully this is FE6 and axes are bad enough that that's not so much of a big downside. In a vacuum Ogier is still however quite usable, and considering I have killed 3 of the units I named there I could do worse than tossing some EXP his way. Maybe I will? His high luck will certainly be nice for dealing with crit happy bosses. Unfortunately I only really realised this just now so he won't get much EXP this update. At least he'll have Pirates to hunt in the Western Isles?

My Rating: 5.5/10 - Perfectly fine if you ignore all the other sword users who are better.

Barf is a large inanimate object with, if nothing else, the most unique portrait in the game.

HP: 100%
STR: 60%
SKL: 25%
SPD: 20%
LCK: 20%
DEF: 40%
RES: 2% (!)

Affinity: Ice (Defense, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical Evade)
Support Partners: Lilina, Ogier, Bors, Gwendolyn, Astolfo

Barthe is a Knight boiled down to its purest essence. He has great strength and defense, good reliable HP, and absolutely nothing else. Thanks to his 100% HP growth he is guaranteed to hit level 20/20 with 59 HP one point short of his cap, which is absolutely intended to be a psychic assault on the minds of anyone who loves shiny green numbers.

In theory having a guy who's hard to kill and hits hard would be great, but in practice there's so much holding him back. His low speed undercuts his defense, his bad skill undercuts his offense, and then his bad luck undercuts them both. So he's going to get doubled constantly while being at risk of dying to magic crits and struggling to hit anything. I feel as if IS tried this type of build again with Benny in Conquest, except by then they had the foresight to make him skilled, accurate, resistant, and gave him access to a skill that prevents him from being doubled. Given how desparate I am though, I'm willing to give him a chance... I need a brick wall to tank arrow after arrow in Sacae, and who better than this guy? Crits don't matter if the enemy can't damage him in the first place... He does however have to hit the enemy in order to earn EXP.

My Rating: 2.5/10 - A wall with legs. And even Hector can die to a wall...

Gwendolyn is a super cool name that can be shortened to Wendy, her original Japanese name I keep forgetting isn't her actual name. I remember hearing somewhere that the name Wendy did not exist until it was made up to be used for a character in the original Peter Pan novel, but I'm not 100% sure that's true...

HP: 85%
STR: 40%
SKL: 40%
SPD: 40%
LCK: 45%
DEF: 30%
RES: 10%

Affinity: Fire (Attack, Accuracy, Avoid, Critical)
Support Partners: Lilina, Bors, Barthe, Astolfo, Ogier

Take one look at Gwendolyn's stats and something will immediately become apparent - she sucks. You might be tempted to assume that a level 1 unit who joins in Chapter 8 with such terrible bases might have amazing growths to make up for it, but nah. Wendy is an Est who can only aspire to average levels of competence after extreme amounts of babying. Was she intended as a joke unit from the start, or did the devs really think training her would be worth it? Who knows... Just remember that is literally her first day in the Ostian army.

There is however one tiny redeeming factor for Wendy, and that's the Ostian Triangle Attack. Surround an enemy with all 3 Knights and the third one will be able to initiate an attack that's guaranteed to both hit and crit. Unfortunately it does require using all 3 of these thoroughly mediocre units, but it is kind of cool when it works. Good luck surrounding any moving enemy with 3 four movement units though!!!

Otherwise... don't use Gwendolyn unless you really, really want to bust heads with a girl in giant bright pink armour. She's weak, she's inaccurate, everything doubles her, and from Chapter 9 onwards she's going to be stuck facing either axe users or sword users too fast for her to hit. Meg from Radiant Dawn is one of my favourite FE characters of all time but even she is at least borderline usable...

My Rating: 0.5/10. Participates in the triangle attack which can maybe be a useful boss killing tool.

You can either have this new squad of units break out of the room they're in and start fighting the enemies, or you can wait until the rest of your army catches up and cleans the area out first. Barthe's got enough defense to take a few hits but otherwise this squad isn't particularly great at fighting... I'll let Barthe take a few hits and maybe even get some EXP.

Sue only got this kill because Dorothy missed her shot. I guess accuracy's the one thing she has over Dorothy right now... That and speed. And having a mount.

It's a good thing the enemies here are really dumb and do stupid things like this. The Solder tries to get as close as to the enemy as possible so it stands one tile away from Barthe, blocking off the Archer. The Archer then tries to get as close to the enemy as possible, moving into the tile adjacent to Barthe... At no point will it occur to these enemies to move and rearrange themselves.

I'll make an effort to feed Barthe some kills for EXP. Who knows, maybe he'll turn out great! I might have to give him a Slime Lance so he can have hit rates bettr than this though...

This particular corridor is full of enemies who will wait around until one of them is lured over, at which point they'll art start approaching. There's a mix of melee, ranged, and magic units here which makes it a little difficult to approach.

I'd best get moving and figure out a way to muscle through it though, since Cath and her friend here are about to start looting and I would like for them not to steal all of Hector's stuff before I can do it first.

Marcus is very useful for this exact type of situation as he's the only unit I've got with both good defense and resistance. Of course I could have used the Barrier staff on one of my units... I didn't even remember I had it until writing this update right now.

Oops! This happens way too much for my liking. Sometimes you fat finger a menu and accidentally pick someone up and have to waste multiple actions undoing what you just did... Of course in a normal run I could just savestate out of this, but even misclicks are final in the brutal world of ironman. So someone's going to have to get Lot down.

Dorothy's faster than Sue again. She's meant to be the strength Archer, why's she so fast? Not that I'm complaining of course.

Ideally Lot would have been here to help clear out the enemies, but Barthe accidentally kidnapped him and now Marcus is getting more beat up than I'd like. This type of thing is what makes me miss divine pulse the most, even if my rules wouldn't allow it.

Ogier with the Armourslayer's definitely a force to be reckoned with. So would literally anybody else with D rank swords using this weapon, but I may as well use it to make a bad unit good instead of a good unit better. Lance is however going to be stealing it to face Legance...

Oh! Well thank you very much Mr. Thief. I bet you're going to regret doing this when I steal your Lockpick and kill you for EXP in retaliation.

This little corridor south of the treasure room is full of Mages slinging spells at you from over the wall. It's a decent place to feed EXP to 2 range units... Just watch out for the Aircalibur guy if Shanna is still alive. Which she's not!

The northern path is safer and also has tasty treasure to steal. The Light Brand is a cool sword that can attack from range while counting as Light magic for the sake of the weapon triangle. Unlike later games however it always deals a fixed damage of 10 HP. That's not a lot normally, but maybe against bosses it'll be useful?

That's his 15% luck growth procced again! I'm getting some weird luck with low growths on my healers. Some magic would be nice though.

Here's the first Knight Crest in the game... and the last one you'll be getting for a while. Despite giving you 7 different units who can promote with this item, FE6 is really stingy with the crests for some reason. It's unfortunately part of what makes Knights so underwhelming... in addition to having to deal with poor movement and bad speed, they also have to share a promotion item with one of the most useful classes in the game.

I'm sure if you really wanted you could raise Barthe a single level and then promote him at 10 to get a juggernaut who's very hard to kill. He'd probably fall off fairly quickly as the enemies get stronger much faster than he can, but you could do it!

Dorothy will appreciate this a lot. It'll be a while before enemy fliers start showing up again, but Killer Weapons are incredibly powerful in this game. Maybe she could even steal some boss kills with this?

There's no reason for Lilina to stick around now her jail cell is open. Reinforcements from the south will be arriving soon, so she wants to get out of her cell before they trap her inside of it. Unfortuately she still doesn't have a weapon, but I've been stockpiling tomes to give to her for a while.

Dorothy managed to miss both of her shots against this one Mage, forcing me to spend a Physic on her just to keep her alive. She's been having some really poor luck with hitting things this map. Maybe all the luck with her growths was taken directly from her luck in combat...

At least Physic gives good EXP for every use. Elen's actually quite a bit behind her resistance average here, she needs to step it up!!

Lilina can use this Elfire tome from the get go. Anima tomes are so light in this game that she doesn't lose a single point of speed from it, despite only having 4 CON. Nino in FE7 on the other hand is completely crushed under the weight of the Elfire tome she starts with... Of course Nino actually has a speed stat while Lilina does not.

Here come some reinforcements to kill the Ostian reinforcements if you hadn't moved them already. There's a whopping 4 sets of these guys... You might be tempted to plug the gap with Barthe to stop their advance, but one of these jerks has an Armourslayer to stop that specific thing.

Lilina takes some tomes from Merlinus and immediately turns on the Thief who saved her from her tiny cell. Sure he might have saved her life, but he's also trying to rob from her castle!

Congratulations Barthe, your first level consisted of your one stat you literally cannot not gain and nothing else. Perhaps this is the price I must pay for my sociopathic EXP harvesting.

Cath gets to live because she can be eventually be recruited. Roy sure is quick on the uptake... I guess Chad did steal her Lockpicks before Roy could talk to her the first time. Stealing from the rich is fine, but how about she steal from them and give to me? I spent all my money last chapter...

Oh no... she's a libertarian! Taxes are very important Cath, how do you think we pay to replace all those breakable walls?

Now the reinforcements are pouring in from both sides. This corridor is a pretty good place to hole up and farm some EXP, there's a lot of chokepoints and room to retreat even if I am being approached from two different directions.

Lot and Lance will take the south chokepoint, Barthe will briefly take the west one until the Armourslayer jerk arrives and I can swap him out for someone else.

This level isn't making me confident about my decision to not promote Lot right now... But I'd really like to squeeze just a little bit more defense out of him if I can. As an axe and eventually bow user he'll be my best bet against the Wyvern spam of the late game.

Thank you Roy but Lilina already has enough Fire tomes to burn down a libraray. I will not however object to this free Thunder Roy somehow pulled out of his rear end.

Oh no, Dorothy!!! At least she got luck, she does need that. All these low luck units are making me nervous!

Perhaps this was not so great an idea, Barthe's eating a lot of doubles and crits and the weapon triangle does not solve his skill issue. Just a single defense proc would improve his tankiness a huge amount... He'd be a much different unit if he started like 4 or 5 levels higher.

This is way too many enemies even if the Armourslayer guy cannot reach him yet. I need to get Marcus in here!

Marcus right now is down here helping with this way too crowded chokepoint. Multiple reinforcements spawning in multiple turns in a row from the same place sure gets annoying quick.

Lance might actually cap speed at level 20. I wonder if he'll end up as my Durandal user... He did only start with E swords, but he's been using them a lot.

Roy and Lilina have an instant C support, and the rest of their supports will build very fast. As far as I can tell he's just annoying her with constant questions. That's +1 Attack, +5 Accuracy, and +5 crit with no effort at all though! I think Roy's going to end up with an A support with Lilina and a B from Lance.

Marcus is going to take over this chokepoint until the scary Armourslayer man is gone. Hopefully my 2 range units will be able to snipe over his shoulders so the EXP doesn't completely go to waste.

...okay. This is not the usual type of level Lilina gets. But I'll take it!

Thanks to a combination of his high speed and his supports Lance is really hard to hit now. This Soldier doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of hitting him!

Barthe chucked a Javelin to get this level. It's pretty good! Just a couple more points of defense and he won't even care that he's getting doubled.

Elen gets magic, Lilina... doesn't? I have tried to use Lilina a few times and every single time she's turned out awful, refusing to ever hit her 75% growth. This Lilina is getting some pretty good levels, but she still isn't hitting her magic growth... Weird.

He sure is. You two have been next to each other for days! Maybe Lot's not good at making conversation.

Obviously a man named Lance is the perfect person to axe about the weapon triangle. It's like Pokemon type matchups, they don't always make sense if you think about them but they're so deeply carved into my brain that they're just a fact of life to me. Of course axes beat lances! That's just how physics works. Their C support gives them both +1 attack, +1 damage reduction, +5 avoid and +5 crit evade. Doubling up on the same affinity gives the most stats per support but unfortunately Lot does not gain any of the accuracy he sorely needs from this arrangement.

Oh there's magic. You keep getting that. I don't want to have to replace you with Hugh, he's expensive!

Now this guy is dead and Barthe can go back to his role of being a brick wall people run into. Putting this guy here in the first place was mean!

Oh! There's... there's two of them.

...i never thought to check

Or maybe I did check and I didn't realise I wasn't looking at the same unit? Who knows.

Well look on the bright side, by dying now you save me from having wasted more EXP when you inevitably die later.

Unfortunately that happened at the absolute worst possible time... A misclick with the Rescue command led to all my units behind Barthe being exposed in a terrible formation. I did anticipate that he might die in the chokepoint anyway, but I assumed that would be at the end of enemy phase after multiple crits and not right at the start to a second Armourslayer!

Thank you for not dying and avoiding what could have been a much bigger tragedy. I'm very grateful!

And thank you for being improbably amazing. I think Dorothy was the unit I had accidentally rescued, so Saul's chances of survival were even lower than what they could have been thanks to his support partner not being there...

It's okay Lilina, you can gain whatever stats you want. You can be fast with bad magic like Lugh!

That dumb slip up with Barthe has put a damper on things, now I just want to get the chapter over with... Less so because I miss him and more because of how close I just came to losing Saul.

Now for the last of the treasure. The Silver Axe is for Lot, the Guiding Ring is going to Elen. I'll promote her as soon as I can buy a Light tome...

Oh, if only I had a Hammer! Then Lot could be missing these shots much more frequently. I guess I'll wait for Lance to make his way over...

The Elysian Whip will probably go to Melady in the future, the Secret Book I'm not sure about. Probably Lot? I don't think I want to use Gonzalez if I'm going Sacae, he'll really struggle to hit anything there even with stat boosters.

Lance is of course my best bet here. Still a sub 50% hit rate though, even with all of his supports.

With Lilina's help Roy can just about contribute to this fight too. He looks pretty cool when dodging!

Oh hell yeah! Just one more level to go. He'll probably get the last one from killing the boss of the next map. These are incredible gains, even if his lack of skill is starting to show a little.

It took a few turns to set this up, but when I saw I could I couldn't not. Let's let Lilina do something cool.

Oh no Legance, the assassination hasn't failed...

The target has just been altered.

Lucky 7! Now she's about as good as Lugh was before he died. If only I had a flier to stick her on an island fort in Chapter 9...

41 turns of slowly crawing to the throne and dealing with reinforcements. The next map's a short and sweet one, I'll be glad for the change of pace!

Yes! He is. Do not ask any further questions about this technical truth.

Next time: Hector's secret volcano lair.

Yeah... My bad. At least it wasn't someone good! Honestly this might have been a blessing in disguise, Douglas will do Barthe's job in Sacae much better without needing any EXP investment. He'd have only slowed me down in the Western Isles anyway, axe land is no place for a slow lance user. Still though, I was looking forward to being the only FE player in the world to have trained Barthe.

I'll see if I can put up a poll for which path I take through the Western Isles later. Of course it's possible a Pirate might destroy one of the villages and make my decision for me, but it shouldn't come to that....

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh yeah, no Shanna to airdrop people means everyone has to take the long way around in chapter 9, doesn't it. And for that matter, whoever you send to the left in 8x is done contributing after they clear out those enemies.

...What a weird Lilina.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
dorothy, dorothy, dorothy

I guess it's good Lilina's hitting her SPD and DEF growth now rather than later? Works on getting her out of doubled range for the time being, there's plenty more levels to hit MAG on. I imagine RES on enemies will continue to be low for quite some time, moreso than their STR and SPD.

I'm not sure why they thought it was fine to toss you not only 2 level 1 units this far in, but also a level 3. I understand giving you units to level, but they have all the durability of a paper bag at this point, even not playing on Hard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they generally overestimate the usefulness of Knights... By quite a lot.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In Project Ember Lilina doesn't have a custom tome, but she does start with a basic Fire to deal with the archer. However, she does inexplicably have a conversation with Wolt where she gives him an anti-archer bow.

midnight lasagna posted:

I'll make an effort to feed Barthe some kills for EXP. Who knows, maybe he'll turn out great! I might have to give him a Slime Lance so he can have hit rates bettr than this though...

slime lance

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It pains me to admit, but deep inside I'm kind of hoping things get so desperate you end up using Wendy

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember using her, but only with save states.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Even in an ironman run, I'd be inclined to say rewinding is OK for misclicks. The game is about tactical challenges, not the challenges of navigating a menu.

Bogart posted:

slime lance

slime lance

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
rip barthe, thought of slime lance and died

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Bogart posted:

slime lance
Yeah, the Slime Lance! It has high accuracy because it sticks to your opponent.

megane posted:

It pains me to admit, but deep inside I'm kind of hoping things get so desperate you end up using Wendy
I would rather use her as bait before I even consider trying to train her in an ironman. But I promise if I somehow end up in a situation where my only two units left are Roy and Gwen then I will maybe give her some EXP.

MonstrousMouse posted:

Even in an ironman run, I'd be inclined to say rewinding is OK for misclicks. The game is about tactical challenges, not the challenges of navigating a menu.
There is probably some upper limit of misclick tolerance I can allow myself where I won't let the entire run die to me accidentally hitting end turn and leaving Roy in range of a billion enemies. Knowing myself though I would probably fudge the definition of "misclick" a little to get away with things I probably should be owning up to...

Poll Time!

In Chapter 9 I'm going to be given the choice of picking one of two different routes that will span two chapters each. Each route will consist of one mostly straightforward map with enemy ballisticians as a minor nuisance, and one absolute nightmare map set in a village full of optional objectives that can be very difficult to fulfill. Both routes give you the axe users Geese and Gonzalez (but gonzo starts 5 levels earlier with the exact same stats in route A), the recruitable enemies Tate and Klein, either Lalum or Elphin as a refresher unit, and either Echidna or Bartre as an axe-using prepromote.

Route A gives you the easy map followed by the hard map. You get Lalum the Dancer who's a bit luckier and faster than Elphin but even less capable of surviving a single hit, as well as Echidna who's a fast and skilled Hero with an unfortunate case of GBA woman CON that limits her ability to use axes without being weighed down. You also get level 5 Gonzales instead of level 10, but honestly his growths are so lopsided that the 5 extra levels are unlikely to make much of a difference to his final stats even if you do grind him out to level 20/20. IMO this route has the better units but is also a little bit harder.

Route B gives you the hard map first and then the easy one, although its hard map is easier than A's hard map and its easy map is harder than A's easy map. You get Elphin the Bard instead of Lalum, along with Bartre who is a Warrior with incredibe strength and pretty high luck and HP and not much else. His stats are quite different from Lot's so he's not going to be redundant, although I don't think a hard hitting axe user will be as useful as a fast and skilled sword user like Echidna. Me not being able to recruit Fir does mean that if I want to pick up Karel in the second to last chapter then I need to recruit Bartre... But Karel kinda sucks so it's not a big deal.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

'Tis but a flesh wound!

I got Elvis on my run so i'm voting maximum Lalum.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I say Route A

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm thinking A is probably a better idea. With how many units have been dying, I think you're going to want Echidne. (Bartre would allow you to get Karel, but a lot of very specific units have to live for you to even get to the chapter where he could join... that seems like a very risky gamble.)

I do wish I could vote for B, just because everyone always picks the A route so it's kind of boring (and I like Elphin's concept).

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I've always rationalized the weapon triangle as fast/weak beats strong/slow beats balanced beats fast/weak. I don't think this works for the "ranged" triangle in Fates, though...

Also voting route A, making sure to say that here because I'm pretty sure (that) strawpoll is busted and has been for a while.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If both routes give Bartre and Karel then A. This is where I stopped playing fe6 tbh but man I still love 7

Guess not so B

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 19, 2022

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Let's go B! See some Bartre and Karla action.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Nthing Route A. Both because its second map is a nightmare and because yeah, you could really use the more competent of the prepromotes on offer at this point.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
B is a lot less punishing for Ironman strictly because of the fact that the "Hard" map being more difficult is difficult because they hosed with the RNG of movement more than because it's actually hard.

Though I say that, but I lost no units on the harder B map and 2 units on the easier one due to getting careless and impatient, respectively. Oops.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
B because I like Elphin more than Lalum.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Oops, I forgot to make it clear that I had posted a straw poll and now I have two very different sets of results. Here's the poll you can vote in although if both results end up being different then i'll probably just go based on what people have posted in the thread here. I still haven't played 8x yet so there's a while to decide!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ventadour posted:

B because I like Elphin more than Lalum.

midnight lasagna posted:

Oops, I forgot to make it clear that I had posted a straw poll and now I have two very different sets of results. Here's the poll you can vote in although if both results end up being different then i'll probably just go based on what people have posted in the thread here. I still haven't played 8x yet so there's a while to decide!

I voted in the poll but it seems busted because it claims there are 0 votes for Lalum's route and that is most definitely the one i picked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

vilkacis posted:

I voted in the poll but it seems busted because it claims there are 0 votes for Lalum's route and that is most definitely the one i picked.

I voted for A, too. And it didn't register either :(