Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd probably take at least a 4th season to go through the rest of the manga, i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the last two seasons were each about 90 chapters long and they've got 130 left to adapt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Which would line up just about perfectly if they did three cours

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I watched the first episode of Date A Live last night and boy was that a blast of nostalgia for that type of anime.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1526224215178870784

Kind of surprising since it's finished aside from a few more afterword chapters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sinky posted:

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1526224215178870784

Kind of surprising since it's finished aside from a few more afterword chapters.

Not that surprising since that'd be ideal to help promote the manga since it's over. The anime wasn't all that spectacular though which was a shame

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Islamic Shock posted:

Yes, the central plot really is that loving stupid. Watch it anyway if you're curious as to how the hell that dumbass premise ends up making an anime that's actually pretty okay.

Date A Live is one of those shows that should be incredibly bad but they're so committed to the bit and willing to have fun with it that it ends up being enjoyable. It is the epitome of anime-as-a-genre-rather-than-a-medium.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Anybody else watch Bubble? The story is...straightforward, but as an excuse for Wit to spend 90 minutes animating movie-quality parkour in a gorgeous urban decay setting full of gravitational anomalies (one of the writers wrote Gravity Rush and it shows) it was well worth it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How the Frick is that Anya Smug not a smilie yet?!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Sindai posted:

Anybody else watch Bubble? The story is...straightforward, but as an excuse for Wit to spend 90 minutes animating movie-quality parkour in a gorgeous urban decay setting full of gravitational anomalies (one of the writers wrote Gravity Rush and it shows) it was well worth it.
Where can one watch it? Looks pretty.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sindai posted:

It didn't have much to say but heck, I enjoyed it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

How the Frick is that Anya Smug not a smilie yet?!
Be the change you want to see and petition for it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(SEASON 3 SEASON 3 SEASON 3)

KonoSuba new anime information will be revealed on May 28

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hell yes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

uhhh complete opposite of this lol. the story and characters were so miserably bad i can't even good conscience recommend it as an empty spectacle. not helped by 99% of people probably just watching it at home instead of a theatre where its few strengths could shine.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

at last, a movie for the people who call animation "graphics"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know it's become a bit passé to go 'holy poo poo Birdie Wing' in this thread, but holy poo poo Birdie Wing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I know it's become a bit passé to go 'holy poo poo Birdie Wing' in this thread, but holy poo poo Birdie Wing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is bubble the one on Netflix ?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

fuckin word

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kater posted:

Is bubble the one on Netflix ?

ayup

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dont expect a narrative masterpiece. do expect vivy-like sakuga

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

I really don't see how you can call it straightforward with both the narrative and themes being confused messes, making for a very tedious runtime.

And the song they keep referencing that bubble girl has is like three notes long, but man are they an annoying three notes.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

I liked it well enough, when it remembers to be a crowd pleaser teen romance parkour movie, it tells it's story w a propulsive focus and there's plenty of cute things I liked about it. I liked how the male lead's initial reactions to Uta's puppy love are "whatever" and "ew, personal space" and "wow she's good at parkour. She was singing or somethin, I dunno. She can be Song." There's definitely some classic Urobochi in there w the cheeky ways he works in lore/exposition and the surprisingly nifty gadgetry(loved how Undertaker's sweet tech are these cute lil squirt nozzle heels.) I almost admired the way the focus on forward momentum extends to keeping most of the cast the same basic understandable archetypes from beginning to end, just the dedication displayed throughout in just continuously doggin on the long haired not-a-rival the. whole. time. Even in his heroic moments. Hilarious.

When glasses lady gets kidnapped for the big showdown w Undertaker, there's like no stakes to the moment at all lol. You're never worried anything will really happen, just a dash of drama to spice things up. And I guess the lame thing about the ending is you could could apply that to it, too.

When it gets "confusing" is all at the end, the loudly announced third act, and for me, it was mostly a matter of not setting very solid stakes. The Third Impact-y bubble fall imagery was neat but mainly I was thinkin, "so, if she goes back, does that stop the fall, or cause it?" There are interesting ideas that are left on the table to go for the most straightforward save the princess model they could do, and love bubbles save the day. My mental disconnect came from being unclear on that front and what was at stake, but then I just took poo poo at face value and relaxed lol.

As a movie, it's mostly a fun time, but as an adaptation of The Little Mermaid(one of the more heteronormative out there), it's hard to know what to make of it, the meta way it uses a version of the story itself to inform the lead's character and help her learn humanity. The way it comments on it. The musings on spirals and reverberations of reunions and parting, for good and ill, the implications of the ending, do, in a nerdy sci-fi kinda way, vibe in spirit w the original story's monologues on the everlasting human soul. And, I mean, even if it meant the obvious self-sacrifice, it was her choice that let her be w her man in the end, and that IS a different ending. It's humanist and positive in a doofily obvious way that reminds me a lil of yuasa's recent stuff really.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why does everybody in Shikimori have such bizarrely shiny eyes? It's like the hair in Gankutsuou, but instead of having hair that's a portal to the Plaid Dimension, everybody's irises are a gateway to the Shiny Zone.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You mean your eyes don't shine?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They definitely don't have that blurring effect like they were done with CGI.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
How is that show? I watched the first episode and while it's a kind of funny concept I don't really see how it could go anywhere.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

How is that show? I watched the first episode and while it's a kind of funny concept I don't really see how it could go anywhere.
Underwhelming, compared to the manga. Which in itself quickly becomes light slice of life.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://youtu.be/AcfZvM44Tio

Lum.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bring back the Lum av buyer

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That was a good era.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Some say it’s never left us

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

more like bum, which is what this looks like. rear end. bad, it looks bad.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's a very good cute wholesome and fluffy romcom SoL devoid of the usual BS angst, drama, etc., featuring a very nice boy who is shy and awkward has bad luck and his very cool girlfriend. People in certain circles REALLY do not seem to like that about the series.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its one of those series with only mildly funny comedy and no drama so you really have to be into just watching the couple be cute together. not enough there for me. the same team did the annoying senpai one a couple seasons ago and that was the same deal

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That was a good era.

“Was”?

What do you mean “was”? :colbert:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shikamori isn't bad but it is also so very middle of the road and that stands out when you air during a season that has Kaguya as a romcom and immediately after Dress up Darling

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

doomrider7 posted:

It's a very good cute wholesome and fluffy romcom SoL devoid of the usual BS angst, drama, etc., featuring a very nice boy who is shy and awkward has bad luck and his very cool girlfriend. People in certain circles REALLY do not seem to like that about the series.
i feel western fandom has been suspicious of "nice guy" romcoms, probably going back to when love hina was dominant in its generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
angst, drama, etc. are ftw

though more seriously i dunno how you consider not having those unique traits that's a whole lotta anime and manga. and i haven't really seen big controversy about shikimori just kinda seems like a show that exists