Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Gripweed posted:

We were talking about government action. The government not doing anything about the beef industry is the problem. Not your burgers. No one said you can't have a burger. No one called you a bad person. Not for eating a burger, at least.

Not trying to argue but you are moving the goalposts here.

Failed Imagineer made that statement about condemning billions. Kith posted the chart in response to it and said it was incorrect to scold anyone with that statement. You responded by asking for singular proof of scolding, which was easy enough as you quoted the guy who quoted the original condemning to billions post.

Imagineer didn't even bring up government action in their prior posts, just blanket statements about not eating beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The usual :qq: , and cope that you get when you point out the gluttony of individual Americans is melting the planet.

CommieGIR posted:

There are significantly bigger issues to fix before we slaughter every last beef cow.

Unless you were under the impression that they'd be allowed to survive, a species almost entirely dependent on human care due to selective breeding.

To your points:

- you don't say? Which is the one thing we're allowed do right now to avert the deaths of billions then? Congrats on sounding like a Koch brothers think tank

- you don't say? No more moocows? Am I supposed to be appalled at the mass slaughter of a species, when they are slaughtered on a global industrial scale every minute of every day? I'm absolutely fine with there being one cow per million humans, or no domesticated cattle breeding stock at all. Also lol at the idea of the McDonalds corporation executing Order 66 on every bovine simultaneously.

Anyway, nothing more to add, the above were rhetorical questions, I won't keep harping on, there haven't been any serious counterarguments so no need to :regd08:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 19, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1527021876333137921?s=20&t=VAqOzkx7E668l2ghBvZHqg

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah it owns and needs to happen more often. “Anger is a gift” as Paul Ryan’s favorite musician use to say.

Looking at a video like that, or worse any data on climate change, how can one not be angry? Anger is natural, sometimes useful, and currently extremely justified. We should be as angry as we can healthily sustain.

Particularly wrt climate change, anger is absolutely a necessary part of reckoning with our situation, and much better than despair. People in your life who question or disapprove of this rage obviously can't or won't grasp the severity of the situation, not yet.

Honestly if we were more eusocial (forgive my sloppy use of the word) we'd be tearing this all down around us so that future generations could have a chance.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This may have been discussed already but I missed if it was within the last couple pages, but can someone break down the 5th Circuit's decision for me? Based on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1527009488301170688

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

This may have been discussed already but I missed if it was within the last couple pages, but can someone break down the 5th Circuit's decision for me? Based on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1527009488301170688

The argument is that the constitution doesn't permit congress to pass a law that creates an organization that can "pass laws" (write regulations) via delegated power.

If this rule stands all regulation by the executive branch will become unconstitutional, and any and all regulation will have to go through a congress which will be completely deadlocked, therefore turning our country into an unregulated third world hell-scape.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's a pants-on-head stupid decision which should obviously be shot down on appeal out of hand, BUT [you already know how the rest of this sentence is going to go]

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My understanding is that the decision, while heinous, is narrower and principally has to do with a specific kind of ALJ hearing process. This SCOTUS has had a chance to obliterate all admin law before and not taken the opportunity.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dietrich posted:

If this rule stands all regulation by the executive branch will become unconstitutional, and any and all regulation will have to go through a congress which will be completely deadlocked, therefore turning our country into an unregulated third world hell-scape.

And hopefully the other branches will finally tell the judiciary to gently caress off

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

And hopefully the other branches will finally tell the judiciary to gently caress off

There is literally no reason to not do this, but who would? Because I don’t think it wood be the decorum poisoned democrats.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Democrats wouldn't do it because decorum, Republicans wouldn't do it because the courts are going to go their way for several generations anyway

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BRJurgis posted:

Looking at a video like that, or worse any data on climate change, how can one not be angry? Anger is natural, sometimes useful, and currently extremely justified. We should be as angry as we can healthily sustain.

Particularly wrt climate change, anger is absolutely a necessary part of reckoning with our situation, and much better than despair. People in your life who question or disapprove of this rage obviously can't or won't grasp the severity of the situation, not yet.

Honestly if we were more eusocial (forgive my sloppy use of the word) we'd be tearing this all down around us so that future generations could have a chance.

The point of the probe isn't "don't be angry" it's that "D&D posts need to have content beyond "I'm angry."" Posting is not in fact political activism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

One can only wish.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1526937209626144773?t=BkXmH68q0V1VpkNAGLdyFQ&s=19

It doesn't look like republican extremism is going to bail the Democrats out this midterm in terms of aggregate polling. Maybe the particular candidates will make a difference in certain races

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1526937209626144773?t=BkXmH68q0V1VpkNAGLdyFQ&s=19

It doesn't look like republican extremism is going to bail the Democrats out this midterm in terms of aggregate polling. Maybe the particular candidates will make a difference in certain races

I'm assuming this might change when the actual ruling is passed down.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nothing will be moving the needles politically as long as prices for food, shelter, healthcare & fuel continue their stratospheric climbs in this country.

This election may as well be called the Maslow Cycle given the national sentiment right now, and that only feeds into anti-immigrant hysteria, which continues to rank fairly high in issues polling.

I've actually seen liberals in the wild (DU) post that Everything Will Change in June, when televised congressional hearings into America's Darkest Day, 1/6, Never Forget :911: and offhand I can't think of an approach more tonedeaf to your average American voter.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

I'm assuming this might change when the actual ruling is passed down.

Yeah, outside our bubble where political nerds like us live, average voters that I've come across have had the attitude of "whats this about? There's some rumor that the court might possibly throw out Roe v Wade? Whatever, I've heard about that for years, and its never actually happened."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Generic ballot is interesting. By summer of 2017 Democrats were +8 on the generic ballot for 2018 (in 538's polling average), and they stayed at about that margin until the election. Democrats won the House popular vote by 8.6% in that election, so the polls were pretty good.

People seem to be expecting a much bigger (opposite) wave than 2018, but this generic ballot has been stuck at R+2.5 for months and their lead hasn't grown at all. And even with the large number of undecideds Dems are polling higher (42.6%) than Republicans did in November 2018 (42.0%).

Now I don't think it's apples to apples, for a bunch of reasons, and this discrepancy doesn't mean that Democrats are necessarily better off than 2018 Republicans, but it is data that goes against the prevailing narrative that November will resemble 2010 or 2014. I haven't really seen anybody dive into what it does mean, or how much it means. Soon individual race polling will start coming out and things should come into a bit sharper focus.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rigel posted:

Yeah, outside our bubble where political nerds like us live, average voters that I've come across have had the attitude of "whats this about? There's some rumor that the court might possibly throw out Roe v Wade? Whatever, I've heard about that for years, and its never actually happened."

Really? My experience has been the complete opposite. Everyone I've spoken to understands it just fine (it's been everywhere in the news). They just seem to have accepted it in the same way that they've accepted all the other atrocities in the recent past, which would definitely explain the polling.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

The usual :qq: , and cope that you get when you point out the gluttony of individual Americans is melting the planet.

To your points:

- you don't say? Which is the one thing we're allowed do right now to avert the deaths of billions then? Congrats on sounding like a Koch brothers think tank

- you don't say? No more moocows? Am I supposed to be appalled at the mass slaughter of a species, when they are slaughtered on a global industrial scale every minute of every day? I'm absolutely fine with there being one cow per million humans, or no domesticated cattle breeding stock at all. Also lol at the idea of the McDonalds corporation executing Order 66 on every bovine simultaneously.

Anyway, nothing more to add, the above were rhetorical questions, I won't keep harping on, there haven't been any serious counterarguments so no need to :regd08:

Just to add to this very correct post, cattle account for something like 35% of all mammal biomass on earth thanks to humans. Wild mammals — every whale, elephant, etc — only account for 4%. So yeah, we have a long way to go before we have to worry about the extinction of the livestock cattle.

A lot of environmental policies we are faced with disproportionately harm the poor, because that’s the way our global society is set up, eg transitioning from fossil fuels. But saying that India shouldn’t stop using coal would probably get you (rightfully) mocked in this thread.

Climate change also disproportionately harms the poor, and American health outcomes related to high consumption of beef are not very good in the first place, to put it mildly. I think the chances of America putting the burgers down on their own is very unlikely (as evidenced by the responses here) which is why I wish there was more pressure from the international community, especially in the form of sanctions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

is pepsi ok posted:

Really? My experience has been the complete opposite. Everyone I've spoken to understands it just fine (it's been everywhere in the news). They just seem to have accepted it in the same way that they've accepted all the other atrocities in the recent past, which would definitely explain the polling.

Yeah, the end of Roe v Wade would only juice Democratic enthusiasm if they believed that voting for Democrats would lead to the restoration of abortion rights. Which makes no sense because the Democrats are in power now. They control both houses of Congress and the Presidency, and yet are doing nothing to protect abortion rights.

I think at this point voters have largely accepted that voting for Democrats doesn't result in the policies Democratic voters want being enacted. The only point in voting Democrat is to slow the slide. And if that's the case, why would enthusiasm change because of any given issue? The slide is built in, were going down, it's unavoidable. You vote for Democrats because you think they'll slow it down enough that you can still get through the next couple years.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, the end of Roe v Wade would only juice Democratic enthusiasm if they believed that voting for Democrats would lead to the restoration of abortion rights. Which makes no sense because the Democrats are in power now. They control both houses of Congress and the Presidency, and yet are doing nothing to protect abortion rights.

I think at this point voters have largely accepted that voting for Democrats doesn't result in the policies Democratic voters want being enacted. The only point in voting Democrat is to slow the slide. And if that's the case, why would enthusiasm change because of any given issue? The slide is built in, were going down, it's unavoidable. You vote for Democrats because you think they'll slow it down enough that you can still get through the next couple years.

This is the way I see it as well. people have fully internalized that there is nobody out there fighting for their beliefs and that the only thing currently available is a tourniquet to slow the bleeding. We're still bleeding out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

rscott posted:

I was never really sure about the theory that it would. Even if we just uncritically accept the premise that handing Republicans a huge win would benefit the losing team, the Democrat controlled senate just voted down abortion rights last week so why would anyone change their vote to Democrat over this issue, it doesn't actually matter for abortion rights whether Democrats hold congress or not soooo

At least arguments that it will matter at the state level make some kind of sense

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 19, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Can we stop with this disingenuous bullshit that dems are doing nothing? They forced a vote in the Senate that passed the House and the one Democrat everyone loves to hate voted against it. They even got Casey to switch his vote. One Democrat does not equal 'the Democrats.' But nobody mentions self-professed pro-abortion Republican senators Collins and Murkowski deciding to vote no. The have a tie in the Senate that can be broken by the vice-president and an opposition party that is lockstep in doing nothing but being the party of no.

Dems are also doing plenty at the state level to protect abortion rights, where they actually have the power to do so. See Illinois, California, New York etc.

And polls belie your opinion that voters have accepted any such thing.

quote:

Maybe more significantly, Democratic interest in the midterms has increased – from 50 percent of Democrats in March who indicated a high level of interest (either a “9” or “10” on a 10-point scale) to 61 percent now.

That’s compared to Republicans who were at 67 percent high interest two months ago, versus 69 percent now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oracle posted:

Can we stop with this disingenuous bullshit that dems are doing nothing? They forced a vote in the Senate that passed the House and the one Democrat everyone loves to hate voted against it. They even got Casey to switch his vote. One Democrat does not equal 'the Democrats.'

OK, so they tried to do something but then they couldn't. So the Democrats accomplished nothing. Yes, Democrats often have excuses for why they couldn't give the voters what they want but I don't see how that matters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean in theory, if abortion does become a state-level issue, that could logically drive up voter engagement a hell of a lot. There's nothing you can do about supreme court justices for the foreseeable future, but state races could matter in a very real way very soon.

I also think people haven't quite internalized that yet (possibly because, well, it technically hasn't happened yet) so it's still kind of this limbo situation where at the national level, it does appear that the Democrats have lost this battle and can't do anything about it, and there seems to be no reason to vote based on it. And obviously, how voters feel is more important than actual logic in this discussion.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

OK, so they tried to do something but then they couldn't. So the Democrats accomplished nothing. Yes, Democrats often have excuses for why they couldn't give the voters what they want but I don't see how that matters.

Also if voters thought that Dems were doing something (regardless of what us politics watchers know) I think we'd have expected to see increase support for the Dems to go with these increase supports for abortion rights.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

He’s just rubbing it in, Cheney probably cackled

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
gee who could have seen this coming

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1527291894275149827

quote:

A follow-up survey the bureau conducted to measure the national tally's accuracy found significant net undercount rates in six states: Arkansas (5.04%), Florida (3.48%), Illinois (1.97%), Mississippi (4.11%), Tennessee (4.78%) and Texas (1.92%).

It also uncovered significant net overcount rates in eight states — Delaware (5.45%), Hawaii (6.79%), Massachusetts (2.24%), Minnesota (3.84%), New York (3.44%), Ohio (1.49%), Rhode Island (5.05%) and Utah (2.59%).

Still, the 2020 results stand in stark contrast to the findings from the bureau's follow-up survey for the 2010 census, which had no statistically significant over- or undercounts for any state.

These revelations come after the population totals from a census beset by the coronavirus pandemic and years of interference from former President Donald Trump's administration have already been used to divvy up seats in the House of Representatives, as well as votes in the Electoral College, for the next decade.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kith posted:

beef is nowhere near the leading producer of greenhouse gases and scolding people for eating beef when "having enough food at all" is an unreached goal is pretty loving terrible of you. the world is not going to melt from cow farts, it's going to melt because of the overwhelming usage of fossil fuels and pollution

This is debatable. One needs to include deforestation in that calculation.

Animal Ag is on a par with transportation.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Great rant against the people complaining about pro-choice peacefully protesting at SCOTUS residences and elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOb3opY6eHs

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Just to preempt, the answer to "what's up with Rhode Island" is "the Mafia"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Great rant against the people complaining about pro-choice peacefully protesting at SCOTUS residences and elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOb3opY6eHs

That is not a great rant. it is a middle-aged white woman in her kitchen talking to her phone. it is the liberal equivalent of a guy wearing sunglasses while making a vertical video in his truck. Are the words accurate? sure. Is it useful, practical, or something anyone would spend time watching? nope. Honestly, who is that video for?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean in theory, if abortion does become a state-level issue, that could logically drive up voter engagement a hell of a lot. There's nothing you can do about supreme court justices for the foreseeable future, but state races could matter in a very real way very soon.

It's pretty much been a state-level issue for the last 30 years. While it might get some people out to vote in states with heavy restrictions or outright bans, the redder the state, the more restrictive its laws on abortion, and the less likely that the needle is moved on the issue.

I do agree that state & local elections matter, though.

Oracle posted:

Can we stop with this disingenuous bullshit that dems are doing nothing? They forced a vote in the Senate that passed the House and the one Democrat everyone loves to hate voted against it. They even got Casey to switch his vote. One Democrat does not equal 'the Democrats.' But nobody mentions self-professed pro-abortion Republican senators Collins and Murkowski deciding to vote no. The have a tie in the Senate that can be broken by the vice-president and an opposition party that is lockstep in doing nothing but being the party of no.

Dems are also doing plenty at the state level to protect abortion rights, where they actually have the power to do so. See Illinois, California, New York etc.

And polls belie your opinion that voters have accepted any such thing.

Ok, now show us the text succinctly distilling these points in a sentence or two in response to a voter who says "Dems are worthless on the matter; why should I vote for them?" while you're doing GOTV texting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That is not a great rant. it is a middle-aged white woman in her kitchen talking to her phone. it is the liberal equivalent of a guy wearing sunglasses while making a vertical video in his truck. Are the words accurate? sure. Is it useful, practical, or something anyone would spend time watching? nope. Honestly, who is that video for?

gently caress I clicked it and I forgot to use an incognito tab, rip.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is the way I see it as well. people have fully internalized that there is nobody out there fighting for their beliefs and that the only thing currently available is a tourniquet to slow the bleeding. We're still bleeding out.
The Dems just kind of shrugging at all of this and continuing to support an anti abortion House member despite him having a significant primary challenger is absolutely not helping

If the party isn’t sounding the alarms, why are average people going to care?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Nothing will be moving the needles politically as long as prices for food, shelter, healthcare & fuel continue their stratospheric climbs in this country.

This election may as well be called the Maslow Cycle given the national sentiment right now, and that only feeds into anti-immigrant hysteria, which continues to rank fairly high in issues polling.

I've actually seen liberals in the wild (DU) post that Everything Will Change in June, when televised congressional hearings into America's Darkest Day, 1/6, Never Forget :911: and offhand I can't think of an approach more tonedeaf to your average American voter.

Do Americans really only understand politics in sheer black and white terms of opposition and extremes nowadays? Like if inflation is bad under a Democratic president and congress then magically it will just be the super polar opposite under a GOP one and you'd suddenly have a roaring economy and rise in wages, social security and standard of living to counter inflation or whatever from the party that has fought those sorts of things tooth and nail for decades as "government handouts" or "overeach"? Like I'm just trying to understand the magic thinking possibly at play here when the GOP has no real platform or interest in fixing the U.S economy, is simply using it as a background prop for an election cycle, and their sole focus is very clearly on culture wars and "securing elections from fraud" and not much else.

To me the decision in the election remains between hosed vs. turbo hosed and not sheer poverty vs. sheer prosperity because I exist in a world that doesn't revolve around polarization, but I guess America really does no longer work that way in any capacity.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

gently caress I clicked it and I forgot to use an incognito tab, rip.

:negative:

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Dems just kind of shrugging at all of this and continuing to support an anti abortion House member despite him having a significant primary challenger is absolutely not helping

If the party isn’t sounding the alarms, why are average people going to care?

They are too busy getting hosed every day to have the free time to care, or they are busy making youtube videos in their kitchen, or they end up like Jimmy Dore and go full fash because it is easier or profitable.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well he lost, so at least Democratic voters seem to give a poo poo, which party leadership might notice at some point. And whatever their intentions for Schrader were are irrelevant now, because the voters said hell no.

e: Just remembered Cuellar also has a challenger! Hope he loses too. That primary is on Tuesday.

Jayapal endorsed his challenger, at least. The party is not in lockstep, and so far progressives are winning this primary season.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The immediate bipartisan action to prevent women from protesting at the homes of the justices just shows how much :decorum: is valued by this admin over action. Sorry.