Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

I think the 2 hour return window made demos less appealing for devs, you can demo it without them having to make a special slice of stuff.

Steam will bitch at you and threaten to stop giving you refunds if you use returns as demos. I've personally gotten an email from them saying as much.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, here are some notable indie games that have demos, particularly for those deck owners who are cash-strapped or just haven't got as large a backlog as others:

first, for some reason Deltarune Ch 1 & 2 is listed as a demo rather than a free game, so idk what that's about, but you can find it that way

Ghostrunner
Factorio
Card Shark
The Wandering Village
The Planet Crafter
Carto
Terra Nil
Nine Sols (Detention/Devotion dev)
Inscryption
Ultrakill
Blasphemous
Wildfire
My Time at Sandrock
We Were Here Together (note: mandatory co-op game)
Creeper World 4
Tinykin
Souldiers
Turbo Overkill
Crystal Project
Neon Abyss
Norco
The Riftbreaker
Patrick's Parabox
Spiritfarer
Supraland (and Six Inches Under)
Fallen Aces
Death Trash
ANNO Mutationem
The Rewinder
Cursed to Golf
Eternal Threads
Lake
Going Under
FIST: Forged in Shadow Tech
The Last Campfire
Gloomwood
BarnFinders
Cat Quest II
Monster Sanctuary
Astalon

also, not an indie game, but Dragon Quest XI has a pretty lengthy demo whose save should carry over into the full game

basically, unlike AAA games, indies still put out demos pretty frequently, most of what I listed are games from the last couple of years (or are releasing later this year). next month is gonna have another Steam Next Fest as well so that'll launch a whole slew of new demos. but that list can get you started

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Tales of Arise also has a demo, it convinced me to buy the game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone running many mods on the Deck yet? Especially curious about mods that replace various windows dlls to get their hooks in. For instance this Dragon's Dogma mod: dinput8.dll hooks.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Aya Neo 2 has been announced, and it will feature a substantially more powerful SoC than the Steam Deck: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/aya-neo-2-taps-rembrandt-apu-to-outmuscle-the-steam-deck

The GPU is theoretically capable of 2x the performance of the Steam Deck's GPU (+50% cores, +37.5% max boost clock), and the Zen 3 CPU should make it far better at emulation. But you should also probably expect it to be something like $1500.

So let me ask you a question because this has always bothered me and why I ultimately went with Apple devices.

Even though it's a powerhouse, isn't the software under it important? Like I can see valve building out steam os more and more... but no idea about this one.

Do they have their own os? Would you just run windows/Linux/steam os itself and hope someone keeps drivers uodated, but you don't get a dedicated os?

With android phones, they have like a year-long update record before they stop updating the os, because they moved on to other devices. With Apple, they seem to dedicate time and energy into the os and there's only one really. You don't have this split attention problem.

So how good is the os for it and do you think it would be important to have steams os on the steam device vs something like this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve said it before maybe in this thread but for sure others but Windows does not work well on these things.

Like it works ok and it kinda gets the job done but IMO SteamOS is just so much better at everything including power management.

On the other hand windows won’t ever stop being updated so it will always work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Titanic posted:

So let me ask you a question because this has always bothered me and why I ultimately went with Apple devices.

Even though it's a powerhouse, isn't the software under it important? Like I can see valve building out steam os more and more... but no idea about this one.

Do they have their own os? Would you just run windows/Linux/steam os itself and hope someone keeps drivers uodated, but you don't get a dedicated os?

With android phones, they have like a year-long update record before they stop updating the os, because they moved on to other devices. With Apple, they seem to dedicate time and energy into the os and there's only one really. You don't have this split attention problem.

So how good is the os for it and do you think it would be important to have steams os on the steam device vs something like this?

The OS will be Windows. The SoC being used is the Ryzen 7 6800U from AMD. It's not a weird niche product but a part seen in many other devices with wide support, and it will receive driver updates from AMD for years to come. The device itself is just a PC in a handheld form factor, and like any other PC, it will be supported by Windows for as long as Microsoft chooses to support the 6800U (for at least the entire life of windows 11, probably windows 12 too, but they did cut off some semi-recent CPUs in the Win11 update so who knows)

Aya Neo has their own software suite that they run over top of the OS, though. The software suite handles stuff like power management and other system configuration stuff, and it's designed to be easily controlled by the device's controls. There's also a game launcher and whatnot built in, but it won't be necessary. I'm not really sure how good their custom software suite is, to be honest, but I'd wager that it won't be as good as SteamOS. Because it's just a software layer running on top of the OS, you won't be reliant on this random company to keep providing updates to keep your device secure and up-to-date—that will be handled by AMD and Microsoft for the most part, and any updates from the Aya Neo people will be just for that specific software suite.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 19, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Dramicus posted:

Steam will bitch at you and threaten to stop giving you refunds if you use returns as demos. I've personally gotten an email from them saying as much.

I'm using the refund system heavily (~50 games refunded a year) as a way to try out games and I've never been denied a refund if it's within the stated terms (2 hours gameplay, 14 days after purchase).

I will go as far as saying it's the single biggest reason why I am using Steam nowadays. Their Linux support and additional features like Steam Workshop being close second.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

I'm using the refund system heavily (~50 games refunded a year) as a way to try out games and I've never been denied a refund if it's within the stated terms (2 hours gameplay, 14 days after purchase).

I will go as far as saying it's the single biggest reason why I am using Steam nowadays. Their Linux support and additional features like Steam Workshop being close second.

I think where you live might impact to what extent they let you refund. I'm pretty sure in Europe they are legally obligated to do it, but in North America it's purely voluntary and they only do it for consistency.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's an automated process if you're under the 2-hour threshold in the US

Your account might be flagged for review if you do it a lot but it doesn't seem like they're doing anything about it.

Wordicuffs
Jun 14, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Neither Windows nor Linux (or Apple) typically make changes that break drivers so you don't need to keep them updated except to fix bugs and add improvements (both general and game-specific), so whatever works now should remain working for he foreseeable future.

The issue with Android phones was who was going to apply, test, and distribute security updates. As those require effort and risk, most Android vendors don't want to deal with it and it's only recently becoming a thing the market cares about (fwiw Samsung now gives 4 major OS updates and 5 years of security updates on their new phones). IMO this is mostly because the Android vendors are bad at software but they are getting better.

Security updates for Windows are handled by Microsoft. Security updates for Linux are handled by a vast number of both paid workers and volunteers. These are funnelled into and tested by the Arch Linux community, then into Valve's control with SteamOS, then out to your device. Both these systems are unlikely to just disappear.

So the only thing SteamOS provides is more control for Valve since they can make fundamental changes to the OS UI & the kernel if needed. This might allow them to make a better system and possibly add fetaures that aren't possible on Windows, but it's entirely dependant on their implementation.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider this morning and noticed that my saves didn’t sync over. Is it the same case as in Borderlands 2, if I force compatibility mode it will sync? I didn’t get a chance to try it out before leaving for work this morning.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

loudog999 posted:

I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider this morning and noticed that my saves didn’t sync over. Is it the same case as in Borderlands 2, if I force compatibility mode it will sync? I didn’t get a chance to try it out before leaving for work this morning.

This might work if the game has a native linux version. Often games will have separate saves between OS versions and they don't sync. If you force the game to run through proton, it will redownload it (the entire game) and then sync any available saves for the windows version.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dramicus posted:

This might work if the game has a native linux version. Often games will have separate saves between OS versions and they don't sync. If you force the game to run through proton, it will redownload it (the entire game) and then sync any available saves for the windows version.

Actually it will only download the parts that differ, usually binaries and libraries. The bigger assets are usually identical.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hnnnnnng, this wait for the 512gb US email is torture, I'm like 14 seconds after Monday's time and it's still not here...

EDIT: It literally came as I hit post.
Yay, I get to be a part of the cool kids club now.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 19, 2022

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just got emailed for my 256GB as well!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Nice, good jump for 512 US today. Got mine ordered.

Edit: Wow yeah it was a whole 3 minutes from Monday's. 1626456517 is the current highest for US 512 (I was 1626456511).

minusX fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 19, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Very cool that the Decks are flowing. Very not cool that I only have so many hours in the day to play all the games I've missed over the years on this thing.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Dramicus posted:

SEKCobra posted:

Actually it will only download the parts that differ, usually binaries and libraries. The bigger assets are usually identical.

Hopefully that’s the case, it started downloading 25 gigs of something, it’s why I couldn’t test it before leaving. From what I played it’s not a game that I would want to play exclusively on the deck but it would be nice to tomb around a little before bed.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

US 256 inbound — one and a half weeks ahead of the calculator. Seems like production/distribution has ramped up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

minusX posted:

Nice, good jump for 512 US today. Got mine ordered.

Edit: Wow yeah it was a whole 3 minutes from Monday's. 1626456517 is the current highest for US 512 (I was 1626456511).

Wow, yeah. US 512 has jumped 5:30+ this week after going up just ~1:30 the week before. I'm a minute and change off so hopefully this coming Monday.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yep, just completed my purchase. I was something like 30 minutes-ish.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The OS will be Windows. The SoC being used is the Ryzen 7 6800U from AMD. It's not a weird niche product but a part seen in many other devices with wide support, and it will receive driver updates from AMD for years to come. The device itself is just a PC in a handheld form factor, and like any other PC, it will be supported by Windows for as long as Microsoft chooses to support the 6800U (for at least the entire life of windows 11, probably windows 12 too, but they did cut off some semi-recent CPUs in the Win11 update so who knows)

Aya Neo has their own software suite that they run over top of the OS, though. The software suite handles stuff like power management and other system configuration stuff, and it's designed to be easily controlled by the device's controls. There's also a game launcher and whatnot built in, but it won't be necessary. I'm not really sure how good their custom software suite is, to be honest, but I'd wager that it won't be as good as SteamOS. Because it's just a software layer running on top of the OS, you won't be reliant on this random company to keep providing updates to keep your device secure and up-to-date—that will be handled by AMD and Microsoft for the most part, and any updates from the Aya Neo people will be just for that specific software suite.

Thank you for the info.

I guess running over windows is good, just seems like you're not going to necessarily get the full brunt of the power available in the machine for that cost of software that needs to run. But like, I don't know. That's why I asked. :)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

That's going to be a "varies by game" deal-- afaik Steam doesn't Just Do That, it relies on the developer uploading things in a way where "binary for X platform", "binary for Y platform", and "assets" are actually noted as such. If the developer said "gently caress it" and just loaded 2 different 20GB builds for Windows and Linux, Steam is probably just going to shrug and say "well bits of these look pretty close to me but you're the boss"

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Just got my email. I was previously predicted for early June, in case that information helps anyone.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's going to be a "varies by game" deal-- afaik Steam doesn't Just Do That, it relies on the developer uploading things in a way where "binary for X platform", "binary for Y platform", and "assets" are actually noted as such. If the developer said "gently caress it" and just loaded 2 different 20GB builds for Windows and Linux, Steam is probably just going to shrug and say "well bits of these look pretty close to me but you're the boss"

Nah they simply run verify files and download what isn't there. So unless the dev put assets in different locations for different build, it will work.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

part of the latest steamos update:

quote:

Fixed some focus issues in the Library when going back from a game's detail page. It should give focus back to the last focused item properly.
finally..... when i back out of a game it'll no longer, for no apparent reason, warp back up to the top of the catalog. kinda surprised it took them this long to notice this was a problem

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

part of the latest steamos update:

finally..... when i back out of a game it'll no longer, for no apparent reason, warp back up to the top of the catalog. kinda surprised it took them this long to notice this was a problem

I never knew this was a problem because I always sort by most recently played. If I play something down in the list, it gets moved to the top anyway.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Does anybody have any insight on playing the EA games that are now available on Steam, but require the Origin "lite" integration, on the Deck? I have, for example, Mirror's Edge Catalyst on Origin that as far as I understand can't simply get credit for in Steam; I'd be willing to buy another copy through Steam to play it on the Deck, however, if it just works like any other Steam game and doesn't have an issue with the Origin client. Anyone have any experience with these Origin games on the Deck?

Edit: It seems like Catalyst does work on the Deck, but I'm curious in general if Origin is an issue with any of the EA games that require it as DRM, as I don't have any of those games on Steam to try yet (since I had originally purchased them on Origin.)

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 20, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Atomizer posted:

Does anybody have any insight on playing the EA games that are now available on Steam, but require the Origin "lite" integration, on the Deck? I have, for example, Mirror's Edge Catalyst on Origin that as far as I understand can't simply get credit for in Steam; I'd be willing to buy another copy through Steam to play it on the Deck, however, if it just works like any other Steam game and doesn't have an issue with the Origin client. Anyone have any experience with these Origin games on the Deck?

Oh yeah, Mirrors Edge is a good fit for the Deck. Let us know if you figure it out.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Oh yeah, Mirrors Edge is a good fit for the Deck. Let us know if you figure it out.

Yeah I love the ME games, as weird as that may sound; I did play them both partially with KBM and with a controller, and they're definitely great with the latter. The original apparently works fine on the Deck with the same PhysX issue (just disable it in the options) as on Windows. I can't actually get any Origin games (including Catalyst) to launch on my gaming desktop anymore, however; a few months ago they all started crashing/force closing shortly after launch.... :bahgawd:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I briefly tried the ME collection when I got my first Deck before I sent it back as RMA and it seemed to work fine. But I just launched ME3 and ran around the ship for a minute.

Haven't tried it since, so I don't know if something broke since then.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Veotax posted:

I briefly tried the ME collection when I got my first Deck before I sent it back as RMA and it seemed to work fine. But I just launched ME3 and ran around the ship for a minute.

Haven't tried it since, so I don't know if something broke since then.

Sounds like you are talking about Mass Effect ;)

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I made a little mistake last night. Tried to boot Neon Abyss for the first time on the Deck, so it was obviosuly doing some kinda silent install or setup. Someone came to my door and I kinda thoughtlessly pressed the sleep button to answer it.
Turning it back on it was stuck forever loading the game, so I quit out of it, but after that it just wouldn't load anything at all until I restarted the deck properly.
Thank god they aren't advertisting this to the casual market, most people would freak out and think it's busted if that happened on a switch.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

kaffo posted:

I made a little mistake last night. Tried to boot Neon Abyss for the first time on the Deck, so it was obviosuly doing some kinda silent install or setup. Someone came to my door and I kinda thoughtlessly pressed the sleep button to answer it.
Turning it back on it was stuck forever loading the game, so I quit out of it, but after that it just wouldn't load anything at all until I restarted the deck properly.
Thank god they aren't advertisting this to the casual market, most people would freak out and think it's busted if that happened on a switch.

Yeah, suspending games at critical points is very risky, had a similar thing happen when it was still uploading to Steam Cloud for example.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Sounds like you are talking about Mass Effect ;)

That's what I get for skimming! And EA releasing two series with the same abbrivation!

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Anybody have a good dock / accessory recommendation to hook your Deck up to a TV? I tried the generic USB-C hub I use for my MacBook Air + monitor every day and got tons of input lag, though I suspect that’s more the hub’s fault than the Deck’s.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

Does anybody have any insight on playing the EA games that are now available on Steam, but require the Origin "lite" integration, on the Deck?

I actually have Mirror's Edge in my Steam library. Installed fine, when I launched it asked me to log in with my EA account, and I could play without any issues at all. And yeah it is a good fit for the Deck!

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
I'm a very old man in my 30's and I want to be like the cool kids.

How do I get better at gyro aiming with the steam deck? I keep seeing poo poo about practicing in Fortnite, but... you know. Epic.

I tried it with a few games, but I don't know what's ideal or how it's supposed to feel "right".

Show me the way goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

Hoppin Tin posted:

I'm a very old man in my 30's and I want to be like the cool kids.

How do I get better at gyro aiming with the steam deck? I keep seeing poo poo about practicing in Fortnite, but... you know. Epic.

I tried it with a few games, but I don't know what's ideal or how it's supposed to feel "right".

Show me the way goons.

I kinda use the joystick to get close then use gyro to pinpoint.