Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TinTower posted:

Oh, the TERF piss is going to be boiling tonight. :allears:

Twitter seems almost entirely positive while it’s FB that’s straight in with the moaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TinTower posted:

Oh, the TERF piss is going to be boiling tonight. :allears:

Again, not a fan of modern DW, but kudos to RTD for not only casting two people of color as the Doctor and companion, but for also casting a transgender actor. I'm 100% behind anything he does to piss off chuds, gammons, and TERFs. :golfclap:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Everyone’s being sighted on set!

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
So it seems like RTD is pulling out all the stops with the people who have been sighted on set. I'm happy we will get to see some old school companions saved Sarah Jane (RIP Elisabeth Sladen).

Aside from another incarnation of The Master (I love the Master but it always seems that he shows up when they are running out of villains) being a baddie are there any rumors on any other baddies? 60 years of history there is a LOT of villains to choose from.

Hopefully this can get the series back on track. Any other rumors of companions or other Docs? (Ecceslton? Capaldi? or Baker?(the last being only a brief cameo but he was the first Doctor I watched).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Could be funny to see a special where the Doctor keeps “de/regenerating” into random incarnations as they’re trying to solve whatever crisis is happening.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Could be funny to see a special where the Doctor keeps “de/regenerating” into random incarnations as they’re trying to solve whatever crisis is happening.

If I were RTD (and, despite my appearance, I'm not), I'd take inspiration from the EDA The Eight Doctors, in which the Eighth Doctor helps out 1-7 in varying ways.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Going to be such a disappointment to watch Chibnall utterly squander the return of Ace. I want her to be a badass mercenary hunting aliens, targeting the Doctor for being an impostor because she only ever knew McCoy's Doctor. Instead, we're just going to be getting some blah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've only got one concern about this recent new casting. And I didn't realize it until I saw a tweet raising it.

https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1526270998672187393?t=TzdNSXi8HAFWSFb-iYU63Q&s=09

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Class3KillStorm posted:

I am kinda confused about this element from the cast announcement page (spoiled in case anyone wants to avoid discussion): "Yasmin Finney has joined the cast of Doctor Who playing the character of Rose and is filming scenes that are due to air in 2023 to coincide with the show’s 60th anniversary... Speaking of joining Doctor Who Yasmin says: "...I cannot wait to begin this journey and for you all to see how Rose blossoms. Get Ready.” Russell T Davies, Showrunner adds: “Life on Doctor Who gets brighter and wilder, how can there be another Rose? You’ll find out in 2023..."

Is this just RTD not knowing any other character names to apply to companion characters? Or are they going out of their way to admit that they want to replicate the 10/Rose dynamic in RTD Vol. 2? Because if there's one element from that era that I don't want them to revisit, it's that, and if this is their plan right out the gate then I'm suddenly leery of the show's future again.

Well to be fair RTD does not know any other character names; as an example, Rose Tyler is just Rose Cooper (Bob & Rose) or Rosie Lyons (Years & Years) plus Johnny Tyler (The Second Coming) or Vince Tyler (Queer as Folk)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Everyone’s being sighted on set!

Nice to see Matt Smith back on the show!

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Very important new trailer from Big Finish.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1526480139277803520

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Wow.
I love that so much. Love that they just committed hard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was loving awesome, haha

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I still have that TARDIS tent somewhere!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The_Doctor posted:

I still have that TARDIS tent somewhere!

I never knew I needed this but now I will be searching the web.

As for the casting news, I avoid the spoiler thread - my own immediate knee jerk thought is we're doing the multiverse again, gimme my david warner doctor showing up with an alternate Rose damnit

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/river_medway/status/1526265711563264000

Don’t let us down, Rusty.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lego are releasing a Starry Night based set soon, and the accompanying video looks very familiar.

https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1526551948035489794

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Rewatching partners in crime and somehow I completely forgot how camp rtds era was. Maybe it was just this particular episode but I wonder how much of a tonal shift rtd 2.0 will be compared to his original run.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
PiC was an exceptionally camp episode even for the time

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It was part of the reason people wanted Moffat to come in and take over. His stories were a little bit more serious, which people really clung to.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Someone posted this in TARDISposting on Facebook and :stonk:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rerelease the Uno Who deck

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

:stonklol::cripes:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1527333299248455697

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TinTower posted:

What in the gently caress

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

The_Doctor posted:

It was part of the reason people wanted Moffat to come in and take over. His stories were a little bit more serious, which people really clung to.

I was one of these. At the time it was embarrassing to show people the show during certain segments (Ya'll know which olympic episode exemplifies this), but Moffat definitely counter-balanced to the extreme at points with his uber drama.

For me, The Big Bang (edited as I originally put Pandorica Opens - mix those up regularly) is probably the best combination of tones (camp/serious/fun) and that's what I want from my Doctor Who tonally - most of the time.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On the one hand, part 1 of 'The End of Time' was so stupid, shouty and overblown it was physically embarrassing to watch. On the other hand, so was the first half-hour or so of 'Deep Breath', so it was far from a uniquely RTD issue.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All things considered, while I don't want to watch either of their worsts ever again if I can help it, I do much prefer the RTD-era bottoms over Moffat's. The worst you get from RTD is 'embarrassingly campy', but the worst you got from Moffat was 'actively reprehensible'.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

*alien farts, winks at the camera*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can say I enjoyed all four of RTD's seasons, but only really liked Moff's first and last.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cool. Also not sure what's going on with her character's name but he has me intrigued, haha. I'm glad RTD is back

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The War Doctor theme is such a great version of the theme.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

OldMemes posted:

The War Doctor theme is such a great version of the theme.
Is this a Big Finish thing? I don't recall him having much of a leitmotif in Day.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Is this a Big Finish thing? I don't recall him having much of a leitmotif in Day.

War's theme
"I'm not the Doctor"
(Unbound) Doctor of War theme
War Master's theme

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Quite good. Thank you.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I alway like the one from The Eighth Doctor and Mary Shelley arc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOGxb8-t5M

"The Man that I Know" is good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDJAA8Jg0gs&t=39s

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I stopped watching after the timeless child reveal, did Chibnall get better or worse after that? I was thinking about catching up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

I stopped watching after the timeless child reveal, did Chibnall get better or worse after that? I was thinking about catching up.

The third season was mostly miss, a couple of "hits" that even so weren't all that great. It's short, which is a bonus, and it has some really interesting characters - the Sugar Skull Gang are a delight even if their backstory/motivations are a complete mess - but the scope and impact of the story is way too big and doesn't actually get resolved or repaired in any way by the end of the season, which I don't think was the actual intent:

Something like 80% of the ENTIRE UNIVERSE gets wiped out and the Doctor figures out a way to reverse it but then.... the story goes elsewhere and it never gets dealt with, but everybody just kind of moves on like it did? Like, she tells an Ood that she could possibly reverse the effects of the Flux if they do something to the control panel but then she gets whisked away and there's nothing to indicate if the Ood finished what she started or just stood around waiting for somebody to tell it what to do next, and no indication that any of the damage done to the Universe actually got resolved... and if it did, if the survivors of the Flux remember it happening or not etc.

The story also pops back every so often to the Doctor's MYSTERIOUS PAST which is complete bollocks and an utter indulgence on Chibnall's past to inflict his fanfiction idea about the Doctor's origins onto the show regardless of the fact it's been contradicted at every step of the show's entire history apart from ONE moment which gave him the idea in the first place, an idea that itself has been lambasted by fans, ignored, overturned or explicitly shown to be false dozens of times since it first came up in the late 70s.

This year we've had two specials so far. The first was genuinely really good, aside from some iffiness over one of the characters' being written like a weirdo stalker but intended to be a sweet romantic, the second was extraordinarily bad.

It's Chibnall in a nutshell unfortunately. His good stuff is okay with some caveats, his bad stuff is REALLY bad, and he's overlooked his strengths - people seem to genuinely like him and he puts together great casts and crews, and he's got a clear commitment to representation and tackling social issues - in favor of his weaknesses - his writing isn't good enough to carry doing 70+% of the scripts himself, he has ideas he wants to push regardless of whether they work or not. Plus he has mostly written the Doctor as a passive character which is a really weird choice I absolutely cannot wrap my head around.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When did Chibnall start? I really liked every season of new Who up until Jodie's run somewhere had the first season for me with more bad eps than good, or just that I remember the bad episodes from it far more than the good or medium ones. I've also liked most of the original Who I've seen and the audiobooks I've listened to. I quite like when someone does some space & time travel.

I was curious about adding Classic Who to a pre-new-era full rewatch.

There's about 138 hours of modern run, almost 6 days.

About 295 hours of Classic Who, but including stuff there isn't even surviving video for. Still, adds 12 days!

The count I found for Big Finish stuff, a few years ago from someone in middle of a binge, was already almost 900 hours of stuff, 37 days but surely higher now. If you spend only half of your days watching or listening to doctor who, you can through it all in like 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnall has been writing for Who since RTD's first season, and was thought highly of enough by him to basically run Torchwood when it was launched as a companion series. His episodes were always the weakest of any season, and Torchwood itself was a disaster (Children of Earth was an aberration for certain, and was put together more like a mini-series than a regular season with RTD taking a far stronger grip on things) so there was understandable trepidation about him taking over Who, which has largely proven accurate.

That said, he also wrote Broadchurch, and while season 2 was disappointing enough that I never watched season 3, season 1 is absolutely superb and it blows my mind that he has writing this good in him. I feel like Broadchurch must have been the story he always dreamed of making and everything about that first season just came together perfectly in terms of casting, timing, writing freedom and the execution of ideas to produce something he hasn't some close to matching the quality of since.