Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I think i’ve said it before but i genuinely think the Dumbbell anime is the 2019 AOTY solely for getting nerds including myself into exercising more. The op song kicks rear end too

sorry, we don't reward latecomers. they should've tried beating Hinako to the punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

rick & morty isnt as bad as the insane overexposure makes it seem to be
its just a normal american adult cartoon for very high iq (self-reported) people

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thank you bushiroad for, achieving complete dominance of the anime world (and also the wrestling world) and then reinstating dejiko to be its leader

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

whos hype for reiwa di gi charat

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

marumaru posted:

its just a normal american adult cartoon for very high iq (self-reported) people

Oh I think Rick and Morty is a riot. I just don't particularly see a reason for a Rick and Morty anime when it's already a cartoon. Like, is this going to be the dark and edgy remake? Or the pastoral slice of life cute girls doing cute things version?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How popular is Rick & Morty in Japan anyway (I know Powerpuff Girls was such a big hit over there that they made their own take on it at least)?

That said, I’m kind of morbidly curious to see what this ends up being like if nothing else

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean it's kind of irrelevant here, the series was ordered by adultswim and is just one of the many recent shows spawned from the western side to capitalize on this anime boom like you see like with the original projects netflix finances

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm sorry, but Dijiko is a vtuber now and not allowed to be mentioned in this thread anymore. Also banned is all discussion of Slayers.
:goonsay:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

How popular is Rick & Morty in Japan anyway (I know Powerpuff Girls was such a big hit over there that they made their own take on it at least)?

That said, I’m kind of morbidly curious to see what this ends up being like if nothing else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PJDfdOpUgo
south park has, a japanese audience also

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ardeem posted:

I'm sorry, but Dijiko is a vtuber now and not allowed to be mentioned in this thread anymore. Also banned is all discussion of Slayers.

You will never silence my enjoyment of Lina Inverse

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ardeem posted:

i think you're probably mistaken, dejiko is the 1998 animated mascot of the gamers chain of anime goods stores who has a new anime releasing in approximately 3 months

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

A Rick and Morty anime hopefully means getting some wild layouts and art syles that the show itself is typically hesitant to play with.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

anime pickle rick has me like "the food in anime looks soooo goood <3"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

How it started, how it's going.

Dongicus posted:

is ur guy a furry lol

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Furries are cool now

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

sorry, we don't reward latecomers. they should've tried beating Hinako to the punch

this is literally gatekeeping

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jesus Christ.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmfao

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Gatekeeping is good, now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

gatekeeping with hinako, bitch

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hmm

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
im grateful enough to have a garage; give me a gate to keep and I'd go mad with power

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nep_anime/status/1527454187897819141
$300 anime figure with a free OVA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nice figure, thanks

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

$300 aint too crazy for figures these days

so the bluray might as well be free!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is funnier than it should be.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ardeem posted:

Also banned is all discussion of Slayers.
wrong

homeless snail posted:

i think you're probably mistaken, dejiko is the 1998 animated mascot of the gamers chain of anime goods stores who has a new anime releasing in approximately 3 months
poo poo i forgot about this. masami okui is even doing the new op

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 20, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Burbo posted:

$300 aint too crazy for figures these days
I want that 14,000 dollar ff6 Terra statue

Maybe if I mortgage my house...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Invictus posted:

I want that 14,000 dollar ff6 Terra statue

Maybe if I mortgage my house...

Home Values are at record highs, you could refinance. Or not, because that would be crazy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A recent random discussion elsewhere sparked a thought in me again. I didn't know Demon Slayer from a picture list of anime and somebody said it's the biggest anime in the world so funny not to know it.

I have been told it's the biggest anime in the world before but I know absolutely no one who actually talks about it or is a fan of it. It receives a fraction of the discussion that, say, MHA does on every forum I frequent.

So I have never seen any reason to guess at its popularity eclipsing the likes of One Piece when I regularly run into OP fans talking about it for pages and pages while DS is just something I've been told is popular but seen no personal evidence of. It's very peculiar.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's bigger in Japan

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Demon Slayer movie made a ton of money in the US by anime movie standards. Might actually be the highest ever iirc?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Was gonna say maybe it didn't perform as well in Aus but seems to have done really well here too. Guess i'm out of the loop.

Though I usually stick with shonen manga instead of anime and I think I only really started seeing a lot of stuff about Demon Slayer when the show started, and I think the comic was just about over by then. So i'll pretend that's why i'm not so much in the know about it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

its an age thing, almost certainly

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Now that I'm at my computer and can actually look a few things up:

The closest point of comparison I'd make with the Demon Slayer movie would be Dragon Ball Super: Broly since they're both shonen movies that are canonical continuations. In the US, Demon Slayer made about 49.5 million and Broly made about 30.7 million. When you look at the worldwide totals it's even more lopsided; Demon Slayer is at 453 million(!) and Broly is 115 million. And hell, Broly came out in a pre-covid world and meanwhile Demon Slayer did numbers in the US that so, so many movies would love to have right now considering the dire state of affairs in the box office these days.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was gonna say maybe it didn't perform as well in Aus but seems to have done really well here too. Guess i'm out of the loop.

Though I usually stick with shonen manga instead of anime and I think I only really started seeing a lot of stuff about Demon Slayer when the show started, and I think the comic was just about over by then. So i'll pretend that's why i'm not so much in the know about it.

Yea the manga only became a powerhouse the year the anime came out.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s gonna be kinda cool that the Demon Slayer studio is gonna have the ultimate flex of elevating a failing manga to the level of a top selling franchise. I’m glad for them and the mangaka even if I probably won’t watch it for like 5+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Demon Slayer is astoundingly popular in Japan, even setting aside its respectable showing abroad. In terms of 2021 broadcast ratings it beat Attack on Titan and was far ahead of MHA. It's one of the few shows that manages to consistently beat Sazae-san.