Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Algorithm is pretty cool tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, Apple very much would follow that model. All they have to do is manufacture 10000 cars and they'll be the highest valued car company in the world!

How many of them actually have to work, I wonder?

I used to be a real Apple loyalist in the 90's and early 2000's because I found their interface more intuitive and just easier to work with overall. Also, I was (am) a graphic designer and it was pretty much the industry standard. PC's just created more trouble and were harder to generate product for that niche.

Man, oh, man. Right now? gently caress apple in the rear end.

I still have an old imac I use to freelance with old Adobe software but when that thing shits the bed or becomes obsolete I'm going PC. Same with my outdated Apple TV box. Everything that made Apple attractive to non computer people (ease of use, plug and play, smooth interface) has been ruined by their proprietary bullshit, overpricing, inability to repair, special cables/headphones and an overall focus on looking sleek than building functional machines. I went through two laptops in about 4 or 5 years and that was it for me. Dead battery, faulty charger(s), bad track pad, broken keys, constantly "upgrading" their OS when they don't have to. Rendering my photo library obsolete and a ton of conversion and time spent (they were just jpgs) restoring it because they wouldn't load in the "NEW" photo software.

Jpgs wouldn't load with their old file names. Editing music became a chore.

About every other "auto update" hosed up my settings. It got to the point where the things I liked about Apple were no more convenient than a PC (conflicting drivers, permissions, weird glitches, workarounds, email accounts not working/logging in, a U2 album I didn't want, etc) and I had to hit the internet constantly to fix their broken poo poo. That they broke.

Doesn't matter how cool poo poo looks if the god damned things break and everything has to be an Apple BY Apple to do anything with a file of any type. The nearest "genius bar" is an hour away and you wait 4 days for an appointment you'll be lucky if they keep and not have to wait 45 minutes in their stupid showroom.

God I hate them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/nichcarlson/status/1527413649584836634

And his response means it's not the only case by far. The dam opens, and his dirty laundry comes out.

https://twitter.com/tysonbrody/status/1527422747139260416

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BiggerBoat posted:

God I hate them.

Now that android have fixed their audio latency problem there's basically nothing I'd want an apple for

There is a Douglas Adams quote that goes something like "the trouble with things that just work is no-one can fix them when they break"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://twitter.com/rikramer80/status/1527424123508604931

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

LOL at "If I were inclined to engage in sexual harassment, this is unlikely to be the first time [...] it comes to light." What a lovely thing to say.

Either he's expecting more people to come forward or he wants credit for all the people he HASN'T sexually harassed

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Meltdown May had a slow start this year but it might be the biggest one yet.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Musk has always been a tit but it seems to have rapidly accelerated over the last couple of years.

Maybe it's in billionaires water.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Musk needs validation like the man-child he is. He used to get it at his companies, but he was removed as Chairman of Tesla in 2018. It just so happens that he also tripled his average twitter activity in 2018 and never slowed down his tweeting since then. So he used to be able to get his ego stroked at board meetings, but everyone, even SpaceX and Tesla, couldn't take it anymore and removed him from day-to-day operations. So he's spent the last four years being even more online.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I can believe that, I was wondering how come he’s become so much more visibly insane in recent years.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah I can totally believe that he got a case of being Too Online

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alctel posted:

Yeah I can totally believe that he got a case of being Too Online

COVID did that to a lot of people. And exacerbated it for a lot of people who already were.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Alctel posted:

Musk has always been a tit but it seems to have rapidly accelerated over the last couple of years.

Maybe it's in billionaires water.

he's a drug addict. microdosing psychedelics has been trendy in silicon valley for a while and musk is just a polysubstance abuser who went from microdosing to macrodosing. he's talked in the past about abusing ambien. he openly signals his pot use in a really clumsy way, which is just a desperate attempt to seem cool and transgressive except shitloads of people smoke pot without making it their identity or trying to fit in with a hip crowd (trying to impress joe rogan lol)

i encourage people to use whatever substances they want to, so long as they can do so responsibly. i've known functional crack addicts and daily psychonauts. i've been addicted to opium. i'm not saying this out of any sense that drugs are bad in general, i'm saying this in the sense that elon musk is barely in control of his life. he parties too hard and is addicted to substance abuse itself as a lifestyle. he's been able to skate away from serious consequences, while hiding some of the inner consequences on his own life - it is not a coincidence that every time he forms a relationship with and impregnates another person, that person eventually leaves and takes the children with them. musk doesn't even have a stable place of residence. wealthy people outside of some ascetic religious tradition don't flit around and spurn material possessions because they're just in an elevated state of consciousness, they do it because the main thing they care about is the next time they can get hosed up. he's doing the billionaire nomad schtick like he's a cool burning man guru but 100% of the time this behavior simply masks some combination of out of control substance abuse feeding and comorbid with some personality disorder (most likely narcissism)

e: its worth pointing out that musk dated amber heard for a year after she broke up with johnny depp. all three of them are probably on the same level of barely holding it together substance abusers

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 20, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It tracks that if you can only find satisfaction through materialism and capitalism you're gonna end up strung out. Number go up high go up

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

quarantinethepast posted:

It tracks that if you can only find satisfaction through materialism and capitalism you're gonna end up strung out. Number go up high go up

i dont think he can find satisfaction through materialism and capitalism, i dont think he can find satisfaction at all. most people who party do it in moderation with the rest of the poo poo going on in their lives. musk doesn't have much else going on in his life, he's been slowly squeezed out of any actual responsibility he has either as a business tycoon or as a family man. the dude needs therapy and sobriety but he's rich and nobody can tell him poo poo so his rock bottom will be spectacular because you can guarantee it will be broadcast live on the internet

here's an NYT interview from 2018 when musk got squeezed out of tesla

quote:

To help sleep when he is not working, Mr. Musk said he sometimes takes Ambien. “It is often a choice of no sleep or Ambien,” he said.

But this has worried some board members, who have noted that sometimes the drug does not put Mr. Musk to sleep but instead contributes to late-night Twitter sessions, according to a person familiar with the board’s thinking. Some board members are also aware that Mr. Musk has on occasion used recreational drugs, according to people familiar with the matter.

Tesla executives have been trying for years to recruit a chief operating officer or other No. 2 executive to assume some of Mr. Musk’s day-to-day responsibilities, according to people familiar with the matter. A couple of years ago, Mr. Musk said, the company approached Sheryl Sandberg, who is Facebook’s second-highest executive, about the job.

the bolded part is coded language. they aren't saying "oh the board is aware that he smoked a weed once and that is degenerate and illegal", they are saying "it is obvious to the board that musk cannot balance his recreational drug use with his responsibilities". you don't rise to that level in any organization without running across colleagues, mentors, and partners who flame out and wreck themselves on substance abuse

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I don't disagree at all, the dude is a cautionary tale. And he's got millions of enablers backing him up for the chance at profit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What does rock bottom even look like for a billionaire?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Solkanar512 posted:

loving up bad enough he goes to jail, no I don't know what that will entail

Either that or a bog standard die in a drug related embarrassing way

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Solkanar512 posted:

Mcafee, cutting holes in a hammock so a girl can poo poo on you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mega Comrade posted:

Mcafee, cutting holes in a hammock so a girl can poo poo on you.

Mcafee, when the girl pooped

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

Ah, poo poo, your car is 4 years old? Sorry, man, but we can't install the new turn signal and braking software on this ancient piece of poo poo cause it won't run on that OS.

Thanks Samsung/Moto/Xiaomi/Google/etc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Ah, poo poo, your car is 4 years old? Sorry, man, but we can't install the new turn signal and braking software on this ancient piece of poo poo cause it won't run on that OS.

My mom's Apple laptop is finally reaching end of updates this year in October. Guess how old it is. ten years. gently caress off with this specious bullshit, Apple definitely has some issues but length of support is not one of them

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Arivia posted:

My mom's Apple laptop is finally reaching end of updates this year in October. Guess how old it is. ten years. gently caress off with this specious bullshit, Apple definitely has some issues but length of support is not one of them

You can install windows 11 on a 15 year old PC. Windows 7 got free updates for 10 years and then a free upgrade to windows 10 that will get free updates until 2025 or windows 11 that will get free updates until 2029 probably.

Apple is unequivocally the absolute worst computer vendor for length of support, and it's way worse on the hardware side of the equation.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Arivia posted:

Gotta defend mommies computer brand.

Like the above poster said, I can go dig up a 15 year old PC, put some used decent hardware in it, and slap windows 10 on it with zero issue. Old mac's are throttled thermal limited pieces of poo poo that you can't find replacement parts for, let alone replace them yourself.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Like the above poster said, I can go dig up a 15 year old PC, put some used decent hardware in it, and slap windows 10 on it with zero issue. Old mac's are throttled thermal limited pieces of poo poo that you can't find replacement parts for, let alone replace them yourself.

They do give you longer support on the phone side of the house than your samsungs or whatever, but there they have os feature locks and degrading performance for absolutely no loving reason to get you to upgrade, so they can pretend it's a value proposition.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah they have android beat but that's such a low bar.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

listen we added the ability for the camera app to take a video instead when you try to take a photo but for some loving reason it will only work on the newest iphone because reasons.

only apple can bring you this kind of innovation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Also Apple: Fine, we'll adopt connector standards everyone else is using (only because the EU is forcing us)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CommieGIR posted:

Also Apple: Fine, we'll adopt connector standards everyone else is using (only because the EU is forcing us)

Oh yeah, good luck finding old proprietary cables that aren't produced anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh yeah, good luck finding old proprietary cables that aren't produced anymore.

Ironically: Legacy USB connectors are easy to find. Legacy Apple 20 pin connectors are a pain to find.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Arivia posted:

Every app I produced for iOS from 2008 to 2015 has been disabled by Apple when they did the 32 to 64bit thing.

There was no reason they couldn't have supported apps of that era.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My 7600k is blacklisted from running Windows 11 and Microsoft won’t say why despite it meeting their CPU requirements in every way. All electronics companies do this poo poo to one degree or another. I’ll get less than 10 years of support for Windows on my desktop because of this, so yeah, we can all make comparisons to make whomever sound better or worse.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

My 7600k is blacklisted from running Windows 11 and Microsoft won’t say why despite it meeting their CPU requirements in every way. All electronics companies do this poo poo to one degree or another. I’ll get less than 10 years of support for Windows on my desktop because of this, so yeah, we can all make comparisons to make whomever sound better or worse.

Windows 10 will still support that with no issue. or just roll 11 unsupported. it's not like they completely switched CPU architecture twice in the last 15 years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Windows 10 will still support that with no issue. or just roll 11 unsupported. it's not like they completely switched CPU architecture twice in the last 15 years.

microsoft is only supporting windows 10 until 2025. so yeah, same lifetime for this PC as with mom's macbook!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Congratulations you've proved the joke wrong

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

windows 11 will run just fine on a 7600k, just without the enhanced security features.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the real tech nightmare is rehashing OS holy wars from the turn of the century

can’t we just agree that all computers are bad

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TACD posted:

the real tech nightmare is rehashing OS holy wars from the turn of the century

can’t we just agree that all computers are bad

Quick, get a linux user in here.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

HelloSailorSign posted:

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HelloSailorSign posted:

quote:

Fun Unix prank: put files on someone's system with names that have bytes that (if interpreted as text) have newlines, spaces, invalid unicode sequences, valid but not normalized unicode codepoints, and some invisible codepoints