Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just wait for Tsuyu to awaken her quirk and gain the powers of a prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I figured that panel was showing thst Dabi had a spark of humanity or goodness or whatever still in him and Shoto somehow got through to him.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Rhonne posted:

I figured that panel was showing thst Dabi had a spark of humanity or goodness or whatever still in him and Shoto somehow got through to him.

This is the same thought I had, combined with the thinking it was a tear drop. Which would fit, as it is something he could supposedly never do.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Given the nature of the theory, why would it be a known aspect before now anyway? My guy hasn't died before. Just because he hasn't done the thing before now because he hasn't died doesn't mean it's an rear end pull.

Several other people's quirks have multiple aspects. Hell someone mentioned Tsu the frog lady and there's also Miriko, cementoss, gang orca, the cat cop, SPINNER, and so on . Hell, Shoto himself with the fire and ice. Who's to say that the fire isn't just another facet of his quirk? And even if it wasn't initially, who's to say AFO didn't jazz him up a bit at some point like he has clearly done so for Spinner and Shiggy?

I'm not even saying I agree that it's happening (I don't), I just think the eyerolls over this are silly. Y'all go so hard to see who can hate on fan theories the fastest and I just do not get it.

Also clearly some of y'all have never seen Misfits bc this theory is similar in nature to one of the powers in that show, and sure enough wasn't discovered until the end of the first season after the character died and resurrected in his coffin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Valentin posted:

oh....huh. kinda thought the pacing of that would be different. and definitely wasn't expecting two entirely new villains out of nowhere, lmao. Makes me think that we haven't seen the last of Dabi, given the glowing light in his chest, and if that's not the case then frankly I really do not get what this manga is going for at this point.

e: or rather, I guess I do get what it's going for, but that seems like a lot of narrative momentum to burn off (ha) so soon. Dabi is easily the most interesting villain left and shuffling him offstage in exchange for random filler chumps for Kirishima and Mina and Yuga and Fatgum(??) to fight is deflating.

The Villain Kirishima and Mina will be fighting is not new. He's one of the Liberation Army Commanders that served under Dabi, and is the one who killed Midnight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

Several other people's quirks have multiple aspects. Hell someone mentioned Tsu the frog lady and there's also Miriko, cementoss, gang orca, the cat cop, SPINNER, and so on . Hell, Shoto himself with the fire and ice. Who's to say that the fire isn't just another facet of his quirk? And even if it wasn't initially, who's to say AFO didn't jazz him up a bit at some point like he has clearly done so for Spinner and Shiggy?

Dabi’s obsessed with proving his flame out-burns Endeavor’s, emphasis on his. he’d chug antifreeze before accepting anything from AfO because modifying his Quirk would dilute his victory

the whole idea is stupid. this doesn’t mean it’s impossible, because the comic itself has gotten pretty stupid, but unless one of his parents had an auto-rez modifier someplace then it would go against all the setting’s rules

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Villain Kirishima and Mina will be fighting is not new. He's one of the Liberation Army Commanders that served under Dabi, and is the one who killed Midnight.

ah, yes, this is correct, I forgot about his prior one-line appearance. Which I guess means instead that our filler fights will feature one unknown villain, one barely-onscreen villain, and Gastly, another ominous superjail escapee name that hasn't connected to anything but will presumably be the final battle for uhhhhh someone get me the dartboard. tape guy and tail guy and sugar guy

Honestly odds are at least one will be a cool fight, assuming I can visually parse it. I'm just annoyed by the sudden swap away from the only fight with any narrative momentum.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Oxxidation posted:

Dabi’s obsessed with proving his flame out-burns Endeavor’s, emphasis on his. he’d chug antifreeze before accepting anything from AfO because modifying his Quirk would dilute his victory

the whole idea is stupid. this doesn’t mean it’s impossible, because the comic itself has gotten pretty stupid, but unless one of his parents had an auto-rez modifier someplace then it would go against all the setting’s rules

Does AFO strike you as a wait for permission kinda person?

It cannot inherently go against the setting because we have no idea what other quirks are hidden back in the Todoroki gene pool. Sure we know what Endeavor has but no idea what his parents had, and we have only a vague notion of mom's side of the family. Lord knows it's not unheard of for genetic traits to lie dormant for a while.

Bakugo's dad has acid sweat, but Bakugo sweats his mom's glycerin. The acid is probably lurking in the genes somewhere, but doesn't express itself in Bakugo.

What's more, while there is a genetic component to quirks, they're by nature mutations, so there may not be ANY of that in the Todoroki gene pool and it just happend.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 20, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Valentin posted:

ah, yes, this is correct, I forgot about his prior one-line appearance. Which I guess means instead that our filler fights will feature one unknown villain, one barely-onscreen villain, and Gastly, another ominous superjail escapee name that hasn't connected to anything but will presumably be the final battle for uhhhhh someone get me the dartboard. tape guy and tail guy and sugar guy

Honestly odds are at least one will be a cool fight, assuming I can visually parse it. I'm just annoyed by the sudden swap away from the only fight with any narrative momentum.

there's still one left as far as i'm concerned. heartbroken by what's happened to spinner. my boy bit the poisoned apple

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

there's still one left as far as i'm concerned. heartbroken by what's happened to spinner. my boy bit the poisoned apple

Both very interested to see what happens there and ready to be disappointed. horikoshi really could have just dropped weird-looking-quirk-based minority discrimination once it was clear there wasn't going to be time or space to explore it. as is, hard to see any other outcome but Shoji's going to win and the moral will be "bigotry is bad I guess but you probably shouldn't do a terrorism about it, go to hero school instead".

e: VVV i think it's not uncommon but horikoshi's tendency to make the division textually part of some overarching and apparently exquisitely-tailored plan is his own thing. i'd say usually it's just the heroes and the bad guys have roughly the same number of action figures and they more gradually pair off for fights in ways that are in-fiction unplanned, closer to the shie hassaikai break-in if I recall that correctly.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 20, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Something I hadn't thought much about until this chapter is the way the current arc's general framing, of many discrete and tailored matchups between different clusters of heroes and villains, is like a reversal of the U.S.J. situation from the start of the comic. I like the cut-aways we get to the planning sessions explaining their decision to use various different characters' powers to set up the trap, though I think it might've been better to do more of that before initiating the final battle considering how out-of-left-field that felt.

Generally speaking, this seems to be a format Horikoshi likes a lot - it happened in the forest training arc, in the tournament against the other hero class, in their exams. It does make sense, since it lets them try out different combinations of characters and to intercut events from different simultaneous fights to make the story a little more dynamic. I'm not much of a manga/comic reader or anime watcher though, so I don't know if this is more a quirk of shonen manga, something from comics that Horikoshi is emulating, or something specific to MHA because of its large cast.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

I'm not even saying I agree that it's happening (I don't), I just think the eyerolls over this are silly. Y'all go so hard to see who can hate on fan theories the fastest and I just do not get it.

As a proud Dad for One enjoyer I resent this. :colbert:

Also, I'm just happy that one of the Liberation Army Lieutenants is going to get to do something after there was such a stink about them getting off-screened.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 20, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I also noticed that the sludge villain from the start of the series is there at Mina/Kirishima's location too. I doubt he'll really get to do much though, unless Deku ends up flying by here on his way back to UA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm bummed that Spinner hasn't really done anything. I thought he might defect to try to save Shigaraki, but instead he's just... there. Doing bad guy things. I guess. Bleh.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

cool kids inc. posted:

Bakugo's dad has acid sweat, but Bakugo sweats his mom's glycerin. The acid is probably lurking in the genes somewhere, but doesn't express itself in Bakugo.

What's more, while there is a genetic component to quirks, they're by nature mutations, so there may not be ANY of that in the Todoroki gene pool and it just happend.

Bakugo doesn't sweat glycerin (or a weird quirk substance similar to it) like his mother, he sweats nitroglycerin (or a weird quirk substance similar to it). And a common way of producing nitroglycerin is to nitrate glycerin with nitric acid. More importantly, Bakudad can make small explosions with his sweat too, so if anything Blasty takes after him more quirk-wise (but it's still pretty obviously a mix of both).

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Staltran posted:

Bakugo doesn't sweat glycerin (or a weird quirk substance similar to it) like his mother, he sweats nitroglycerin (or a weird quirk substance similar to it). And a common way of producing nitroglycerin is to nitrate glycerin with nitric acid. More importantly, Bakudad can make small explosions with his sweat too, so if anything Blasty takes after him more quirk-wise (but it's still pretty obviously a mix of both).

Ey I missed the acid causing explosions and you're totally right!

That's a big whiff on my part and I'll leave my shame.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm bummed that Spinner hasn't really done anything. I thought he might defect to try to save Shigaraki, but instead he's just... there. Doing bad guy things. I guess. Bleh.

Too many moving parts for anybody to get any emphasis lol.

Dabi got 3 chapters in this really, and now he and Todoroki are probably done

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah it felt super disjointed in this latest chapter cause there's so many groups fighting even more villains. I know everyone's got their favorites but I dunno if they all need a relevant fight.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

cool kids inc. posted:

Ey I missed the acid causing explosions and you're totally right!

That's a big whiff on my part and I'll leave my shame.

Eri’s quirk explicitly is a completely unforeseen mutation unrelated to the quirks of either parent, so any argument about what sort of quirk someone does or does not have via genetics already has the example that it sometimes just happens anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Yeah it felt super disjointed in this latest chapter cause there's so many groups fighting even more villains. I know everyone's got their favorites but I dunno if they all need a relevant fight.

I mean if they don't then people are going to complain about how they are wasted and clearly the writer hates them because he didn't give them a fight.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

Eri’s quirk explicitly is a completely unforeseen mutation unrelated to the quirks of either parent, so any argument about what sort of quirk someone does or does not have via genetics already has the example that it sometimes just happens anyway.

Are you suggesting that Dabi's quirk is going to turn out to actually be unrelated to Endeavor's? That would be quite a swerve.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Staltran posted:

Are you suggesting that Dabi's quirk is going to turn out to actually be unrelated to Endeavor's? That would be quite a swerve.

No I’m pointing out that anyone suggesting that a wild swerve quirk mutation is impossible due to genetics is wrong. I personally don’t think this Dabi theory holds water but that isn’t related to the way quirk genetics works.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the mutation aspect is always there but i'm disregarding it . it would be lazy, cheap, and also sabotage dabi's whole motivation for little reason beyond ironic funnies

it's also not that plausible because dabi's quirk is still very clearly a mix of his parents' like anyone else's, whereas eri's and shigaraki's had absolutely nothing to do with their respective lineages

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if they don't then people are going to complain about how they are wasted and clearly the writer hates them because he didn't give them a fight.

They’re wasted anyways :v:

Like it was cool that Kirishima and Mina got some focus because they’ve had some relevant moments but then you get to tail and tentacle guy and it’s just ehhh

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Dabi getting a phoenix form would narratively be dumb as poo poo after Todoroki got this moment that had been built up to for hundreds of chapters purely ignoring any actual evidence of his powers so I choose to believe that will not happen because Horikoshi is not a hack

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dabi getting a phoenix form would narratively be dumb as poo poo after Todoroki got this moment that had been built up to for hundreds of chapters purely ignoring any actual evidence of his powers so I choose to believe that will not happen because Horikoshi is not a hack
If Dabi got some kind of phoenix thing it would seem more likely that 'he dies, and his Quirk means he is reborn as baby' so he can be put in baby prison get raised up right

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

No I’m pointing out that anyone suggesting that a wild swerve quirk mutation is impossible due to genetics is wrong. I personally don’t think this Dabi theory holds water but that isn’t related to the way quirk genetics works.

Quirks manifest at age 5 or so and everyone is supposed to only have one quirk. Even Shoto's is a mix of his parents into a single quirk. Dabi having a secret second quirk that only activates now and conveniently restores him right in time for his redemption would be patently ridiculous and the actual point where MHA Went Wrong. Even worse than Ghost Knuckleduster.

Also he doesn't have the albinoism that Eri and Shigaraki have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nessus posted:

If Dabi got some kind of phoenix thing it would seem more likely that 'he dies, and his Quirk means he is reborn as baby' so he can be put in baby prison get raised up right

Yeah this is my line of thinking too, it's not about giving him a new power, it's about having him "survive" last chapter's beatdown. He was already on the brink of killing himself just to spite the Todorokis, either he finishes the job and dies, or he's reborn, or we get to see Eric accidentally erase him from existence.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dabi, upon becoming a phoenix: "Oh, phoenix DOWN"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I find it weird that ice works on Dabi outside of putting out his flames when the thing that made him a failure initially was that he was resistant to cold and NOT fire despite having stronger flames than endeavor.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Fabricated posted:

I find it weird that ice works on Dabi outside of putting out his flames when the thing that made him a failure initially was that he was resistant to cold and NOT fire despite having stronger flames than endeavor.

I think the idea is that Dabi doesn't get cold very easily, when the bigger issue is that his quirk lets him get hot very easily, but Shoto is able to get even colder even easier so he can artificially give Dabi the hot resistance he always wanted.

Also when it comes to what do with Dabi now? Let 'em die. He gets to fail us one more time by failing to ruin his family's name and getting the brother he hates more than anything in the world to love him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I do like that Hori brought back Spinner's sword made of swords despite his assistants no doubt begging him not to.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TheKingofSprings posted:

They’re wasted anyways :v:

Like it was cool that Kirishima and Mina got some focus because they’ve had some relevant moments but then you get to tail and tentacle guy and it’s just ehhh

It really does feel like the comic has some serious issues with the size of its cast and the pace of its story, that only feel more obvious here at the end. Trying to have everyone's arcs climax simultaneously in one extended battle just means that you can't sit with anyone long enough because you need to keep checking in with other characters to keep the momentun up.

Resolving the Todoroki drama with a battle between Dabi and Shoto is the sort of thing that could plausibly support its own entire arc. Say, a mission Shoto goes off on before the final battle, framed as keeping Dabi off the board before the main team makes their run at the boss. It's a small change in framing and it'd extend the run by a few more chapters, but it'd still give this long-running subplot a bit more breathing room, and Shoto can still make a heroic entrance halfway through the final battle to help out (as he probably will here anyway).

It does feel like a decision was made around the war arc that the rest of the story needed to be made to fit a certain number of chapters or arcs. The resolution of plot threads get bent to fit the structure (here comes Mirio! He's fine now) not vice versa.

All that said, I think it's the minor characters like Kirishima and Mina I'm most excited to see, since they were probably never going to get major spotlights anyway. Letting them wail on the bad guy who killed their teacher is about the right size of conflict for the story at the moment.

Similarly, I wonder if the theme with Spinner, Ojiro and Shoji is that they're all meta-humans? We've seen very little of Shoji and Ojiro's perspective on living in a world not willing to accomodate them, so it might not hit quite as hard, but at least they might have something to say to Spinner.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Something thats cool about this fight is that Dabi is the one who's just copying Endeavor's moves because he's stuck in the mindset of proving he isn't the Failure. Meanwhile, Shoto refused to play the game of 'who's the worthier Endeavor successor' and created his own moves based on his own unique strengths, which are basically the complete opposite of how Endeavor wanted him to use his quirk.

I mean what choice does Dabi have; not many other ways to use fire powers!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, Shoto is able to chart his own path separate from Endeavor in large part because he won the quirk genetic lottery and was incredibly blessed with both super fire powers and super ice powers at the same time. Endeavor has a purely fire power set and is so successful with it that he was almost as good as All Might, so if you also have only pure fire powers he's a pretty good guide on what works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think that's necessarily accurate.

A big part of Dabi's problem is that Endeavor's specific style is "Push myself to the absolute limit." There are plenty of other fire-based heroes who seem to do just fine because they're not trying to create a localized sun as a finisher move. The problem was that he wasn't trying to teach his kids to be good heroes, he was trying to teach them to be Better Hims without particularly caring about the consequences. That lead to Dabi loving immolating himself in a desperate attempt to prove he could do what his dad does. Shoto can do what he can because of his Quirk but even then he is explictly is not trying to become the ultimate fire hero.

Endeavor clearly never thought much of using ice which is the entire reason Shoto rejected him by using only ice for a while because it wasn't something his father appreciated or cared about except as a cooling method (rather symbolically like his actual wife.) Shoto being what Endeavor wants doesn't matter because he is rejected what Endeavor wanted and refuses to become the Ultimate Fire Hero.

If Dabi really wanted to be a hero "has a great resistance to cold but overheats easily" sounds like it is prime for a Support Hero to make him a special suit or something that keeps his body temperature low so he can go further out with fire. The problem is that isn't what Endeavor would do, Endeavor just wanted his sons to be him.

It's an unspoken part of why Endeavor was so lovely. He wasn't making his family suffer to create the ultimate hero. He was making his family suffer to create another version of him. Had he actually been interested in teaching his children in any way that wasn't "be exactly me" then Dabi would have probably be fine no matter what path he chose in life. It wasn't that Dabi was 'crippled' and couldn't work right. He just had a different skill set.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 21, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dabi could have developed his own techniques just like Shoto did. Maybe if he created moves that were more efficient and precise he wouldn't have hosed up his body as much as he did. Like if he concentrated his fire into a blowtorch or a beam of heat maybe. His fire is supposed to be even hotter than Endeavors so he could have explored the stuff you can do with levels of heat he never reached.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endeavor himself is explicitly limited by how far he can go with fire. If there was some way to get support equipment that could mitigate that weakness, it's pretty likely that he himself would have invested in it himself instead of giving up in despair that he wouldn't ever be able to surpass All Might and instigating an incredibly convoluted plan to do quirk eugenics to hope the genetic lottery gave him a kid with exactly the traits he desired.

I'm not sure that Dabi can actually modulate his powers to be used completely safely. When he started hurting himself as a kid(with relatively tiny flames, not with big rear end prominence burn style sun-blasts), Endeavor's response wasn't "okay we need to teach you control and moderation", it was "i have to tell this kid to give up and pursue another career because he's going to literally die", which is a telling response for a man who is so hosed up that he was basically breeding and training child soldiers. That suggests to me that Dabi using his quirk at all would be too dangerous and harmful, rather than him just needing to learn control.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Endeavor himself is explicitly limited by how far he can go with fire. If there was some way to get support equipment that could mitigate that weakness, it's pretty likely that he himself would have invested in it himself instead of giving up in despair that he wouldn't ever be able to surpass All Might and instigating an incredibly convoluted plan to do quirk eugenics to hope the genetic lottery gave him a kid with exactly the traits he desired.

I'm not sure that Dabi can actually modulate his powers to be used completely safely. When he started hurting himself as a kid(with relatively tiny flames, not with big rear end prominence burn style sun-blasts), Endeavor's response wasn't "okay we need to teach you control and moderation", it was "i have to tell this kid to give up and pursue another career because he's going to literally die", which is a telling response for a man who is so hosed up that he was basically breeding and training child soldiers. That suggests to me that Dabi using his quirk at all would be too dangerous and harmful, rather than him just needing to learn control.

Endeavor is but Endeavor doesn't have resistance to cold. Dabi does. Like with comic book logic like MHA already uses you could shove him in a Mr. Freeze suit or something.

Endeavor pretty clearly never considered anything but his own powerset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Endeavor is but Endeavor doesn't have resistance to cold. Dabi does. Like with comic book logic like MHA already uses you could shove him in a Mr. Freeze suit or something.

Endeavor pretty clearly never considered anything but his own powerset.

Logically, Endeavor could boost his resistance to cold temperatures by heating himself up. Like how Deku could survive being rewound by Eri by constantly breaking himself all the time.