Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Me playing bogass standard milsim shooter: "haha the russian soldiers would never stand next to explosive barrels like that IRL, have they no sense of self preservation?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I bet nobody had that on their bingo card. :stare:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yah but they had it on their bango card

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, ammonium nitrate fortification sandbags! I thought I'd read the dumbest thing with the cardboard flak vest.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I know ammonium nitrate is everybody's favorite ingredient for HME, but will it really explode that easily on its own?

Either way :lol: just use dirt you stupid fucks

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
I'm told the explosive fertilizer sandbags are only dangerous if you spill fuel on them, so the Russians are fine since they ran out of gas.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

I know ammonium nitrate is everybody's favorite ingredient for HME, but will it really explode that easily on its own?

Naw. It'll happily burn like a motherfucker, but it needs confinement and prolonged heat to decompose to the point of really exploding, ala the West, Texas fertilizer plant or Beirut.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 20, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm picturing the 'shooting a pistol at a tank' scene from Saving Private Ryan. Ukraine soldier fires at some sand bags then stands there confused for a bit when the entire fortification goes kerblooey.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cruft posted:

Holy poo poo, ammonium nitrate fortification sandbags! I thought I'd read the dumbest thing with the cardboard flak vest.

would you rather:

wear bulletproof vest but use anfo bags

or

wear cardboard plates but use sandbags

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alan Smithee posted:

Me playing bogass standard milsim shooter: "haha the russian soldiers would never stand next to explosive barrels like that IRL, have they no sense of self preservation?"

Clearly the developers of Goldeneye 64 knew something the rest of us didn’t.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Barcley posted:

I'm told the explosive fertilizer sandbags are only dangerous if you spill fuel on them, so the Russians are fine since they ran out of gas.

Anfo still needs a confined space and typically something stupid hot to detonate. I remember watching bench shots in quarries using anfo, it's more annoying to ignite but vastly more effective than just stuffing dynamite in a hole.

Also isn't poo poo like tannerite half AN and half something like extremely fine copper or rust filings?

At this rate I look forward to seeing twitter posts about russian tannerite sandbags in like, a week.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Stable, properly stored AN is not super reactive.

This is Ukrainian agricultural AN that some Russian conscript stole to make sandbags out of.

It probably wont explode? But like… don’t go anywhere near it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do you have way more fertilizer than you have sand. It's sand, my understanding is it gets everywhere

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Its already bagged.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

fartknocker posted:

Clearly the developers of Goldeneye 64 knew something the rest of us didn’t.
Distribution of combat casualties by weapon type:

Artillery - 51.2%
Small arms - 31.8%
Slappers - 2.7%

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bees everywhere posted:

No, it's very hard to ignite and won't explode unless it's confined. There isn't any actual explosion hazard, but it's a really weird thing to put in sandbags. It will burn pretty intensely if it does ignite, anyway.

It's a pretty big :lol: regardless.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Anfo still needs a confined space and typically something stupid hot to detonate. I remember watching bench shots in quarries using anfo, it's more annoying to ignite but vastly more effective than just stuffing dynamite in a hole.

Also isn't poo poo like tannerite half AN and half something like extremely fine copper or rust filings?

At this rate I look forward to seeing twitter posts about russian tannerite sandbags in like, a week.

I don't know for sure, but sounds right. Tannerite is can be used as a catalyst for ANFO det, I know from academics.

The terrifying video of the Beirut AN explosion was seeing that solid wall of pressure slowly pushing forward. That does bad things to squishy yogurt gundams.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Look, if dashcams, cell phone footage and CCTV coming out of Russia is any indicator, nothing they do is dangerous as long as they're sauced up the wazoo

zoux posted:

How do you have way more fertilizer than you have sand. It's sand, my understanding is it gets everywhere

Russians need the high ground okay

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 20, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

my kinda ape posted:

Simply have a submarine torpedo the bridge.

Would a sub even carry enough torpedoes to knock it down? Torpedoes vs reinforced concrete?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's fair but also unpredictable and it wouldn't require a lot of defenders to make offensive building to building war impracticable, because the Ukrainians have to actually avoid civilian casualties. They can't just shell everything into smithereens. Total collapse and retreat would certainly be the Ukrainian goal though.

That's all fair and good but riddle me this: what reason does a Russian grunt have to fight the Stalingrad of his time?

Offensive wars are all fun and games as long as you're winning. Then you need more compelling reasons to die for. The most pressing issue for Russia is that they don't have any other reason for this war beyond "because we can."

It appears the Russians are attempting to quickly gain ground to hold so they can call for an armistice before all the lend-lease equipment is fully deployed.

At this point nobody expects Russia to negotiate in good faith though, so it's unlikely a call for a timeout will be met with anything but a "gently caress you, eat lead." But you play the cards you have left in your hand.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well, TIL about the ignitability of Ammonium Nitrate, time to go down to Tractor Supply so I can reinsulate the basement.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I assume the only thing worse than being a defender in a protracted urban siege is being a defender in a protracted urban siege where the local population actively wants you to dead and gone.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Blistex posted:

Would a sub even carry enough torpedoes to knock it down? Torpedoes vs reinforced concrete?

Non nuclear torpedoes probably not. A Japanese sub did launch a spread at the Golden Gate Bridge during WW2 but none of them exploded. IIRC one torpedo was found beached on a sand bar a few years later and the rest are still unaccounted for to this day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alan Smithee posted:

Russians need the high ground okay

My fighting position would be made of bricks of hash.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Non nuclear torpedoes probably not. A Japanese sub did launch a spread at the Golden Gate Bridge during WW2 but none of them exploded. IIRC one torpedo was found beached on a sand bar a few years later and the rest are still unaccounted for to this day.

They're still out there, fighting for the tenno

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My fighting position would be made of bricks of hash.

oh the fighting position is on fire again. drat

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

aphid_licker posted:

They're still out there, fighting for the tenno

Like the Thresher, they remain on patrol.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1527691142023847938

Russia's most elite heavy armored force may have lost 1/3 to 1/2 of its total strength in the fighting around Kharkiv.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

That's all fair and good but riddle me this: what reason does a Russian grunt have to fight the Stalingrad of his time?

Offensive wars are all fun and games as long as you're winning. Then you need more compelling reasons to die for. The most pressing issue for Russia is that they don't have any other reason for this war beyond "because we can."

It appears the Russians are attempting to quickly gain ground to hold so they can call for an armistice before all the lend-lease equipment is fully deployed.

At this point nobody expects Russia to negotiate in good faith though, so it's unlikely a call for a timeout will be met with anything but a "gently caress you, eat lead." But you play the cards you have left in your hand.

Yeah, I don't see a Russian withdrawal being some kind of "Death or glory! Hold the festung for the fatherland!" situation. First of all they just aren't going to have the supply for it and LOL at the idea of Russia ordering risky night helo ops for resupply ala Mariupol.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

my kinda ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEA0dN3aTR0

Good video on this.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

per local propaganda, nazis then and nazis now!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

look at those giant rear end concrete piers the bridge is standing on. What the gently caress are a bunch of torpedoes going to do to that?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Three months ago when we were all bracing for this invasion I was expecting that six months later we'd be in a situation where NATO would be doing a peacekeeping mission in eastern Poland, assisting displaced Ukrainian military elements for a counter-attack to retake their homeland, and the Canadian Forces would be setting up a Tim Hortons at a barely improved airstrip to keep everyone somewhat happy with memories of home in a brutal warzone. That it would be the invasion of Afghanistan for my own slightly later generation, but with the lingering threat of nuclear escalation in Europe.

Boy, I don't think I've ever been so happy to be so incredibly loving wrong about something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kazinsal posted:

Three months ago when we were all bracing for this invasion I was expecting that six months later we'd be in a situation where NATO would be doing a peacekeeping mission in eastern Poland, assisting displaced Ukrainian military elements for a counter-attack to retake their homeland, and the Canadian Forces would be setting up a Tim Hortons at a barely improved airstrip to keep everyone somewhat happy with memories of home in a brutal warzone. That it would be the invasion of Afghanistan for my own slightly later generation, but with the lingering threat of nuclear escalation in Europe.

Boy, I don't think I've ever been so happy to be so incredibly loving wrong about something.

Yeah, I was expecting NATO to be distributing stingers, javelins, and advanced IED components to insurgent groups covertly through the border to slowly bleed Russia like we did in Afghanistan.

This is better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
still don't understand the motivation. Putins last blast? bust out the red flag again? makes no sense. 60 years of credibility as a superpower reduced to yakkety sax and ukraines pr clowning on you multiple times a day.

:bravo:

even if you win you still lose.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I was expecting NATO to be distributing stingers, javelins, and advanced IED components to insurgent groups covertly through the border to slowly bleed Russia like we did in Afghanistan.

yeah, this is what i expected too

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

still don't understand the motivation. Putins last blast? bust out the red flag again? makes no sense. 60 years of credibility as a superpower reduced to yakkety sax and ukraines pr clowning on you multiple times a day.

:bravo:

even if you win you still lose.

sneakyfrog, and I say this as a fellow Floridian, when was the last time any of this made sense? The fascists, overall, are high as gently caress on their own supply.
"That's the beauty of it. It doesn't do anything!"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol touche

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is better.

Yeah i think this is what we all thought. Quick invasion followed by years of insurgency where we funneled intel and arms.
This timeline still proves to be insane and surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is better.

This is so enormously better it's crazy. Even and especially PR wise. Even an anti NATO, anti war person (who isn't a lost cause tankie ofc) should clearly see the difference between arming random unvetted insurgent groups and arming the legitimate, elected government of Ukraine passing laws in their traditional halls of power.

Stop arming Ukraine? We're just making it worse? That's not what their lawfully elected representatives told us. They should sign a peace deal? Take it up with them, the government of Ukraine will decide what they will or won't sign.

I doubt there's much opinion polling going on in Ukraine but I have to imagine Zelensky's approval rating is pretty good.