Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Hoppin Tin posted:

I'm a very old man in my 30's and I want to be like the cool kids.

How do I get better at gyro aiming with the steam deck? I keep seeing poo poo about practicing in Fortnite, but... you know. Epic.

I tried it with a few games, but I don't know what's ideal or how it's supposed to feel "right".

Show me the way goons.

Still aim with the sticks, only use gyro for small adjustments. For me it starts to feel like I’m not using it at all, just slight adjustments to move to a head/leg shot or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yep aim for the head with joystick and then fine movements with gyro to follow them and shoot

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Hoppin Tin posted:

How do I get better at gyro aiming with the steam deck? I keep seeing poo poo about practicing in Fortnite, but... you know. Epic.

I tried it with a few games, but I don't know what's ideal or how it's supposed to feel "right".

Show me the way goons.

Nerrel has been ranting about Gyro aim being a good thing actually for a while, this came before steam decks were out there but a lot of this should be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CenJLOTGxLc

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve said it before maybe in this thread but for sure others but Windows does not work well on these things.

Like it works ok and it kinda gets the job done but IMO SteamOS is just so much better at everything including power management.

On the other hand windows won’t ever stop being updated so it will always work.

I've been dual booting with Windows and while I still use SteamOS when possible, Windows is working pretty well. Destiny 2 is running around 40-50 FPS which is pretty amazing IMO, though I had to increase the VRAM for stability. Been able to download and play gamepass games like Tunic (with controller tweaks).

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

How bad is the dual booting? I know they haven't officially supported it yet, and the sound drivers weren't working for a bit.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hoppin Tin posted:

Show me the way goons.

If you want to learn flick-stick in particular, the creator of the control mode speaks highly of Boomerang X.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

minusX posted:

How bad is the dual booting? I know they haven't officially supported it yet, and the sound drivers weren't working for a bit.

as far as I'm aware, there still ain't sound drivers. whenever I boot into windows, I hook it up to my Bluetooth sound system

I have it running off an SD card and it works well otherwise

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

as far as I'm aware, there still ain't sound drivers. whenever I boot into windows, I hook it up to my Bluetooth sound system

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/13/23071454/steam-deck-windows-audio-drivers-speakers-headphone-jack came out a week ago

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

nice!! I should install these this weekend

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Like everyone else here I am having the best time with this thing. Reserved the 256GB model on day one and got it here a few weeks ago. Definitely a buggy experience at first but the updates have fixed all the issues it had initially. Really hits the sweet spot with 360/PS3 era titles in terms of great performance and battery life, Far Cry 2 and New Vegas have just been awesome to have in a portable system. Getting the EmuDeck setup going now so I can enjoy my roms on the SD card a little easier. Couldn't find the option for UPnP on VLC, not sure if it's a Linux thing or what.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I'm very thankful for the constant and relatively quick updates. I remember trying to dock mine to a TV when I first got it and it was basically unusable. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but last night I was able to plug it in using the same dock, turn on my steam controller, and jump right into a game without issue. Only thing is it wouldn't supply anything other than the Deck's native resolutions to the TV.

The game in question was Ultimate Chicken Horse, so that wasn't a big deal. I was worried since it was listed as "Unsupported" or whatever their phrasing is, but once I switched it to use the native Linux version of the game it was perfect.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hoppin Tin posted:

Show me the way goons.

TL;DR: Use your Deck or Controller like a steering wheel and twist it when you want to turn left and right.

There are two axes on which the gyro can be configured and neither is intuitive. It's the Yaw and Roll axes in this picture:

It's Yaw by default in most systems, which is where you treat it like a steering wheel and rotate the system left or right. Steam supports both approaches or used to where you can switch to Roll if you prefer tilting it left or right instead. Dunno if that's available on the Deck.

But yeah, other than that adjustment use it for small movements rather than all of your motion as others have said. I found it alien until I started playing Switch a lot and then it became second nature once I understood how to actually turn left and right.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

minusX posted:

Once you have it running it's easy as cake. It will boot automatically to windows when powered on. Putting it to sleep and waking up works just like a PC. Otherwise you hold volume down + power button to get to the boot menu to pick SteamOS when powering on, and likewise putting it to sleep and waking up works just like a normal Steam Deck.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Anyone here using EmuDeck/Duckstation to run PSX games? They look amazing and the upscaling is how I remember playing them. Strange issue, though is that I don't know how to activate analog mode on the controller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uhhh, my reservation is no longer showing up all of sudden? But it also says reservation servers are busy. Hopefully it's just a server error wtf. This happening for anyone else?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do you mean the "your expected order availability" thing under the model you reserved in the store page? It's working for me, I can still see my Q3. I'm also not seeing anything about servers being busy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also has anyone tested the GOG Galaxy launcher on the Deck? Does it work or would it be better to install my GOG games on the Deck without it and manually add them to Steam?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Do you mean the "your expected order availability" thing under the model you reserved in the store page? It's working for me, I can still see my Q3. I'm also not seeing anything about servers being busy.

Yeah it went from Q2 to not even looking like I reserved now

I don't seem to be the only one having this issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/utnblw/my_steam_deck_reservation_missing/

Figure I'll give it a day to see if it resolves itself and then contact customer service I guess. Man I would be so pissed if my pre order just got nuked somehow. I'm assuming that's something that they'll be able to fix though if need be though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mine is showing up just fine. :shrug:

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it went from Q2 to not even looking like I reserved now

I don't seem to be the only one having this issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/utnblw/my_steam_deck_reservation_missing/

Figure I'll give it a day to see if it resolves itself and then contact customer service I guess. Man I would be so pissed if my pre order just got nuked somehow. I'm assuming that's something that they'll be able to fix though if need be though.

I've been getting the same busy servers message all evening as well. It's annoying because all signs seem to point towards me getting an email next week. Hopefully this gets sorted out before Monday.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Running into a weird issue that I'm pretty sure is me making a mistake with Dolphin/Linux stuff more than anything Deck-related, but curious if anyone here has run into something similar.

Trying to run an older game with a Linux AppImage file. I've confirmed it boots just fine when I run directly it in Desktop Mode, but Steam refuses to see it when I try to browse and add it as a non-Steam game. I feel like I'm missing an obvious step, but I've messed around with the AppImage files permissions to no luck. Is it an issue with the Steam app's permissions?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

stuker posted:

Running into a weird issue that I'm pretty sure is me making a mistake with Dolphin/Linux stuff more than anything Deck-related, but curious if anyone here has run into something similar.

Trying to run an older game with a Linux AppImage file. I've confirmed it boots just fine when I run directly it in Desktop Mode, but Steam refuses to see it when I try to browse and add it as a non-Steam game. I feel like I'm missing an obvious step, but I've messed around with the AppImage files permissions to no luck. Is it an issue with the Steam app's permissions?

When I try and add a non-Steam program, it defaults to only showing ".desktop" files. If you change that dropdown to show "all files," does it show up?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Also has anyone tested the GOG Galaxy launcher on the Deck? Does it work or would it be better to install my GOG games on the Deck without it and manually add them to Steam?

I’m curious about this as well

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Im using Heroic Games Launcher because it covers both GOG and Epic Game Store, works a treat for getting things installed and auto configuring wine prefixes and proton for them. And you only got to add the one launcher ad a non-steam game

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

When I try and add a non-Steam program, it defaults to only showing ".desktop" files. If you change that dropdown to show "all files," does it show up?

Unfortunately no, folder still shows as empty. I'm leaning towards a permissions issue because there are other files in the folder that still don't show up when I switch to "All Files", but chmod hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

trigger9631 posted:

Anybody have a good dock / accessory recommendation to hook your Deck up to a TV? I tried the generic USB-C hub I use for my MacBook Air + monitor every day and got tons of input lag, though I suspect that’s more the hub’s fault than the Deck’s.

This is one that I have hopes for (I've seen it regularly with a clippable $10 discount) and it was suggested on Reddit, although I'm not sure about any input latency it introduces. It has HDMI of course, along with passthrough power, USB ports for peripherals, and extra storage (including an m.2 slot;) the only thing it doesn't have is ethernet, but you could always add an adapter via one of the USB ports.

As far as input latency is concerned, however, do you have a "gaming" or LL mode on your TV? I found that I had to enable that on mine to eliminate the latency after I'd hooked up my Xbone. That might be the entire cause of your problem.

Marx Headroom posted:

I actually have Mirror's Edge in my Steam library. Installed fine, when I launched it asked me to log in with my EA account, and I could play without any issues at all. And yeah it is a good fit for the Deck!

Just to clarify, are you talking about the original ME, which is a native Steam release and isn't an issue, or the sequel ME Catalyst, which was an Origin exclusive and still requires a hook into Origin even if you buy a copy on Steam?

I'm trying to figure out if buying extra copies of some Origin games on Steam is seamless or not for use on the Deck.

Hoppin Tin posted:

Show me the way goons.

I found gyro aiming to be pretty natural on the Switch, e.g. with Overwatch, where it's basically active (or disabled if you don't want it) all of the time. Then you can both aim with the stick and/or the gyro controls. (I use the sticks for movement including looking around and the gyro for actually aiming in on targets.)

On the Deck, I found the default implementation to be a little unwieldy, in this case with L4D2, where it's inactive until you touch the right touchpad (or I think the touch-sensitive right stick as well.) I'd assume this can be adjusted to work exactly like the Switch, and to be fair I did eventually get used to it on the Deck. I just couldn't figure out at first when gyro aiming was and wasn't active, and it was throwing me off.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Play Desk Job, it gets you familiar with those convepts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Atomizer posted:

I found gyro aiming to be pretty natural on the Switch, e.g. with Overwatch, where it's basically active (or disabled if you don't want it) all of the time. Then you can both aim with the stick and/or the gyro controls. (I use the sticks for movement including looking around and the gyro for actually aiming in on targets.)

On the Deck, I found the default implementation to be a little unwieldy, in this case with L4D2, where it's inactive until you touch the right touchpad (or I think the touch-sensitive right stick as well.) I'd assume this can be adjusted to work exactly like the Switch, and to be fair I did eventually get used to it on the Deck. I just couldn't figure out at first when gyro aiming was and wasn't active, and it was throwing me off.

The trick with the Switch is that the gryo being implemented at the game level means you can do things that feel fairly natural like "only use the gyro when you have your bow out and drawn but not when you have a target locked that you're strafing around", which is significantly harder to do seamlessly at the OS level. Some games might be able to pull it off if you have a dedicated "look down your scope" button that also triggers the gyro, the headache would just be dealing with situations where that button does other things in menus etc

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Atomizer posted:

I'm trying to figure out if buying extra copies of some Origin games on Steam is seamless or not for use on the Deck.

I just installed PvZ Garden Warfare 2 to check out the current origin implementation

when first starting the game it shows just the steam logo for about 2-3 minutes
then it switches to the Origin logo "connecting to Origin" which again takes minutes

it then finally switches to the origin login screen, which shows a very small text at the top "online login is currently unavailable" and I cant login (wifi is on of course and EA servers are up)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Still no order slot for my deck but I guess they have another month and 10 days so whatever

In the mean time, uh, I did this to a poor Razer Kishi and now I am using it to play on a 10"+ lenovo p11 plus; pardon the kid sounds, they are happy and safe, gurgling is normal.

https://i.imgur.com/lNmg3AP.mp4

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Atomizer posted:

As far as input latency is concerned, however, do you have a "gaming" or LL mode on your TV? I found that I had to enable that on mine to eliminate the latency after I'd hooked up my Xbone. That might be the entire cause of your problem.

Completely forgot about that! I’ll give that a shot today. And thanks for the USC-C recommendation, might get that if turning on gaming mode doesn’t work.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Still no order slot for my deck but I guess they have another month and 10 days so whatever

In the mean time, uh, I did this to a poor Razer Kishi and now I am using it to play on a 10"+ lenovo p11 plus; pardon the kid sounds, they are happy and safe, gurgling is normal.

https://i.imgur.com/lNmg3AP.mp4

So is this playing locally on the device, or streaming? If it's local, thats pretty cool.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Dramicus posted:

So is this playing locally on the device, or streaming? If it's local, thats pretty cool.

steam streaming over 5g local LAN with an expensive set of signal boosters. I would not expect this to be playable over the internet but I haven't tried and also I do have symmeterical 1000mbps fiber so it might work okay if I had a fat pipe on the other end.

a $180 4gig tablet can't run sick gamez native. Except the sickest game, Magic Arena

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finally did it, i submitted a support ticket to start the RMA process. finishing strange horticulture as it was crashing my GPU every half hour, that was enough for me haha

i beat 36 games with my borked deck. if some fedex guy steals it en route to fix or back, well, jokes on them because i beat more games on it than my switch probably

as far as other launchers go, I used Lutris for EGS but it was a bit wonky, and it seemed to not really work with GOG, so I'll have to try Heroic Launcher. itch.io has a linux version but if a game doesn't have a linux version, you need to download a windows version through the website... and at that point, what's even the point of having the itch.io app, lol. i hope there'll be a simple way to get Amazon/Twitch games on at some point w/o a third-party Lutris add-on, because I have a lot of games through that.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 21, 2022

thevortex
Jul 2, 2002

RETURN... FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!

Commander Keene posted:

If you don't care about GOG achievements or cloud saves, Lutris is easiest, manually adding them is also fine. If you do care, GOG Galaxy Launcher does work if you add it as a non-Steam game.

Unfortunately, when I tried running games through the launcher without minimizing it, the launcher added a lot of overhead while playing. In desktop mode, I was seeing GalaxyClient Helper use 70-100% on at least 2 cores and winedevice.exe using 50%+ of another 2. There's a workaround though. Or if you're fast, you can minimize the launcher while the game is loading.

If you install games through Galaxy, they go into the same Proton prefix, and you can add non-Steam game entries to automatically launch individual games through Galaxy. The entry should point to GalaxyClient.exe inside the prefix, and should have launch options that look like this:

code:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<galaxy prefix id> %command%  /command=runGame /gameId=<game ID> /path="windows path to game" /launchViaAutoStart
launchViaAutoStart starts Galaxy minimized, which gets rid of almost all the overhead.

For example, if the GOG Galaxy Steam AppID is 3600895448 and you want to run Hollow Knight:

code:
STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/3600895448 %command% /command=runGame /gameId=1308320804 /path="C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Hollow Knight" /launchViaAutoStart
The GOG gameId is the ID in goggame-{id}.info, inside the directory the game was installed into. I copied this line into a text file and paste and customize it when I want to add a new game to make it less painful. Also, you can move the prefix to your SD card and symlink it if you want to install games there instead.

Since launchViaAutoStart starts Galaxy minimized, there's no clean way to exit, so you have to quit through the Steam menu when you're done. I usually wait 10-15 seconds to give cloud saves a chance to sync, I think they should sync the next time you launch the game anyway though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hey my reserve is coming up, 512 version. I'm too poor to buy it.

It says:
mooV2 (Sat May 21 2022)
Estimated Order Date: Mon Jun 06 2022
15 day(s) 16 hour(s) 37 minute(s) 39 second(s)

Is there a way to transfer the reserve to someone for some money? Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy with a credit card and resell asap on ebay I guess

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Barreft posted:

Hey my reserve is coming up, 512 version. I'm too poor to buy it.

It says:
mooV2 (Sat May 21 2022)
Estimated Order Date: Mon Jun 06 2022
15 day(s) 16 hour(s) 37 minute(s) 39 second(s)

Is there a way to transfer the reserve to someone for some money? Otherwise I'm just going to have to buy with a credit card and resell asap on ebay I guess

You're almost guaranteed to come out way ahead if you are comfortable selling on ebay or SA Mart.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Good news guys, I did my part by cancelling my preorder:

I am glad they overdid it with the notifications on buying, because it leads to silly things like this.

Does anyone know how to flip the touch pads functions in desktop mode and Chrome? I was able to make the left one the cursor in Chrome, but the right one won't scroll even though all I did was switch their functions. I don't see an option for it at all in desktop mode.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Trucker Hat posted:

You're almost guaranteed to come out way ahead if you are comfortable selling on ebay or SA Mart.

Good to hear thanks. I could afford it at the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I have a game that works well in desktop mode but not in the normal steam os. At least as far as running well...when I try to play the game the buttons are all hosed. Is this something to do with having to configure the controller when using desktop mode? And if it is, how do I do it? I haven't had to do anything else in desktop mode, this particular game just didn't run well with steam os and I found out it worked well this way barring the control problem.