Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tales of Woe posted:

mal scores are good at telling you what the sort of people who watch anime youtubers think is good and bad, that's about it

Yeah there's lots of 6/10 shows I like a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Anime production committees are starting to take western views into account. It's still a secondary audience, but English speaking viewers can help tip the scales on if a manga gets adapted, or if an adaptation gets a sequel.

Anime is cheap and manga's devouring the western comic market right now. Makes sense to get someone to put a finger on that particular pulse.

heavy emphasis on "starting", i imagine?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Mal is just something kids use to share what theyve seen and how their tastes line up at a glance. It's mostly harmless?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the global audience is already a pretty big driver of what gets made

insofar as they're even looking at sites like MAL though i think what they would care about is "shikimori is the 4th most popular show of the season" and not "shikimori's score is dropping because a bunch of kids dislike it for weird reasons"

more likely they are going directly to the source and looking at what does well on crunchyroll, not MAL

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem isn't MAL specifically, it's the whole idea of people using these centralized sites to "objectively" rank poo poo according to their own tastes.

MAL itself is probably fine otherwise, I don't use it much.

Tales of Woe posted:

the global audience is already a pretty big driver of what gets made

insofar as they're even looking at sites like MAL though i think what they would care about is "shikimori is the 4th most popular show of the season" and not "shikimori's score is dropping because a bunch of kids dislike it for weird reasons"

more likely they are going directly to the source and looking at what does well on crunchyroll, not MAL

Yeah, I can't imagine they're not just looking at direct metrics for that stuff.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mal doesn't even rank tokyo godfathers in their top 50 movies. who cares (aside from me looking it up out of curiosity, anD YES, my monitor is on)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Shikimori owns and what im learning is that once again the adtrw essay writers have trash taste

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also literally nobody who makes an anim is using MAL to decide what anim to make lol

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I do like the ongoing bit where Shikimori is jealous of Izumi-kun's best friend because Inuzuka is able to freely express his feelings and engage in physical displays of manly affection in a way that she can't.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I like Toradora and it’s very good but “My Love Story” is the pinnacle of the Nice Guy romcom.

My Love Story owns so hard it defies explanation. takeo's not just a nice guy he's the best guy ever it rules.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I do like the ongoing bit where Shikimori is jealous of Izumi-kun's best friend because Inuzuka is able to freely express his feelings and engage in physical displays of manly affection in a way that she can't.

This post is just reminding me that Horimiya is good because it actually follows through with that.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlSanWe7ECI

Biscuit Hammer PV

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lol

Worrying that it has about 10 frames of animation total

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Namtab posted:

Shikimori owns and what im learning is that once again the adtrw essay writers have trash taste

Give me literally anything that Shikimori has done that absolutely any romcom under the sun hasn't.

Hell the premise isn't even that original, it's literally "Girl is good at things typically ascribed to men."

And Fate was doing that back in '06.

Except, y'know it had the balls to give King Arthur a vagina.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Erg posted:

Lol

oh dear

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NAZ had some pretty solid recent action stuff in ID:invaded and Sabikui Bisco...but none of that directorial staff is on Biscuit Hammer so definitely a big uhh

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Erg posted:

Lol

They better not ruin this for me. I've waited more than a decade for Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer to get animated and if they can't manage a decent adaptation I will... well, I'll probably just send them an angry e-mail. But it will be a very passionately worded angry e-mail. Honestly if they're falling behind I hope they just delay it.

The character designs look a little different but Satoshi Mizukami's style has always been quite distinctive so that alone isn't a red flag.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 21, 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah lol i had low expectations but that looks like its in rough shape for a show thats starting in 6 weeks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Give me literally anything that Shikimori has done that absolutely any romcom under the sun hasn't.

Hell the premise isn't even that original, it's literally "Girl is good at things typically ascribed to men."

:goofy:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

maybe they r saving the good stuff huh

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I like it when the girl switches artstyle and it makes the boy swoon

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Same.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's OK to like Shikimori and it's a good series. It's just not my thing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not terrible by any means but it's very clearly a middle of the road series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Natural 20 posted:

Why does a show have to do something unique to be any good? There’s tons of anime that have just done what other things have done but still be good. Like Slam Dunk exists so all those other basketball manga/anime should just get trashed?

Shikimori is a fun show. I find the premise amusing and it has a likeable cast that offers up some fun situations. It’s amusing to me how exactly the main characters bad luck manifests itself. It’s not the most unique thing, no. But it does what it wants to do fairly well, and considering the amount of anime that fail to even reach that hurdle. It’s good enough.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's not terrible by any means but it's very clearly a middle of the road series

Clearly?

The Black Stones posted:

Why does a show have to do something unique to be any good? There’s tons of anime that have just done what other things have done but still be good. Like Slam Dunk exists so all those other basketball manga/anime should just get trashed?

Shikimori is a fun show. I find the premise amusing and it has a likeable cast that offers up some fun situations. It’s amusing to me how exactly the main characters bad luck manifests itself. It’s not the most unique thing, no. But it does what it wants to do fairly well, and considering the amount of anime that fail to even reach that hurdle. It’s good enough.
Its this, although i appreciate the commitment to meltdown may

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can appreciate a fun little story about a guy who is doing his best to make his girlfriend happy, but feels a bit sad that his plans typically fail due to bad luck. i appreciate that she likes him for his good qualities that he cant see in himself. I think the supporting cast is fun and i enjoy watching the show. Sure it doesn't particularly tread new ground but does everything need to?

The last thing adtrw needs is to become a place where we start pissing on each others cornflakes again

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shikimori's Not Just Mediocre

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2022 is the year that we enjoy things

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:yeah:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's not a good romance anime unless they are fighting each other or solving mysteries

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I haven't gotten around to watching Shikimori yet but I don't understand the criticism about the eyes when the show that's clearly guilty of Eye Crimes this season is the ballet one

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SexyBlindfold posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching Shikimori yet but I don't understand the criticism about the eyes when the show that's clearly guilty of Eye Crimes this season is the ballet one

I’ve watched the first couple of episodes and don’t know if I’ll come back to it because those eyes bug the heck out of me.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

I’ve watched the first couple of episodes and don’t know if I’ll come back to it because those eyes bug the heck out of me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

it's the test you must pass in order to watch one of the best anime this season

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Namtab posted:

2022 is the year that we enjoy things

I didn't enjoy shikimori but I'm happy other people did. It's good a when people have a thing they enjoy.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

this is kino

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I didn't enjoy shikimori but I'm happy other people did. It's good a when people have a thing they enjoy.

Not a fan of this bad attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Namtab posted:

Not a fan of this bad attitude

I enjoy this attitude