Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/1527873847965409281

The Dirty Burger posted:

Frank Seravelli decided to write a lot of words today about how good Duncan Keith is and that Kenny Holland was not owned

one good game undoes all the bad :11tea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Keith was actually good last night but he's been dog poo poo for 3 months lmao

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

Why has Suter's strict defensive style become "flail around wildly and hope for the best" since the start of this series?

Among other things Markstrom has been really, really bad through two games, and I think it's really thrown off Calgary's play.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

Tiki torch rally ran late.

The Central Park 5 did not go down in NC, bub.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

Among other things Markstrom has been really, really bad through two games, and I think it's really thrown off Calgary's play.

The Oilers also made a few changes to their attack and Calgary just didn't seem ready for it or couldn't adjust to it. Oilers were getting behind the Flames defence with stretch passes all night instead of working out of their zone like a unit as they did in the first game (and got killed by turnovers trying to do)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/jonmoxIeys/status/1527800361750249473

Lmao if you could have sound in an av.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Well no, you wouldn't give a name like that to a daily occurrence.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Tiki torch rally ran late.

Says the fan cheering for A. Copp and the blueshirts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Battle of Alberta has been a great series. It's a real shame that ESPN's broadcast of it is so unbelievably loving terrible.

grack posted:

It's got to be pretty unusual for a goalie to give up 11 goals in the first 2 games of a series and not get benched.

Rangers have played extremely well and are unlucky to be down 2-0, a few different bounces and they could have been up 2-0. I dunno what it was about the Penguins that melted the Rangers' brains but they've given Carolina fits for long stretches.

The Rangers have the foundation of a dynasty in place. K'Andre is a beast and in another year or two they may have two of the five best defensemen in the world, plus an elite goalie, plus a world class scorer, plus several more good forwards. Whether they can actually turn it into a couple Cups rests on how they go about filling out the bottom half of the roster (plus the most important factor for all hockey teams, dumb luck) but man is the top end talent there.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now now, don't drag the St Louis fans into this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's got to be pretty unusual for a goalie to give up 11 goals in the first 2 games of a series and not get benched.

Vladar isn't a better option

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

grack posted:

Vladar isn't a better option

Vladar has played fine in the regular season and if Markstrom is tired and can’t focus the answer isn’t “keep playing him anyway”

If he turns in another turd of a performance you’re better off benching him for a game and sending a message to your defence they actually need to defend.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

The Black Stones posted:

Vladar has played fine in the regular season and if Markstrom is tired and can’t focus the answer isn’t “keep playing him anyway”

If he turns in another turd of a performance you’re better off benching him for a game and sending a message to your defence they actually need to defend.

Still in awe of Sutter line matching McDavid against Gudbranson and Zadorov

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Raleigh is like 100% north eastern ex-pats so making fun of fans for being southern doesnt really work. You should make fun of them for being nerds who couldn't hack it in any real major city in the mid-atlantic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The team should be in Charlotte.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

eXXon posted:

Says the fan cheering for A. Copp and the blueshirts.

He's got a shoot first mentality. But not in this series.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rangers have played extremely well and are unlucky to be down 2-0, a few different bounces and they could have been up 2-0. I dunno what it was about the Penguins that melted the Rangers' brains but they've given Carolina fits for long stretches.

The Rangers have the foundation of a dynasty in place. K'Andre is a beast and in another year or two they may have two of the five best defensemen in the world, plus an elite goalie, plus a world class scorer, plus several more good forwards. Whether they can actually turn it into a couple Cups rests on how they go about filling out the bottom half of the roster (plus the most important factor for all hockey teams, dumb luck) but man is the top end talent there.

i'm very happy with the way they've been playing. I think we have a good shot to even it up at home, but as you said, the future looks bright. K'Andre really needs to work on his in-zone defensive coverage and focus (I'm gonna mail him tapes of all the Lightning's huge dumb rear end defensemen doing interference 24/7 in these playoffs in front of the net), but he's really taken a step up this year. hopefully Schneider can grow to replace Trouba in a couple of years with him. it's a fun defense to watch. I think it would be even better if Lindgren and Fox weren't so obviously hurt.

the three big questions IMO for them are:

1) can they win it within the next 3-4 years, and can their forwards improve to take the spots of the older guys? igor's contract is up in 3 years, and I would imagine he will want to get mega-paid. panarin and trouba are up the year after, and Troubs will be 32 and Panarin 34. Kreider and Zibanejad are signed longer (and Goodrow lol), and they'll be 35, 33, and 33 when Panarin's contract comes up. that's a lot of money in older guys, although I think Kreider in particular will maintain a high level for the length of his contract. Zibanejad will need to have good wing support but will probably remain a good power play guy for awhile.

2) will the cap ever loving go up? if so, that will be really helpful.

3) can Drury not make Buchnevich-for-Blais or McDonagh-Miller-for-whoever type trades with all of the assets we have? between Kravstov, Lundkvist, Othmann, etc., turning those guys into contributors or assets would be nice. i used to be higher on trading Lafreniere+whatever for a center, but I think he's developing enough as an even-strength guy that I would honestly roll 3 strong lines and a very specialized 4th line, but I don't think Gallant has that style. I would hope next year that we basically do an 18-18-16-8 TOI deployment. but I doubt that we do.

e: also I have to say, and I will preface this by saying that those who know me know that I have a longstanding hatred of all Canadians and Canadian teams: Connor McDavid is very clearly the best player in the world at his peak, and it's not particularly close. that's with a lot of respect to Matthews, Makar, Shesterkin, whoever, they had great seasons. but I can't believe I'm watching him all the time I'm watching him.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 21, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Please don't trade Othmann. That kids gonna be a stud.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hell, if the Oilers get to the conference final and lose but manage not to get swept, I'll vote McDavid for Conn Smythe. Without him they'd have gone out in 5 to the Kings.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Aphrodite posted:

Well no, you wouldn't give a name like that to a daily occurrence.

lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Please don't trade Othmann. That kids gonna be a stud.

yeah I'm pretty excited for him. Obviously should take any OHL over-ager season, but from (lightly) following him, it seems like he basically hard-carried Flint the whole year as captain with like 2x the goals and points of anybody else on his team, then scored the GWG in Game 7 of the first round OHL playoffs, then scored an OT goal in the second round. Now they're playing OHL regular season and playoffs points-leader + Stars draftee Wyatt Johnston, who has also had a nutty D+1 year playing on a line with big idiot D+2 Rangers prospect Will Cuylle.

his shot looks insane. hope he can play right wing!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The biggest thing standing in the Rangers' way right now is zbad's long and untradeable contract. He's a good player but as we've seen with him mostly absent in the playoffs, they have enough good forwards to win without him, and he takes up so much cap space that they're about to really need.

I was not alone in saying a couple years ago that the Rangers needed to pay one of Kreider/Zbad and move the other and would regret it if they paid both. And they will.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers don't beat Pitt without Zibs. He came on late. I'm hoping he does the same this series. He's going to be fine long term.

A whole lot of these problem contracts are not the big deal people think they are when the player can just magically develop an allergy or back problem and go on LTIR. It's not like Dolan doesn't have the money.

What really worries me long term is Strome. It's clearly time to move on and pay Copp instead.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes they'd better hope Kreider or Zbad can be Hossa'd in a couple years. Because otherwise they will have cap space to pay and keep only two of Shesterkin/Fox/K'Andre.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes they'd better hope Kreider or Zbad can be Hossa'd in a couple years. Because otherwise they will have cap space to pay and keep only two of Shesterkin/Fox/K'Andre.

I believe in 2 more years Kreiders contract loses its NMC. Again, I'm not too worried.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Nocheez posted:

The team should be in Hartford.

ftfy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hell, if the Oilers get to the conference final and lose but manage not to get swept, I'll vote McDavid for Conn Smythe. Without him they'd have gone out in 5 to the Kings.

He might break the record for points in a single postseason if he gets to the conference finals

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Smith will continue doing all he can to help, by way of requiring the Oilers to score a lot of goals if they want to advance.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mike Smith has been better than Jakob Markstrom

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

mikko koskinen has been better

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think you'll find my food only horribly sickened 80% as many people as yours. :smuggo:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

mikko koskinen has been better

This is true and it owns.

ThinkTank posted:

I think you'll find my food only horribly sickened 80% as many people as yours. :smuggo:

It is time for you to believe in Mike Smith. He's been good for several consecutive weeks and months!!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

0 cups in Hartford, 1(soon to be 2) in NC.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1528211424195096576

Jordan Binnington is a whiney pissbaby
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1528211506147500032

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

this guy sucks!

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Craig Berube is a little bitch. Strongly implied that Kadri intentionally injured Binnington "look at his reputation".... he was fighting for a loose puck in front of the net and ran into a defender who pushed him into Binnington. Pretty obvious it was just an accident...

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Broken sternum sounds horrible, good lord

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

The Dirty Burger posted:

Broken sternum sounds horrible, good lord

Yeah, that sounds super painful, but it was a good thing that apparently his chest took the majority of the impact instead of his head, which could have been REALLY bad

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

:stonk:

Lucky he didn't get a punctured lung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe