Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'd love to but I can't find an authorized biography anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just as less technological cultures are often not credited for their intelligence (gently caress you ancient alien assholes), I also wouldn't assume that they couldn't be as stupid as we are. Over thousands of years, there had to be the occasional black sheep dipshit of the tribe who thought climbing that thing seemed like a good idea.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It wouldn't be one dipshit just deciding to climb Everest, though. It takes a community.

The things that enable modern people to do it are the people setting up fixed lines, the established camps, the tribal knowledge of routes, the oxygen, stockpiled and stash supplies, and modern gear.

Sure, some crazy assholes have done it without one or two of those things, but not without every single one. It wouldn't be one lone wolf deciding to climb Everest, it would be an entire community of subsidy farmers deciding to support one dickhead for a vanity project over several years.

I can't see it happening, particularly because climbing it "because it's there" is a very modern vanity thing to do. You go back three hundred years and people will think you're an idiot for even bothering.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ante posted:

Sure, some crazy assholes have done it without one or two of those things, but not without every single one. It wouldn't be one lone wolf deciding to climb Everest, it would be an entire community of subsidy farmers deciding to support one dickhead for a vanity project over several years.
Furthermore, AFAIK nobody climbed any of the 7000-meter Himalayan mountains alone the first time. The first successful climbs on the big mountains were done siege-style, with teams of people going up, placing supplies, going down, and setting up individual stages supplied with food and equipment. People climbing any of those mountains today, oxygen-assisted or not, have a route map. They know which routes are actually accessible. They may lay out new routes, but they never risk getting 4000 meters up and going "poo poo, this ledge dead-ended and there's no way up from here". Reinhold Messner and his followers, doing Alpine-style, are relying both on intensive personal skills/training and on space-age superlight materials for both clothing and gear.

Climbing one of these mountains requires an enormous amount of time and expertise invested by people who aren't the climbers. Messner wasn't using a wooden axe with an iron head; he would have been using fiberglass to start with and lighter materials as they were invented. Similarly, his backpacks would have been made from man-made fabrics and aluminum supports, and his stove would have been burning some petrochemical or other, and on and on. Even Meissner couldn't have done "alpine-style" climbing in the outfit Mallory set off to Everest in, or in anything based on natural textiles and readily-available metals.

e: I just found this quote.

quote:

From 1965 to 1968, attempts were made by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), in co-operation with the Intelligence Bureau (IB), to place a nuclear-powered telemetry relay listening device on the summit of Nanda Devi.[6] This device was designed to intercept telemetry signals from missile test launches conducted in the Xinjiang Province, at a time of relative infancy in China's missile program.[7] The expedition retreated due to dangerous weather conditions, leaving the device near the summit of Nanda Devi. They returned the next spring to search for the device, which ended without success.[6] As a result of this activity by the CIA, the Sanctuary was closed to foreign expeditions throughout much of the 1960s. In 1974 the Sanctuary re-opened.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 21, 2022

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I think the biggest hurdle to climbing with preindustrial gear would be water. There's no liquid water most of the way up. A primitive water container is going to be awfully heavy and start freezing in base camp. At that point you need a compact fuel source to melt water and make it drinkable. Compact fuel sources really only became common in the 1800s.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just put it in your coat duh

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ante posted:

It wouldn't be one dipshit just deciding to climb Everest, though. It takes a community.

My point wasn't so much that it was doable but to counter the idea that no one would even think about it, that the culture would with flawless efficiency stamp out any desire to get to the top of the tallest landmark.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is there a "no Sherpa" run category or are they absolutely required?

If you schlep all your own poo poo all the way from the bottom, that actually approaches an achievement imo.

Edit: this guy.
Göran Kropp

This guy iswas cool.

drat, that guy was cool

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My point wasn't so much that it was doable but to counter the idea that no one would even think about it, that the culture would with flawless efficiency stamp out any desire to get to the top of the tallest landmark.

True. Probably lots of people thought about it. If you tried it without knowing the proper preparation you'd probably give up when it got too hard, or you'd go too far into the death zone and just die because you don't notice hypoxia until it is too late.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A friend of a friend decided to start doing winter solo hikes up in the Rockies, quickly getting more ambitious going for hills then mountains. He was from the flat lands and had no idea what he was doing. He was told multiple times he was going to get seriously injured and die. He slipped down some rocks/snow/ice in a steep gully/avalanche chute. He managed to hit his sos button and died before sar could find him. I imagine things would play out similarly for people from a culture with a mentality of 'don't climb up the big mountain' so a person or group would have to learn from scratch how to do the more technical poo poo when things get rough near the top.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Leviathan Song posted:

I think the biggest hurdle to climbing with preindustrial gear would be water. There's no liquid water most of the way up. A primitive water container is going to be awfully heavy and start freezing in base camp. At that point you need a compact fuel source to melt water and make it drinkable. Compact fuel sources really only became common in the 1800s.

If you go up and down in 24 hours while hungover like that guy in the movie you don't need as much stuff

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have a Gatorade beforehand and you'll be fine

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If a local had summited prior to Hillary and Tenzing, presumably they'd be permanently remembered in legend. and now well documented.

And to give an idea of the scale of the early siege style expeditions, the 1953 expedition had 360 porters and 20 Sherpa, and built on another similar expedition in 1951.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I doubt anyone knew that Everest was the tallest mountain even in the local region, much less the world, until people showed up with modern technologies capable of measuring altitude. So the theory would be more like "every peak in this area was summited at some point before westerners arrived" rather than just Everest, and that's even more crazy.

We'd also probably have found more freeze-dried bodies of dead people stuck in nooks and crannies near the tops of Himalayan mountains.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For centuries, Europeans believe that Chimborazo was the tallest mountain on Earth.

It’s barely in the top forty of South America.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

We'd also probably have found more freeze-dried bodies of dead people stuck in nooks and crannies near the tops of Himalayan mountains.
Yeah, this is a big thing. One of the big problems with garbage(and corpses) on Everest is that once you're above a certain height, basically everything gets preserved instead of broken down(at least on the time scales humans care about). If people got anywhere near the summit before Hillary/Norgay did, we'd have come across proof of it by now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Platystemon posted:

For centuries, Europeans believe that Chimborazo was the tallest mountain on Earth.

It’s barely in the top forty of South America.

Wikipedia posted:

Chimborazo's summit is the farthest point on the Earth's surface from the Earth's center given that it is located along the planet's equatorial bulge.
Sounds like a difference of arbitrary definitions.
(Yeah they did think it was way higher in elevation than it is, but as a geologist "sea level" means nothing to me).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Centuries‐old frozen bodies atop Llullaillaco are what invalidated all altitude claims before the late nineteenth century.

Scarodactyl posted:

Sounds like a difference of arbitrary definitions.
(Yeah they did think it was way higher in elevation than it is, but as a geologist "sea level" means nothing to me).

It only wins by ten metres. That’s how close Huascarán comes.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 26, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I want the world's deepest cave to become a similar attraction to Everest, with the dumbest white people on Earth being guided by Georgian cave sherpas in a queue to the bottom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veryovkina_Cave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjPSgAnQRw

I suppose there is a little obstacle for my dream in that it is in the Abkhazian breakaway republic occupied by Russia so kind of hard to reach for many westerners. But maybe one day...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SCP-5140, except instead of being a heap of bazinga corpses, it's an ever-deepening human centipede reaching into the Earth

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/everest-base-camp-move-nepal-intl-hnk/index.html

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Gonna assume rich hikers complaining about all the poop is a factor

8,000 kilograms of human poop estimated left on Mount Everest this year

e: gonna use this gif a bit more today

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 22, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/EverestToday/status/1546152848819232768

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

drat that's some good footage

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

God bless photographers with little to no survival instinct.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

holy gently caress :stonklol:
:swish:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's timely avalanche footage, I just applied for a russian visa and border zone security pass so me and my wife can climb Belukha next year. Hope to not die in an avalanche.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's timely avalanche footage, I just applied for a russian visa and border zone security pass so me and my wife can climb Belukha next year. Hope to not die in an avalanche.

As long as you're not within *watches video again* 2 miles of one, you should be fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
'Oh dear God' is British for 'Ah gently caress I hosed up gently caress gently caress gently caress!'

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:catstare:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

nomad2020 posted:

God bless photographers with little to no survival instinct.

If you click the account link, they describe the incident in greater detail. Apparently they were next to a cliff, so their options were to shelter where they were and knew was somewhat safe, or book it away from the shelter.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ante posted:

There's no way Honnold is done, those people don't do that

Yeah lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyya23MPoAI

:catstare:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this is loving suicidal

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

basicblack posted:

I spent some time listening to/watching this over yesterday and today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL9UHk1zTeY

I did not realize that 1) Neal Beidleman is pretty much the only person from the '96 disaster that hasn't written a book (he states this towards the end) and 2) he states this is pretty much the most comprehensive interview he's given to date on the '96 disaster.

Not here to start a debate or anything - just thought it was a good way to spend some of my time lately :)

This is interesting, thanks for posting.

E was a good watch, that little wiener co-host added nothing though

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 13, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

the main thing I'm taking away from this video is that I love Alex just munching down on a red pepper after the hike. May have to steal that idea.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s “only” a 5.9 but it’s wild that even a seasoned veteran like mags was terrified in a few spots. Alex just chillin and goofing around like it was nothing is hilarious. Oh look at me I’m holding the camera AND climbing!

New HBO documentary “Edge of the Earth” has some absolutely beautiful shots of Alaska and some gnarly big mountain skiing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"I don't have that many go-to partners anymore. A lot of my old friends and partners ... have either died or retired."

:thunk:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

this is loving suicidal

Is it still strictly suicide if someone had encouraged you to do it like that?

Maniacs

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

punishedkissinger posted:

this is loving suicidal

yeah holy poo poo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was wondering if having a kid would stop Alex Honnold from free soloing. Yeah nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ethanol posted:

I was wondering if having a kid would stop Alex Honnold from free soloing. Yeah nope

he says at the end of the video that he'd like to take one of his own children up a route like that some day