Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ultrachrist posted:

I can’t remember the silly gun names but I’m assuming he’s talking about the gun that purgators can equip from the start that replaces overwatch with a special aoe attack that is extremely good early game and would roast a large group of enemies.

Yeah that's the one I mean. Purgators can use them right from the start but some other classes need a talent I think.

I never had that many enemies early on. Was it a bad warp surge? If it was the end of mission reinforcements the way to avoid that is to not kill the seed carrier until last since that fulfills the mission objective and triggers after-mission stuff. If you got hosed with 2 squads at once AND the event where revealing the seed-carrier pod summons reinforcements right away then yeah it can be a lot but I've yet to hit one that was unmanageable at all. I'm not trying to say git gud or anything, that just sounds like really bad luck.

I've also never had 2 pods I had to pop at once, was one of them patrolling? Mighta been able to wait a turn or two outside range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jedit posted:

No, I didn't have a Psilencer. They're talent locked and this was too early to have the talent. I also couldn't fall back because the reinforcements boxed me in and there was nowhere to go. Every marine was either critically injured or under lethal levels of enemy overwatch as soon as they started acting.

And no, that's not XCOM. I completed the original XCOM and it never gave you anything like this in the early game. You could get RNG hosed by missing a high percentage hit, but the number of enemies was always manageable unless you really screwed up. This mission is the equivalent of a midgame XCOM mission against a large Sectoid saucer, but it comes at the start of the game.

Depending on where the reinforcements spawn it's still doable, but yeah, it's basically the worst kind of cascade failure and you're just better off hitting Esc and clicking 'Restart mission' rather than dealing with that mess.

Max Wilco posted:

I guess I've just been lucky, because I think I upgraded to Win10 while I had it installed, but it still managed to work. One big thing you need to do is not install it under Program Files, but rather in a folder under C:/ (and I think the overall path needs to be pretty short) There was an update for it that broke it, but I was able to get it fixed by uninstalling it and reinstalling it (I believe it was because of conflict with a ddraw fan patch that I was using beforehand), and now you can run it in a window or full-screen with aspect correction.

I've been playing it on the Easy difficulty, but I agree that it does get very tedious. The larger maps give you tons of enemies you've got to take out, and if you're like me and trying to keep all your marines alive, you reload whenever you have a bad turn. The perspective also makes it difficult to try and gauge whether you can hit an enemy or not. One thing I found that helps to speed things up is to disable the walking animations. There are some game breaking bugs with it, too: I had mission I had to redo because it wouldn't end even though I eliminated all the enemies, and if you try to move marines en masse, sometimes their paths conflict and the game won't let you end your turn.

Still, I like it a lot. It feels like a snapshot of 40K around 2e or so (based on the logo used) when there were still things like Chaos Dreadnoughts. The visuals are still pretty solid, I think, and the audio design for voices, sound effects, and music are all phenomenal. Honestly, it's the kind of thing where I wish there had been a remake, or some kind of source port instead of a sequel.

One annoying thing now is because of Daemonhunters, searches for stuff on the original are harder now, because you get a lot of results for the new game.

Welp, I tried your method and installed the GoG version on a short C:/ path and now it works perfectly, I thought I tried that when I bought this laptop and didn't work well, what in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

The game gets really easy once you figure out that the optimal way of playing is being very slow and methodical. Are you out in the open? move slowly, never use group move, use cover, use smoke grenades and focus fire your heavy weapons (bring all the heavy weapons you can, heavy bolters are your best tool early on). If the enemy has heavy weapons on overwatch, you're going to need to bait them out at extreme range and bring them down quick. Tunnel fighting and melee is where things get trickier. Also, if it's your first time, be aware that there are unavoidable scripted events on most missions. Have fun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jedit posted:

No, I didn't have a Psilencer. They're talent locked and this was too early to have the talent. I also couldn't fall back because the reinforcements boxed me in and there was nowhere to go. Every marine was either critically injured or under lethal levels of enemy overwatch as soon as they started acting.

And no, that's not XCOM. I completed the original XCOM and it never gave you anything like this in the early game. You could get RNG hosed by missing a high percentage hit, but the number of enemies was always manageable unless you really screwed up. This mission is the equivalent of a midgame XCOM mission against a large Sectoid saucer, but it comes at the start of the game.

Psilencers are not talent locked for Purgators. Purgators are your answer for massive chaff hordes for the early and mid game. Psycannons are honestly even better for that. 20+ enemies is not rage quit material in this game it’s a fun excuse to hit the Psychic Onslaught button and watch many men die.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Jedit posted:

those revived dudes that pissed you off have like one HP a piece and are tremendously easy to stun, even early game that encounter sounds pretty doable if you just lean into the system a bit.

Also a dude going down in a mission does not equal a dead dude, you have quite a bit of leeway with losses in this game, just a heads up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Depending on where the reinforcements spawn it's still doable, but yeah, it's basically the worst kind of cascade failure and you're just better off hitting Esc and clicking 'Restart mission' rather than dealing with that mess.

That doesn't work; restarting will give you the same mission seed. I found, though, that closing the game and reopening it will give you a new seed. The new one wasn't as hosed up, but I found that it only had one seed carrier and I had to kill it with an Onslaught as it was in the middle of five enemies who were otherwise going to eat my lunch. So that's my research screwed.

Then the two packs of reinforcements again spawned in behind me for a total of 14 additional enemies that acted immediately. Luckily only one pack had guns and I was in cover from it, and the other pack wilted to grenades, but if it had been the other way round that would have been a problem.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Angry Lobster posted:

Welp, I tried your method and installed the GoG version on a short C:/ path and now it works perfectly, I thought I tried that when I bought this laptop and didn't work well, what in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

The game gets really easy once you figure out that the optimal way of playing is being very slow and methodical. Are you out in the open? move slowly, never use group move, use cover, use smoke grenades and focus fire your heavy weapons (bring all the heavy weapons you can, heavy bolters are your best tool early on). If the enemy has heavy weapons on overwatch, you're going to need to bait them out at extreme range and bring them down quick. Tunnel fighting and melee is where things get trickier. Also, if it's your first time, be aware that there are unavoidable scripted events on most missions. Have fun.

I'm glad to hear you got it working.

I'm on Mission 10 I believe (the snowy mission where you get the Landspeeder), so I'm been through some of the scripted stuff like having the marine get captured, and rescuing him from the ship. I haven't thought to use smoke grenades, so I'll give that a try. I just have to sit down and find the patience to get through, because I know I'm close to the end. It's just kind of intimidating and fatiguing trying to handle some of the missions because of how terrain makes it hard to gauge if you have line of sight with the enemy and vice-versa.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Overwatch from one guy is almost never a big deal, even if you have no way to disrupt early game. Just use aegis before you do something and maybe you'll take one damage.

Now suppression, for whatever reason, does absurd damage even at long range.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

NmareBfly posted:

Now suppression, for whatever reason, does absurd damage even at long range.

IF you do something. You can just stay put.
(or teleport away. Or punch the guy in the face. Or throw a grenade/disruption power at him. Or drop a statue in his face.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You guys are writing about overwatch and suppression like you aren't taking 4 interceptors into every mission, I don't understand

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It should be mentioned that when you are under Overwatch or Suppression you can use Aegis, servo skulls, teleport, or reload without triggering it. I'm pretty anything else ends with your guy getting shot.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

limp_cheese posted:

It should be mentioned that when you are under Overwatch or Suppression you can use Aegis, servo skulls, teleport, or reload without triggering it. I'm pretty anything else ends with your guy getting shot.
More specifically, any ability whose description includes "immune (autos)" won't trigger overwatch and the like.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 21, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

More specifically, any ability whose description includes "immune (autos") won't trigger overwatch and the like.

It would be nice if the game explained this anywhere.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You guys are writing about overwatch and suppression like you aren't taking 4 interceptors into every mission, I don't understand

I've been running 2x interceptors, a justicar and purgator or 2x justicars, an interceptor and purgator

I'll sometimes run an apothecary to mix it up. the melee biomancy for crit damage and melee movement can be fun when combo'ed with a falchion interceptor specced into melee crit chance. 10 damage per swing is :nice:

I did just start getting advanced classes. I picked Librarian, for more wizard poo poo. so they'll get tossed into the mix

I've stopped getting brothers as a reward from missions and instead hiring them from the barracks. the auto leveled choices can be frustrating

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

IF you do something. You can just stay put.
(or teleport away. Or punch the guy in the face. Or throw a grenade/disruption power at him. Or drop a statue in his face.)

Oh for sure. I just mean aegis and run through is perfectly valid for overwatch usually but I think suppression doesn't have a range penalty? One time the suppressing guy was at an absurd range away so I figured I'd barely take damage if I just walked out then it hit for like half the health bar.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So today I managed to complete the game, on normal difficulty but in grand master mode which I think counts for something.

Without spoiling anything I see what people mean more now with the inverse difficult curve. I'm not sure if I got lucky early on or something has just clicked in my head but right out of the gate it was all pretty successful, getting past the first story milestone without really having much corruption on the map and lots of upgrades. As I got towards the late game I had a full squad of level 9s, and then a backup squad of 6/7s.

The one thing I will warn people of without referring to the story is make sure you have two squads of level 9 guys who work well together for the last mission, or as close to that as possible

Some of the reviews I read described the missions as "getting in the way of the story" and I certainly see what they mean. By the end game I had strategic stuff mapped out and just needed to wait for the timer to tick down but every time the bloom spawned the only reason I even bothered going was to keep corruption down. I had loads of servitors, I had equipment for my main 4-8 guys. Getting loads of Grimoires to speed up research was just to stop me from getting bored.

The best missions were the bloomspreader ones, because with a Librarian, Interceptor, and Gate of Infinity Stratagem you could hope your way straight to it and kill the thing ending the mission. Increasing I kept getting chucked into missions with a really broken up map and 4 seed carriers to kill and it took so much longer it was a total pain in the arse.

The last mission was really cool but a bit janky. It felt almost impossible to hold the outer gate and people kept slipping through, but thats because my second squad was levels 5-6 and a weird mish mash of classes instead of a coherent team. It's a bit like FF7 where it suddenly is like "by the way I hope the rest of your team are good otherwise you're screwed in this final level" which I don't think is massively cool.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Popete posted:

It would be nice if the game explained this anywhere.
If you examine an enemy's abilities during a mission, the game does list the Auto tag if they have it. Not that I am denying there's a lot of stuff the game just assumes you know or can figure out on your own.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Kitchner posted:

The last mission was really cool but a bit janky. It felt almost impossible to hold the outer gate and people kept slipping through, but thats because my second squad was levels 5-6 and a weird mish mash of classes instead of a coherent team. It's a bit like FF7 where it suddenly is like "by the way I hope the rest of your team are good otherwise you're screwed in this final level" which I don't think is massively cool.

Seeing it done blind the first time, it was rough and could have spiraled into a loss. Knowing what's coming ahead of time, I can't imagine it being nearly as rough.

You actually want to pick and choose dudes to slip through. Your inner team has no other means of recovering willpower, and the outer team can soften incoming dudes up, either putting them into easy kill-range or reducing their stun to feed easy executes to the inner team so that Mortarion doesn't get a chance to act.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
My least favorite missions are the ones where you have to wipe out three Bloomspawns that are set in on a planet with high bloom infection or whatever it’s called. Even with a couple of Interceptors it just ends up being a slog, what with all the reinforcement that teleport in and how tanky the enemies can get.

I just avoid those now. Every other mission is great fun.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

This game can really surprise me. I was rolling through things on Normal, trying out the new Paladin I got from the ranged Interceptor I bought (lol) after equipping a stun halberd on him thinking things were pretty much solved. I lost him to a random event later but it wasn't like it was hard before him. Fought my second boss and because the game doesn't really show you what's going to happen I lost 2 dudes instantly. My Purgator was the MVP with his +8 Psycannon but it still kinda shocked me.

Progressed from there and started a mission with the challenge of "No Critical Hits" and I cannot fathom how to do that.

The missions can get samey but I learned early on to have a couple of each class in case of bullshit. Even then I've only had 1 Librarian, 1 Paladin only recently, and I think 1 Chaplain I didn't buy from a mission reward. I have Crowe but I feel I shouldn't judge Purifiers based on him. I feel advanced classes are too rare or at the very least should be purchasable in the barracks.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I keep restarting the campaign because I guess I'm on a perfectionist streak and want to make the optimal choices from the jump. It seems like its best to recruit knights from the barracks since you can assign their abilities vs getting them as rewards from missions. Is that correct? Also when it comes to unlocking requisitions at the grand master's meeting, whats the priority? I figure armor, melee, and equipment for my first three. Then favor armor and melee from there on. What say you thread?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Note for next run: start with the barracks. It sucks that early on the only Requisition reward are soldiers you can't get because your barracks are full. Now half of my roster is injured and the other half is level 1.

Also I wish they'd tell you what the general purpose of each class is. Apothecaries are healers, alright, and Interceptors are fast but somewhat fragile, okay, and Justicars are tanky I guess, and then there's the gunner one. Yes, I can figure that out by playing but I feel it'd be nice if the game would just tell you. If it does I feel it's not very clear.

Quick question : isn't the best solution, when you can't clear a tight overwatch spot (ie: 3 dudes are focus on one bro), to just pop Aegis shield and run out?

I'm still very early on in the game so my questions/feedback are probably naivue.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Furism posted:

Quick question : isn't the best solution, when you can't clear a tight overwatch spot (ie: 3 dudes are focus on one bro), to just pop Aegis shield and run out?
Depends on how much damage you'd actually take in the process; look at the unit's HP bar when preparing to take an action that would trigger overwatch to see how much health he'd lose. In general I'd advise against taking much more damage than you absolutely have to – remember that knocking an enemy out of position will cancel their overwatch (frag grenades are great for this), as will engaging them in melee combat.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

This game can really surprise me. I was rolling through things on Normal, trying out the new Paladin I got from the ranged Interceptor I bought (lol) after equipping a stun halberd on him thinking things were pretty much solved. I lost him to a random event later but it wasn't like it was hard before him. Fought my second boss and because the game doesn't really show you what's going to happen I lost 2 dudes instantly. My Purgator was the MVP with his +8 Psycannon but it still kinda shocked me.

Progressed from there and started a mission with the challenge of "No Critical Hits" and I cannot fathom how to do that.

The missions can get samey but I learned early on to have a couple of each class in case of bullshit. Even then I've only had 1 Librarian, 1 Paladin only recently, and I think 1 Chaplain I didn't buy from a mission reward. I have Crowe but I feel I shouldn't judge Purifiers based on him. I feel advanced classes are too rare or at the very least should be purchasable in the barracks.

Note the wording on that challenge. It doesn't say "win the mission without inflicting critical hits," it says "you will not inflict critical hits." It sets your critical chance to 0, even for guaranteed crit abilities (making them kinda useless in that sort of mission). You can't fail it without failing the mission.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Furism posted:

Note for next run: start with the barracks. It sucks that early on the only Requisition reward are soldiers you can't get because your barracks are full. Now half of my roster is injured and the other half is level 1.

Also I wish they'd tell you what the general purpose of each class is. Apothecaries are healers, alright, and Interceptors are fast but somewhat fragile, okay, and Justicars are tanky I guess, and then there's the gunner one. Yes, I can figure that out by playing but I feel it'd be nice if the game would just tell you. If it does I feel it's not very clear.

I'm still very early on in the game so my questions/feedback are probably naivue.

I mean, you seem to have a decent grasp on the four base classes. I agree that the game's UI and intro leaves something to be desired. To expand on the classes a bit:

Apothecary - healing, can spec into several "biomancy" buffs on the left side of the tech tree
Interceptor - Melee damage, less armor. Build these guys for crit chance with both teleport skills and 1-2 can carry your whole team
Justicars - All around/support. Can tech more for melee or shooting; Honor the Chapter skill is very strong (if more limited in number of uses post patch 3). You generally always want one of these guys on your team
Purgators - Ranged damage, overcast psycannon shooting can do damage to multiple targets in large radius. Can later spec into a grenadier class

Then halfway through the game you get some advanced class options:

Librarian - spellcasting support; lots of varied utility. Teleporting (Gate of Infinity) and Stunning (Psychic Shriek) are very good
Paladin - Tankier Justicar with a different suite of support abilities
Chaplain - melee support character, can be built a few different ways depending on which classes you want to closely synergize with
Purifier - ranged damage, focusing more on incinerators (flamethrowers). More situationally useful

The advanced classes aren't specifically better than the base, just more situational and a bit less straightforward to use.

In terms of your other question, it can be worth using an overcharged aegis (10 armor or so) to pop an overwatch or two if it gets a wounded marine out of a rough spot. Just keep in mind the opportunity cost; 1AP for Aegis, WP for the spell and potentially more for the overcast, then a second AP for the movement. Maybe try to at least combo it with a melee attack to get more mileage out of that second AP, or use grenades/teleporting to circumvent the overwatch entirely.

Ideally you are killing the entire pod in the turn you activate it to prevent much of an opportunity for the enemy to respond. I know that can sound very difficult as someone new to the game, but one thing that helps is keeping your squad close to each other while out of combat. Just move forward 1AP at a time with all your marines, cycling through them in turn so that when you start a combat, your marines are all as close as possible and you can start shooting or charging immediately instead of using a whole turn just to move closer.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 23, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I mean, you seem to have a decent grasp on the four base classes. I agree that the game's UI and inteo leaves something to be desired. To expand on the classes a bit:

Apothecary - healing, can spec into several "biomancy" buffs on the left side of the tech tree
Interceptor - Melee damage, less armor. Build these guys for crit chance with both teleport skills and 1-2 can carry your whole team
Justicars - All around/support. Can tech more for melee or shooting; Honor the Chapter skill is very strong (if more limited in number of uses post patch 3). You generally always want one of these guys on your team
Purgators - Ranged damage, overcast psycannon shooting can do damage to multiple targets in large radius. Can later spec into a grenadier class

Then halfway through the game you get some advanced class options:

Librarian - spellcasting support; lots of varied utility. Teleporting (Gate of Infinity) and Stunning (Psychic Shriek) are very good
Paladin - Tankier Justicar with a different suite of support abilities
Chaplain - melee support character, can be built a few different ways depending on which classes you want to closely synergize with
Purifier - ranged damage, focusing more on incinerators (flamethrowers). More situationally useful

The advanced classes aren't specifically better than the base, just more situational and a bit less straightforward to use.

In terms of your other question, it can be worth using an overcharged aegis (10 armor or so) to pop an overwatch or two if it gets a wounded marine out of a rough spot. Just keep in mind the opportunity cost; 1AP for Aegis, WP for the spell and potentially more for the overcast, then a second AP for the movement. Maybe try to at least combo it with a melee attack to get more mileage out of that second AP, or use grenades/teleporting to circumvent the overwatch entirely.

Ideally you are killing the entire pod in the turn you activate it to prevent much of an opportunity for the enemy to respond. I know that can sound very difficult as someone new to the game, but one thing that helps is keeping your squad close to each other while out of combat. Just move forward 1AP at a time with all your marines, cycling through them in turn so that when you start a combat, your marines are all as close as possible and you can start shooting or charging immediately instead of using a whole turn just to move closer.

I've been doing 2AP moves and grouping up on the point person and it seems like a decent balance of speed vs security from impromptu pod activations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I mean, you seem to have a decent grasp on the four base classes. I agree that the game's UI and inteo leaves something to be desired. To expand on the classes a bit:

So, 8 classes but you only get 4 units per mission? That sucks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Only half of the classes are worth using anyways.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

bamhand posted:

I think the only class I'd consider to not be incredibly good in some way is Apothecary, because healing is a bad niche and its support abilities aren't good.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

MJ12 posted:

Note the wording on that challenge. It doesn't say "win the mission without inflicting critical hits," it says "you will not inflict critical hits." It sets your critical chance to 0, even for guaranteed crit abilities (making them kinda useless in that sort of mission). You can't fail it without failing the mission.

That makes more sense and is more doable I guess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bamhand posted:

Having just finished the campaign:

Nah you're crazy. I think the only class that's a little undertuned right now is Chaplain. Every single class has deadly wombo combos. Interceptor is not uniquely good, it's just uniquely easy to be good with.

Paladin+Apothecary can do AoE 5 stun til the cows come home and just execute their way across the map.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
3 paladins tanking literally everything and using force lightning to blow up the entire map is the correct way to play

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I feel like Interceptor, Justicar, and Librarian give you maximum flexibility when things go south. You can reach anyone can kill anything with teleports and extra AP's. Sure other classes can do powerful stuff, but those 3 are the ones I rely on when RNG hits me with bad spawn locations or I accidentally trigger an extra pod.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

bamhand posted:

yeah no lol

bamhand posted:

I feel like Interceptor, Justicar, and Librarian give you maximum flexibility when things go south. You can reach anyone can kill anything with teleports and extra AP's. Sure other classes can do powerful stuff, but those 3 are the ones I rely on when RNG hits me with bad spawn locations or I accidentally trigger an extra pod.

Not even a paladin in this list lordy

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Well I got a grenade that does 4 stun damage, which I can load onto my purgator who has intrinsic strong arm (+5 grenade range) an armor that gives him additional grenade uses and it's basically game-breaking. Especially with a Librarian around who has psychic scream. And a chaplain with the 'extra AP on execute' litany. And an interceptor that has a +stun, +ap on execute halberd. Basically my interceptor can teleport in the middle of a group, execute one, and get like 5 AP.

The stun damage mechanic is cool but it feels like by endgame it is the ONLY thing that matters. Apothecary is still useful because he can do warp speed then iron arm for more stun damage on someone if the interceptor can't just teleport in or the librarian can't group teleport. I've not deliberately blinded, bled, hobbled, or otherwise status-effected anyone in a dog's age.

I've also avoided talents that do additional damage or do things like return fire because stun damage is the only damage that matters. I don't WANT an extra shot from my purgator because he might kill a guy that was about to turn into free AP.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 23, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I wish. How are people getting that many advanced classes?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

yeah no lol

Not even a paladin in this list lordy

Paladin's can go in the 4th slot. They're alright. A paladin isn't going to reach that guy in a really awkward location or teleport across the map to complete your objective before you're overwhelmed. They're pretty good but I'd put them as competing for that 4th slot after you've got all your movement taken care of.

NmareBfly posted:

The stun damage mechanic is cool but it feels like by endgame it is the ONLY thing that matters. Apothecary is still useful because he can do warp speed then iron arm for more stun damage on someone if the interceptor can't just teleport in or the librarian can't group teleport. I've not deliberately blinded, bled, hobbled, or otherwise status-effected anyone in a dog's age.

I actually don't execute at all. My interceptor gets 7 AP a turn from AP refund autos and his crits kill everything before they can be stunned. Throw in honor the chapter and quicksilver and that's 12 actions. I've killed all the reapers turn 1 with my team. Wait, actually I think he gets up to 8 AP per turn. Weapon offers +2, skill offers +1, then the passive that gives you one additional auto per turn gives another +2 total from your weapon and skill for a total of 3+5 APs.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 23, 2022

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah end game for me I killed everything way too quick to bother stunning it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Huh. I barely use honor the chapter at this point and I forget that stratagems exist entirely a lot. Have a +stun bolter, a +stun halberd, and a +stun hammer spread around so even if I'm out of grenades and librarian is out of WP it's not really a problem. Last night I had a bloomspreader mission where I popped a pod and had two reinforcements port in and I successfully stunned and executed everyone in all three then ended up with ~7 AP on my purgator to just chain fire down the silly plant.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Kanos posted:

You can still melee with a two handed weapon, your melee just becomes a shoulder check which does...2 or 3 damage, IIRC, I forget which.

Its one damage but it also knocks the target 1 square back. On some maps, this can turn your gun wielding purgator into an ultimate football tackler that can shoulder check plague marines off the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Zephro posted:

I'm on the fence about this. It sounds like it has the same problem as Mechanicus, where your dudes get so powerful by the end that the game is a cake-walk. Is that fair?

This one is planned out alot better to keep you engaged. Later chaos gate missions and plot missions can really gently caress you if you are not careful.