Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

FFG has shown with Arkham that they're willing to errata cards pretty aggressively. I don't understand why they're so reticent with Marvel.

Atomic Mass Games literally reprinted a third of all their cards for people so it's def not on marvel's end. Hope they do more "Gamma" cards for Hulk later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it opens up some fun strategy for super ready spider woman.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CitizenKeen posted:

FFG has shown with Arkham that they're willing to errata cards pretty aggressively. I don't understand why they're so reticent with Marvel.

Probably due to the target audience being much more casual.

The Black Stones posted:

So here’s FFG’s fix for characters who don’t have the Web Warrior trait but should

https://twitter.com/ffgames/status/1526940856766316546?s=21&t=C97Fd2JlA7EG4SWIZRW_3w

It’s not ideal as you still have to search for the upgrade to then start to be able to play the other Web Warrior cards with regularity, but it’s something. Could always house rule it to be there at setup but without the bonus it gives.

I agree that I wish they'd gone with a setup card that doesn't count towards deck size but I can also understand them not wanting to bloat that gamespace. The smoother rule would have been to just say "Spider-Man and Spider-Woman have the webwarrior trait" but I think the main thing I dislike about it is that while it could target allies, there's really no reason to. I would have rather see a version of Honorary Avenger/Guardian that made someone a webwarrior but could be played by Spider-Man/Spider-Woman so they could target themselves. Since it's end of phase that makes it a bit tougher to trigger since an ally lost on defense won't really help it.

I appreciate that they wanted to make the other spider-characters fit into the web warrior theme but this fails in a lot of ways.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Who had Colossus and Shadowcat?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yessssssss.....

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lol and 6 more packs to go with the box. Sure, let's go.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The interesting thing about the X-men in that box is it feels like they’re both heroes who might actually be really good at shutting Ronan down. Colossus being able to double tough means he can take a lot of incoming damage and Shadowcat being able to completely neutralize one attack means you don’t have to worry about one attack going off and it will be interesting to see how you can manipulate things to make sure she’s always getting blocks.

Very intrigued with the heroes and I’d like to see where they go with the other X-men. The one thing I am hoping for though, is that we get resource generation cards on the same level as Quinncarrier. I think Quinncarrier is such a great card because it’s a wild resource you can spend at any point and so it’s so versatile. However the Guardians, Champions, and now X-men all don’t have access to it. I’d like to see something that can slot into those decks if needed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kitty Pride feels like an auto-play in defense, because she can play defiance to cancel a boss attack, and slot 3 copies of it. The priority is making sure you end up in intangible repeatedly, which means cheap attacks and thwarts. But it’s nice to see so many new characters you can plan protection who don’t need chump blocks to keep your teammates alive.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gently caress yes, 6 whole heroes in this cycle, and well earned because it's the fuckin' X-Men. Surprised we didn't get Mr. Sinister but I'm assuming he'll get his own Hood-esque encounter pack or just be Scott's nemesis/a free modular thing. Expecting Omega Red to be much of the same. God the amount of new allies we're getting out of this will be killer.

Presuming of course that Wolverine is one of the remaining 4 unknown packs, going to just say Gambit, Rogue (probably in a dual pack) and Storm will be the others. Unless someone on the team really loves Nightcrawler, I can't see many of the others getting their own deck besides maybe Psylocke? But then again I would have said Shadowcat was a fringe case and if you told me Colossus was in the box, I would have 100% said Magik was his cohort.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DLC Inc posted:

(probably in a dual pack)

What's a dual pack?

I think your picks are good ones, and I'd probably bet the same.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

What's a dual pack?

just "2 packs" as in 2 releasing same month, since FFG has said they wanted to stick to that release schedule

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

What's a dual pack?

Those are my picks as well, although I would love to be pleasantly surprised by Angel/Psylocke, or Wolverine/X-23(though the pairs so far do seem to indicate romantic entanglements). I hope that Gambit's obligation card is called "It not you".

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

Those are my picks as well, although I would love to be pleasantly surprised by Angel/Psylocke, or Wolverine/X-23(though the pairs so far do seem to indicate romantic entanglements). I hope that Gambit's obligation card is called "It not you".

I think characters like Angel and Psylocke will definitely come but they seem way more like a later wave deal. This run will definitely focus on the biggest hits.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Who is the biggest Marvel character who has only appeared as an ally?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Probably Daredevil.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Probably Daredevil.

it's a running joke at this point that Daredevil has been on so many fuckin cards but is not a hero card. 100% he'll be in there along with oft-requested Moon Knight next year. Probably will be in a Marvel Knights thing with Luke Cage or Punisher in there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Who is the biggest Marvel character who has only appeared as an ally?

Stature

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

it's a running joke at this point that Daredevil has been on so many fuckin cards but is not a hero card.100% he'll be in there along with oft-requested Moon Knight next year. Probably will be in a Marvel Knights thing with Luke Cage or Punisher in there.

Don’t worry, they’re fixing that by scrubbing his art from cards (they removed him from “perseverance” in favour of Wolverine).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think Genesis is going to be a “newbies, you can jump in and buy the game now” box. Hence different versions of the art for all the new players they hope to attract.

When I play online, I really like having signature versions of energy genius and strength with my character’s art.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We've been playing Sinister Six online as my friend's store still hasn't gotten his box in yet. Do the printed standard villain cards (like Shadow of the Past) have custom art in it, or is that the TTS mod we are using? Threw me for a loop with Sandman because one of his things triggers off "Sandman" cards being played and SotP had his picture on it.

Looking forward to the mutants and I think Wolverine, Storm, Rogue and Gambit are spot on, with Ice-man and Emma Frost as backups. Magneto will get made eventually but not soon as he's one of the first villains and can't fight himself. The devs may get weird though, since they're doing Spider-Ham and Sp//der, maybe we'll see some weird x-men choices also. My buddy is holding out for Dazzler.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

:golfclap:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

bagrada posted:

We've been playing Sinister Six online as my friend's store still hasn't gotten his box in yet. Do the printed standard villain cards (like Shadow of the Past) have custom art in it, or is that the TTS mod we are using? Threw me for a loop with Sandman because one of his things triggers off "Sandman" cards being played and SotP had his picture on it.

Looking forward to the mutants and I think Wolverine, Storm, Rogue and Gambit are spot on, with Ice-man and Emma Frost as backups. Magneto will get made eventually but not soon as he's one of the first villains and can't fight himself. The devs may get weird though, since they're doing Spider-Ham and Sp//der, maybe we'll see some weird x-men choices also. My buddy is holding out for Dazzler.

It's the mod, Sinister Motives doesn't have the standard villain set reprinted in it

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

I think Genesis is going to be a “newbies, you can jump in and buy the game now” box. Hence different versions of the art for all the new players they hope to attract.

When I play online, I really like having signature versions of energy genius and strength with my character’s art.

Yes and no. I definitely think they’re gonna try and be “you can use this as your starter expansion” because they’re also launching it alongside 2 hero packs meaning all the aspects will be covered from day one. However, unless they reprint standard and expert cards and tokens, the core is always going to be “you have to buy this first and then you can move to X-men” but that’s technically been the case with any expansion except they didn’t have the bonus hero launches. So this is going to be a newbie friendly start for a little bit, but when more releases it will feel the same as any other expansion.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bagrada posted:

Was about to ask how the hell you were playing it on the TTS mod but I just realized the original author of the mod everyone uses, who previously said he was not working on it anymore to personal issues, apparently recently handed it off to a new guy. That's loving great.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I don't have the names handy but the TTS mod we used during COVID (the one that used to have a bajillion custom decks spread out on the top table) stopped updating somewhere before Valkyrie/Vision. After a little digging a month ago I found one that was slightly less automated and laid out differently but had the official releases up to date and still allowed deck importing from marvelcdb. It's a little more setup but a lot of work was put into it and we transitioned in pretty well. Our usual board game host still buys every release that comes out and we play casually in person fairly often but TTS comes in handy for weeknight campaign games since we're all pretty distant.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Yes and no. I definitely think they’re gonna try and be “you can use this as your starter expansion” because they’re also launching it alongside 2 hero packs meaning all the aspects will be covered from day one. However, unless they reprint standard and expert cards and tokens, the core is always going to be “you have to buy this first and then you can move to X-men” but that’s technically been the case with any expansion except they didn’t have the bonus hero launches. So this is going to be a newbie friendly start for a little bit, but when more releases it will feel the same as any other expansion.

I think you’re right and I’ve changed my opinion.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
goddamn something about these single player games that tickles my brain the right way. Picked up the champions starter yesterday because my shop had a sale and I’m really excited to crack into it

I played a few games of Arkham the other night using the app and it was awesome- is there an app like that for champions?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

John Romero posted:

goddamn something about these single player games that tickles my brain the right way. Picked up the champions starter yesterday because my shop had a sale and I’m really excited to crack into it

I played a few games of Arkham the other night using the app and it was awesome- is there an app like that for champions?

Which app are you referring to?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CitizenKeen posted:

Which app are you referring to?

https://arkhamcards.com/

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nothing like that that I’ve seen but I haven’t been looking

———————————

So Nova and Ironheart should be out now in North America. I got both my copies of them. My friend came around yesterday and I gave both decks a whirl.

Ironheart impressions - She takes a bit to build up, but not as much as you’d think. I think her biggest weakness especially at the start of games and with the leadership aspect, is that she is bad at crowd control. We did Green Goblin Mutant Genesis and it was tough because he overwhelmed us right away and we had to claw our way out of it. He did get to the second threat section but we got things under control at that point. When she was late game and I had her blaster out it was easy enough to start clearing enemies out, as she gets a 3 damage attack. Her cards that give you upgrade tokens for doing an attack/thwart and bonus tokens for killing or removing last thwart mean you can usually get your upgrade path going pretty quick. I liked her. She’s strong if there aren’t a lot of minions or schemes. So I think her worst partner would be a defence heavy hero (my buddy was Drax defence) but even then she’s powerful.

Nova impressions - Well, ask me again later when I try some true solo rounds with him and maybe against some other villains. I tried him with Ultron because I saw someone online say he can go off against him and yeah, that’s absolutely right. Nova is bonkers because you simply let a bit of drones pile up and then play unleash the Nova force which lets Nova stand and you draw a card anytime you defeat a minion or remove last threat from a scheme. So if there’s a bunch of drones? I had turns where I drew an extra 7-8 cards. It was crazy. I decked myself twice in the same time it took my friend to deck himself once. So yeah, Nova is crazy good against any Villain that will have low health allies. However, I think his kit is decent. He’s really built in a way where I don’t think he does high damage or thwart but he can really push small amounts of damage. I kept him aggression but changed the kit a bit to put some high cost high damage aggression and I think it helped a bit. I do want to see how he fares against a Villain that doesn’t directly play to his strengths though, to make a final judgement call.

My thoughts right now though, are that both are a hit, I would give the edge to Ironheart for a hero I think will be a bit more versatile though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nova is extremely versatile, because he can start the game Aerial and it has a lot of support. (Cheap events in yellow red and green that you can hit with team training.) His events are wonderful and you definitely wanna pack first aid with him, because keeping Kamala online means you get those events twice. He also has a defense card that deals damage without being in attacks, which gets around retaliate, damage reductions, and all kinds of weirdness. With energy barriers and electrostatic armor, playing him against venom he was a chainsaw.

Haven’t tried him in leadership but pinpoint and moon girl are potent. And his flexible wilds mean that he can get rid of attachments easier than most.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah I tried Nova against Klaw and while he didn’t pop off like he did against Ultron he was still really effective. Good call with first aid for Kamala. I added some to the deck as I can see how getting that protection card back could help a lot. Or even just being able to double up on potshot.

I did Klaw again with Ironheart, and while I think Ironheart is solid, she never struggled for a second against Klaw, I’m wondering if she wouldn’t be better suited for protection. She’s got a crazy high defence stat to begin with and her extra damage and thwart cards mean those can pull their weight in the long run. That way I can run a Med Team and use it to keep Brawn infinitely running so I have high resource generation and a great ally constantly running. I’m gonna sleep on it. If I do it, I might make an Iron Man leadership deck with some of those new leadership cards, with the idea of being able to pump up his stats, do a big thwart or attack and then stand back up thanks to Arc Reactor. I think there’s something there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you want someone with high core stats and leadership potential, Ant-man is amazing in giant form. Plus, Moxie is cheaper than morale boost and you’ll be able to trigger it every turn. Tony doesn’t really need big attacks from aspect, he wants to get those supersonic punches out and use those.
Ironheart can work up to the highest base stats, higher than wasp, anyone can do it with Symbiote suit. (I thought that The new atk boost card would be good in quicksilver but he simply doesn’t have room in his hand for attack events, certainly not enough to keep those things firing off.)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Honed Technique is crazy good. Thanks to that, Dive Bomb is like a megaton bomb going off. It does 11 damage to the main enemy and 5 to everything else. Absolutely absurd amounts of damage. I did a solo duo with Ironheart and Nova against Proxima/Corvus and while they’re not super challenging it was pretty much a slaughter. Ironheart was able to handle the threat pretty easily and Nova blasted things constantly.

I added 2 reinforced suits to Ironhearts deck to keep Brawn or Falcon going and having Brawn able to use his ability 4 times is great.

They absolutely nailed these heroes.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it’s fine Honed Divebomb works, because it requires a lot of components:
7 total cost, not including the cards themselves which brings it to nine.
The aerial trait
More than one enemy in play (three would be great).

So it would definitely gently caress up the wrecking crew, with the downside that you have to fight the wrecking crew.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I mean, yeah the cost is slightly high, but you’re not always spending it all at once. It’s 3 at one point and 4 at another. When I did Dive Bomb with Nova I easily played it by using Power of Aggression, Martial Prowess and another card. So it was only 2 card cost from my hand. Yeah you need Aerial but for some heroes it’s not that hard to pull off. It’s powerful, and not that hard to pull off. The huge thing as well is that you only have to spend a science to pull it off, the card itself doesn’t have to kneel or anything. So it’s easy enough with Nova to increase the cost of a bunch of aggression events cause he has a bunch of wild available.

I wouldn’t call it broken, but it’s definitely a huge combo that can break open a game if you’re struggling against minions or want to push damage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

So it would definitely gently caress up the wrecking crew, with the downside that you have to fight the wrecking crew.

I brought out the wrecking crew last weekend and it was better than I remembered. The biggest annoyance is just the table space and having to track each of their decks. There's also some wonky-ness with each of their schemes not being a main scheme. And it can be confusion tracking what happens when the active token moves during an activation. So while not a totally smooth experience, I actually wouldn't mind more stuff that's less modular when it comes to setup time. It's nice to just be able to toss it all down and not have to add in X/Y/Z.

It showed that they're learning though because of how much better the Sinister Six fight is.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Wrecking Crew was fine in the sense the fight itself was interesting mechanically but there’s a lot going on and they’re too easy. Every time me and my friend fought them it was a blowout. Neat idea but you could tell they were still learning. It’s interesting to see how they’ve come with designing encounters with Sinister Motives, where they all have fun unique ideas but also don’t feel like complete pushovers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Wrecking Crew was fine in the sense the fight itself was interesting mechanically but there’s a lot going on and they’re too easy. Every time me and my friend fought them it was a blowout. Neat idea but you could tell they were still learning. It’s interesting to see how they’ve come with designing encounters with Sinister Motives, where they all have fun unique ideas but also don’t feel like complete pushovers.

They were surprisingly easy. I don't remember who I fought them with the first time but I recall it was more of a challenge. This go around Star-Lord Aggression and Black Panther Protection, who moments earlier were getting wrecked by Mysterio, walked through them barely breaking a sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I just destroyed the Sinister Six with Nova and Dive Bomb. It felt cheap but it was fun.

I'm okay with some OP decks in Cooperative LCGs. You can simply just not play them. If deciding between OP and "Hulk", get give me OP. I would rather decide not to play something than have something unplayable.