Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Oh, and Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space. I can't forget that one, even if 99% of the people who've seen it want to forget it!

RabidWeasel posted:

I just looked this up and what the gently caress is that synopsis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

I feel like I had a stroke reading through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I just looked this up and what the gently caress is that synopsis

It's definitely the sort of movie where a synopsis doesn't help, I'll say that much!

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

My girlfriend really likes anime that is 'weirdly' high stakes - things like Food Wars, where it's 'just cooking' but everything about it is super intense and over the top. Any recommendations for other things like this? She liked:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia
The start of Beastars (but then it started feeling very fetish-y)
Spy x Family (but it's a little slow paced)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sk8 the Infinity is that sort of show for skateboarding

this season's Birdie Wing is that for golf but it's still airing

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks, we'll give those a shot. I'm also gonna try make her watch a couple episodes of a bunch of other stuff like Baccano, Death Note, Code Geass, Love is War, Dr. Stone, etc. etc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jizzy sillage posted:

Thanks, we'll give those a shot. I'm also gonna try make her watch a couple episodes of a bunch of other stuff like Baccano, Death Note, Code Geass, Love is War, Dr. Stone, etc. etc.

Love is War sounds like a great pick. Kaguya and Shirogane take their battles of wits far too seriously.

Maybe "Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues"?

It's a Kaiji spinoff about the middle management in an evil megacorp that runs high stakes death games. A lot of people take things very seriously that seem irrelevant, and treat things casually that actually are matters of life and death.

(Of course, it's funnier if you've seen Kaiji, which is a gambling anime, but that tends to actually have stakes for when people obsess over gambling games.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

jizzy sillage posted:

My girlfriend really likes anime that is 'weirdly' high stakes - things like Food Wars, where it's 'just cooking' but everything about it is super intense and over the top. Any recommendations for other things like this? She liked:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Yakitake Japan

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Ah yep, should have thought of that. I'll find that too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Gundam Build Fighters

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Ben-to is about honorable fights over discounted Bento boxes in supermarkets.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Welcome to the Ballroom - Ballroom Dancing

Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club - Ballroom Dancing

La Magnifique Grande Scène - Ballet Dancing

Wondance - Street Dancing

7 Right, 3 Wrong - Trivia Games

Dagashi Kashi - Candy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Hanebado for very high stakes melodramatic badminton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWG_wPuT6c

I wouldn't describe it as high stakes, but Nichijou is super intense and over the top slice of life goofy hijinks with amazing animation in lots of parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUk1ZoCGqsA

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

In no particular order:

- I actually really liked Beastars because they actually went all-in on the "wow that's supremely hosed up" angle in a way that was more about building character than just being horny. But it really is a tough/uncomfortable watch (intentionally) and nothing at all like the other shows on the list.

- Kakegurui is basically "Food Wars except about compulsive gambling," down to the characters constantly looking/sounding like they are on the verge of orgasm as they internally monologue what is happening. They also made a live action version for some reason.

- Assassination Classroom is about a bunch of school kids literally trying to kill their teacher (and the teacher knows about it). Very good, and quite the ride.

- Kill la Kill is... well I'm still not sure what it is. But a bunch of high school kids are trying to kill each other and there's lots of boob physics for no reason.

- Karakai Jozu no Takagi-San (Teasing-Master Takagi) is about a girl teasing a boy she likes in increasingly absurd ways. Light and adorable.

- Initial D is about a bunch of kids doing illegal street racing. It's completely over the top and 90s AF. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B4guKLlbVU

- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions is a show about how cringey teens are but also about learning to not give a poo poo what other people think.

- Girls und Panzer is "what if tank warfare was a school sport?" Seriously.

- Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time is about a kid who sits in the back of class and doesn't pay attention. Instead, he does increasingly elaborate and outlandish things to pass the time, to the horror of the girl sitting next to him, who is somehow the only person who notices.

Edit: There was another assassin highschool one where the kids were trying to kill each other instead of the teacher but I can't remember what it is called. It's not as good though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 23, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

what does she think about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? I haven't seen the anime but from what I've read of the manga, the chapter where this gif happened seems to be about where the tone shifted noticeably, as if the writer decided ["ehh we've done a season of Excessively Dramatic Martial Arts but that's gonna get old fast so now everyone gets goofy and impractical ki-magic bullshit powers and has a boss-rush fight against the dumbest supervillains ever imagined, because why not."]

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KillHour posted:

- Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time is about a kid who sits in the back of class and doesn't pay attention. Instead, he does increasingly elaborate and outlandish things to pass the time, to the horror of the girl sitting next to him, who is somehow the only person who notices.

Ok what? This sounds amazing!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh yeah tonari no seki-kun is a good one

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Has she tried to watch Yu-Gi-Oh before?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yugioh is pretty loving funny to just jump into a random episode of with no context of prior episodes

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
It might not exactly hit the mark, but I'll never miss an opportunity to recommend Chihayafuru. It's about people playing a traditional, poetry-based Japanese card game competitively, and the matches are super hype.

It also has a good mix of comedy and shoujo romance and satisfying character development despite being like 70% hot-blooded sports anime. The introductory few episodes are all flashback exposition and setup though, so it won't get into the hype stuff right away.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks for all the recommendations, these sound great. She hasn't watched any JoJo or Yu-Gi-Oh, but I now have a really long list to work through :)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tbh with every Yugioh season running about 3-4x as long as it should for the quality of its episodes, something more compact like Build Divide or Cardfight Vanguard (nicely separates itself into shorter seasons than a single one of Yugioh) feel like better entries in the "card games are insane" genre to me. but dub Duelist Kingdom is nice and punchy as far as Yugioh goes.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Birdie Wing is this current seasons definition of "super intense and over the top" as it manages to blend high-stakes gambling, action and women's golf all into a highly entertaining show. It's also an anime original show, not an adaptation, so it'll be written out to fit in well with the 12-episode structure if you're after something short.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

For "weirdly high stakes" I recommend the NSFW short series Miss Critical Moment(Ippatsu Kikimutsume), all of which was on youtube last I checked

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 24, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm once again asking for recommendations for my mom :v: She absolutely loves shows where they teach you about stuff - like the camping tips from Yuru Camp, or the in-depth explanation of paper-making in Ascendance of a Bookworm. I know this is kind of a very broad category but if you can think of any great examples of this, I'm all ears.

Stuff she's seen that fits this category for her:
- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub
- March comes in like lion
- Keep your hands off Eizouken

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azran posted:

I'm once again asking for recommendations for my mom :v: She absolutely loves shows where they teach you about stuff - like the camping tips from Yuru Camp, or the in-depth explanation of paper-making in Ascendance of a Bookworm. I know this is kind of a very broad category but if you can think of any great examples of this, I'm all ears.

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Shirobako might be good as a "professional" compliment to Eizouken. Maybe "A Place Further than the Universe"?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Azran posted:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Silver Spoon, a lovely anime about farming. My mom liked it a lot.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

silver spoon is a good show about farming/agriculture

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sweetness & Lightning has a lot of cooking instruction

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Gundam Build Fighters, if she wants an all-consuming new hobby :v:.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Everything Burrito posted:

Sweetness & Lightning has a lot of cooking instruction

She loved this one, as well as A Place Further than the Universe! Forgot to include them in my list.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Azran posted:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Sounds like she would enjoy "Let's make a mug, too", a thrilling tale of pottery.
Also, not exactly the same genre of "teaching you about stuff", but "Heaven's Design Team" has tons of cool animal facts.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Azran posted:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Encouragement of Climb (Yama no Susume) teaches you about hiking and mountain climbing in Japan, among other things.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Dr. Stone

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Azran posted:

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift

Also, the ending bits to Gunbuster. :v:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Was gonna suggest this. Broader than the others but will give you a somewhat functional knowledge of how to make iron, soap, an aircraft carrier, etc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jizzy sillage posted:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia

Ping Pong

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Azran posted:

I'm once again asking for recommendations for my mom :v:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Cells at work.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any manga with the feel of Final Fantasy 7? Fantasy-industrial setting, magic alongside technology. Ecological or anti-capitalist themes would be a plus.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Azran posted:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

Houseki no Kuni has accurate rock facts :v:

Chas McGill posted:

Any manga with the feel of Final Fantasy 7? Fantasy-industrial setting, magic alongside technology. Ecological or anti-capitalist themes would be a plus.

Maybe Fool night would be what you're looking for? It's set in a post climate apocalypse future where they're turning people into plants for oxygen. Unsurpsingly it's got a bodyhorror vibe though https://mangadex.org/title/e660da42-375c-4fca-80f1-1afbe5342b8f/fool-night

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Azran posted:

- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub

I recently watched Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and thought that was excellent it's all about Rakugo and japanese theater but it's also a very moving show about family and whatnot. I also recommend Chihayafuru if she hasn't seen that yet.