Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Picked up Bulkhead in Hamlets when showing a family member all the tourist traps. Just wanted to be sure I'd find him. Turns out he was the same price as in Smyths anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

Except the robot that results from that in the CW version is complete poo poo, regardless of one's opinion of the Legacy one. Even with the Perfect Effect add-ons, it's still the worst out of the entire lot.

That's what Menasor is, yes. For good or ill, that's the character. As with so many of the figures they've made in the last three years, I'm glad they've made the character rather than whatever nonsense the CW one was.

Again, disagree. The CW one is awesome and I distinctly remember people praising the poo poo out of all of CW back when it came out. The CW one absolutely blows the new one out of the water IMO.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The wiki has a laundry list of pretty nasty sounding flaws on the CW one, claiming it's by far the worst of CW.

quote:

Menasor is considered the least-stable Combiner of the entire Combiner Wars line, due to the various design failures that plague Motormaster's design which will more likely than not cause him to fall apart. Such issues include but are not limited to: bad hip articulation due to poorly-designed ratchet joints which complicates his ability to stand any way other than straight and stiff (further complicated by the lack of ankle articulation necessary to compensate), shoulder mechanisms that come untabbed due to weak lock tolerances if the arms are moved, a problematic waist swivel caused by the skirt flap being attached to the stomach instead of the pelvis, and the inability to keep Blackjack securely attached to the chest due to incorrectly-molded sizing in the tabs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dabir posted:

The wiki has a laundry list of pretty nasty sounding flaws on the CW one, claiming it's by far the worst of CW.

And yet, despite all those flaws, it’s still miles ahead of the Legacy one by virtue of it being an actual combiner. :thunk:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As an actual CW Menasor-haver, motormaster is an incredibly unfun toy. The kinetic action of attaching the Legacy limbs and having them bisect on the bone is streets ahead of the hosed up hips and nonfunctional blackjack integration on the CW mold.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Xenomrph posted:

And yet, despite all those flaws, it’s still miles ahead of the Legacy one by virtue of it being an actual combiner. :thunk:

Partsforming is okay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DoctorWhat posted:

As an actual CW Menasor-haver, motormaster is an incredibly unfun toy. The kinetic action of attaching the Legacy limbs and having them bisect on the bone is streets ahead of the hosed up hips and nonfunctional blackjack integration on the CW mold.

I have him and I like him :colbert:

He’s not my favorite CW combiner (G2 deco Bruticus supremacy) but I still like him and am not in a rush to replace him.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Partsforming is okay.

Not when it’s meant to be a combiner it’s not.

I’m not big on partsforming in general - if I wanted to have to take my toy apart to turn it into something new, I’d go play with my legos. It’s the main reason I was immediately turned off by the WFC weaponizers and fossilizers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remind me why we've got Menasor-on-Menasor violence?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
With their team dynamic and how combiner mentality works, he's as much a danger to himself as he is to everyone else /s

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Dawgstar posted:

Remind me why we've got Menasor-on-Menasor violence?

Autobots dressing up as Stunticons?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

Autobots dressing up as Stunticons?

Oh, yeah! I remember that episode now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That’s how easy it was to make a combiner. Just dress up as one and combine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If anyone still wants fossilizers, my local Forbidden Planet had Wingfinger for £4.99.

E: Bulkhead more like Bonehead

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 22, 2022

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Burkion posted:

I have horrible news

Those legs are correctly facing because that's, for some *insane* reason, how the G1 animation model was. The leg robos went on the back in the cartoon.

You don't remember it because how often did you see his legs and also it's loving stupid why would you design a combiner that way but

Yeah

Dabir posted:

Huh, yeah. In the screenshot the wiki has for his first episode his arms look like they're made of the cars, but in the other screenshots he's, well...

Technically cars pointing backwards is the canon for all versions of G1 Menasor, it's just that the front of the legs is supposed to be the bottom of the cars, not a blank grey slate like in the Legacy version.

The G1 toy worked either way, so presumably most of us made the correct decision to make the cars point forward.

Also this is an option, if it really bugs you:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How tall is the combiner wars menasor next to siege jetfire?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 23, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I do think its neat that its backwards compatible with Combiner Wars toys apparently

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ruddiger posted:

How tall is the combiner wars menasor next to siege jetfire?

They're about the same height.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The legacy shins aren't blank gray slates, they're moving sculpted panels etched to match the undercarriage of the carbots that plug into them. The fan first Friday videos from a month or so back lay this out.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

God, the G1 box ART is mistransformed, look at his arms, he has 4.

CW Menasor isn't that bad, he's not 100% perfect, but for what he was at the time, he was still good. The other Torso bots were generally more Solid, but from what I understand later Motormasters fixed the issues the first editions had. Also CW Menasor did something the new one does not do, be a Scramble City toy, where any limb can be swapped with any other limb, it looks like this new one has a set order.

Legacy Menasor is a good G1 Cartoon accurate toy, but the CW Menasor is a fairly good spiritual representation of the G1 Toy and it's features.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

I do think its neat that its backwards compatible with Combiner Wars toys apparently

Makes sense to reuse the connector, much like how the "Powerlinx" system still sees use almost 20 years after Armada introduced it, it's a proven method that works(even if it is basically just a standardized version of a series of similar connectors that Hasbro and Takara kept introducing from at least Armada), the fact that it allows cross line compatibility happens to be a nice bonus

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Apparently according to Mark Hasbro, the CW-esque connections are only at the knees and are not toleranced for CW cross-compat, so user experience can and will significantly vary.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Anora posted:

God, the G1 box ART is mistransformed, look at his arms, he has 4.

CW Menasor isn't that bad, he's not 100% perfect, but for what he was at the time, he was still good. The other Torso bots were generally more Solid, but from what I understand later Motormasters fixed the issues the first editions had. Also CW Menasor did something the new one does not do, be a Scramble City toy, where any limb can be swapped with any other limb, it looks like this new one has a set order.

Legacy Menasor is a good G1 Cartoon accurate toy, but the CW Menasor is a fairly good spiritual representation of the G1 Toy and it's features.

I love how much they cheated to give him a dynamic pose without deviating from the actual bots. Like Wildrider pretending he has a knee.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Knormal posted:

The G1 toy worked either way, so presumably most of us made the correct decision to make the cars point forward.

All that robot detail is too cool to hide around the back for some boring car bits TBH.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
'Cars as decoration' on a frame works well from the perspective of toys aimed at children. Motormaster is going to be 85 - 95 quid. If he can't even transform into a giant robot on his own and look halfway convincing, it's less compelling to an adult forking out for that. And if you also have to wait till Q2 2023 till you can form the giant robot when the rest of the limbs are out, it's not exactly going to be a great toy for Christmas.

(Can't wait to get Motormaster and the others for my kids, they keep asking for a combiner)

Also my kids love Wfc Ironworks, and my four year old proudly tells me he's a Partsformer like Ultra Magnus and Slammer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milotic posted:

'Cars as decoration' on a frame works well from the perspective of toys aimed at children. Motormaster is going to be 85 - 95 quid. If he can't even transform into a giant robot on his own and look halfway convincing, it's less compelling to an adult forking out for that.
Counterpoint: Motormaster (and each individual Stunticon) has his own separate robot mode, just like the G1 version did.

Milotic posted:

And if you also have to wait till Q2 2023 till you can form the giant robot when the rest of the limbs are out, it's not exactly going to be a great toy for Christmas.
Counterpoint: SS Devastator, who was released over the course of like 3 years.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I’m talking from the perspective of young fans. I’m sure kids love waiting three years to complete a combiner. A year is a stretch.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I bet they'll be sold as a box set once they're all out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Legacy G2 Menasor confirmed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like that they're doing a repaint of Waspinator in Legacy. My local Forbidden Planet still has two entire stacks of the guy. Customerzzzzzz hate Wazzzzzzpinator.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's just not as good as the Thrilling 30 one. I'd maybe buy him if I saw him hit £10 though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sounds like he's due for a Transquito remold.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
we need more non-show appearing BW guys. Where is Claw Jaw, Scavenger, or Ramulus?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Polar Claw was in the original pitch for Kingdom but when the line got expanded to fill out the s1 roster (a decision that also gave birth to SS86 to give a home to displaced s3/movie characters) he got dropped.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Scavenger is just Transmetal Inferno.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Anora posted:

we need more non-show appearing BW guys. Where is Claw Jaw, Scavenger, or Ramulus?

gently caress that. we need explicit BWII and BWNeo characters

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Scuba rather than Claw Jaw I can get behind. He's great.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Tako Tank 2.0 confirmed for next Titan

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nah, it'd be more fitting as a commander class

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I am ambivalent toward new versions of Transmetals characters just because they won't look as cool without the vac metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Counter Point: I just want a Transmetal Megatron.

Also we'll never get a new Heinrad cause Hasbro are cowards.