Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Jedit posted:

I think I'm done with this game already. I just had a mission where two of the blips were so close together that they couldn't be pulled separately no matter how carefully I moved, and as soon as they were cleared two packs of reinforcements spawned in and revived half the dead ones. 20+ enemies simultaneously is impossible to beat. This was the first Seed Carrier mission of the campaign, on Normal difficulty.

This game was designed by loving idiots who should never work again.

literally just use a psycannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I feel like the issue with the design is there are many very powerful things that make the game fairly easy. But it's hard as gently caress if you don't take those specific skills/stratagems/items. If you're trying to figure stuff out on your own you're going to hit situations that seem impossible since you didn't look up which are the must have things.

My game bugged out about 500 days in, and that first play through was a struggle. When I restarted the campaign it was a complete breeze since I knew which things to take.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You don’t need to look up what the powerful poo poo is you just need the basic ability to assess a system. You know what’s important in literally every strategy game ever? Action economy. You know what gives you a better action economy than the enemy? Mass teleports. AP refills. AP transfers. AoE attacks. And so on. Then you look for things that get you those.

Gates of Infinity is functionally anywhere between 4 and 12 AP saved and thus objectively the best Stratagem in the game. You don’t need to look that up it should be transparently obvious by doing napkin math.

Stun is good because it can tick multiple of those boxes. Iron Arm Biomancy on a Paladin (inherent +1 stun to force strike) with an aoe force striking weapon can do 5 stun in a blast pattern and execute their way across the map.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 23, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean when you're starting out you don't even know those things exist unless you're meticulously pouring over every screen before you make any decisions about anything.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

You don’t need to look up what the powerful poo poo is you just need the basic ability to assess a system. You know what’s important in literally every strategy game ever? Action economy. You know what gives you a better action economy than the enemy? Mass teleports. AP refills. AP transfers. AoE attacks. And so on. Then you look for things that get you those.

this basically

Its very hard to lose if you use any of the following:

Skills: Honor the Chapter (Justicar), mass teleport (librarian), +ap on execute (chaplain chant)
Stratagem: Gates of Inifinity, Quicksilver, Torpor (gluing all visible enemies in place is essentially giving your team an extra turn) Beware, you cannot use stratagems on the last few levels

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 23, 2022

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bamhand posted:

I mean when you're starting out you don't even know those things exist unless you're meticulously pouring over every screen before you make any decisions about anything.

Yeah when I was figuring out where to invest skill points I looked at the available skills before spending the points. I didn't realize that was basically cheating.

F'real they tell you about executing in the tutorial and I, a sophisticated tactics game player, knew instantly that getting my whole team another turn was probably going to be a good thing to be able to do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bamhand posted:

Why on earth would you not meticulously pore over the abilities screen of every class???

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I didn't say it was cheating. But you need to spend like 15 minutes looking at all the characters you have to figure out what skills are available in the game. Some people just want to get in there and shoot the bad guys.

Not sure why you're being so antagonistic. Clearly the design is enough of an issue that the guy was having a bad time at the game.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

wait peeps don't spend like 10-15 minutes reading skill trees when they start out a game? the only time I don't is when that information is hidden until level up

trying to find synergies and wombo-combos is half the point of these games

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Why did the poster who quit on the second mission simply not use the good late game builds?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

bamhand posted:

I didn't say it was cheating. But you need to spend like 15 minutes looking at all the characters you have to figure out what skills are available in the game. Some people just want to get in there and shoot the bad guys.

Not sure why you're being so antagonistic. Clearly the design is enough of an issue that the guy was having a bad time at the game.

I was being hyperbolic yeah but it's basically because

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

trying to find synergies and wombo-combos is half the point of these games

Yeah I literally looked at all the skills available for people to decide what I wanted to build to and I don't think that's a particularly weird thing to do in a game like this. It was even mostly just 'look through the skill tree for anything that talks about AP or stun, then go towards that.' And a couple of my earliest guys are built kinda wonky because I didn't know what was good but this game is generous about not killing your dudes so I think it's harder to failure cascade the strategy layer than with Xcom.

I'm not saying it's not a problem -- there are a ton of skills I never touched, especially stuff having to to with afflictions and resistances and purging mutations. That's not great design, though I'm curious if it's more necessary on harder modes or something.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Saint Freak posted:

Why did the poster who quit on the second mission simply not use the good late game builds?

:iiam:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I don't think we're really talking about Jedit being tragically bad at videogames anymore the crux of the conversation is more

bamhand posted:

I feel like the issue with the design is there are many very powerful things that make the game fairly easy. But it's hard as gently caress if you don't take those specific skills/stratagems/items. If you're trying to figure stuff out on your own you're going to hit situations that seem impossible since you didn't look up which are the must have things.

My game bugged out about 500 days in, and that first play through was a struggle. When I restarted the campaign it was a complete breeze since I knew which things to take.

The assertion that the game is some kind of unknowable black box on your first playthrough. It's...really not. It wears its effective strategies on its sleeve if you're paying even a little bit of attention.

Definitely agreed though that skill trees pertaining to Affliction/Resistance mechanics are pretty much a waste of time though. Also the game could use more Stratagems that can compete with Quicksilver and Gates of Infinity, the two earliest Stratagems in the game. A grenade restock Strat would be pretty competitive.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

You know a game does good at the XCOM formula when The XCOM Posting Cycle is happening

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

We're talking about two different things here. I was posting about end game balance, I never said you have these tools early on. Early on I knew I had bad action economy and there might be enemy swarms so I took more grenades and noticed the psilencer had a better AE option than the cannon by digging around in menus.

Should the game have told me more about the weapon options I have available? Absolutely, yeah. Do I think the game was 'designed by loving idiots' because of it? Nah, it's just more opaque than it should be. The UI needs work and boy could this game use tooltips.

Definitely agreed though that skill trees pertaining to Affliction/Resistance mechanics are pretty much a waste of time though. Also the game could use more Stratagems that can compete with Quicksilver and Gates of Infinity, the two earliest Stratagems in the game. A grenade restock Strat would be pretty competitive.

I just got the one that does (I think 3?) stun to every visible enemy and I haven't used it yet but it seems like a grand ol' time.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I don't think we're really talking about Jedit being tragically bad at videogames anymore the crux of the conversation is more

The assertion that the game is some kind of unknowable black box on your first playthrough. It's...really not. It wears its effective strategies on its sleeve if you're paying even a little bit of attention.

I'm not saying it's unknowable. But it requires a fair amount of work and some people simply don't approach video games in that ways. Most of the people here are tactics fans and don't mind reading character screens and figuring out how to min max your poo poo. But other people just want to get in there and play with dolls and kill poo poo. Or pick the skills with the cool names that fit into their role playing idea for each character.

I think it's a fair argument to say that forcing someone to read through all the choices that can be made before you make one is not great game design. Look at X-Com, your skills are tiered so you only have to compare 2 choices at a time when you start off. Looking at an entire tree, trying to figure out which direction you want to go can be kind of overwhelming. Especially when it's not limited to just the skill tree. There's also your ship construction, research, gear and items. All that stuff can add up to be overwhelming.

For what it's worth, I think the game is mostly fine. But the design does have a few flaws where the balance is off on the skills and items and there is a lot to process when you just start playing the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
To what extent is there character customisation in the game?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

To what extent is there character customisation in the game?

The same sliders and lists as you would see in XCOM2, down to each individual leg and shoulder, but since it's the Grey Knights in 40k a lot of it looks samey unless you've taught yourself to read the different bad latin on each pauldron

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Psycho Landlord posted:

The same sliders and lists as you would see in XCOM2, down to each individual leg and shoulder, but since it's the Grey Knights in 40k a lot of it looks samey unless you've taught yourself to read the different bad latin on each pauldron

Oh so you can have a female marine?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

lol

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Less customization than Xcom. You can't change color schemes besides hair and there are like 10 heads that are all variations of beardy man. But there are all sorts of crosses and skulls you can add to your armor.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

GW has dispatched the killteam

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Natural 20 posted:

We need more Sister of Battle in 40k games. Just a legion of women purging everything with more fire than the sun and chainswords bigger than them. Hell, give us the pipe organ that doubles as mobile artillery.

I know Grey Knights have a bad history with Sisters but that has been retconned.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Psycho Landlord posted:

GW has dispatched the killteam

So, in fact, at least 50% less customisation than XCOM.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

So, in fact, at least 50% less customisation than XCOM.

how do you feel about skulls, scrolls, swords, swords with skulls on them skulls with scrolls on them and scolls with both swords and fractal skulls made out of smaller skulls?

what's the actual warham word for this stuff? gribblies? bitz? well there are plenty of them at least.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can I completely cover my dudes in scrolls? I mean entirely, like they can't even see out of their visor and they leave a literal paper trail behind them.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

And then you notice that the bad Latin is apparently assigned at random. Why is that not a separate list? Who knows!

Edit: on that note, they’ve clearly got a text-to-model tool in-house that they’re very proud of, because everything past the base tier of weapons has been hit by a 40K - scale label maker

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 23, 2022

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Think they could've gone about 28 points smaller on the text, not bothered with English at all gone full high gothic latin-ish and c/p'd verses from the lore. I'd rather the text be near indecipherable than my indistinguishable faceless grey Knight have WRATH FIST across his breast plate or TERRA on his leg. Its one of the aesthetic things I've found most jarring. That & the lack of purity seals & scrolls everywhere, I know you can get some from the seed upgrades on equipment. They missed a trick in not having a set for kills & missions, so if you roll the same interceptor for near the whole game, brothers a walking tree by the last mission.

Armory rewards need to be multiple choice too, I'm going into the last mission with no tier 2 or 3 falchions or swords. I would have a fine armory of 20+ nartheciums though! Which shows the rewards are completely random or have some busted weighting & definitely don't change with what's in your barracks (only 1 apothecary the whole game). Admittedly I wasn't taking missions based on rewards early on more proximity I saw nartheciums & incinerators more than any other equipment.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a Beaglerush-level streamer somewhere that plays that game? I find that, for me, watching really good players play the game give me "Ooooh poo poo, you can do this?!" moments and helps me understand the game better. I'm not very good at understanding the game systems in depth by myself, but fairly good at reproducing what other people find, if that makes sense.

Also, w/r/t Sisters of Battle ; this games screams "we could totally sell extra elite classes as DLCs" and I'd personally be happy paying :10bux: for a Sisters or Adeptus Custodes custom class.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Also, is the game bugged in some way where it tells me I "cannot reach a mission in time" but I totally can? Or when I get three missions I should just do the one and then Advance Time? Does it matter?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Furism posted:

Also, w/r/t Sisters of Battle ; this games screams "we could totally sell extra elite classes as DLCs" and I'd personally be happy paying :10bux: for a Sisters or Adeptus Custodes custom class.

I want DLC with another chapter or a different chaos god or something. I mean for real it goes without saying that there should be orcs but since this is grey knights they gotta fight chaos I guess. :jerkbag:

Furism posted:

Also, is the game bugged in some way where it tells me I "cannot reach a mission in time" but I totally can? Or when I get three missions I should just do the one and then Advance Time? Does it matter?

I haven't seen it do that, but it's worth saying you can press Y (on gamepad) when you have a planet selected to get a better breakdown of the number of days you have. You can sometimes squeak 2 of the 3 missions if you get lucky with placement or have upgraded the warp drive. I've never gotten all three.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

NmareBfly posted:

how do you feel about skulls, scrolls, swords, swords with skulls on them skulls with scrolls on them and scolls with both swords and fractal skulls made out of smaller skulls?

what's the actual warham word for this stuff? gribblies? bitz? well there are plenty of them at least.

It's called FLAIR

I made one character that was almost entirely made of scrolls and books - even their weapon was wrapped up. It's not as cool as it sounds.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

I want DLC with another chapter or a different chaos god or something. I mean for real it goes without saying that there should be orcs but since this is grey knights they gotta fight chaos I guess. :jerkbag:

the game is literally called Chaosgate

as for the Ork game we've been waiting for well here ya are: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324530/Warhammer_40000_Shootas_Blood__Teef/

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

rocket_Magnet posted:

Think they could've gone about 28 points smaller on the text, not bothered with English at all gone full high gothic latin-ish and c/p'd verses from the lore. I'd rather the text be near indecipherable than my indistinguishable faceless grey Knight have WRATH FIST across his breast plate or TERRA on his leg. Its one of the aesthetic things I've found most jarring. That & the lack of purity seals & scrolls everywhere, I know you can get some from the seed upgrades on equipment.

Having WRATH and TERRA engraved on your armour in huge letters is literally what they look like though? The only reason it looks massive is because you see them up close in a level of detail not even seen in the studio painted models.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Kitchner posted:

Having WRATH and TERRA engraved on your armour in huge letters is literally what they look like though? The only reason it looks massive is because you see them up close in a level of detail not even seen in the studio painted models.

Yeah but the details on the minis are designed to be easy to paint and visible on the tabletop. Hence the heads/hands being oversized etc. It works on the combat map too but when you see the features zoomed-in it does look weird.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Do GW contracts have a clause that the parts need to exactly be what you can buy on a miniature? Will the tabletop Grey Knights players revolt if they can’t make perfect recreations of their squad in the computer game?

Edit: of course, after I say this I remember that Grey Knights fans revolted over taking any damage at all from cultists

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 24, 2022

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

I am not sure about scrolls, but I definetly made a minigame out of how many skull decals I could put on a Grey Knight.

Its was borderline heretical. Khorne would be proud.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
What kind of early-mid game setups do people like using for no willpower missions before you get good equipment?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just don't do those. Or a lot of grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jedit posted:

I think I'm done with this game already. I just had a mission where two of the blips were so close together that they couldn't be pulled separately no matter how carefully I moved, and as soon as they were cleared two packs of reinforcements spawned in and revived half the dead ones. 20+ enemies simultaneously is impossible to beat. This was the first Seed Carrier mission of the campaign, on Normal difficulty.

It's weird. I had a similar experience on the same mission, and for me it was extremely fun. Some real balls to the wall stuff.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

the game is literally called Chaosgate

Yeah but they're Orks. They don't need any lore reasons beyond "we herd dere wuz some propa scrappin' goin' on 'ere and wanted a go". Or Chaos opened a gate (huh, huh?) to a Tyranid hive fleet. Or a Necron tomb world.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 24, 2022